Sign in to follow this  
Dade

Bilal Abdul-Mani and Sa'eed Rudolph

I've made my point. My point, you want to impose your idea of what is right onto other people. You find something that their religion dictates they do, to be distasteful.

All you can say is it's wrong.. to you, and you refuse to understand that probably more than half of the world, thinks that you are in fact wrong.

You think they should have stayed home and not raced because they don't treat women the way you would like them to.

I've made my point. My point, you want to impose your idea of what is right onto other people. You find something that their religion dictates they do, to be distasteful.

I don't agree with that particular aspect of their religion. That is true. I think it is demeaning and archaic. I'm not allowed to have an opinion? Or am I just not allowed to express my opinion?

All you can say is it's wrong.. to you, and you refuse to understand that probably more than half of the world, thinks that you are in fact wrong.

As we have already seen, not every Muslim believes that touching a woman (shaking hands) is wrong. But, even if all Muslims did believe that. It wouldn't change my opinion. The number of people that believe something is true and right, doesn't make it so. If that were the case, then we should all just convert to Islam now then.

You think they should have stayed home and not raced because they don't treat women the way you would like them to.

This is what I said.

I did not say these guys need to change their customs. I just pointed out that Reality TV is part of American Culture. If they want to participate, then they will need to do things that may not necessarily conform with their beliefs. If that is too offensive for them, then stay home. It's a TV show.

You like to warp what I say and turn it back on me. You call me a bigot and a bully, but you don't really bring any argument to the discussion. Maybe you just like to try and get people's goat. I don't know. It seems your point is that you want to stifle free speech. Isn't that how all this started? A couple of us were discussing how this team didn't want to shake hands with a woman and you burst in with the hysterics and sarcasm you are so good at. Is that what you want? Nobody can make any reference to this team being Muslim or CM will jump in and eat you up. :rolleyes:

Well let me ask this question. Was he just rude to her or did he explain his reason for not shaking hands?

And are these guys immigrants or were they born here? And even better, are they converts to Muslim? When/if they converted, did they receive their Muslim names or were they actually born Frank Jones and Joe Bob Spencer? Anyone know?

I don't care what religion people choose to adopt. But, personally, I don't like the way Muslim men treat women. Their whole society is segregated and the women are subservient. If that makes me a bigot, then so be it.

Found this posted here.

Bilal and Sa'eed

Team #1 (by alphabetical order): Bilal Abdui-Mani & Sa'eed Rudolph

Relationship: Best friends

Ages: 37 & 39

Occupations: Medical service technician & power lineman

Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio (both)

----

It seems somehow fitting that with diversity now a centerpiece issue in reality television that the first team noted here embodies that diversity.

Bilal Abdul-Mani & Sa'eed Rudolph are the first Muslim and Arab-American team to compete in the race. The best friends are also Cleveland Browns fans. At least in the posted CBS pre-race interview excerpts, their religious preference was pushed more than their football preference. One could have wished for a pair of Baltimore Ravens fans just to provide archrivals to hate without ethnicity or religion being involved.

Bilal emphasized that he wanted to earn money for his daughters and to provide a more positive view of Islam as opposed to the negative terrorist-influenced stereotypes. It's a worthy goal in its way though one that can be met without actually winning the race. The team may feel restrained from taking any ethically dubious shortcuts that could help them win for fear of losing out on the positive portrayal.

The younger racer is described in the CBS bio as being the more energetic of the pair though we didn't really see that energy in the interviews (admittedly a bad forum for this) except for when he was talking about his kids and his fear of heights. If the pair want to showcase a more positive image, it'll be such moments of common humanity that'll do it rather than the preachiness displayed by some earlier religious teams.

The official CBS bio referred to Sa'eed as "quiet and passive." Such words can often equate to boring which is never good in the reality genre. Sa'eed has travel experience which seems good enough, only one teammate really needs travel experience for a team to not be held back on that basis. Foreign language experience would be okay on Arabic obviously, the others are unknown.

Though the pair may be restrained by ethics, they do seem a team that would carry a sense of dedication within basic ethics derived by their faith, shared military backgrounds and what seems to be a strong work ethic. Their ages in the upper 30s are somewhat past peak but hardly insurmountable in this scenario. Physical fitness should not be a major issue here in most circumstances, Sa'eed's job as a power lineman would especially require such fitness anyway.

The outside unknown factor is whether ethnicity or religion could make it harder to make needed travel connections by plane or otherwise. One would hope that the unseen to us TAR camera crews and production elements would be enough to keep the pair from being pulled off airplane flights by ethnic/religious profiling. It would be a show nightmare for Bilal and Sa'eed to lose on such a basis.

For the moment, this team could be a moderately positively one to watch. I just hope that Bilal and Sa'eed prove as willing to have their own minds opened as they are to open the minds of others.

It is interesting that one of their goals was to give a positive image of Muslims. It says their hometown is Cleveland, but not really sure if they were born Muslim or just converted.

On the show, she went to shake his hand and he pulled away like she would infect him. I don't really remember what he said, but it was awkward to watch in the least.

it is my belief that everyone should be on zoloft.

but.... a large percent of the population isnt on any medication for their mental state. i think its horrible that more people just dont take that first step in admitting they need medication. if they did... we wouldnt have such long boring postings here. ;)

Oh Crackers, you know there is no one for me but you now. I don't need to hang out at the clinics anymore. I have found my true love. :)

Muslims are required to pray at least five times a day.... I think...

I was in a mosque once during a prayer session, it was pretty cool... I just watched...

I went to one too King.... they seperated the men and the women...there was alot of sitting and standing. The girl who took me was white....muslims come in all different colors....I didnt know that at the time.

I don't think wimmins were allowed in the one where I was... I didn't see any and trust me I was looking...

Well there was plenty of wimmins at the one I went lol I was looking too :P

OMG this one girl had on the cutest boots they were like reddish tooo cute ya know :unsure:

Muslim women have the most captivating eyes...

Is it just womens hands that muslim men won't touch?? And does it only apply to non muslim women or is it all women?? And why???

Guest StarBaby

Well, I'm thinking at some point it must be okay to touch other parts, or there would never be any new little Muslims.

lol @ fizzle buggers off you freaks can I borrow that line next time they knock on my door?

I am not even going to begin my abortion rant cause this thread would turn ugly quick.

back on topic I bet they arent allowed to touch women that arent Muslim eithier that or they cant shake womens hands cause women are thought to be lower on the scale or however you want to word it.

yeah, i think it is an "all woman" thing.

i dont know if it has to do with women being on a lower scale then men or if its because they think that a womans monthly cycle is considered the dirtiest thing to happen and they cant come in contact with it.. and since women dont walk around with a sign on them saying they are "on the dirty".. contact with women must not happen at all, just in case.

or it could be that they think women are beneth them... :huh:

i was at the doctor the other day, and out walked a muslim couple....or arab, not sure they were muslim......anywho....she was about 7 or 8 months pregger and was dressed head to toe in the covers they wear. long sleeves, dress to the floor, and the head gear. all you saw was her eyes. her husband, who had walked out ahead of her and NOT held the door for her, was wearing shorts, a tank top, and flip flops......that struck me as a bit not okay! not to mention the two-year-old next to me asking his mom, very loudly, why the woman was wearing that costume!

Hey, this is Crackers' and my LOVE thread. Can't we have some privacy?

How would you like to be assimilated? :P