5 replies to this topic

#1 morty

morty

(Well, You Know....)

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

When I had to go into the hospital last year I called a friend that really knows his soaps and told him to bring me up to speed on three of the best so I could watch them while I heal.

He told me "All My Children," "One Life to Live," and "General Hospital" were the best and real easy to watch, 'cause they're all on ABC right after each other.

So I joined AMC just as Bianca and Babe are having their babies. I figured it would take a few weeks to straighten out that mess and get the right baby with the right mother.

I was so mad that it took so long, and all the cheap tricks we were subjected to I stopped watching after Bianca left for Europe.

I still tune in from time to time. It's sort of like BB, you spend so much time with these people you feel like you know them.

I never caught on to "General Hospital," I can't even find the hospital on the show.

Many people say my friend blew it and I should have been watching the CBS soaps instead. Maybe next time.

-M

#2 salter-path

salter-path

Columnist

• Pip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

I confess I carry a 4 inch casio tv in my purse just for days when I am away from home ( oops.gif for soaps)...never ever leave home without it!

And..I confess.. I LOVE THIS FOURUM... finally the Soaps get their respect with their own special place:-) Thank you!

#3 Lauren

Lauren

• Pip
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:18 PM

My confession is that I started watching seriously in THE 4TH GRADE. LOL My grandfather (yes my GRANDFATHER) use to watch Edge of Night religiously which was on ABC. I used to watch that and then in the 4th grade I had an accident which kept me home part of the school year. Sometimes I am bored, sometimes (like with the baby switch storyline) I want to throw my tv through the window, but I agree with Morty after a while it feels like you know these people.

PS. Ratings for GH are at an all time low. I am not surprised that jumping in last year you didnt much care for the show. I am hearing at different sites that some major changes may be on the way. In fact, Darcy over at soapscope.net has started a letter writing campaign to appeal to ABC to basically put the hospital back in GH (less sonny centric story telling, full use of the cast etc.)

#4 TheStilesClan

TheStilesClan

• Pip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:33 PM

Ive watched CBS off and on since I was like 12

#5 mango

mango

• Pip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(Lauren)
Ratings for GH are at an all time low.  I am not surprised that jumping in last year you didnt much care for the show. I am hearing at different sites that some major changes may be on the way. In fact, Darcy over at soapscope.net has started a letter writing campaign to appeal to ABC to basically put the hospital back in GH (less sonny centric story telling, full use of the cast etc.)

I've been hearing the same thing for the past few months, that they will be centering the stories around the hospital again. For me, GH went downhill after Brenda (Vanessa Marcil) left.

I still like Y&R and I'm addicted to the Bold and the Beautiful because it's only a half hour long each day, ending well before I get bored.....

#6 Lauren

Lauren

• Pip
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:54 PM

[quote=mango]For me, GH went downhill after Brenda (Vanessa Marcil) left.[/color]

And the joke of that is that they didnt have to lose Vanessa. As I understand it she is very sentimental about GH. She wanted to stay but as a new mom she wanted to have a limited work schedule. When GH got her back on for that 6 month period ratings skyrocketed so they were writing her in 5 shows a week. TIIC basically pushed her until she left, and not only did they lose someone who really pulled in viewers, but IMHO they ruined the character of Jax and to a lesser extent Skye in the process.

NBC on the other hand gave her a sweetheart deal to be on Vegas (notice she isnt on every week, which is what she wanted.) But NBC has daytime problems of their own. DOOL hit an all time ratings low for that show last week and Passions in always near the bottom in the ratings pool.

CBS is also I think going to have some problems coming up soon. The budget for daytime was slashed by Network Execs. and a big paycut was pushed on the staff. Thats why some of the veteran actors have been let go and you will see changes with the cuts they will have to make in production costs. I've been reading the CBS sets are not happy places right now.

Michael Bruno, who is one of the most prominent agents for Daytime stars has said that in the past a contract soap actor could make between 450-600K per year. He thinks those days are over and we are going to see more and more actors pushed to recurring.

In the past few years we lost Another World and Port Charles. I definately could see more cancellations in the future, as talk shows are in general much less expensive to produce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users