Big Brother 8 ...in The Media

Lynnmurr

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Courtesy: Buddy TV

bb8article.jpg

Will Big Brother 8 be the end?

There is no doubt that Big Brother has a rabid and loyal fan base. When I first started covering the show last summer, I was astonished at how much fans were into their favorite reality TV show. The online presence is especially mind-blowing, with countless Big Brother apologists logging in and enjoying the live feeds, populating epic message boards, and more or less making Big Brother feel like the most popular show on the planet. Unfortunately, this loyal fandom is misleading.

Big Brother has increasingly struggled in the ratings over the past few seasons. There are various possible reasons for this: increased competition in the summer months, mishandling of the franchise, a formula becoming tired, etc. It's most likely that the combination of these things have culminated in Big Brother slowly slipping out of the national consciousness. It was questionable whether Big Brother would even receive an eight season. Will this summer be Big Brother's US swan song?

Former executvie producer Arnold Shapiro was forced out after Big Brother 7: All-Stars, which many purists viewed as an abomination. Allison Grodner steps in to try and revitalize the fledgling show. Can we expect some drastic changes? I would assume so. What these changes entail are a mystery. I suppose it is possible for extreme alterations to be made, perhaps even to the schedule. I always felt that, although the three episode a week system did make the show unique, the amount of episodes were overkill. They could easily cut it down to two a week, but I doubt they will.

If CBS head honcho Les Moonves wasn't married to Julie Chen, she would surely be shown the door. The difference between someone like Julie Chen and Jeff Probst is akin to the difference between that dried piece of gum under your seat on the subway and filet mignon.

The point is, if CBS doesn't figure it out and turn Big Brother back into the summer hit it once was, we probably won't see a Big Brother 9.

-Oscar Dahl, BuddyTV Senior Writer

(Image Courtesy of KiroTV.com)

Full Article: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/big-brothe...e-end-6223.aspx

Yeah, i personally like chin.... BB wouldnt be the same without her, sure somebody might be able to do a better job, but it wouldnt be the same.

kinda like Price is right without Bobby... sure somebody probably would do a better job, but it just takes so much stuffaway from the show.

i think we will get big brother through at least season 10, and even then it could get moved to a cable channel, due to how much the live feeds make.

i don't think big brother is going to get canceled for at least a few seasons yet, because they make a lot of money on the live feeds. all network tv is down right now. reality tv is also cheaper to make then scripted television. so they won't cancel a show like big brother, until they would have something else to replace it with.

they won't take a chance and replace it with something that could automatically bomb, and lose out on the big brother audience, and all the money they make on the live feeds. no tv station can just survive on reruns in the summer anymore.

it is just like with survivor. the ratings are down, but survivor is still a top rated show. it is still in the top 20. so until cbs has a sure hit to replace it with, survivor isn't going anywhere, and neither do i think big brother is either. they won't try to replace either show, until they feel they have a sure hit to replace it with.

I like the new house but there has to be a new rule that only the HOH is allowed in the HOH bedroom. Maybe with one guest but that's it. It would force the rest of the house to co-exist and possibly the HOH would feel isolated and it would add a bit of "Are they plotting against me" to the equation.

i do agree that you don't want want sleep overs in the hoh room like in bb6 that wasn't good. you have to be careful about limiting people in the hoh room though. if you limit it to too few at a time, then people won't be using it for scheming.

With the HOH room it would have to be all or nothing. Like they could make a rule that they are only allowed to talk about nominations in the HOH room AND only one guest is allowed in per day or even per week.

Archived