Out of the Closet

Cajunboiler

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a close (gay) family relative who was a school teacher and has advanced his carreer to a high level school district administrator.

He was married for 10 years, has children, is very religious since age 16. At the age of 35 he moved out of his home and filed for divorced because he FINALLY accepted that there was nothing he could do to change his sexuality (religion, getting married, having children, professionally successful, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc). For 20 years +/-, he tried everything he could, and once he accept his sexuality he admitted privately, he was happy.

However, he remains in the closest because the moment he would publicly state he was "gay" somehow, some way, he would be fired. Some body would find that he took home a pen that belonged to the school district, or that his 1995 tax return was off by $10, or......

Echo unfortunately that continues to be a sad reality today. I personally don't give two hoots if someone is gay, straight, black, white or green! What matters to me and should be what is important is what kind of person they are. Are they kind, do they treat others the way they want to be treated, do they care about ALL living creatures. (oh and most important - do they let me turn in front of them on the road!)

If being gay was widely accept, then there would be no need to report it as news. Before interracial relationships were accepted, they too received a lot of attention/scorn. I don't think it's impossible to hope for a day where being gay doesn't make the news.

Sadly, we still live in an ever ignorant society where one's reputation weighs heavily on the image they're associated with. At the moment, being gay doesn't carry a very positive image. I agree with whomever said that the more positive, "normal" celebrities who come out, make it easier for those still waiting to, to. I'm so sick of seeing the flamboyant gay person image, no wonder it gets such a bad rap.

Not to mention, we're way more gossipy than we use to be. The way the paparazzi has pried their way into people's lives makes it seem like we should have free access to everything about them. It's like they don't even have the right to a personal life anymore whether they're gay, straight, bi, whatever. We need to know who they're kissing, sleeping with, etc.

I'm actually more shocked when people say they are "not" gay. I don't mean like Larry Craig's, "I'm not gay" but like Eddie Izzard's, "Love the ladies."

The people who feel that a celeb's sexual preference is news, are the same people who believe a celeb's plastic surgery/ eating habits are news. The paparazzi is also employed by the people who want a majority of people to not think (I mean really think) about the government, domestic terrorism and those pesky entangling foreign affairs.

The paparazzi is also employed by the people who want a majority of people to not think (I mean really think) about the government, domestic terrorism and those pesky entangling foreign affairs.

This statement is so hysterically funny to me that I had to point it out. And by hysterically funny, I mean ridiculous.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

popeater_logo.jpg and people55x23.jpg

Aiken Sets Record 'Straight'

61-cover.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

Clay Aiken's People Magazine cover

Clay Aiken is gay. After years of dodging rumors and speculation, in a People Magazine exclusive the former "American Idol" Runner-Up gives his "Ellen"-inspired admission: "Yes, I'm Gay."

"It was the first decision I made as a father," says Aiken, 29, who recently had a child through a surrogate mother. "I cannot raise a child to lie or to hide things. I wasn't raised that way, and I'm not going to raise a child to do that."

Aiken says he knows his newborn son will have a lot to process and interpret once he grows up. "Whether it be having a child out of wedlock, or whether it be simply being a homosexual, it's going to be a lot," he told People Magazine.

aiken2.jpg

Clay Aiken

"I have no idea if he'll be gay or straight. It's not something I'll have anything to do with, or that he'll have anything to do with. It's already probably up inside the code there . . . No matter what the situation you're in, if you're raised in a loving environment, that's the most important thing."

Aiken also spoke about how he actually broke the news to his mother. "I started crying in the car. It was dark. I was sitting there, thinking to myself. I don't know why I started thinking about it . . . I just started bawling. She made me pull over the car and it just came out," he says.

Aiken wasn't the first celebrity to come out on Tuesday. After months of speculation, Actress Lindsay Lohan finally divulged that she is dating DJ Samantha Ronson. Aiken had lashed out at Diane Sawyer during an interview just over two years ago when she asked about rumors of his sexuality. "At some point it becomes really rude," he said to Sawyer.

clayaiken3.jpg

Clay Aiken

"I don't understand why you want to know. I don't know why it's any of your business," Aiken added. He had also refused to come out of the closet to People Magazine in an interview done the same week as his sit-down with Sawyer. Plus, Aiken said constant questioning of his sexuality in the tabloids had affected him deeply.

"Even though stuff about me that I read in the magazines isn't true, it still makes me lose sleep," he said. "I hurt, not just for my mother who has to watch it happen and who hurts for me. At least when I was in middle school . . . I understand why they picked on me."

"What do you say? It's like when I was 8. I remember something would get broken in the house, and Mom and Dad would call me in and say, 'Did you do this?' Well, it didn't matter what I said. The only thing they would believe was yes. People are going to believe what they want."

Can someone help me here...

Did Clay A. "come out" as a lesbian?

His appearance has changed so much in those pictures that he looks like a Butch female - not a gay male.

Too strange.

That Clay dude is creepy... And a liar... Hasn't he denied being gay for years?? To the point of having a kid??

Don't know him personally ( as a rule I like creepy )... however, he had a child with his bf ( manager I THINK ) by invetro. Now, liar? True enough. But it's the same reason so many NORMAL people hide their sexuality. They're not accepted and religion is the LARGEST influence of their lack of exceptance. You know, the OTHER perfect people. gacks

Other perfect people???

I thought we were the only two in existance??

But yeah the "god hates gays" stuff is wacked... Dunno maybe religious folk got tired of getting poked when they "turned the other cheek"...

:burnsinhell:

Did Clay A. "come out" as a lesbian?

Clay is really Rosie...

I'm not surprised to read that Clay Aiken is gay. I find it interesting people feel lied to now that he has publicly spoken about his personal life. Haven't we all known he was gay? How big of a lie was it really? I wish him all the best!

• 1 month later...

popeater_logo_small.jpg

Wanda Sykes Is Out and Proud

wanda_sykes.jpg

Wanda Sykes

LOS ANGELES, California -- Comedian Wanda Sykes is openly gay, but was content to keep discussions of her sexual orientation private -- until Proposition 8 passed in California. Sykes surprised organizers of a Las Vegas rally for gay rights with an unscheduled appearance on Saturday, November 15.

Sykes told the crowd, "You know, I don't really talk about my sexual orientation . . . I was just living my life, not necessarily in the closet, but I was living my life. Everybody that knows me personally they know I'm gay. But that's the way people should be able to live their lives."

She further explained that the passage of Prop 8 felt like an attack on her lifestyle. "Now, I gotta get in their face," she said. "I'm proud to be a woman. I'm proud to be a black woman, and I'm proud to be gay."

george_clooney.jpg

George Clooney

The proposition to adopt a constitutional amendment outlawing same-sex marriage -- overturning the earlier state Supreme Court decision giving gay couples the right to wed -- passed with approval by 52% of California voters. Not surprisingly, a number of gay and straight celebrities are airing their disappointment.

George Clooney told E!'s Ted Casablanca, "At some point in our lifetime, gay marriage won't be an issue, and everyone who stood against this civil right will look as outdated as George Wallace standing on the school steps keeping James Hood from entering the University of Alabama because he was black."

Openly gay talk show host Ellen Degeneres, who recently married her partner, actress Portia de Rossi, made a statement on her show's website, reading, "This morning, when it was clear that Proposition 8 had passed in California, I can't explain the feeling I had."

ellenandportia.jpg

Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi

"I was saddened beyond belief," Degeneres continued. "Here we just had a giant step toward equality and then on the very next day, we took a giant step away. I believe one day a 'ban on gay marriage' will sound totally ridiculous. In the meantime, I will continue to speak out for equality for all of us."

Last week, Lindsay Lohan's girlfriend Sam Ronson expressed sadness that California voters approved an animal-rights initiative while rejecting the opportunity to uphold gay rights. She blogged about her anger on her MySpace site.

Ronson wrote, "I guess people care more about farm animals than they do their fellow man, that's really sad to me . . . I just think it's frightening that people show more compassion for tomorrow's dinner than for the chef."

Etheridge_Tammy.jpg

Melissa Etheridge and Tammy Lynn Michaels

A blog post by Melissa Etheridge on The Daily Beast joked that the gay population of California should no longer have to pay taxes without equal rights to marriage. "[My wife] and I are not allowed the same right under the state constitution as any other citizen."

Etheridge added, "Okay, so I am taking that to mean I do not have to pay my state taxes because I am not a full citizen. I mean that would just be wrong, to make someone pay taxes and not give them the same rights, sounds sort of like that taxation without representation thing from the history books."

Gay and straight celebs showed up to a protest rally in West Hollywood recently. Among the stars in attendance were Ricki Lake, Rose McGowan and Wanda Sykes.

no shock to me

I'm not easily shocked or surprised either by the celebs that finally "come out." However, I posted this thread originally to show my support for those celebs (or individuals) that are finally free to live and celebrate their life in the open. I posted the previous article to open up the dialogue about California's Prop 8 and show my support to my gay friends.

Sidebar to uvp: LOVE your avatar!!!

thanks Paige

i have one better but i wont bring it out until bb

i want to see a big name sports star come out

hollywood seem accepting idk if it would rolled over so much in the sports community

Archived