Day 7: Archive

140 posts in this topic

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

FOX Orders Two More '24' Days

The series and Kiefer's 20th Century Fox TV deal will both run through 2009

May 16, 2007

27106950.jpg

Kiefer Sutherland

FOX has renewed its Emmy-winning Monday anchor "24" for at least two more days.

With its sixth season finale approaching next Monday (May 21), "24" now has a seemingly secure spot on FOX's schedule through the 2008-09 season. Not-so-coincidentally, the renewal carries the show through the duration of star Kiefer Sutherland's contract with the show's production company, 20th Century Fox TV.

Last year was a good year for "24." The drama averaged 13.6 million viewers per week and won its first Emmy for outstanding drama series and for lead actor Sutherland. Although the ratings have been down only slightly, the sixth season has faced increased criticisms from fans over the ongoing plotlines. Producers have made repeated promises that there will be sweeping changes before next year.

Sutherland signed a reported eight-figure, three-year deal with 20th Century Fox TV last spring, a pack running through May 2009.

FOX also ordered a 13th season of the Saturday night sketch comedy series "MADtv," though that's probably a bit less exciting than the "24" renewal.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TODAYS NEWS: OUR TAKE

Fox Boss: 24 Will Undergo "A Significant Change"

As 24 prepares to present Season 6's final hours on Monday, attention has turned as of late to Jack Bauer's next trying day. As recently teased in TV Guide, a "huge transition" and "something completely new" await the series. And in his exit interview, Eric Balfour hinted at a farewell for CTU, as part of a sweeping "change of scenery." Hmm, what exactly is going to happen at 10:59 pm Monday?

Invited to weigh in on the coming "reinvention," Fox entertainment president Peter Liguori tells TVGuide.com, "It will be a significant change in the show. Obviously, I can't share any details, but I'm very excited. I'm excited because [executive producers] Joel [surnow], Bob [Cochran] and Howard [Gordon] are unbelievable writers, and... if they take what I think is the most daring show on television and decide to [stage] a greater high-wire act for next season, I think that

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, AUSIELLO REPORT

Exclusive: 24 Plot Tossed, Production Delayed

Season 7 of 24 promises to be its tensest yet. At least on the set.

Execs at the Fox hit have scrapped virtually their entire storyline for the season, delaying the start of production by roughly three weeks. According to sources, the 11th-hour time-out was called after the network put the kibosh on a costly plan to shoot a number of episodes in Africa. Producers briefly toyed with the idea of finding a location in Los Angeles that could sub for the continent, but ultimately, decided to ditch the whole concept and start over from scratch.

Although a 20th Century Fox spokesperson declined to comment, 24's expert scowler, Mary Lynn Rajskub, confirms that the clock for Day 7 has been reset. "I don't know what's going on over there, but they're going crazy," says the scene-stealer, who only learned last week that Chloe would even be returning. "We usually start [back up] at the end of July, and I don't think we're starting until a couple weeks into August now. It's kind of exciting, because I think [the postponement] means that they're really having to dig in there and come up with new stuff."

No doubt, the show's creative team already was feeling the pressure: Day 6 was considered to be about as explosive as a wet firecracker, so for season 7, they really needed a plot that was incendiary. In fact, news of the setback comes on the same day the semi-annual Television Week critic's poll (in which yours truly participated) named 24 the second worst show on TV, behind ABC's best-not-traveled October Road.

For more on 24's big rewrite

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TODAYS NEWS: MY TAKE

24's New Lady President Has Been Cherry-picked

Fox's 24 might not know exactly what story they are spinning this coming season

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TODAYS NEWS: MY TAKE

24 Embraces a More Eco-friendly Bauer Power

Has Jack Bauer found yet another new way to "save the world"? Fox announced on Sunday that 24 will strive to become the first television production ever to save enough energy and reduce enough carbon emissions over the course of a season to render its entire season finale

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV GUIDE NEWS

24's Kiefer Sutherland Is "Very Proud" of Last Season

Jack Bauer would probably have thought of an escape plan, but at the July 23 Fox All-Star party in Santa Monica, reporters literally cornered Kiefer Sutherland to get his thoughts on this past season of 24 and why Africa didn

Production Delays Plague '24'

Kiefer Sutherland drama still expected to premiere in January

August 16, 2007

27106950.jpg

Kiefer Sutherland

The producers of FOX's "24" are having a hard time getting this season's clock started.

For the second time this summer the production start date for the seventh season of "24" has been pushed back due to creative tinkering.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, shooting on the new "24" season was expected to begin on Aug. 27, but is being moved to Sept. 10 as writers scramble to complete a certain number of scripts.

At Comic-Con last month, producers admitted that the season's initial storyline -- rumored to take place largely in Africa -- fell through, a decision that initially moved the show's production start from late July to late August.

At the fan convention, the show's team admitted that they were attempting to correct some of the problems that plagued the lackluster sixth season of the Kiefer Sutherland-centric drama, specifically the repetition of certain season-to-season plot elements. The biggest change revealed at the time was that Los Angeles would no long be the center of the "24" action, with most events moving to Washington, D.C. In addition, the season would take place without CTU, at least not as an official government-sanctioned agency. It's unclear if those plans are still in the cards.

By this time last year, "24" was announcing guest stars at a rate of two or three a week, but the only new cast member announced so far has been Cherry Jones, playing the president of the United States.

As of now, "24" is still on target for its scheduled January premiere.

were attempting to correct some of the problems that plagued the lackluster sixth season of the Kiefer Sutherland-centric drama

Not nearly enough ass kicking moments and too much office drama/ love story crap. Jack Bower needs a gun pointed at someone ALL of the time and constantly screaming: Drop your weapon...

Throw in a couple of dirty double agents....and you've got it

I don't know what taking a bath has to do with international terrorist tracking, but I am open. :animated_scratchchin:

Fuskie

Who would not be surprised if the production delays turned into marketing opportunities as anticipatoin for the new day builds for the January clock tick-off...

Janeane Garofalo Finds Time for '24'

She's liberal... The show's conservative... Anarchy may reign!

August 21, 2007

32012718.jpg

Janeane Garofalo

Assuming that the seventh season of "24" can ever begin production, Janeane Garofalo is ready to clock in.

Garofalo will play a government agent investigating whatever crisis happens to be disturbing Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) next season. Her character's name is "Janis Gold" and she's described as an FBI systems analyst.

Garofalo is expected to be a regular on "24" next season, which is causing endless amusement for journalists eager to point out that while she's an outspoken liberal, the show's politics have often been accused of being conservative. The irony is, well, non-existent.

After two delays caused by a scrapped early storyline and insufficient scripts, "24" is scheduled to begin shooting on Sept. 20 with a January 2008 premiere date still in the cards. The only other previously announced cast addition for the new season is Cherry Jones, who will be the president in the show's universe.

Beyond voicing The Bearded Clam on the animated "Freak Show," Garofalo's last regular TV gig was an arc on NBC's "The West Wing." One of the voices in this summer's hit Pixar film "Ratatouille," Garofalo will next be seen in the Lifetime original "Binky."

First Husband Cast on '24'

Colm Feore joins new additions Cherry Jones and Janeane Garofalo

August 23, 2007

32065159.jpg

Colm Feore in 'The Chronicles of Riddick'

Canadians will infiltrate the White House on the next season of "24."

While Colm Feore won't be claiming the highest office in the land, the veteran actor -- a resident of Our Friendly Neighbor to the North -- has been cast as the First Husband on "24."

Cherry Jones was previously announced at the first female "24" president.

It isn't spoiling anything to note that there's a spotty history when it comes to "24" First Ladies and their sanity. Will Feore's character follow in the footsteps of Penny Johnson Jerald's Sherry Palmer or Jean Smart's Martha Logan?

While he's earned a reputation as one of Canada's most decorated stage and screen stars, Feore was actually born to Irish parents in Boston. Feore's American TV credits include the HBO film "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" and a guest turn on "Battlestar Galactica." He's been seen on the big screen in films ranging from "National Security" and "Paycheck" to the bilingual smash "Bon Cop, Bad Cop."

The seventh season of "24" is set to begin shooting on Sept. 10, a date that's already been pushed back due to a variety of production delays. In addition to Feore and Jones, new additions to the Emmy-winning drama include Janeane Garofa

24 Plus Nine Star and D.C. Setting Equals...?

John Billingsley, formerly of The Nine as well as Fox's own Prison Break, has been added to the Season 7 cast of 24 in the recurring role of "Latham." No other details on the character have been disclosed, however. Also, says the Reporter, Jeffrey Nordling (a recurring player on Dirt) has landed a series-regular gig on 24 as an FBI agent named Larry. The coming season of 24 will largely be set in Washington, D.C., says the trade.

PS to fans of The Nine: If the season/series finale, which broke online Thursday, left you with burning questions, share them in my Trivial Matt'rs blog.

Posted by Matt Webb Mitovich 08/31/07 8:49 AM

That's why they call it acting.

Fuskie

Who notes Alan Alda is as left as they come and yet has played some real bad righties in the movies as well as on The West Wing...

24 Clocks Back In with a Shocking Return

I will go out of my way not to blurt this out, lest someone castigate me for spoiling. But when Fox's 24 launches Season 7 on Jan. 13 and 14 with a two-night premiere, a familiar (though unexpected) face will put in an appearance. "With CTU dismantled, the show's setting moves to Washington, D.C., where Jack Bauer faces trial for his actions in the pursuit of justice," reads the Fox press release. "Bauer's day gets off to a shocking start when former colleague Tony Almeida (played by Carlos Bernard), last seen in Day 5, returns after being left for dead by a terrorist conspirator in CTU's infirmary."

Say wha?! "Tony's uncertain fate... left the door open for his return," explains exec producer Howard Gordon. "And since there was no silent clock at the conclusion of his last appearance

jenine garafalo? thats interesting, doesnt seem like a role she would play...

Well, I can guarantee that anything Jenine Garafalo plays it won't be played well. She's horrible.

From Zap2It.Com:

Back From The Dead - Resurrection and Politics on '24'

By Kate O'Hare, September 20, 2007

32664326.jpg

Howard Gordon, executive producer of FOX's thriller "24," says actor Carlos Bernard acted "very cool about it" when Gordon called him in his car to tell him that his character, Counter Terrorist Unit operative Tony Almeida, was not dead after all and would be returning for the show's 7th season on Sunday, Jan. 13.

"But I know," Gordon says, "when I hung up the phone, I'm sure he did one of those 'Jerry Maguire' screams in the car."

The most frequently seen character in "24" aside from its hero, CTU super-agent Jack Bauer (Keifer Sutherland), Tony was introduced in season one and continued through season five, suffering personal, physical and professional ups and downs, culminating in being left for dead after a rogue former CTU agent (Peter Weller) gave him what appears now to have been a non-fatal drug overdose.

"That's something, obviously, we're going to have to explain away," Gordon says. "Hopefully, in the spirit of creating a good show and creating an interesting season, people will allow the fun [of '24']."

Gordon also sees Tony's resilience as the key to his return.

"It really ranks among Tony's other resurrections," he says. "I mean, he was blown up in a blast and was supposed to die there. He was shot in the neck in the third episode of season three, shot in the aorta at point-blank range, and he was basically back at the controls eight hours later.

"So in the nine lives of Tony Almeida, this is just another chapter, hopefully the most interesting of them."

Without spilling the beans about the details, Gordon says, "It's not the what of it, but the how, that's interesting."

But, as for Tony's apparently deceased ex-wife, CTU operative Michelle Dessler (Reiko Aylesworth), Gordon says, "No, she's definitely six feet under. Believe me, I know. We thought about that, too. Then we thought that everybody's dead except for Jack, and he's seeing ghosts."

This season, the show moves beyond the Los Angeles-based CTU to Washington, D.C, where Bauer is facing trial for his extreme actions in the pursuit of justice.

Although the show's primary shooting location remains a former pencil factory in Chatsworth, Calif., Gordon says, "We're also going to go to D.C. and shoot there, somewhere around the mid-October area."

Asked if he plans to get the usual D.C. exteriors with the Capitol and the Washington Monument looming in the background, Gordon says, "No, I thought we'd shoot a Wal-Mart in Maryland. What do you think it's going to be?"

In his writing career, Gordon has worked on many shows, including "The X-Files" -- during which he split with writing partner Alex Gansa, who has now joined the "24" team -- and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

Like those two shows, "24" has moved beyond being just a TV phenomenon into being a genuine cultural phenomenon, from inspiring college courses to having Jack Bauer's name invoked by pundits, politicians and presidential candidates.

"In many ways," Gordon says, "we never set out to do that. That said, we certainly enjoyed that access and that kind of influence, but it's something, in a way, that was thrust upon us. It's one, also, that bit us in the ass."

In particular, Gordon is referring to allegations that the show promotes torture (frequently used as a plot device) and/or a right-wing political philosophy.

"Anybody who's a reasonable person," Gordon says, "would really be insane to imagine that this show posits any sort of political point of view. It's utterly insane. You could draw equally from both sides of the aisle."

He continues, "We've always obfuscated the parties and, in fact, contradicted ourselves probably multiple times, willfully. This thing is more metaphor. It's not a documentary.

"It plays with a compressed version of reality, clearly, on so many fronts. Ultimately, its only agenda is to tell a good story."

But in February 2007, a New Yorker magazine profile of show co-creator (with Bob Cochran) Joel Surnow had him referring jokingly to himself as a "right-wing nut job" and talking about his conservative politics.

"When Joel came out," Gordon says, "and declared his politics, or allowed his politics to be declared, suddenly our show became this propaganda machine. And I do think it hurt us."

Asked if the reaction might have been different if the declared politics had leaned in the opposite direction, Gordon says, "Great question. I don't know the answer to that. I don't know. When, obviously, the clear irony is that there's Evan [executive producer Evan Katz] on the far left, and me somewhere in the middle, and Joel on the right.

"It's like a spectrum of views shared by the writers who work on the show. Didn't seem to help."

Ever Carradine's On the '24' Clock

Actress will also recur on 'Women's Murder Club' this season

October 5, 2007

33021049.jpg

Ever Carradine

The latest new addition to this season's "24" cast is familiar face Ever Carradine.

The seventh season of the popular FOX drama began production began production last month with an assortment of fresh characters played by Cherry Jones, Janeane Garofalo and Colm Feore, plus Annie Wersching, Jeffrey Nordling, John Billingsley and Rhys Coiro.

Although The Hollywood Reporter has only a little information on Carradine's casting, the trade paper says that she'll play an FBI agent and that it will be a recurring role.

One of this season's big "24" shifts is the first female president (played by Jones) in the show's universe. While that may be shocking for some, Carradine covered the territory previously as one of the stars of ABC's short-lived "Commander in Chief."

Carradine is one of TV's most prolific guest stars, having done turns on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent," "Men in Trees," "Grey's Anatomy," "House" and "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" in recent years.

She'll also be recurring on ABC's freshman drama "Women's Murder Club" this season.

New '24' Conspiracy Involves Pope

Carly Pope will play the girlfriend to the First Son

October 9, 2007

33103142.jpg

Carly Pope

Another day, another new bit of "24" casting, with Carly Pope signing on for the FOX drama.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the "Popular" veteran will take a recurring role for the seventh season of "24."

Pope will play Samantha Roth, girlfriend of the president's (Cherry Jones) son. When he goes missing, Samantha appears to be connected to the disappearance. How this subplot, seemingly cribbed from FOX's short-lived "Vanished," will be connected to Jack Bauer and his Washington, D.C. adventures remains to be seen.

In addition to Jones, a regular this season, and Pope, other fresh "24" faces will include Janeane Garofalo, Colm Feore, Annie Wersching, Jeffrey Nordling, John Billingsley, Ever Carradine and Rhys Coiro.

Pope was most recently seen as pusher-to-the-stars "Garbo" on FX's "Dirt." Her difficult-to-publish list of upcoming credits features "Itty Bitty Titty Committee" and "Young People F***ing."

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV GUIDE NEWS

24 Trailer Premieres in Times Square

Not even the rain could keep the Jack Bauer faithful away from the world-premiere trailer for the new season of 24 in Times Square on Thursday.

An estimated 200 people congregated around the giant Panasonic screen to watch scenes from the much-anticipated two-hour Season 7 premiere that will air on Sunday, Jan. 13, at 8 pm/ET. Fox promotion winners from around the country were flown in from as far as Phoenix to attend the screening and get a chance to meet actress Mary Lynn Rajskub.

Here is a link to the season 7 trailer:

24 trailer

I think it's about time Jack Bauer got a day off.

Fuskie

Who figures his lawyers could have used more time for their defense...

One fallout of the Hollywood writers strike is that fans of Fox's drama "24" have to wait until next January to see Jack Bauer again.

The network has committed to air a full season on consecutive weeks and had been planning to start last month. If it had started airing new episodes of the Kiefer Sutherland action show soon, the season finale would not have taken place until the summer, when TV networks rarely show their high-profile programs.

A January 2009 start seemed the best way to comply with viewers' wishes that a season's episodes run without interruption to conclusion, Fox said Thursday.

From the Associated Press