Big Brother 8: Brainstorming

Brekkie Boy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An idea I've said for awhile is that the winner of the veto can not only use it to save themselves or someone else, but is then allowed to decide the replacement nominee, instead of the hoh doing so.

Also, allowing the hoh to play in the following hoh competition is a cool idea, too.

That would give the Veto winner too much power though - arguably more than the HoH.

Don't like the idea of the HoH being eligible for the next comp though - that increases the chance of one alliance dominating the game. The fact they're not immune may make them an obvious target, but it also means they have to think more about their own nominations and the possible consequences.

The veto winner being able to pick the replacement nominee shouldn't mean too much power, just that the hoh should only try that much harder to prevent it, making it a more interesting game. That would change things in so many ways. And no more six people per veto challenge. Everyone should be included.

Also, allowing the hoh to compete back to back would once again make it more interesting not only to watch, but for the players to play, making them work even harder to win to crush the chance for the same person/group to have power every week.

:party_smilie: -Cute, haven't seen this icon before!

do veto before hoh comp

you @ the right spot twist. basically let say for three hg that are in kitchen, hot tub, bathroom etc they gets to evict the noms or play for hoh,veto.

How about having two rival HoH's every week.

Each HoH nominates just one person, and those two will be on the block. If they nominate the same person just that person is on the block until the Veto comp.

Then, with the Power of Veto the Veto winner doesn't get to decide the replacement - but they have all the power as they can replace one of the nominees with the person that nominated them. Yes, they can put the HoH on the block!

If the two HoH's nominate the same person, the Veto winner must either choose one of the HoH's to go on the block alongside the nominee or can save the nominee and put the two HoH's on the block instead.

It would completly change the status of HoH to a high risk position - you get the power to choose a nominee, but by nominating you risk being nominated yourself.

It does give the Veto holder alot of power, going against what I've been saying before - but also they're power is somewhat restricted as the potential nominees are restricted to just tje nominees and the people that nominated them. To give the HoH some advantage the nominees wouldn't be allowed to compete for the Veto.

However, perhaps fundamental changes on this scale is what is required to freshen up the format for BB8.

In reply to the HOH having disadvantages with having so much power they pay the price by having a dirty glass HOH room - My question is are HOH's required to sleep in there? I personally don't like the idea.

Anyways.....

A few ideas I had were ...

1. My thinking of the reasoning behind many Q&A challenges is because they are restricted to space in the backyard.

So why not have the HOH & Veto at another set where the guests are blinded and taken on a bus ride? I would like to

more survivor challenges. Hell MTV does better physical challenges for the Real World/Road Rules challenge.

2. Age - I understand the age of a contestent is 21 due to fact of alcohol in the house, but why can't they just make it

a rule and if it is broken they are immediatly disqualified if they consume alcohol. I think we would see more younger viewers

and more diverseness if the age was 18.

3. VETO -

A. Roll of the dice vetos - Veto is something that can not be a safety net or a five finger plan.

B. Team Vetos - 2 vs 2 - If I Chicken George am on the block and choose Kaysar to be my teammate and we win the veto challenge I am given veto like normal and Kaysar will gain immunity from next weeks nominations. This will change how people will actually try and not play half-a**. Even if I dont like the person I am playing for I will still want to get immunity.

4. Somehow this is crazy and not sure what I am getting at is that somehow I think there could be some kind of bargaining items or bankable items like the cout de ta - Kind of like Monopoly get out of jail cards.

5. Another idea is the houseguests each bank 1000 per week. and they could bargain there money for votes and or luxorys like a massage for one. Guests may also get rewards for doing certain things. Some kind of chart like if they win HOH 5000 .... Veto .... 7000 so on and so on

I got this idea from grade school our gym teacher gave out "big bucks" the class could save up for something like a pizza party or pie the teacher in the face or I soley could get a soda or my choice of what we do. But they can only trade their money once per week so they couldnt just keep one side with more money in control the whole game.

I may be insanely off with #5 but I might be onto something new!

Bring Back Penut butter and Jelly. no more slop (period!)

slop was a terrible idea

OH YEAH!

AND, if you are going to tell somebody they cant have food for the rest of the show(chicken George)..

STICK TO IT..

If your going to say "if you eat food when your not supose to, or you will be penalized with a nomination...

DO IT!

Bump! I really would like to hear some feedback!

In reply to the HOH having disadvantages with having so much power they pay the price by having a dirty glass HOH room - My question is are HOH's required to sleep in there? I personally don't like the idea.

Anyways.....

A few ideas I had were ...

1. My thinking of the reasoning behind many Q&A challenges is because they are restricted to space in the backyard.

So why not have the HOH & Veto at another set where the guests are blinded and taken on a bus ride? I would like to

more survivor challenges. Hell MTV does better physical challenges for the Real World/Road Rules challenge.

2. Age - I understand the age of a contestent is 21 due to fact of alcohol in the house, but why can't they just make it

a rule and if it is broken they are immediatly disqualified if they consume alcohol. I think we would see more younger viewers

and more diverseness if the age was 18.

3. VETO -

A. Roll of the dice vetos - Veto is something that can not be a safety net or a five finger plan.

B. Team Vetos - 2 vs 2 - If I Chicken George am on the block and choose Kaysar to be my teammate and we win the veto challenge I am given veto like normal and Kaysar will gain immunity from next weeks nominations. This will change how people will actually try and not play half-a**. Even if I dont like the person I am playing for I will still want to get immunity.

4. Somehow this is crazy and not sure what I am getting at is that somehow I think there could be some kind of bargaining items or bankable items like the cout de ta - Kind of like Monopoly get out of jail cards.

5. Another idea is the houseguests each bank 1000 per week. and they could bargain there money for votes and or luxorys like a massage for one. Guests may also get rewards for doing certain things. Some kind of chart like if they win HOH 5000 .... Veto .... 7000 so on and so on

I got this idea from grade school our gym teacher gave out "big bucks" the class could save up for something like a pizza party or pie the teacher in the face or I soley could get a soda or my choice of what we do. But they can only trade their money once per week so they couldnt just keep one side with more money in control the whole game.

I may be insanely off with #5 but I might be onto something new!

Taking your points in turn:

1 - Several versions have some kind of "Arena" seperate from the main garden for the challenges. I don't think space is the main issue though with the HoH challenges especially - it's time. There are several challenges though not Q&A based which could be completed in a few minutes - just simple things like collect the most ??? in a minute etc.

2 - I though you'd had contestants under 21 - wasn't Michelle (BB4) around 19? Even if 21 is the lower limit I don't think it's a major problem.

3 - Roll of dice is too random and doesn't make great TV. Team Veto's though I like - each nominee picking team members. In a two by two though if it was BBUK doing it they'd add a touch of evil in that if you and your partner won the Veto, you could save yourself but your partner would be automatically nominated instead.

4/5 - having some kind of currency in the house is interesting. They have to be careful not to over complicate things but it could be done. I get the idea of paying out for winning the HoH/Veto etc. - but you have to remember that not winning them is also a strategy too as Will has proved (twice) - arguably (well, no argument about it IMO) the best BB player of all time.

The core areas for improvement are definately the HoH challenges and the Veto set up - which IMO is best solved by the solution I've been suggesting for years. Begin the jackpot at $1,000,000 and knock off $100,000 everytime the Veto is used - meaning there is a consequence to using the Veto.

Just a thought, but after getting so many votes last year do you think even with a completly new cast they might decide to make the houseguests "America's Choice" once again, giving viewers a shortlist of 20 or so to choose from.

Personally I hope not as it's important to have the unlikeable characters in the house along with the crowd pleasing houseguests - but though the producers should choose the majority, how about letting America choose one.

Something BBUSA has NEVER done is introduce a houseguest later in the game, although it's a common feature of virtually all BB's around the world.

And it be really interesting with BBUSA sending someone in once alliances are formed.

I would suggest revealing a handful of potential HGs on the premiere show (3-5) who are all sequestered until one of them moves in. Voting would take place during the first week, with the winner moving in straight after the first eviction.

There is an obvious question of immunity now as you don't want the Kayser situation of them being voted in and evicted at the first opportunity - so I think they need to be immune for that first week, and perhaps as a twist automatically have the Power of Veto or something.

It could all be part of a twist to the season where the viewers do get greater control from choosing the final houseguest, one week determining who wins the Power of Veto and as discussed elsewhere, when it's down to the final two choosing who wins.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I love these threads. I've always thought it'd be fun to be a producer for Big Brother, just so you could do things like these.

Things I'd Like To See:

• Big Brother needs to actually be a big brother character. The only voice/person the HouseGuests should hear/see should be Julie Chen. The HGs should not know what the producer's voices sound like. The producers should use a male computer voice to talk to the HouseGuests, so it is completely de-personalized. The same should go for the diary room!

• Speaking of the diary room, I think CBS should post video on the Internet of the HouseGuest's diary room sessions. I'm sure there is a ton more DR content than we are being shown on the television, and I think that they should make an attempt to show us that video. Even if it's only for live feed subscribers, I think it's definitely something CBS should consider.

• Big Brother needs to be much more strict. Rather than play the "Stop that!" recording fifteen times, HouseGuests need to be sent to lock down. Plain and simple. If a HG keeps singing, they need to be locked in the diary room/bedroom/wherever.

• The feeds need revamping. When a HouseGuest starts singing, rather than putting up fire (or whatever this year's cover-up will be), they need to immediately switch to another feed. It would take a live feed technician the same amount of time to click a button that says "camera 18" than it would "fire." If this really is a potential problem, then go ahead and cut to fire for a second. But then immediately switch to a different camera! If Howie is upstairs singing in the shower, I doubt everyone downstairs is doing the same thing. Also: they need to stop having four cameras focused on the same people/person.

• Big Brother needs to mess with the minds of the HouseGuests. For instance, I've always thought that Big Brother should play with the heat/AC so that the house goes from cold to warm regularly. Everytime the HouseGuests are ready to strip of a layer of clothing, pump the AC!

• Big Brother should provide the HouseGuests with one, non-digital, wall-mounted clock. Big Brother needs to be able to control this, so that they can control time. Like the temperature, this would be done to mess with the HGs. For instance, when all the HouseGuests are chatting and having fun, BB time should speed up (so that 2 BB minutes = 1 real life minute). Conversely, when they are bored and doing nothing, time should be slowed down (1 BB minute = 2 real life minutes). Obviously, they'd have to keep track of this so that each day has twenty-four real life hours and that the sun isn't settings at different times each day.

• Less Q/A competitions! I'd rather see interesting but pre-recorded HOH competitions than live, boring HOH competitions. It's getting so repetitive that eventually Big Brother will run out of new questions to ask the HouseGuests. Likewise, I'd like to see more variation in the "classic" competitions. For instance, I liked that they did the whole egg thing on the spider web last year.

• Big Brother needs to keep the HouseGuests guessing. For instance, why not let a pig run loose one day so that the HouseGuests all think there's going to be a pig-related competition soon. Then, remove the pig and don't ever mention it again.

• I'd like more built in secrets and twists. For instance, the secret room that Rachel found during S6 was great. They need to do things like this more often. I also liked the safes that were found in the gold room, which contained passes to get out of PB&J, etc. These "easter eggs" should be regularly hidden around the house. Some could even be bad -- for instance, "by touching this card, you have automatically lost your vote for eviction this week."

• I kind of touched on this with the whole online diary room entries, but with the rise of vlogging, why not give the HouseGuests a camera and a computer to edit their video footage on. This would give us an exclusive look from the eye's of the HouseGuests.

Random idea I had last night, which I've just about remembered, concerning the Veto.

Basically, somehow as well as the Veto winner, you have a Veto Loser - so if the Veto winner takes a nominee off the block, the Veto Loser automatically replaces them.

P.S. TheNunOwnedGoat (I'm not going to ask where that name came from!) - some pretty good ideas, agree on most of what you say. Using the website for more unscreened content is a must - whether diary room or other - while I agree the feeds need revamping. Perhaps cutting down to three feeds - but making more effort to ensure they're different, would be for the better. They could keep the fourth but use it perhaps for a one-hour delayed feed. I know here in the UK we have delayed coverage which can be useful if like me, you're one of them people who always tune in after the event.

And of course agree on the Q&A comps for HoH - though I do think even in the 5-minute or so restriction it's still possible to do comps of a different nature live. They've done a few before, so why not again.

Going back to that idea of messing with time - a simple challenge is to give each HMs a clock (which they can't see) and Julie starts the clocks, with the HMs then having to stop the clock after one minute. The closest to the minute wins HoH.

There are other skill based games they could do occassionally, while they could also have some that like the endurance games, carry over onto the live feeds. They don't have to be endurance based - they could infact be the first one to get out of a cage or something, or clue based like the Coup d'Etat challenge.

Like the person that came in last or was put out first or in the case of timed events the one with the slowest time?

I guess so.

Or possibly you have some sort of high stakes event which cuts the competition down to 2 - and then the winner gets the Power of Veto and the loser (i.e. runner-up) is the Veto Loser.

Could be done quite easily - just a couple of scenarios to consider regarding who is the Veto Loser.

If it's a non-nominee - and not the HoH - it's not really a problem.

If somehow (highly unlikely, but perhaps games could be devised so it could happen) the Veto Winner and the Veto Loser is the same person, the rules apply so if they use the Veto, they are nominated.

If the Veto Loser is a nominee I guess either the Veto Winner can't change noms, or if they do they can only save the other nominee and the HoH names a replacement.

The biggest issue is if the HoH is the Veto Loser - perhaps they keep immunity, but the Veto winner can use the Veto and decide the replacement.

I'm hoping that we will be treated to a new Janelle or Will but I doubt it! I don't think anyone will ever be able to live up to these 2 who in my opinion are the best players of all time!

• 1 month later...

Another random Veto idea which again discourages the backdoor.

If the Veto is used - BOTH nominees are saved, and all other HGs face the vote instead. (So HoH, nominees and Veto winner are immune).

It's then a free vote amongst all the HGs, with HoH voting to break any tie.

Archived