Guest Guest_Angie_*

One Day At A Time/Alice

Guest Guest_Angie_*

Anyone seen anything of One Day At A Time or Alice? I would love to see these shows again. I wish they had the seasons on DVD. I wish Mama's Family was also on DVD.

Hi, I don't know about the others, but Mama's Family first season is on DVD. I bought it for my Uncle last year for xmas from Columbia House.com. Hope that helps in your quest.

Catt

They used to show Alice on the ION channel but must have been taken off. There is a compilation DVD of the favorite episodes and you can get One Day at a Time seasons on DVD. Just check Amazon or your favorite store.

Alice is a show I think about when I think about how things out of the control of the producers and writers have to be factored into the show. Alice was based on the Martin Scorsese movie "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" starring Ellen Burstyn, about a newly divorced mom moving to Arizona to start her life over. The TV show was supposed to be about a single mom raising her son, making Tommy (Phillip McKeon) a major character. His character was supposed to be about 11 or 12 years old, even though Phillip (like many child actors) was a lot older but very small for his age.

After the first season Phillip shot up like a foot tall! Suddenly he had to be made a minor character, and they hardly showed him, and had to focus more on the diner to keep her out of her house where her enormous son would be.

Other shows like that were Dream On (the 13 yo kid looked like a center for a basketball team by the end of the show), and one of the twins on the Hogan Family started aging while the other brother didn't.

I loooved Vic Tayback! Possibly one of my all time favorite TV actors!

Very good insight on "Alice." But I disagree with your comments on "Dream On."

Chris Demetral who played Martin's son was really only 14 when the series started, and they had his character age as he did. The reason Chris looked so tall is because Brian Benben (played his father) is only 5' 7". They had lots of short people working on "Dream On" so Brian won't look so short. I mean they paired him with Denny Dillon who's only 4' 11"

Anyone seen anything of One Day At A Time or Alice? I would love to see these shows again. I wish they had the seasons on DVD. I wish Mama's Family was also on DVD.

One day at a Time, Season 1 is available on Netflix.