Sign in to follow this  
mikede

SURFACE (New Sci-Fi Series)

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Surface

Our favorite star-crossed Loch Ness Monster hunters are back together this week, hot on the trail of the Big Bad Specimen A that Laura managed to tag last time. Seriously, if these two aren't MFEO (that's Made For Each Other) in their obsessive-compulsive Captain Ahab routine, I don't know who is. When Rich gets a load of Laura's shrine-o'-newspaper-clippings, he tells her, "I thought I'd gone overboard." Guess what, Surface cast? I'm instituting a dollar-a-pun rule

Well, I've been watching this show every week and, unfortunately, they decided to put some sort of mayoral debate on television here at 8 pm last night. They then ran Surface at 1:36 am, but gave no advance warning, so I wasn't even able to tape it. I have no clue what happened. Did I miss anything important?

They reshow it several times over the weekend on Sci-Fi channel.

I found an interesting Intereview with the cast of Surface at SCI-FI WIRE...

It is quite long so I will post a link instead of the interview. Enjoy.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue439/interview2.html

Am I crazy for rooting for a lizard alien thingy? Makes me almost root for the largers ones in the ocean....almost.

Sad to see the Prof. and his assistant killed like that.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATER COOLER

Surface

Creepy Scientist Guy has a eureka moment

WOW.....I just found this blog for Miles....enjoy

http://blogs.nbc.com/surface/

You can go back to previous dates, so check them all out. :)

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Surface

It's getting pretty impressive here, folks. So far we've seen Lake Bell in bikinis, wet T-shirts, cutesy waitress short shorts, and now we've got her jumping into the ocean sporting nothing but her Victoria's not-so-Secrets. There was so much focus on Dr. Laura's bodacious boobs this week, I kept forgetting to pay attention to the thousand-and-one plotlines because all I could think was, am I too young to need a mammogram? Sweeps has begun, ladies and gentlemen. Her Buxomness and Crazy-Eyed Rich enlist good-natured conspiracy theorist Jackson to help them get to a safe house somewhere off the grid

Courtesy of:TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Lake Bell: We've Only Scratched the Surface

by Matt Webb Mitovich

There's something in the water on NBC's Surface (Mondays at 8 pm/ET), and as the series dives deep into sweeps with one revelation-packed episode after another, rest assured that each discovery will be offset by a new mystery. As oceanographer Laura Daughtery, Lake Bell joins Jay R. Ferguson's fisherman, Rich Connelly, in investigating otherworldly sea creatures that somebody (of course) would rather have kept under wraps. TVGuide.com chatted with Bell about making her massive prime-time splash.

TVGuide.com: This month the show has really heated up. I mean, people are dying and stuff!

Lake Bell: [Laughs] I know! It's going to get crazy. I swear to god, the things we're shooting now I can't even believe. It's been a journey

Surface

You know what makes this show a lot more enjoyable? A movie-size box of Hot Tamales. True story. I like how these what-you've-missed sequences at the top of the show are getting more and more explicit. Now the voice-over guy's actively using characters' names

Surface

You know, this show keeps striving to emulate Spielberg, but this week, I couldn't get the darker side of Walt Disney out of my head. For starters, the entire plotline that finds Dr. Laura and Crazy-Eyed Rich stranded at the bottom of the ocean has me constantly coming up with highly inappropriate lyrics for "Under the Sea"

Surface

I'm not sure if you've picked up on it over the last few weeks, but it's becoming apparent that Dr. Laura just might officially have her own catchphrase. How nice for her. Although "We're gonna die

I don't think Nim is really dead, actually. I immediately thought of that doctor whose face was completely healed by lizard goo.. for lack of a better term.. and you just had to know Nim was healing Miles while sitting on the bed with him in the hospital. I think that marine biologist at the aquarium is going to try to open up Nim next episode for an autopsy, but before he can, Nim is going to jump up and run off because he healed himself.

Then again, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I hate to say it, but I'm almost to the point of liking the Nim storyline more than the "main" one.

And, maybe it's just my tv, but all those "great revelation scenes" underneath the ocean with Rich and Laura where they were looking at the creatures seemed to be "filmed" so darkly that I could barely make anything out at all.

Ahh well..

Guest ranster627

Gorilla, as always you make me think ... the logic of what you have written is spot on ... in all sci-fi / paranormal storylines I have seen ... the process of healing tires out the healer who has absorbed the pain and suffering and they require rest ... why wouldn't Nim be in a state of healing hibernation then?

Well put Gorilla!

Courtesy of: NBC.COM

NEXT ON SURFACE

8pm 2006-01-02

ALL NEW!

SPOILER...SPOILER...SPOILER...SPOILER...SPOILER...SPOILER...

Rich (Jay R. Ferguson) and Laura (Lake Bell) sneak out of the hospital with the creature footage before Lee (Ian Anthony Dale) and his men can get to them. Upon their successful escape Rich and Laura take the exclusive footage to tape to a copying service company in an effort to upload it onto the internet and convince a news station to run a piece about the footage. Meanwhile, Miles (Carter Jenkins) is sad and defeated while he watches doctors preparing to perform an autopsy on Nim but that all changes when Nim sneezes and they realize he is still alive. TV-PG

(Poster note: Notice the Date...Surface is off air until January!)

................................................................................

................................................................................

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK MATT

Question: Much like the woman who asked about the future of HBO's series Rome (of which I, too, am a really huge fan), I would like to ask about NBC's fabulous new show Surface. It has been quite a long time since I've gotten hooked on a major network show. (I'm not a fan of reality TV

Edited by Dade

SPOILER ALERT....HIGHLIGHT TO SEE...NO NOT QUOTE

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, SURFACE

Airdate: Monday, January 09, 8:00 PM

Lee (Ian Anthony Dale) and his agents pursue Laura and Rich. While in hiding, Laura communicates with a mysterious stranger who may know something about the creatures. Elsewhere, Miles and Caitlin go to a late-night beach party that turns tragic.

Surface

Wait, what's going on? Is Nimrod dead? Are Dr. Laura and Crazy-Eyed Rich still all cold and prune-y from their whole shipwreck saga? It's a bit hazy after a five-week hiatus. (And while we're on the topic, these long-as-hell breaks between new episodes are really dragging down prime time. You hear me, Lost? I'd have a tough enough time remembering where we left off without the 60-plus pounds of turkey and a fair amount of nog muddying up the ol' brain cells. So add another bullet point to the "why I can't wait to cozy back up to Jack Bauer" list: an uninterrupted season.) With little or no fanfare, Rich and Laura turn out to be well enough to go on the lam with their all-important sea-beastie footage, while Miles comes to terms with the heart-wrenching death of Nim by discovering, like, three minutes later that the little guy's actually still alive. Apparently we're moving forward, people, so keep up. The refugees manage to score a plum interview on MSNBC

Surface

You know, back in September when this show premiered and we first started wondering where the sea beasties came from, never in a million years would my guess have been Martha Plimpton. Way to keep us guessing, writers! Dr. Laura's boneheaded decision-making skills continue to reach ever more death-defying heights: This hour alone she manages to almost answer the door for rogue government agents, reply to an e-mail from an unknown sender while they're on the lam, agree to ditch Crazy-Eyed Rich in favor of Crazy-Eyed Plimpton (you just can't tell 'cause she's wearing sunglasses) and go gallivanting off into the wide blue yonder in a tiny prop plane and a blindfold. No wonder the feds have been so successful at discrediting your professional reputation there, Doc

2 episodes left in the season? YIKES....Im sure theres gonna be a cliff-hanger that will make my summer drag!

WOW QW Twilight Zone stuff. Perfect for this thread. lol

I love how Nim reacted to Miles' voice last night and then him and all his relatives followed Miles. My question is how far can Miles go out into the water? I know he is changing but has he changed enough to live in the water or is he just taking them some where else?

HMMMMM D I V O R C E is convenient for the two travels who have not only spent what they thought were the last moments of the their live together but have been up and down the western coast for how long. Wonder how long it will take before some romance blooms there.

Surface

"I thought it was gonna kill me. I really did." Are you referring to the talking monkey girl, or this episode in general? 'Cause if it's the latter, well then, Crazy-Eyed Rich, I'm right there with you. What the hell is going on? We've got two, count 'em, two episodes left to get all this business wrapped up before the "finale" (be it season or series), and we're choosing now to introduce the idea that creepy Agent Lee is actually an ageless genetic-engineering pioneer? What? No, really. What? And to top it all off, he's gonna have my girl Martha Plimpton whacked? But she just got here! With her geeky little outfits and delightfully spunky haircut and the having of actual answers! Now I'm never gonna get the chance to thank her for drugging Dr. Laura and leaving her to wake up in a ditch like she'd just fallen out of John Malkovich's brain. Oh, and did I mention the talking monkey girl? I just don't even know what to do. So when all else fails, let's talk about Miles. In a single day he goes all fire-starter on a batch of beastie eggs, shoots his beloved best friend with a tracking device, manages to score a nongooey kiss from Caitlin (and even delivers an only moderately painful presmooch line), and then magically becomes the Pied Piper of Wrightsville Beach as he leads a school of marauding prepubescent Nim-cousins back into the ocean. Every day's a big day when you're 14 and turning into a neodinosaur.

Courtesy of: SCI-FI WIRE

Surface Tension Builds

12:00 AM, 26-JANUARY-06

jenkins_surface_tn.jpg

Carter Jenkins, the young star of NBC's SF drama Surface, told SCI FI Wire that the final two episodes of the season will answer the remaining questions of the season, but bring up some new ones as well. "The season finale is huge," Jenkins, 14, said in an interview at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif. "It's going to be awesome. ... It wraps [the story] up mostly, but it leaves plenty of room for a second season. A lot of the questions are answers."

Surface, also starring Lake Bell and Jay Ferguson, centers on a new marine species that suddenly emerges and wreaks havoc all along the U.S. coast. Two of the 15 original episodes have yet to air, but audiences have already learned that the creatures are the result of an experiment gone awry.

"I don't think anyone guessed that," Jenkins said. "I think everyone was like, 'They're from another planet or something.' ... I think the creators have so much story that they've assured us that they have plenty more storyline for seasons to come, which is always reassuring to hear. And also the season finale definitely opens up a lot of doors."

Jenkins' character, the lonely boy Miles Barnett, will also undergo more changes as the season finale approaches. After finding and raising a hatchling creature in the pilot, he has gradually begun turning into one of them. "My character is starting to develop characteristics of the species," Jenkins said. "And there's more episodes that definitely explore that. It's really awesome. ... In terms of what my character's going through, that can lead to a lot more stuff."

Surface will air its last two episodes on Jan. 30 and Feb. 6 at 8 p.m. ET/PT. NBC has not yet announced whether it will be coming back for a second season.

(This is the first closed mouthed 14 year old I have heard. Most I know would love to share the secrets. *Sigh* I was hoping for some spoilers :unsure: )

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK MATT

Question: Despite your disapproval of the show, I've gotten really hooked on NBC's Surface. It isn't perfect, but few shows are, and I think it has more potential than a lot of the current so-called hits. I've heard it's on the bubble, and I was wondering if you know what the odds are of it being renewed.