Duke and Lauren Marcoccio

the-amazing-race-20060717000553484.jpg

All team photos: Robert Voets/CBS

Name: Duke Marcoccio

Hometown: Warwick, R.I.

Name: Lauren Marcoccio

Hometown: Warwick, R.I.

Relationship: Father/Daughter

When Lauren told her family that she was gay, her father didn't react well to the news and the two were estranged for several years. They are currently rebuilding their relationship and hope the Race will help them recapture the closeness they once shared.

I really should read bios, when I first saw their picture I pegged them as a married couple :lol:

Guest StarBaby

I felt really bad for Lauren when her dad said she was a disappointment. Her face just fell. That was a cold stupid thing to say about your own kid.

dad seems to have a sexual crush on his daughter, kind of sick relationship

Gee, I didn't pick up on that at all. And I don't think many people share your observation. Are you maybe pulling from personal experience or your own fantasies?

I can relate to this one. My daughter is gay and it was hard for me to accept. On the outside I really showed her my support and never waivered on my love. In my heart I had to really work through some issues. She is my only child. I had dreams of her being happily married and grandchildren. Not gunna happen.

All that being said I love my daughter with all my heart and I could not ask for a more loving and caring child.

I think this team will be interesting for me.

I felt bad for her when he said she was a dissapointment, however I can understand, I know my Dad is very old fashioned and he would be dissapointed too. Hopefully the race will help them bond and he can get over it, at least a little more.

As for the sexual crush thing - I didnt feel that at all.

Guest StarBaby
I had dreams of her being happily married and grandchildren. Not gunna happen.

Sure it could -- maybe not in the conventional way, but gay couples have babies (or gay women who don't necessarily have a partner but want a child). There are lots of sperm donors out there. Kudos to you for always showing your love and support to her and the world, even if on the inside you were working things out. That is that part that bothered me about the dad last night was that he expressed his disappointment to the daughter and the rest of the world. I am betting it's not the first time she heard it from him either. The expression on her face just broke my heart.

Lay off the dad. Just because he expressed what he initially felt about his daughter does not make him a bad person. Being willing to run this race with her proves that he loves her and wants to better their relationship. A lot of parents have felt disappointment in their children at sometime or another. It's how you act upon it that matters. I was such a screw up when I was younger I know I disappointed my father. He died before I straightened out and he never knew how much I turned my life around. This team has the potential to make me cry.

Guest StarBaby
Lay off the dad. Just because he expressed what he initially felt about his daughter does not make him a bad person.

Nope, I won't lay off. I am entitled to my opinion and my reaction, just as are you. I think there is a right and wrong way to do things. For example, he could have said, "I am having a hard time dealing with my daughter being gay". Puts the emphasis on HIM. But saying she is a disappointment points the finger at her as if she is doing something wrong. Kids, even adult kids, can be cut to the quick with comments like that, and you could tell how much it hurt her.

On a more positive note though, he was really encouraging and supportive during the race, and I hope they are able to build and strengthen their relationship.

she is hot

Got that right!!! Wonder if she likes guys too??

The daughter seems pretty cool. The Dad needs to work on some things, imo. <_<

I have a daughter and whether I was actually disappointed in something about her or not, there is no freaking way that I would ever tell anyone that much less say something like that on television. If he can say that about his child, I don't have much use for him.

But sometimes things like TAR do bring people together. Only time will tell.

Parents are not perfect and he made a hurtful and inconsiderate comment. Kids are known for doing that themselves. At least he is willing to try and rebuild what they once had and I give him a lot of credit for that. I hope they go far in the race and in their relationship.

Just to clarify.....

He did not say that his daughter was a disappointment to him. He said he felt a teeny bit of disappointment in her as a father.

As someone who is gay and came out to my parents when I was 18, I can definately understand what these 2 are going through. And yes, many times there is disappointment on the parents side. They are disappointed that all of the dreams they had for their child to grow up, marry, have kids etc. are not going to happen......at least not in the way they had been picturing it for the past however many years. This is a very normal response and there is nothing wrong with him saying that out loud. It is actually better for him to admit those feelings, process them, and move on with his daughter instead of keeping his feelings bottled up. Does it hurt a little to hear that from your parents? Yes. But most people who come out to their parents are prepared to hear this initially. It is an emotional blow to many parents and it just takes some time to deal with all of the feelings that come along with it.

I really think these 2 are going to become alot closer during the race, and I will be rooting them on.

Dep

The are my favorites at this point. Duke reminds me of an old biker dude and his daughter seems very personable.

Dep thanks for sharing.

StarBaby - you are brainless - your taking 4 sentences of so many hours of interviews and your making an assumption that that's how he feels. most parents would most likely have that feeling of disappointment when things dont turn out the way they want for their kids!!! are you actually saying your parents were never disappointed with you!?!?!? Frankly, i think your an idiot!!!!!!!!!

SCRebel - are we even watching the same show!??! I thought the amazing race WAS about relationships!! and most couples that ARE on it, DO strengthen their relationships! why dont you go out on a show like this and go thru everything they went through!