Sign in to follow this  
Dade

Survivor: Cook Islands

That usually starts after the first epi.

Hmmm...lots of actors and musicians in this group...and a couple of lawyers. I'm guessing that egos will get in the way at some point. The only one I have any gut feeling about at this point is Ozzie. I'm guessing he'll either last a long time or be out first (if he's annoying).

oh, and what's with another "performance artist" fire-spinning chick??

i think it is extrememly poor judgement on CBS....here come the law suits..what are they stupid??? I mean i love survivor and all, i have watched it from season 1, but i think this is a little over the edge

sourceAP.gif

NYC officials want to stop segregated

I think this is an awesome idea! It gives each group the chance to reflect and work together culturally. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your culture. I'm sure we will all learn from this and witness many new ideas and see how other cultures do things.

I think it will also promote more people to get off their ass and not be floaters because they'll want their "culture/ethninticity" to win.

Kayo: Notice a lot of actors too and those not listed as actors...waiters, waitress in LA could be wanna bees.

Have there been this many from Calif before 13 out of 20?

If everyone is this upset about this, why didn't they go nuts when it was separated by age and gender?

The concept for this season is definitely treading a very thin line. When I saw the commercial for it, my jaw just dropped. I couldn't believe that CBS is taking it to this level. What are they thinking? I'm surprised that they didn't do the obvious and set up a group of Muslims or Middle Easterners as a tribe; they are basically pitting all the races against each other for entertainment. With the high feeling on race right now, CBS is exploiting this for their own gain. And sadly enough, we will all watch it just to see what happens, which is what they want for ratings.

My question is, what's going to happen when the tribes merge? And how are they going to deal with issues that are sure to arise, such as one group accusing another of having a racial advantage or something like that?

variety_gradient.jpg

'Survivor' honcho has spoken

Burnett blasts crix over racial reaction

By STEVEN ZEITCHIK

This article was updated at 4:41 p.m.

Mark Burnett on Tuesday lashed out at "Survivor" critics who don't watch the show, saying this season "wouldn't be racial at all."

Show's creator said intra-squad rivalry on "Survivor: Cook Islands" --in which four teams would be divided according to race -- would trump any tension between the groups and thus avoid racism.

"By putting people in tribes, they clearly have to get rid of people of their own ethnicity," he told a group of reporters. "So it's not racial at all."

Criticism, he said, came from a place of ignorance.

"People are saying things who've never seen 'Survivor' ... and don't understand how it works," Burnett said.

He added, "Clearly, to win 'Survivor,' it's the biggest leadership test ever. What other contest or life thing do you have to literally get rid of people -- sometimes brutally -- and then ask them to give you money?"

Burnett was speaking on a conference call for joint AOL-CBS Internet series "Gold Rush." A press advisory specifically had warned that he wouldn't discuss "Survivor," but when a reporter asked Burnett about the controversy, he waved aside the AOL publicist's objections and said he'd answer anyway.

"I don't want to talk about this necessarily, but I also don't want to avoid it," he said.

Burnett also criticized those who didn't watch the show, whose 13th season debuts Sept. 14. "The truth is I look at how many people are making so many comments, and many of them admit to never ever seeing 'Survivor,' " he said.

In earlier comments to Daily Variety, he offered the hope that "maybe that taboo (of race) could disappear" through this season's concept.

Issue got thornier for CBS on Tuesday, as gambling sites like WagerWeb.com posted odds, offering the strange spectacle of favored and underdog ethnicities. Among its handicaps: "Winner's Ethnicity of 'Survivor: Cook Islands' -- Caucasian (2.25 to 1), Asian-American (2 to 1) Hispanic (2.75 to 1) and African-American (2.4 to 1)."

CBS said in a statement last week that this season, like past ones, will illuminate social dynamics, and that viewers should wait to see the episodes before judging them. A rep said the net continues to stand by that statement.

Meanwhile, New York community leaders held a rally Tuesday in front of CBS headquarters in Gotham. Several New York council members and activists, including Fernando Mateo and the Rev. Calvin Butts, attended the protest, held in persistent rain.

The chief of staff for Councilman John Liu later told Daily Variety that council members were in the process of drafting letters to General Motors and other "Survivor" sponsors.

Date in print: Wed., Aug. 30, 2006, Los Angeles

I don't have a problem with the separation by race. I applaud CBS for taking a chance and doing something on the edge. As a society, we should move beyond the point of pertending we are all the same and get to accepting we are all different. All races have strengths and weaknesses compared to each other. That's not to say that individual people cannot stand out.

What I am trying to say is, 60 years ago we had separate bathrooms, schools, and restaurants. This was a bad thing. Then we changed it and got rid of the segregation. We forced people to intermingle. It is better than segragation, but still not ideal. The ideal situation is when you could separate people racially, and nobody bats an eye. The media doesn't make a big deal out of it. Congressmen don't call for the show to be pulled. None of that.

I have no preconcieved ideas who will win the show because they belong to a specific race group. And the winner of Survivor will not win becuase he or she is Black, Asian, White, or Latino. The winner will simply be the best Survivor.

Agree 100%

but

I can't wait to laugh at my own race once they get banished first :lol:

The ideal situation is when you could separate people racially, and nobody bats an eye.

Kind of an interesting concept because there was a politician or a researcher or somebody I saw in the news who had found that some minority students fare much better academically when they are not in integrated schools, but even when it benefits minorities academically to be segregated it's considered unconstitutional (as a violation of Equal Protection).

Maybe those interpretations of the law need to be revisited but society has like a mental hurdle to surmount there first or something . . .

From what I have read it is not race that impacts test scores, but poverty levels. So sending a bunch of low-income students (no particular race) to an upperclass neighborhood school doesn't mean they will get better grades.

IMO, the biggest impact on any students test scores, performance and behaviour in school, is the parents, no matter what their economic status.

You are exactly right Methos, but if you look at the whole picture. Parents that tend to be more involved with a child's schooling are parents that are educated themselves. Usually, if you are educated, you are employed and not living in a low-class neighborhood. There are always exceptions, but generally this is the way it is.

Courtesy of: ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

Outwit!

Countdown: The 10 smartest ''Survivor'' players ever. With the new season just a week away, here are some lessons the new castaways can learn from Danni, Boston Rob, and other masters of the game by Michael Slezak

16920__jon_l.jpg

No. 10: Jon ''Jonny Fairplay'' Dalton

Third place, Survivor: Pearl Islands (Season 7)

Being repugnant can take you far

Courtes of: REALITYBLURRED

Jeff Probst says Survivor Cook Islands represents the series' "rebirth," says sponsors left before they knew of the twist

Survivor host Jeff Probst told reporters yesterday that the new Survivor Cook Islands, which debuts next Thursday, represents the series

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

NAACP says they

Sign in to follow this