For literati:

samg

... but BBfans are still spending a couple of hours at a stretch online, watching the LF's or LFU's, and there's not much game-play to talk about, and if you are bored by the J&W showmance (as I am) here's a diversion - which may fall off the front page very quickly if the 4 or 5 "serious" folks (by which I mean those who actually read multiple-paragraph posts because they enjoy ideas which are deep enough that they can't be expressed with two lines of text and a smiley - and I give you my word there is NO judgment intended there: I am LITERALLY spelling out who I think this thread is for) with whom I've interacted this season don't post to it.

And that's okay, but since "BBfans are still spending a couple of hours at a stretch online, watching the LF's or LFU's, and there's not much game-play to talk about" I want to ask if anyone else has had the experience during BB season of finding a quote or a well-known phrase, or a line from a song popping into your head "for no reason," and then realizing that it may be about BB? (I don't dream about the game, but when I'm awake any of many occurrences will bring it to mind.)

I know that with song lines it's not uncommon: I've told many people about how sometimes when I'm talking with someone I'll hear a song in the back of my mind, and when "I listen to it" I find that the words have a meaning that applies to my thoughts in the conversation. And MANY others have indicated that they had had the same experience. So I suspect that what I'm experiencing with the quotes, etc., during BB season may be happening with some others also.

If so, why not post the quote/phrase/lyric here, along with the source, and, if it's not obvious, why you think something on BB made it come into your mind.

Obviously I'll begin:

I was writing about George in "his" thread and found myself ending with "Remember what peace there may be in silence" with reference to his gameplay.

Then I consciously tried to put the line in its context, thought I had it but went to check - I have the full text of the source hanging on the kitchen wall, but it's right as one enters the kitchen, not someplace where one would stand and look at it, and of course since it's been there for years so I don't notice it most of the time, and the line I really like is much later in the text.

But my memory of the opening was correct, and I feel sure that it came to mind because it so closely describes my perception of George:

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. ..."

---- Desiderata

you have very deep thoughts, and are truly a dedicated fan.

I enjoy the show, and look forward to reading the many posts and such here. Sadly, with 2 young kids I don't have as much as I would like to to chat with folks here.

Actually, I've thought several times of a poem by John Donne.

The last line is usually quoted as "Ask not for whom the bell tolls - it tolls for thee". Donne actually wrote "Send not to know for whom...." etc. The words are spoken to a dying man who hears chuch bells ringing, indicating someone has died.

I've thought of that line several times in the context of BB,

most recently when Danielle asked Erica who she was going to put on the block.

I was in the music field for a long time, so I always have snippets of songs running through my head that I can't seem to get out of there. I've never thought about them in the context of Big Brother, until I read your post.

But strangely enough, I was watching the feeds last night and saw the dress-up dinner they had with the Surf 'n Turf, where the guys picked up the girls in their rooms and had a triple-date, and this morning I woke up with the hook to the Grand Funk song "Bad Time for Being in Love" continually running through my head. It's still there. It's a great tune, so it's enjoyable. I never thought twice about relating it to Will and Janelle until I read your post. Coincidence? Maybe-----I did hear it a couple of days ago-----but maybe not. :D

Last week I pulled out an old favorite album, "Equal Scary People" by Sara Hickman, and downloaded one song in particular called "Song For My Father" to my PC. To me it's a song about finding an anchor amidst loneliness. It starts out with:

If we got stuck

In the middle of the sea

Could you think of things

To say to me?

Music plays a huge part of my life - I like to think that with each musical choice I am creating the soundtrack to my own personal movie, so I think you are right to wonder if emotions/thoughts drive our....hmmm..."musical consciousness".

To me the Big Brother experience has to be lonely, trying to find someone to trust and rely on...and with that, I suppose, it's no surprise this song has re-entered my current musical score.

I'd add a smiley, but refuse to be vulnerable. Oh, hell...why not? ;)

I can't even say how many times a quote from Emerson's Self Reliance zips through my head as I watch these hamsters (any hamsters). But lately there is one I can't get out of my head every time I watch George sitting all alone. It's from the essay, A Poet's Advice to Students, by e.e.cummings.

To be nobody-but-yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.

Must note that I'm not surprised by most of the names who've replied so far. Write on! (And welcome to anyone else who's "bothered" to read the initial multi-paragraoh post!)

PS: Tarman, "coincindence? maybe not" is, I think, exactly right: Just as our non-conscious mind incorporates the events of the past day or two into our dreams, although often the motivation for the dream is unrelated to those details and they are merely utilized as readily-available symbols, so I think the process of incorporating recently-heard songs into pre-conscious messages-to-oneself results from the identical sub-process.

After all, "coincidence" is just "coincide - ence".

And although it's far from "literate", a (clearly set-up) piece of conversation I heard on a late-night TV talk-show has been popping in and out of my mind recently (I'll admit I thought it was VERY funny when I first heard it):

Sarah Silverman was being interviewed by Conan and he said that some people had said her (comedy) material was racist (she does very liberal jokes).

She replied: 'Racist? Me? How can they say that. My boyfriend is half black and I just KNOW he's going to break my heart sometime soon. ... No, I shouldn't be such a pessimist, I should say "he's half white." '

And I feel certain that the driving force behind that thought's being so close to my consciousness lately is the clause "I just KNOW he's going to break my heart sometime soon" and my concern for Erika.

It's gotta be more than coincidence-----I heard it two days ago, and it didn't start going through my mind for two days, the morning sfter their dinner. Weird.

In a few people those songs, etc. become really intrusive to the point of keeping them from getting a decent nights sleep, not being able to concentrate, etc., and it's become an identifiable medical condition in those people. The common term for it is "ear worms", but the medical term is something I'll have to Google. It's an odd kind of tinnitus. Fortunately almost nobody in the world has it. It's treated with relaxants like Paxil.

With me, as with most people, it's kinda pleasant, since it's almost always a catchy tune. Right now it's Kelly Clarkson'e "Walk Away". {Some guy on this crazy MTV program was looking for his own Kelly Clarkson} :D

I'm sure if it's Janelle, Will , and Chicken George in the final three, and Janelle chooses Will for final two, I'll have both songs titled "Stupid Girl" going through my head, maybe at the same time. :lol:

How I wish, how I wish you were here.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year.

Running over the same old ground and how we found the same old fears...

Wish you were here.

Ahhhh, Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here. A suitable mantra during the winter when the show isn't on. Same old story, same fear that the people one doesn't like will get booted, and still addicted, year after year.

How about a little philosophy from Shunryu Suzuki:

"This is the ultimate fact: I am here."

If George was a Zen master, it would have to be his mantra (I'm mixing my religions), but if I were Janelle, I would say that to everyone if she makes it to the final two (because that will be a miracle).

Of course, I would also go for the Garbage "Stupid Girl" lyrics, especially:

"Don't believe in Fear/Don't Believe in Pain/Don't believe in anyone that you can't tame"

(For Jani and Dani)

And at the risk of being cruel...

"A million lies to sell yourself is all you ever had"

(For Erica)

nice post, your pm was scary to though, I still don't know what you were talking about and neither do I. Dam, Now I gotta play poker,,,,,,,,,,,, only 5056 entries,, damn.... dam dam.. I was hoping 2000

This is slightly off-topic, and relates to the "ear worm" phenomena brought up by Tarman above. I've read a little about this problem and discovered one helpful tactic to cure the brain itch.

It seems that our brains naturally linger on incomplete tasks rather than complete tasks - I'm assuming that there is some instinctive part of our natures that wants to solve puzzles. Having said that, when we repeat songs in our heads, it's usually one or two lines over and over, and therefore an incomplete representation. If you study the music lyrics or listen to the entire song a few times, you'll then see/hear the song as a whole - it will be complete, and you can move on with your life!

Here's an old one from the 70's that was recorded by The Temptations and The Undisputed Truth. In my search for the exact lyrics, I found out Joan Osbourne has a version also of "Smiling Faces Sometimes".

Smiling faces sometimes pretend to be your friend

Smiling faces show no traces of the evil that lurks within

Smiling faces, smiling faces sometimes

They don't tell the truth, huh

Smiling faces, smiling faces

Tell lies and I got proof

The truth is in the eyes

Cause the eyes don't lie, amen

Remember a smile is just

A frown turned upside down, My friend

Beware, beware of the handshake

That hides the snake

I'm telling you beware

Beware of the pat on the back

It just might hold you back

Jealousy (Jealousy)

Misery (Misery)

Envy

Your enemy won't do you no harm

Cause you'll know where he's coming from

Don't let the handshake and the smile fool ya

Take my advice I'm only try' to school ya

Everytime I see WillBoogie pick off another person or get someone else to target their victim, I think of this song.

I love this thread!

I am with Princess when she said, "Now, with every song I hear, I'm going to be seeing if it applies to what's going on in the BB house."

I don't get to listen all that much to music since I prefer to talk to my kids in the car. But now that my son is turning in to a Rocker (thanks to Supernova) I get to hear a fear more jingles. Now I am going to have to listen to them with the intent of relaying them to BB. Oh the stress of it!!!! <_<

Okay, just because this thread exists and tonight is going to be such a whopper ...

I love these 'live' nights. And I do experiment with throwing energy to my favorite of the night.

I have a quote for that, too, just not at this moment.

-- . -- . -- . -- . -- . -- . -- . -- . -- .

And to the concept behind this thread, Mr. Q --

I really don't feel it's coincidence. The nature of pure math allows for both the coming together and the exception to the rule. It goes on even when we're not paying attention.

I prefer to call the stuff of this thread 'selective perception'.

Anybody remember the animated movie, The Point, and Oglio wandering in the Pointless Forest with his dog, Arrow?

"You see what you want to see,

and hear what you want to hear."

Quote: "I may talk a lot but I don't say anything" Source: My Mother.

Many years ago my mother was trying to teach my brother and I a life lesson about being nice to people, being freindly but not revealing too much about yourself to most people. She said: "I may talk a lot but don't say anything". My brother and I cracked up and agreed with Mom.

Most of the Big Brother talk this season and sadly most of the stuff people post makes me think of that quote.

Having some time to think more about this topic....

Love the idea of certain songs connecting you with situations in the house.

As a fan of Rockstar Supernova - all that is going thru my head right now is "Teenage Wasteland" - anyone see that connection?? :blink:

I don't know much about music recorded after The Beatles broke up. Can you give us the lines that apply?

And PS, as long as I'm posting, I'm pleased (but VERY surprised) that this thread is still "in the house" (on the front page) after "Offspring of any two BB HG's" was evicted! Write on!

gotta love cut and paste:::

Out here in the fields

I fought for my meals

I get my back into my living

I don't need to fight

To prove I'm right

I don't need to be forgiven

Don't cry

Don't raise your eye

It's only teenage wasteland

Sally ,take my hand

We'll travel south crossland

Put out the fire

Don't look past my shoulder

The exodus is here

The happy ones are near

So let's get together

Before we get much older

Teenage wasteland

It's only teenage wasteland

Teenage wasteland

Oh..yeah

Teenage wasteland

They're all wasted

There was a great Sweet song in the seventies that I was thinking about while Will and Jani were discussing who she would put up tonight on the live show...I can't remember all the words, just the funniest part of the chorus:

"Little Willie Willie won't go home"

I was a huge The Who fan when I was in high school. I used to listen to "Love Reign O'er Me" over and over from a Quadrophenia record with these huge head phones. LOL!

The Teenage Wasteland song is actually called "Baba O'Riley" - Pete Townsend wrote it as an homage to a philosopher and songwriter. The lyrics, I think, are about escape or survival among desolation. Who knows after all that acid. ;)

Damn - google is opening way too many windows for me to get the lyrics for this one.

Little Willie willie won't go home

But you can't push Willie round, willie won't go

Start telling everybody ???

Oh no

Little willie willie won't go home

Best guess anyway

Little Willie Willie Won't Go Home - warning - only watch this video if you are a Wilma fan! And no, I did not create this, lol, although my feelings around him are firmly planted on the soon-ending (TG) BB rollercoaster:

Archived