Followers 0
Slowpoke

PSYCH

75 posts in this topic

PSYCH

Starts July 7th - 10 p.m. - USA network

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/psych/

Finally a new cop / detective show with a dash of humor :D

Be sure to click on the 'Video Preview' .... gives you a good idea of what to expect.

Can't wait :excl:

I plan to slow. It comes on right after Monk which is another one I always watch so it will be easy to remember when its on. lol

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ROUSH REVIEW

A Merry Medium

Psych mixes mystery with mischief

060628roushreview.jpg

Dul

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Corbin Bernsen Is One Psych'd Fella

by Raven Snook

060707insider3.jpg

Corbin Bernsen, Psych

It's easy to take potshots at Corbin Bernsen. Although he was nominated for a pair of Emmys during his eight-year run as womanizing divorce attorney Arnie Becker on L.A. Law, his subsequent projects have been spotty. For every A-list appearance

Moved post by Wyman: Monk comes back tonight and a new show called Psych comes on right after it (on USA Network). Monk is always great and I've read a bunch of reviews for Psych and almost all have been positive. Is anyone else watching these shows?

LOL add another show to my must watch list.

great show

I'll watch it again.

I'm always glad when the pilot show is over.... now they can get on with it....

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Psych

by Raven Snook

July 7, 2006: It

OK... Shawn has to tone down the exaggerated "psychic" moments :huh:

Besides that - - looks like it's shaping up to be a keeper.

Psych

by Raven Snook

July 14, 2006: Spelling It Out

This second episode of Psych made me laugh out loud several times. I

Courtesy of:TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Psych

by Raven Snook

July 21, 2006: Lack of Engagement

A lot of people complained that last week

Psych

by Raven Snook

July 28, 2006: Could You Say That Again?

OK, either my hearing is going, or Shawn mumbles a lot. I found myself rewinding my tape (yes, I still use a VCR) over and over again in order to hear his dry quips. Particular when he and Gus were in the car talking about their mutual love for Meredith Baxter Birney. I had to listen three times before I understood that Shawn said "MBB gave birth to APK."

From the outset, it was clear that Raylene was evil. Anyone that sweet is bound to be trouble. Poor Gus. It was painful to watch him fall for her. If Shawn were really a good guy, he would pass one or two of his conquests on to Gus. People have previously complained that all Shawn and Gus did was bicker, and that it was hard to believe they're friends. Up until this episode, I didn't have a problem buying into their opposites-attract relationship (look at Oscar Madison and Felix Unger, or Ferris Bueller and Cameron Frye). However, when Shawn started getting flirty with Raylene (that seems to be the only way he can relate to women), I was surprised Gus didn't call him on it. He really needs a backbone to go with his "super smeller."

Although Corbin Bernsen was completely MIA except for the mandatory opening flashback, the interplay between Gus and Shawn made the episode. They had some wonderful exchanges (when I could understand them). Shawn drove Gus crazy yelling "Bingo!" so he changed to "Yahtzee!" Gus impressed Shawn with his sensitive nose. The two of them were a great team when they outwitted the dumb ex-con. The look on Gus' face as he held up three fingers was absolutely priceless.

The writers worked overtime this episode to emphasize how Maggie Lawson's Juliet is different than Anne Dudek's Lucinda. Not only did she make it clear to Lassiter that she wasn

Psych

by Raven Snook

August 4, 2006: Suicide Club

Thank you for enunciating, Shawn. For once I didn't have to blast the volume in order to understand your one-liners, which were pretty funny. But the mystery? You've got to be kidding me. I'm not even going to address the silliness of the serial killer's motive. (Then again, serial killers aren't known for their logic.) Still, I thought the whole murders-disguised-as-suicides plot was pretty lame.

However, that's not why we watch the show, right? We tune in to watch Shawn drive everyone crazy, something he certainly has a talent for. His cat impression, or rather his impression of the cat's impression of its owner, complete with high-pitched female voice and Fosse jazz hands, was hysterical, as was his relationship with the feline. Poor Gus was relegated to the backseat of his own car while the cat rode shotgun. Lassiter, who up until now has been a pretty one-note villain, also made me laugh a few times, and while the lines aren't funny on their own, it was the way he said them that amused me. When he ran into Shawn and Gus at the home of the first victim, he exclaimed, "What in the name of sweet justice are you doing at my crime scene?" with gleeful venom. And the way he said "nice" when he spied the cat peeing was hysterical.

Even though I could see this joke coming since the very first episode, the scene when Shawn and Gus posed as a gay couple was very amusing (and not offensive, which was refreshing considering that gags like that often end up seeming homophobic). Since Gus is uncomfortable about almost everything, his shock when Shawn put his arm around him was in keeping with his character. The look on his face when Shawn talked about them taking a "shower for two" had me cackling. As Shawn said, "I only said that so I could see your face when I said it."

Juliet's showing a little more spunk and Shawn is so interested. She is female and a size 4, after all. When he begged her to look into the victims' telephone records, she asked, "Why would I do something like this for you?" His response: "Some would say it's the hair." Yeah, right. Honestly, I could see Shawn doing really well with college ladies, but any gal over 30 is going to see right through him.

There were two fantastic lines in this episode, both featuring pop-culture references (of course). When Gus asked what Shawn was doing as he feverishly scrawled figures he said, "I don't know. But I see it on Numbers all the time. It seems to work for them." And later, when Gus asked Shawn if he noticed the stress-hotline operator's eyeliner, he replied, "That guy could be the drummer from The Cure." I loved that Mr. Eyeliner was listening to "Up, Up and Away." (As a goth chick who listens to show tunes, I totally related to him.)

A lot of commenters have been complaining that Gus' constant exasperation with Shawn is getting old. But I don't agree. For me, Gus (and Corbin Bernsen as Shawn's father, god I can't wait until they give him more to do!) is a big reason why Shawn's shtick doesn't fall flat. It may seem like Dul

Psych

by Raven Snook

August 11, 2006: Uncivil War

For me, the funniest part of this episode was when Shawn asked Gus to participate in the Civil War reenactment. Gus lowered his eyelids, glared at Shawn and asked, "And exactly what part would I play in this?" Although the word "slave" was never mentioned, it was clear what Gus was thinking. Of course, Shawn got him to agree to it by invoking the legacy of an Oscar-winning African-American actor. "I was thinking Glory. I was thinking Denzel." Poor Gus, suckered by Shawn's shtick once again. Gus ended up in a band uniform with a plume atop his head, not exactly as smart as Shawn's military garb. Although Shawn and Gus are classic antithetical buddies, race seems like the least of their differences. It's funny to note that James Roday, who plays Shawn, is Hispanic in real-life (his birth name was Rodriguez). And here I was thinking I finally had a TV crush on a nice Jewish boy.

I was glad to see Corbin Bernsen getting more screen time. The inscription he wanted to put on the gold pocket watch he gave his son was classic: "Shawn, don't lose this watch. Henry Spencer." As if that wasn't bad enough, he was too cheap to pay for all those words! So it ended up reading, "Don't lose. Henry." God, he is an awful father. I love laughing at him, just like I giggle at the gross parental negligence of Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin. But is it any wonder that Shawn turned out to be so trying? A father like Henry is liable to drive anyone to rebel. He's lucky Shawn only ended up being a sarcastic hipster. He might have chosen to be a criminal just to spite him.

Lassiter looked damn fine with 19th-century facial hair, and the uniform fit him well, too. But he so needs to lighten up. His relationship with Shawn is taking on a Chief Dreyfus-Inspector Clouseau vibe. Does he really always want to be the jackass?

The mystery was a little less silly than usual, the basic rip-yourself-off-for-the-insurance scam. There were a lot of funny lines, mostly from my boy Bernsen. When Shawn was tardy he said, "He came late at birth and he's been late ever since." When the jeweler suggested that he end his inscription with the words "Love, Dad," he replied, "Why don't you just put, 'Kissy, kissy'?" And his excuse for giving Shawn his birthday present late? "After you were born it took you four months to smile at me. That's when the clock started ticking." And I thought my dad was cold! I definitely feel like Psych is finally hitting its stride.

Posted by Raven Snook 08/12/2006 10:26 PM

Any one still watching?

Psych

by Raven Snook

August 18, 2006: What the Hell Happened to Frank Whaley?

While I was glad to see him working, Frank didn't look so hot in this episode (back in the '90s, I used to have a major crush on him, which is now officially dead). But I thought he did a great job of playing two characters, er, personalities... three, if you count the killer Martin Brody at the end. That said, how lame (not to mention homophobic) was the whole transgendered-killer angle? This isn't a political blog and Psych is obviously not a political show. I just thought that clich

Courtesy of: USA, PSYCH

PSYCH RE-OPENS FOR BUSINESS IN JANUARY

We're sorry, but the Psych office will be closed from now until January 2007, when Shawn and Gus return with seven all-new episodes. Please direct all inquires to Det. Carlton "Lassy" Lassiter until then.

And in case you were wondering, business has been so good at Psych that USA Network will be bringing the boys back for a Second Season!

The 2nd season of Psych starts on Jan 19th after the new season of MONK

USA is having a Psych Marathon here are the shows and times :

12:30 PM PSYCH MARATHON PSYCH (PILOT)

02:00 PM PSYCH MARATHON 9 LIVES

03:00 PM PSYCH MARATHON WEEKEND WARRIORS

04:00 PM PSYCH MARATHON SPELLINGG BEE

05:00 PM PSYCH MARATHON WOMAN SEEKING DEAD HUSBAND - SMOKERS OKAY, NO PETS

06:00 PM PSYCH MARATHON SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PIECE

07:00 PM PSYCH MARATHON WHO YA GONNA CALL?

:animated_bouncy: Anyone see the PYSCH season premier?

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

04/20 - Episode 2.01 - Psy vs. Psy [Airing July 13]: Shawn and Gus go to the station for a meeting and Shawn meets a beautiful woman in the hall. He flirts with her and tells her he is psychic. During the meeting, they are introduced to a bigger and better Lassiter clone, Special Agent Lars Ewing with the Federal Treasury Department, who tells everyone that they are working on a counterfeiting case that has brought F.T.D. to town. He tells the group, including Lassie (who is salivating over the man's shoes and gadgets), that the F.T.D. has their own psychic so he doesn't need Shawn's help, and in walks the beautiful woman from the hall. She tells Shawn that she will solve the case AND prove he's a fake. Later, she and Shawn spend quality time together in her hotel room. Source: SpoilerFix.com

04/26 - Episode 2.02 - American Duos: Shawn and Gus hang out with a very strange man named Nigel St. Nigel who was almost murdered. Lassiter questions an even stranger woman named Emilina, who he believes tried to kill St. Nigel. Source: SpoilerFix.com

Courtesy of; SPOILERFIX

05/03 - Episode 2.03 - Sixty Five Million Years Off: Shawn is worried when he hasn't gotten a call for help from the police in a month. He places himself on a murder case and surprises everyone when he walks into the coroner's office with a papier-mache dinosaur head. The Chief asks the department psychologist to speak to Shawn, concerned that he is stretching himself out a bit too thin. When the Chief, Lassiter and Juliet burst in and confirm Shawn's "guess" about the dead man and the murder weapon, he feels vindicated and cheers up considerably. Source: SpoilerFix.com

05/14 - Episode 2.04 - Zero to Murder in Sixty Seconds: After Shawn & Gus take teasing Lassiter a little too far and getting his car stolen, he commandeers Gus's car as a replacement. Shawn tracks down Lassiter's car to a chop shop. Shawn soon realizes all is not what it seems and when the police arrest a man named Wally, Shawn discovers he is right. Shawn takes Gus's car undercover to get "tricked out", much to Gus's dismay. When Shawn realizes a big deal containing cars and drugs is going down, he convinces Lassiter and Juliet to go to the airfield and Gus offers the use of his fancy car. Source: SpoilerFix.com