Sign in to follow this  
Jem

Lost In Space

lis-logo2.gif

This was a science fiction series about the Robinson Family, Major Don West and their faithfull robot who were leaving on the Jupiter II spacecraft on a five-year mission to explore a planet in the Alpha Centauri star system. Unfortunately, Doctor Zachary Smith sabotaged the ship, throwing it off-course and leaving the entire crew including Doctor Smith ... Lost In Space! Each week they travelled from planet to planet searching for the way back to Earth and finding aliens and danger along the way.

MarkGoddard.jpg

Mark Goddard as Don West

Guy Williams ......... Professor John Robinson

June Lockhart ........ Maureen Robinson

Mark Goddard ......... Don West

Marta Kristen ........ Judy Robinson

Billy Mumy............ Will Robinson

Angela Cartwright .... Penny Robinson

Jonathan Harris ...... Doctor Zachary Smith

robotanim5iu.gif

This series was originally titled, "Space Family Robinson". CBS was afraid that it was too close to Disney's Movie, "Swiss Family Robinson", so they changed it.

June Lockhart started her "on-screen" career with a bang! In 1938 she played the role of "Cratchit's Daughter" in the classic movie, "A Christmas Carol"!

is6ul.jpg

June Lockheart and

Guy Williams

The first name chosen for the spaceship was, "Gemini XII". It was changed to "Jupiter II" because it was felt that the audience might confuse it with NASA's "Gemini" program.

Before going "off-course", the Jupiter II was heading for "Alpha Centauri".

Caroll O'Connor (Archie Bunker on "All in the Family") was considered for the role of Dr. Smith.

In order to keep their budgets as low as possible, it was common to share props from one program to another. Some of the props including the robot on Lost In Space were also used on "Batman", "Land of the Giants", "Time Tunnel" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".

cons1.jpg

Jonathan Harris as Dr Smith and Robot

Nasa and Houston did not control the flight of the Jupiter II spacecraft during the pilot and first episodes. That was done by "Alpha Control".

Marta Kristen (Judy Robinson) was not born in the United States. Her mother was from Finland and her father was a Nazi soldier from Germany. Her mother left her at an orphanage in Oslo, Norway when she was only two months old. Happily, she found a loving home when she was adopted by a couple from the United States.

mumy1sx.jpg

Bill Mumy as Will Robinson

Bill Mumy appeared on three of the original "Twilight Zone" tv show episodes and also appeared in the "Twilight Zone Movie". His first cast appearance on the series was in 1961 and his movie appearance was in 1983! During his long career, he has also appeared as a guest cast member on other sci-fi series such as: "Bewitched", "I Dream of Jeannie" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". His first credited appearance, however, was in a movie! In 1960, he played the role of "Aladdin" in the movie, "Wizard of Baghdad.

mk_mast.gif

The History of TVs Lost in Space

by Mark Phillips

http://www.lostinspacetv.com/news/history1.html

Movie producer Irwin Allen turned from motion pictures to television to do a space adventure show. The new TV series was called Lost in Space and it was pitched to CBS programmer James Aubrey. Aubrey, famous for having purchased such CBS shows as The Beverly Hillbillies and Gilligan's Island, immediately bought the space-age adventure. A few weeks later, when producer Gene Roddenberry pitched his science fiction extravaganza, Star Trek to CBS, Aubrey said, "No thanks." He felt Lost in Space was much more commercial.

With financial backing from CBS, Red Skelton, and 20th Century Fox, Allen prepared a $600,000 budget for the 1964 pilot film, written by Shimon Wincelberg. Much of it would be filmed in the Mojave desert, near a restricted military base, where the craggy landscape served perfectly as an out-of-this world setting for the most expensive pilot ever filmed.

The storyline concerned the $40 billion launch of the Gemini 12 on October 16, 1997. The world's first space family was selected to colonize a planet in the Alpha Centauri star system. The family was headed by Professor John Robinson (Guy Williams), his wife Maureen (June Lockhart) and their children, Judy, Penny and Will (played by Marta Kristen, Angela Cartwright and Billy Mumy, respectively). Major Don West (Mark Goddard) was the spaceship's pilot. They would all be frozen in suspended animation for a 98-year journey.

http://www.tvtome.com/LostinSpace/goofs.html

"Lost in Space" (1965)

C28.jpg

In the year 1997, Earth is suffering from massive overpopulation. Professor John Robinson, his wife Maureen, their children (Judy, Penny and Will) and Major Don West are selected to go to the third planet in the Alpha Centauri star system to establish a colony so that other Earth people can settle there. They are to go there on a ship of Professor Robinson's design, christened the Jupiter 2. However, Doctor Zachary Smith, an agent for an enemy government is sent to sabotage the mission. He is successful in reprogramming the ship's robot, but in the process becomes trapped on the ship, and because of his excess weight, the ship and all onboard become hoplessly lost and it now becomes a fight for survival as the crew tries to find their way back home.

Today Lost in Space is aired virtually in every country. In fact, one of the most popular countries is Australia, which boasts a huge fan base, and regular, prime-time treatment, amazingly, 30 years after the show's cancellation.

0. 0-1 The Keeper (Part Two)

0. 0-2 The Robot Guard

0. 0-3 The Lost Station (2)

Pilot

P-1 UNAIRED No Place to Hide

1. 1-1 15-Sep-1965 The Reluctant Stowaway

2. 1-2 22-Sep-1965 The Derelict

3. 1-3 29-Sep-1965 Island in the Sky

4. 1-4 06-Oct-1965 There Were Giants in the Earth

5. 1-5 13-Oct-1965 The Hungry Sea

6. 1-6 20-Oct-1965 Welcome Stranger

7. 1-7 27-Oct-1965 My Friend, Mr. Nobody

8. 1-8 03-Nov-1965 Invaders from the Fifth Dimension

9. 1-9 10-Nov-1965 The Oasis

10. 1-10 17-Nov-1965 The Sky Is Falling

11. 1-11 24-Nov-1965 Wish Upon a Star

12. 1-12 01-Dec-1965 The Raft

13. 1-13 08-Dec-1965 One of Our Dogs Is Missing

14. 1-14 15-Dec-1965 Attack of the Monster Plants

15. 1-15 29-Dec-1965 Return from Outer Space

16. 1-16 12-Jan-1966 The Keeper (1)

17. 1-17 19-Jan-1966 The Keeper (2)

18. 1-18 26-Jan-1966 The Sky Pirate

19. 1-19 02-Feb-1966 Ghost in Space

20. 1-20 09-Feb-1966 War of the Robots

21. 1-21 16-Feb-1966 The Magic Mirror

22. 1-22 02-Mar-1966 The Challenge

23. 1-23 09-Mar-1966 The Space Trader

24. 1-24 16-Mar-1966 His Majesty Smith

25. 1-25 30-Mar-1966 The Space Croppers

26. 1-26 06-Apr-1966 All That Glitters

27. 1-27 13-Apr-1966 The Lost Civilization

28. 1-28 20-Apr-1966 A Change of Space

29. 1-29 27-Apr-1966 Follow the Leader

30. 2-1 9501 16-Sep-1966 Blast Off into Space

31. 2-2 21-Sep-1966 Wild Adventure

32. 2-3 28-Sep-1966 The Ghost Planet

33. 2-4 05-Oct-1966 Forbidden World

34. 2-5 12-Oct-1966 Space Circus

35. 2-6 19-Oct-1966 The Prisoners of Space

36. 2-7 26-Oct-1966 The Android Machine

37. 2-8 02-Nov-1966 The Deadly Games of Gamma 6

38. 2-9 09-Nov-1966 The Thief from Outer Space

39. 2-10 16-Nov-1966 The Curse of Cousin Smith

40. 2-11 11-Nov-1966 West of Mars

41. 2-12 07-Dec-1966 A Visit to Hades

42. 2-13 14-Nov-1966 The Wreck of the Robot

43. 2-14 21-Dec-1966 The Dream Monster

44. 2-15 28-Dec-1966 The Golden Man

45. 2-16 04-Jan-1967 The Girl From the Green Dimension

46. 2-17 11-Jan-1967 The Questing Beast

47. 2-18 25-Jan-1967 The Toymaker

48. 2-19 01-Feb-1967 Mutiny in Space

49. 2-20 08-Feb-1967 The Space Vikings

50. 2-21 15-Feb-1967 Rocket to Earth

51. 2-22 22-Feb-1967 The Cave of the Wizards

52. 2-23 01-Mar-1967 Treasures of the Lost Planet

53. 2-24 08-Mar-1967 Revolt of the Androids

54. 2-25 15-Mar-1967 The Colonists

55. 2-26 22-Mar-1967 Trip Through the Robot

56. 2-27 29-Mar-1967 The Phantom Family

57. 2-28 05-Apr-1967 The Mechanical Men

58. 2-29 12-Apr-1967 The Astral Traveler

59. 2-30 26-Apr-1967 The Galaxy Gift

60. 3-1 06-Sep-1967 Condemned of Space

61. 3-2 13-Sep-1967 Visit to a Hostile Planet

62. 3-3 09-Sep-1967 Kidnapped in Space

63. 3-4 27-Sep-1967 Hunter's Moon

64. 3-5 04-Oct-1967 The Space Primevals

65. 3-6 11-Oct-1967 The Space Destructors

66. 3-7 18-Oct-1967 The Haunted Lighthouse

67. 3-8 25-Oct-1967 Flight into the Future

68. 3-9 08-Nov-1967 Collision of the Planets

69. 3-10 15-Nov-1967 The Space Creature

70. 3-11 22-Nov-1967 Deadliest of the Species

71. 3-12 29-Nov-1967 A Day at the Zoo

72. 3-13 13-Dec-1967 Two Weeks in Space

73. 3-14 20-Dec-1967 Castles in Space

74. 3-15 27-Dec-1967 The Anti-Matter Man

75. 3-16 03-Jan-1968 Target: Earth

76. 3-17 10-Jan-1968 Princess of Space

77. 3-18 17-Jan-1968 The Time Merchant

78. 3-19 24-Jan-1968 The Promised Planet

79. 3-20 31-Jan-1968 Fugitives in Space

80. 3-21 14-Feb-1968 Space Beauty

81. 3-22 21-Feb-1968 The Flaming Planet

82. 3-23 28-Feb-1968 The Great Vegetable Rebellion

83. 3-24 06-Mar-1968 Junkyard of Space

Episode Guide

http://www.tvtome.com/LostinSpace/season1.html

TV Tome.com

j2missle.jpg

Even today, the 1960's television show Lost in Space defies description. Some would call the program "science fiction", others "action adventure" and still others as "children's television". Truth be known, the show probably was all these at one time or another.

Probably the best description one could give is the show represented an amalgamation of two popular television formats popular in the 1960's. Science fiction on television was fairly commonplace as America's space race with the Soviet Union reached a fevered pace. The media gave detailed, almost daily, reports on the United States expensive

race to be the first humans to step onto the lunar surface. Because of that, it was only natural to tap into this national frenzy with a slick television series where the audience could travel with those astronauts. To obtain the coveted "family hour", the ephemeral 8PM to 9PM time, one had to appeal to the sensibilities of the 1960s family. With that, all the networks programming reflected family situation comedies,

and family centered adventure.

perdusdanslespace02.jpg

Bill Mumy as Will

Lost in Space could deliver that with spades by offering family adventure in the reaches of outer space.

CBS network executives gave Irwin Allen's Lost in Space a green light after his popular Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea took off in the ratings games in 1964. It became a network "no brainer" to bring the successful producer to CBS.

ac_mast.gif

Interestingly, the Lost in Space pilot, a 45 minute "introduction" to the series expressly created for CBS network brass and never meant to be aired publicly, was also the most expensive pilot ever made to that date!

Boasting elaborate model special effects from industry master L.B. Abbott and Robert Kinoshita - the same two men who created the "universe" for the cinematic special effects laden movie, Forbidden Planet, it was only natural Lost in Space wowed its network benefactors. The show was immediately given a prime family hour time slot: 7:30PM, Wednesday nights, debuting in the fall of 1965.

The show was "big" in scope and included two full size mockups of the famous Jupiter 2 the family space vehicle, a converted SnoCat for all terrain travel on new worlds referred to in the series as The Chariot, and a wonderfully impressive Environmental Control Robot known simply as "Robot". Our family members would set out each week on adventures in a strange new world.

The series cast included such popular and seasoned television veterans as June Lockhart from the popular Lassie series, Guy Williams, the swash-buckling, swarthy Zorro from the series of the same name, Angela Cartwright who had just finished a long run on the popular Make Room for Daddy, and would later appear with Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music, handsome Mark Goddard a rapidly rising star from the then popular Johnny Bravo, and popular child actor Billy Mumy from many shows, not the least of which, three of the most popular Twilight Zone episodes of all time!

The series had incredible potential and top talent which generated huge publicity prior to its release. Unfortunately after the hugely successful first season the series

saw two transformations which would change critics opinions as well as alter its demographics. Seasons two and three would be influenced by series contemporaries Batman and Star Trek.

In the fall of 1966, ABC Television launched a new series in a rather original format. The campy, but smartly written Batman with actors Adam West and Burt Ward was pitted against Lost in Space on Wednesday nights. Irwin Allen, realizing he would have to seriously compete against this shows popular format. Unlike most producers who would simply emphasize the

current creative aspects of the present format of action and adventure - instead decided to mimic the Batman format. The result was a transformation from a drama to a comedy.

That change would increase Lost in Space's popularity in the short term, but it would also turn the critics squarely against the show.

Employing the comedic talents of cast member, Jonathan Harris and Billy Mumy the series moved away from the family centered theme to one of adventure and action similar to Treasure Island's Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins. The series routinely beat out Batman in the 8 to 9PM time slot.

By 1968 another series was turning in okay numbers for network television, NBC's Star Trek. But unlike Lost in Space it never saw the popularity of the former. Irwin Allen stole some of the more interesting Star Trek series particulars and incorporated it into Lost in Space. The Jupiter 2, our "land locked" spaceship was given wings and the Space Family Robinsons would travel from world to world, just like our NBC Star Trekcounterparts. Along with this change came an enthusiastically written new John Williams theme and opening credit sequence.

The series also boasted many more stories involving the rest of the cast, satisfying actors who felt "short-changed" contributions from the second season. New hardware like the Space Pod, was added to the series allowing other adventures beyond the confines of our now space worthy mother vessel.

gw_mast.gif

Two of the most popular episodes emerged from the third season re-tooling, The Anti-Matter Man a spooky tale involving an evil John Robinson exchanging places with his "nice" double and "Visit to a Hostile Planet" where our space faring family actually make the trek back to earth. This story was so popular TV Guide did a nice feature spread during this episode's premiere.

The series was still very popular in the spring of 1968, and cast members were confident that a 1968/1969 fall season would be in the works. Unfortunately, due to the excessive cost of 20th Century Fox's disastrous movie forayCleopatra, all television and film divisions of the massive studio were asked to collectively absorb the losses. Lost in Space was no exception and series creator, Irwin Allen, felt his portion of the cuts were unacceptable and refused to produce Lost in Space for the following season. And with that, the show was cancelled - not because of bad ratings, but because of lack of proper funding.

The series, however, would not be soon forgotten as television syndication was a popular (and profitable) way to continue the adventures of the Space Family Robinsons. The series would run almost indefinitely throughout the world.

Guest ranster627

http://mortystv.com/showcards/lost_in_space.shtml

This is one on Morty's Classics List ... and one of my all time favourites!!!!

Thanks for all that work Jem!

lost_in_space_pic6_veg_lv.jpg

That's a pic from one of the most malligned episodes ...

lost_in_space_pic3_smith.jpg

and my favourite character ... he was hilarious!

Dr Smith was so evil! :twisted:

Guest ranster627

He was such a coward!

I never saw the first episodes when I was a kid but I loved the series. My g/f bought me the first season on DVD for Christmas. I never did realize that Dr. Smith was such an evil character. I always thought he was a total coward and wondered how he ended up on the mission to begin with.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK THE TELEVISIONARY

Question: I was a big Lost in Space fan as a kid. Watching reruns, I realized there was a big difference between the evil Dr. Smith from the first episodes and the funny Dr. Smith who came along later. What was the deal with that?

I could go on and on about how really bad this show is, but I won't rehash it. I find it quite funny that the vast majority of Saturday morning cartoons shows between 1965 -1968 targeted a audience with a higher IQ and had higher production values. I got give Irwin Allan credit for recycle props\costums from Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea by simply repainting them green or orange. One week they be on Voyage, and a few weeks later they would show up on LIS. BTW, LIS really means Loosers In Space

By the time I was 10 I realized that Lost In Space was a pretty bad show. How this show stayed on the air for 3 years is amazing. Must have been the Space craze that kept it alive.

To this day if I happen to come across an episode being shown on TV, I am likely to yell: "Do it Don!!, man handle Dr. Smith into the airlock jetison his whimpy ass out into space"

WOW... I can't believe my last post was edited for mild language that can be found in PG-13 movies. I have read far worse in many of the forums here such as posters in the BB forum going off the deep end with hardcore remarks that would turn any movie into a R movie based on language alone. Personally I disagree that a post should be edited just because one person takes offense at very mild adult language. People get offended for all sorts of reasons, and raising the bar so that nobody ever gets offended is unrealistic and bad policy. I've read the forum rules and nothing I wrote was "gratuitous". Checking out of all my posts demonstrates that I am not prone to foul language or to trolling around just to piss people off. I play nicely while I am here (Except right now, and I'm still being pretty nice about it)

These forums are designed for adults, not children under the age of 10. I expect adults not to be so easily offended, or the forum leaders not to over react because a few Puritans can't handle language that doesn't pass the Disney test or some ultra squeaky clean standard they have set for themselves. If my grandma were to set the rules, the word "Damn" would be banned, and all posts would edited to "Darn", and that would just suck big time!!

Couldn't help but dig this one up. As I recall some body objected that I referred to Dr Smith as "Fricken Fairy".

Nobody loves to hate this horrible show more than I do.

It's not just bad to watch, it lowers your intelligent level each time. :cheshire:

A friend mine, who works at Princeton University, is, like myself, a big fan of "Lost in Space." We recently had a debate over which is the better robot: Robby from "Forbidden Planet," or the B9 from "Lost in Space." This debate could have been a scene from "The Big Bang Theory" with us two adults arguing over bad sci-fi.

Anyway, I discovered something so cool: They are making life-size B-9 robots that you can buy, and own, and talk to, and play with, and guard your front door... and oh God do I want one. I was hoping these amazing replicas would be selling for a couple thousand, oh I had my Visa card out and ready, only to discover, they are selling for $25,500. The two grand I hoped for isn't in my budget, but $24,500!

So even if you don't have the cash to buy one, the true "Lost in Space" fan will have to check out: http://www.lostinspacerobot.com/

RobotFamily.jpg

I think that picture is just so cool! (I know, I never grew up.)

And, if you're one of those freaks that feel Robby is the better bot, then get ready to shell out $49,999.95 (plus $500 freight) to Hammacher Schlemmer for a Genuine 7 Foot Robby The Robot. Life-size, fully animatronic remote-controlled version of Robby, the robot from the classic 1956 film "Forbidden Planet. "

robby_robot.jpg

Details are at: http://www.hammacher.com/publish/10921.asp#

Hammacher Schlemmer also has a pretty cool R2-D2 robot for $170 which I'd consider if they'd modify him to vacuum my floors.

75698.jpg