Followers 0
Jem

LOST- In The Media

83 posts in this topic

6 characters from 'Lost' to become action figures

By Katherine Nichols

art4a9ew.jpg

COURTESY OF MCFARLANE TOYS

The action figure of "Lost" character Charlie is shown here, a role played by actor Dominic Monaghan in the TV series.

Regardless of who is killed next on "Lost," six of the original cast are achieving immortality: McFarlane Toys is creating action figures in the forms of characters Jack, Kate, Hurley, Locke, Charlie and Shannon.

The 6-inch-tall collectibles will come with a detailed base, a photographic backdrop representing a specific episode and a prop reproduction central to that character's history. The term "action figure" is relative; they'll have "limited articulation," meaning the limbs will move, but not much. They will, however, talk.

Using sound-chip technology, Charlie (the heroin-addict, rock guitarist) will say, "Guys ... where are we?" and "You don't know me? I'm a bloody rock god!" He'll also sing a line from a song by Driveshaft, his band.

The figures are being manufactured under a licensing agreement with Disney-ABC's Touchstone Television, which produces the made-in-Hawaii TV hit. Their designs are precise to the point that computer scans were taken of each actor's face for use in making the models.

Though McFarlane is unsure about the number of figures it will release, "once it's sold out, it's sold out," said Carmen Bryant, executive director of public relations. The single-production run will likely propel the figures into collectors' items. A second line -- which includes Sawyer, for female fans disappointed in his absence the first time around -- is targeted for next spring.

McFarlane CEO Todd McFarlane is best known as the creator of the "Spawn" comic books. But he's also won Grammy and Emmy awards as a producer and director, and has brokered multiple licensing tie-ins with major television and movie productions, such as "Shrek."

"Our reputation is all about the exact likeness," Bryant said. "We're not Mattel; we're not Hasbro. We think outside the box. Throughout the years, our company has really raised the bar in the industry. The reason that has come about is Todd's passion for capturing what you're seeing on the screen."

Components associated with the figures emerged in brainstorming sessions between the show's executive producers and McFarlane, who visited Hawaii in January to meet with the actors and scan their faces to capture dimensions and likenesses.

The sessions resulted in packages such as Kate's: Foliage will surround her figure, recreating the pivotal moment when she first heard voices whispering in the jungle. Her prop is a toy airplane. Charlie's is his Driveshaft ring, Hurley's is his winning lottery ticket.

In addition to the figures, a small diorama -- called a deluxe boxed set -- will hit stores simultaneously. The first will depict the top of the mysterious hatch, a crucial plot point at the end of last season and through most of the second. Around it will be miniature figures of Kate, Jack, Locke and Hurley.

But even dedicated fans may ask: Why include Shannon, a character killed early in season two, in the first set of figures?

"We wanted to start at the very beginning of 'Lost,'" Bryant said. "One of the key elements of our figures is the storytelling. Shannon was a big part of that. Plus, she's going to be in a bikini!" (When the Shannon figure speaks, she'll whine, "What's a four letter word for 'I don't care'?")

Anticipated sales are "huge," Bryant said, with buyers expected to include a cross-section of devoted McFarlane collectors and the broad base of "Lost" fans. Figures will be available online and at most stores, including Toys R Us, Wal-Mart and KB Toys, retailing for $14.99 to $19.99 (including the base and prop). The hatch diorama will sell for $24.99 to $29.99.

"I think people will want to have a little part of the show," Bryant added. "It's such a smart show. It's not the kind of show that you watch in secret. It's not your guilty pleasure."

Michael Emerson: The Other Illustrator

Interview by Scott Juba

2422a.jpg

Michael Emerson as Henry Gale on Lost.

Lost

'Lost' in the Web

ABC tries an online ''Experience'' to sate fans of its hit show till fall by Jeff Jensen

104640__lost_l.jpg

(From Left) Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Josh Holloway, and Dominic Monaghan

On the night that the ABC Cast Away

Lost set to become sexier

By Colin Mahan - TV.com

Series cocreators hint at a movie and that season three will feature more sex. Lost sex will be found. Prepare for sex and a Lost movie, in that order.

Lost executive producer Carlton Cuse wants sex, and lots of it. Cuse, speaking with Broadcast, said that when the show returns with new episodes in September, it'll be time for some of the characters to start engaging in sexy business. "It is organically the time where they can have relationships," he explained. "I am promising sex and hopefully it will be gratuitous."

In addition to the promise of sex, Cuse says three new characters will be added to the show.

Elsewhere, series cocreator Damon Lindelof told World Entertainment News Network that he thinks a movie is the way to keep the show from petering out creatively. "We'd love to end the show after four years, five years tops, and do a movie," Lindelof said.

Lost wrapped its second season at 14 in the 2005-2006 Nielsen ratings. In season two, Ana Lucia (played by Michelle Rodriguez) seduced Sawyer (played by Josh Holloway) in order to steal his handgun.

Congratulations to Michael Emerson for his Emmy nomination (as a guest star, not a series regular) for his role as (Not)Henry Gale. He TOTALLY deserves it!!! This is the ONLY thing they got right this year- no nominations for any of the other actors or the show itself? Are they totally insane? :angry:

Just found out that Lost starts October 4 at 9pm Eastern.

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

'Lost's' Long 'Day Break'

Show won't repeat, but it will take a while off

By Rick Porter

July 18 2006

23606351.jpg

Terry O'Quinn on 'Lost'

PASADENA, Calif. -- The good news for "Lost" fans: ABC has listened to you, and has scheduled the show in such a way for next season that it won't have any reruns.

The bad news: There will be a 13-week gap between the show's first run of episodes in the fall and the unbroken 15- or 16-episode string to close the 2006-07 season.

Into that long break will go "Day Break," a new drama series that stars Taye Diggs as an L.A. detective who's being framed for murder and keeps reliving the same day, "Groundhog Day"-style, while trying to prove his innocence.

ABC Entertainment chief Steve McPherson said at May's upfronts that he was looking at ways to schedule "Lost" without repeats in the coming season, and he reiterated his commitment to the idea Tuesday at the Television Critics Association press tour.

"We really listened to the audience," which was frustrated with the show's on-off-on scheduling late last season, McPherson says. He said that if it were possible to run the entire season straight through beginning in October, he would, but the show's production schedule won't allow it.

McPherson also didn't want to hold "Lost" until midseason because he wants to use it to help launch "The Nine," a highly touted new drama that will occupy the 10 p.m. Wednesday timeslot this season.

The compromise, then, is an initial run of six or seven episodes in the fall (the season premiere is scheduled for Oct. 4). "Day Break" will then take over the 9 p.m. Wednesday slot for 13 weeks (it's set to premiere Nov. 15), with "Lost" returning after that.

The "Lost" writers are aware of the scheduling and will tailor story arcs to fit the two blocks of episodes, McPherson says. He also hopes to keep viewers engaged with some off-screen content along the lines of the "Lost Experience" game that web users worldwide are currently playing.

Thanks for picking up the slack on my part Dade. :)

No problem Jem. :)

Is ABC Losing Faith in LOST?

Source

August 02, 2006

A year ago, ABC hosted an incredible launch party for the release of the LOST Season 1 DVD. Journalists were flown to Hawaii, free of charge, whisked away into the jungle via tram ride, and serenaded by a band playing on fuselage while they were satiated with tropical drinks on the beach. The whole even was an epic undertaking, impressing all who were invited.

This year, however, the launch of the LOST Season 2 DVD will not be met with a similar extravaganza. ABC has severely reduced the budget for this year's party, slicing the guest list in half and abandoning last year's beach front venue, opting to use a 125-seat restaurant instead. This budgetary skimping could be a harbinger of sever under-financing in the near future.

I sincerely hope ABC doesn't view LOST's season 2 as a disappointment simply because ratings went down. Most any show that explodes onto the scene in their premiere season will have a let-down in their sophomore year. This is what happens when the initial hype inevitably dies down. It is normal. Even so, LOST was undoubtedly a huge moneymaker for Disney.

Perhaps more troubling is what some view as the creative discrepancies between the first two seasons. While LOST's first season was universally lauded, the second failed to garner as much critical praise, perfectly evidenced by this year's noticeably fewer Emmy nominations. Again, the second season is always a tough one and there has to be someone at ABC who understands this. However, the lessening critical support is the kind of thing that may convince the network executives to strip down LOST's budget. It is wholly possible that ABC's internal viewpoint of LOST has switched from

LOST Nominated for Two Internet Television Awards

Lost may have been snubbed at the Emmys, but the Internet Entertainment Writers Association have nominated the show for two Internet Television Awards. The show itself was nominated for Favorite Primetime Drama Series, while Matthew Fox took a nod for Favorite Actor in a Primetime Drama Series. Voting is open to the public and lasts until August 25th.

You can cast your vote at http://www.internettvawards.com/

Courtesy of LOST-TV.com

The new LOST Season 3 promo poster is out and it's a beauty! The eyes have it B) . There is no Michael or Walt on the poster but Desmond and Nothenry are, along with Eko and Desmond (yep, they must be alive!).

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=16176

Courtesy of comingsoon.net:

Courtesy of approachinglost.com:

No Skinny Dipping for Josh, Dominic and Matthew

By Nikki | Related entries in Matthew Fox, Josh Holloway, Dominic Monaghan

It seems that Matthew Fox, Dominic Monaghan, and Josh Holloway have been banned from getting naked while filming Lost - after producers expressed concern about their skinny-dipping.

The trio have made no secret of their love for stripping off in between shoots - but producers are forcing the stars to keep their clothes on in case a photographer catches them in the nude.

An insider says,

yeah, that would have been a GREAT bonus feature for the season three dvds...or a really fun easter egg to find ;) .

Just found out that Lost starts October 4 at 9pm Eastern.

Thank you, thank you. I cant wait, although some of these articles have me a bit worried, I hope season 3 doesnt go downhill!

Michael Emerson takes charge of The Others in third season of 'Lost'

HONOLULU (AP)

Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:57:00 CST

e092731A.jpg

Actor Michael Emerson, a cast member of the hit ABC dramatic series "Lost." (AP Photo/Marco Garcia)

Henry Gale wasn't supposed to survive this long.

The cunning, bug-eyed character on ABC's castaway drama "Lost," played by Michael Emerson, was hired for three episodes midway through Season 2. But once producers saw Emerson in action, he was made into a key character and is now leading The Others in the highly anticipated third season.

"The reason The Others seem so frightening is like everything in the real world - it's frightening when it's unknown," Emerson told The Associated Press. "Their agenda is unknown to us; therefore we fill it up with terrible imaginings."

The former Broadway actor is best known to TV audiences for his Emmy-winning performance as a serial killer in "The Practice." Damon Lindelof, co-creator and executive producer of "Lost" (season premiere Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET), said the original plan was to have Henry escape after the three episodes. But Season 2 ended with Henry and his armed cadre on a dock, holding plane crash survivors Jack, Kate and Sawyer captive.

"Who are you people?" asked Michael, who had betrayed his fellow castaways in exchange for his son.

"We're the good guys," Henry replies.

"I think he means it," Emerson said of his character (actors are typically kept in the dark about future plot developments). "We may not agree with him, but I think he believes it."

Season 3 opens with Jack (Matthew Fox), Kate (Evangeline Lily) and Sawyer (Josh Holloway) in captivity. This season will explore why they were targeted; whether Sun's baby is really Jin's; Charlie trying to gain Claire's trust, a new woman catching Jack's attention; Locke and Sayid leading a group to rescue the three captives; and Desmond's wealthy lover trying to locate the island.

"In Season 3, the show moves geographically and spiritually to another place," Emerson said. "We will be with The Others more. They will become more three-dimensional."

He said viewers may even come to sympathize with The Others, who were on island long before the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815.

"Who's really the intruder? Who's the bad guys? Who's upsetting who? Who has the right to be there?" Emerson said.

Despite most of his scenes occurring in a small cell, Henry Gale has become one of the most compelling figures on "Lost." With a piercing stare, he transitions from victim to villain, keeping viewers guessing whether they should be sympathetic or scared.

And while Locke was pushing buttons to save the world, Henry was busy pushing Locke's buttons. Could Henry be a psychologist, or just well read?

"He seems to have a strong background in psychology, I would say," Emerson said. "He's beyond well read. He's really well read. That psychology stuff? That sounds good to me. He's not playing around when it comes to behaviour."

Like his character, Emerson is articulate and intelligent. Unlike Henry, Emerson is personable and warm.

While honing his skills on stage, he held several odd jobs as a landscaper, teacher, carpenter and illustrator while honing his skills on stage.

"You know those Social Security statements that tell you what you made every year? I look back on that and think, 'This is insanely little money,"' Emerson said. "But I don't remember feeling very desperate about it. ... Despite my poverty, I was always sort of doing what I wanted to do."

Emerson, 52, grew up in the small farming town of Toledo, Iowa, where he spent a lot of his unstructured childhood reading, drawing and day dreaming.He majored in theatre at Drake University and quickly became known as the small guy with a big voice.

He then moved to New York City.

"I thought Des Moines (Iowa) was this crazy big town. New York just knocked the wind out of me," he said. "I was looking for a big challenge and I found it."

He moved to the South and eventually met his future wife, actress Carrie Preston, during a production of "Hamlet" at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. He followed her to New York and got his first major break as the lead in Moises Kaufman's "Gross Indecency."

The name "Henry Gale" is as puzzling as Emerson's character.

It's not even the character's real name. He at first presents himself as a rich businessman who crash landed on the island on a hot air balloon with his wife, who allegedly died.

Henry Gale was Dorothy Gale's uncle in the film "The Wizard of Oz." In the 1938 classic, a hot air balloon was the mode of transportation for the Wizard and supposed to return Dorothy home to Kansas.

"What does all that mean? Is it just fun or is it a clue?" Emerson asked. "Dorothy is sort of shipwrecked in a strange place far from home, but hers was a fantasy. It wasn't real.

"It was a place where the moral order was sort of turned upside down or seen from a different perspective. On some level, it was a test of her as a person."

The real Henry Gale on "Lost" is a dead black man who is buried near the damaged hot air balloon.

That leaves even Emerson perplexed about who his character is.

"I'm not sure how that's going to work out," he said. "It seems everybody kind of knows him as Henry now, but sooner or later, we're going to have to put a real name on him, aren't we?

News from

Evangeline and Dominic Tying the Knot?

Courtesy of Nikki at ApproachingLOST.com and the Canadian Press

Supposedly next summer!!

A source said:

Me too, Angel, me too. ;) (Thanks for the post, Dade!)

Courtesy of: MEDIAWEEK

ABC, Nielsen Disagree Over Lost Clip-Show Ratings

John Consoli

OCTOBER 13, 2006 -

ABC is at odds with Nielsen Media Research over a Sept. 27 clip show of the drama series Lost that Nielsen has counted as part of the show's regular-season ratings.

ABC officials say the show was a special that aired the week before the show

'Lost' returns to Locke, hatch implosion

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer

losts03e03hdtvxvidlol0620001gt8.jpg

Forget those Others. In Wednesday's episode, "Lost" turned its attention back to the castaways' community and addressed what happened when the hatch imploded.

Here's a refresher: Last season, John Locke (Terry O' Quinn), Mr. Eko (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) and Desmond (Henry Ian Cusick) were all in the hatch when Desmond turned the fail-safe key to diffuse the electromagnetic energy that was rocking the island. An implosion ensued

Check out this hilarious parody of LOST fans on youtube! It even features a cameo by Maggie Grace... :lol: