Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds
Photo

'Grey's Anatomy'

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Grey's Anatomy

Speaking of Golden Globe nominations, how happy was I that Grey's was nominated for best drama series, along with Patrick Dempsey for best actor and Sandra Oh for best supporting actress? Here's hoping more of the cast get noticed for future awards, especially my favorite, T.R. Knight. This repeat of the season premiere reminded me why George is my favorite character. I loved that Webber asked George to be the mole, or in this case the "sponge," and it was very cool for George to use his sponge status to help get Joe the insuranceless bartender's expensive surgery financed. I remember how glued to the TV I was the first time I watched this, wanting to find out more about Addison. It was also the first time Meredith found out about Cristina sleeping with Burke, so it was great to relive those early Cristina-Burke moments, along with seeing Alex and Izzie when all they did was play the flirt-and-ignore game. One line I missed the first time was Meredith saying "my ex-boyfriend's wife looks like Isabella frickin' Rossellini and I'm like me." Of course, George had to tell Meredith "you look nice" twice. And, of course, I cried again when Alex hugged George at the end. What can I say? I'm a sap. Dave Anderson

Edited by Dade, 19 December 2005 - 01:04 PM.

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

RICCI KEEN:
Grey's Anatomy has tapped film vet Christina Ricci to guest-star on the Feb. 5 episode — an all-important one, as it airs immediately after ABC's broadcast of Super Bowl XL. Although the plot is being kept under wraps, the network has revealed that Ricci, who in my opinion once delivered an underappreciated turn on Ally McBeal, will visit Seattle Grace Hospital "not as a patient, but in a life-and-death situation." Uh-oh, is something wrong with Pugsley?

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts

Grey's Anatomy

I think my mother, Joan, summed it up best: "I like these catch-up episodes. Just like last week's Desperate Housewives recap, it helped me to get caught up since I missed a few here and there." Thanks, Joan. And it especially helps when you love the show. This hour did a great job capturing just about all the best scenes, plus it solidified exactly why we love the show so much: It has great characters whom we care about. But what goes into making great characters is a combination of fantastic writing and top-notch acting. Thank you, Writers Guild, for nominating Grey's for Outstanding Achievement in Writing for a Dramatic Series and thank you, Screen Actors Guild, for nominating Patrick Dempsey for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series, Sandra Oh for best actress and the entire cast for drama series ensemble. It was great to relive so many of the best moments: Addison revealing that she cheated on Derek rather than the opposite, Burke getting into the hospital bed with a crying Cristina and comforting her in front of her mother, George flying solo on the stalled elevator ("I've got my finger in a heart") and Izzie's best line ever: "Because it's what Jesus would freakin' do!" But my favorite part of tonight's recap was seeing all the times Izzie and Meredith have said "seriously," all edited together. I have been saying that word quite often, both to myself and aloud, because of this show. Seriously. — Dave Anderson

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts

Grey's Anatomy

First of all, I was so happy they finally played the opening theme song again. Admit it — you were happy, too. OK, got that out of the way. Tonight was T.R. Knight's best episode since the one with the elevator surgery. I died when George said Meredith's new dog was trying to mount him from behind. More important, how perfect was it that George, the former Mathlete, was the intern assigned to the girl they found out was a hermaphrodite? His whole speech to her about high school being difficult for "anyone who is the least bit different" sure hit home for me since I was always picked last in gym class. When he said "then there's college and then in the real world, you'll find where you fit in," I, of course, cried. And what a great moment it was when the girl said, "You mean — I could be a boy?" and she slowly had a smile on her face, followed by a quiet "Yes." At the end, I thought the mother was going to chastise George when he was cutting the girl's hair, but thankfully, she just grabbed the scissors and took over. Elsewhere, I loved that Cristina got to bond with the pregnant Bailey (why was she flying?) about why Bailey chose to keep her baby, and I also loved when Cristina finally told Burke whether she was going to keep her baby or not. Burke: "I'm not mad. I just wanted to know. I want to know things." Awesome scene. And can you blame that guy awaiting the heart transplant for falling for the irresistible Izzie? It was a nice way for her to get her mind off Alex, and for Alex to be jealous. Also brilliant: Derek saying to Addison, "There is a land called Passive Aggressiva and you are their queen." — Dave Anderson

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts

Grey's Anatomy

I loved tonight's episode, and I'm not lying — unlike everyone in this episode. Ellen Pompeo's closing narration summed it up: "The truth hurts — so we lie." Cristina lied to Burke by not telling him she still has her apartment. Meredith lied by telling Cristina she was over McDreamy. Nice to know Alex passed his boards this time. Great quote from Izzie to Alex: "Congratulations, you're not an idiot, except when you're being an idiot." How cool to see Patrick Dempsey and Sandra Oh together in several scenes tonight, especially since they're the two actors who keep getting nominations (and in Sandra's case, an actual award — I was ecstatic when she won that Golden Globe!). Here's hoping the other people on the show start getting some notice, especially (you knew this was coming) T.R. Knight, my fave. His scenes tonight with the phenomenal Carole Cook were awesome. I've loved Carole since she squeezed Molly Ringwald's "boobies" in Sixteen Candles. I know a lot of you are thinking "Yes! That's why she looked familiar!" Honestly, that final scene between her and George was magnificent: "Nursing homes are for old people. I know that I'm elderly. I do know that. But if I have to go to that place, I'm afraid I'll become old." Carole, have your people submit that scene for next year's Emmys, please. Another noteworthy guest star was Donovan Leitch (his dad is '60s pop singer Donovan and his sister is Say Anything's Ione Skye) as the guy who had to get his fingers surgically reattached. Glad Meredith chose George over the dog, as we knew she would. George looking at Meredith with his puppy-dog eyes was what did it, I'm sure. — Dave Anderson

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts

Grey's Anatomy

ABC was very smart to give us a new episode tonight, since the SAGs ended at 10 pm. And what a great one it was. Hopefully people who never watched the show but were watching the awards and saw Sandra Oh win (yea, Sandra!) thought, "Hmm, this gal just won a Golden Globe and now a SAG award. Maybe I should check out her show tonight." Yes, Sandra was fabulous as she always is, but Katherine Heigl and Ellen Pompeo gave their best performances, by far. Maybe the creative staff wanted to spread the wealth and help the other actors join Sandra and Patrick Dempsey in the world of award nominations. So Izzie has an 11-year old daughter that she gave up. What a perfect way for us to find out, by having her give advice to that young mother-to-be. How about Meredith discovering that Dr. Webber visits her mother? So glad she encouraged him to continue doing so at the end. What a beautiful scene with Derek comforting Meredith (you know he wanted to kiss her — glad he didn't). Seeing those three elderly women be there to witness their friend die forced Meredith's emotional outburst, "I don't want my mother to die alone!" Kudos to the casting department for acquiring such wonderful guest stars. The dying woman was played by Dona Hardy, who was just on My Name Is Earl, and I've always loved June Lockhart (Lassie, Petticoat Junction, Lost in Space) and Betty Garrett (All in the Family, Laverne & Shirley). That Lainie Kazan look-alike was Rae Allen. Then there was Regine Nehy as the pregnant girl and Leisha Hailey from The L Word as the woman whose leg was saved. And that leg-saver was played by my favorite guest star tonight, the hilarious Kali Rocha. Please bring her back. Maybe Cristina will give in and hug her some day. — Dave Anderson

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts

Grey's Anatomy

Remember the year Alias followed the Super Bowl? ABC made sure Sydney Bristow was scantily clad so that all the testosterone-fueled football fans would keep their network on, hoping for boffo ratings. I was wondering how they would achieve the same effect tonight with Grey's, so how perfect was it to start the episode with George having a steamy dream? Hilarious. Of course, his dream ended with him confessing his love for Meredith. Oh, George. I loved how Cristina went from saying to Meredith "This is me being supportive," to "Whatever! Everybody has problems!" Cristina's second statement certainly summed up the episode. Now we all know what a Code Black is, and if you're ever in a hospital and you hear someone scream those words, leave! You know that it's a "very special episode" when the series creator writes it, and Shonda Rhimes did a fantastic job, as did director Peter Horton. And they certainly didn't waste the talents of guest star Christina Ricci as the new paramedic getting "hands-on" experience — well, just one hand. Can we say intense? Then they throw in the fact that the car-crash victim is Bailey's never-before-seen husband, who was speeding to the hospital because she was in labor. Then the anesthesiologist guy bailed — "I've got kids" — leaving poor Hannah all alone. This episode had me so on the edge of my seat, I thought I was watching 24! Last week I said it was Ellen Pompeo's and Katherine Heigl's best work yet. This week I can say that about Chandra Wilson. Never thought I'd see George hug Bailey. George Bailey, hmm, never noticed that before. Jillian Armenante (Judging Amy) was awesome as the screaming wife, and I hope to see more scenes with guest stars Kyle Chandler as the bomb-squad dude and Cress Williams as Bailey's hubby next week, when this cliff-hanger concludes. — Dave Anderson

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts
SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLLIGHT TO SEE....DO NOT QUOTE
Putting this here because of the last sentence.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK AUSIELLO

Question: Oh. My. God. Grey's Anatomy's post-Super Bowl episode was fantastic! It was edge-of-my-seat material. Any clues as to what will happen next week? — Laura

Ausiello: Before we get to the big episode, I have some potentially huge Grey's gossip to share: Rumor has it that Chris O'Donnell has signed on for an eight-episode arc beginning in March. More details to come. Now, back to Sunday's Super installment, which, like Laura, I thought was pretty damn spectacular. Along with 38.1 million other viewers, I laughed (George fantasizing about showering with Meredith/Izzie/Cristina!), I cried (Bailey refusing to give birth without her husband!), I laughed some more (Izzie and Alex in the closet!), I cried some more (still with Bailey), I choked on a faux chicken finger (Meredith took Christina Ricci's place!) and then, before the credits rolled, I started counting the hours until next week's conclusion — spoilers for which are (shocker!) scarce. My guess — and this is just pure speculation — is that Meredith's brush with death will snap McDreamy out of his Addison-fueled trance and pave the way for their inevitable reconciliation. Oh, THIS JUST IN: ABC is rerunning the Super Bowl episode tomorrow (Thursday) at 9:30 pm/ET for the 16 people who missed it the first time.

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts

Grey's Anatomy

Let me get this out of the way. Best line of 2006 so far, of any show I watch, was definitely Bailey to George while he was helping her give birth: "Stop looking at my va-jay-jay!!" My roommate Jason and I screamed so loud with laughter that we had to rewind the TiVo immediately. What an unbelievable hour. And I thought last week was out of control! I've said several times before how much the music enhances this show. Utilizing Anna Nalick's "Breathe (2 am)" during the three simultaneous climactic scenes was brilliant: Bailey's labor (Shut up about the baby's middle name being George!), her husband's surgery and Meredith removing the bomb from a man's body. And then we got good news and bad news at the same time: Bailey's husband survived the surgery, so we'll be seeing more of Cress Williams (90210), but too bad we can't say the same about Kyle Chandler as the bomb-squad dude. I wanted him to be Meredith's new love interest — anything to get her mind off McDreamy. Glad they only reminisced about their last kiss rather than re-creating it. That would've been too soap opera-esque. But I did like that Meredith imagined Derek in front of her to get her mind off the bomb. I do the same thing when I'm at the dentist. Just as the drill is about to torture my mouth, I close my eyes and think of the people I love. Back to George and Bailey: That scene where he convinced her to go ahead with the birth was T.R. Knight's turn for Emmy consideration. I'd say the same about Kate Walsh tonight during Addison's breakdown. Emmy time next year's gonna be chock-full of Grey's actors. Nice ending, with George leaving just when his shower fantasy was about to be reenacted, followed by Cristina saying the "L" word to Burke when he was asleep. I'd use the same word for this show. — Dave Anderson

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts
Coutesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Grey's Anatomy

Oh no — it did not end that way! Are you not dying that Meredith and George got together?!? Absolutely the last thing I expected to happen. I thought for sure she was just going to hug him, say, "Thanks, George," and walk away, but then she took his shirt off! I'm sure the people in the next apartment heard me scream "Shut up!!" Then, after thinking about all that Meredith had just gone through, I got over my shock. But you know she's using him out of frustration, and our poor George is just going to get hurt. But hey, at least he'll get a chance to experience his obsession, especially since his "beast never sleeps." Oh, George. But let's talk about the rest of this awesome episode. So glad we finally got to meet Mark. Excellent casting, by the way — I'm already loving Eric Dane. He's got a definite Scott Speedman look to him. How great for McSteamy to say to Addison exactly what we've been thinking: "He's not in love with you; he's in love with that intern." And speaking of that intern, what a wonderful moment when Meredith went to her father's doorstep after 20 years and asked him why he left. I got chills when I realized Jeff Perry was Thatcher (I'm a former Chicagoan and have been a huge fan of his since his Steppenwolf Theatre days). Then there was Cristina and Burke — I loved what led to her getting rid of her apartment. She certainly shut him up at the end. And I never get bored with the patients on this show: the man with the Eric Stoltz-in-Mask face, the guy who thinks he's dying so he videotapes hate mail to his enemies and, of course, the woman experiencing spontaneous orgasms. Never a dull moment, indeed. OK, back to Meredith and George — shut up! — Dave Anderson

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK AUSIELLO

Question: Give us the scoop on Grey's Anatomy! Are Meredith and George going to hook up? That would ruin everything! — Sara

Ausiello: Judging by the previews for this Sunday's episode, it sure looks that way. And I'm with you, Sara — this could turn out to be Grey's first serious misstep. Wasn't the Meredith-Derek-Addison-Mark quadrangle complicated enough without adding this new McNerdy wrinkle to the mix? The whole thing feels extremely rushed and, sadly, will be more grist for the anti-Meredith mill. On top of being whiny and pathetic, now she's the selfish slut who broke George's heart. Hopefully, this'll just turn out to be another one of George's fantasies. Please, Shonda Rhimes, let this turn out to be another one of George's fantasies. And if it's not, you've got four days until the next episode airs. That's plenty of time to do some reshoots. (THIS JUST IN: I found out there's a site where Grey's writers blog about each episode. Click here to read scribe Krista Vernoff's defense of the George-Meredith tryst. Fascinating stuff.)

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts
Courtesy os: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Grey's Anatomy

Poor George. As many expected, sleeping with Meredith ended up not being the experience George was hoping for. I was really glad they waited until the end to show that scene of the two of them in bed together, treating it like a flashback in George's mind rather than opening the episode with it. Hopefully he'll get over the devastation, and moving out will certainly help matters. I'm loving Sara Ramirez as Dr. Callie Torres — she'll for sure help George get his mind off Meredith. I was very excited to read that Sara was joining the show as a recurring character — she won a Tony award for her performance in Monty Python's Spamalot. Speaking of George, he narrated both the opening and closing of the show instead of Meredith. Perhaps they'll switch the narrator each week? You know I love me some George, but the show isn't called "O'Malley's Anatomy," you know? OK, let's talk about the absolute funniest scene: Addison hysterically crying because she has poison oak on her va-jay-jay, and the sound of her crying making Bailey lactate! Classic. I also enjoyed seeing Alex get jealous of Izzie's attraction to Denny, and it was very nice of George to apologize for what he did to Olivia. And how horrible for that woman to leave her fiancι with the aneurysm. That was Mark Harelik (Jack's boss on Will & Grace) as the patient and Ann (sister of John and Joan) Cusack as the fiancιe. I predict GLAAD will be nominating this episode for its positive portrayal of the gay parents (played by Jonathan Slavin and Matt Roth). Would we expect anything less from our favorite show? — Dave Anderson

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
'Anatomy' Star Recalls Dyslexia Struggle

NEW YORK - "Grey's Anatomy" star Patrick Dempsey says his childhood wasn't so McDreamy: He wasn't diagnosed as being dyslexic until he was 12 years old.

"I think it's made me who I am today," says Dempsey, who plays neurosurgeon Dr. Derek Shepherd on the hit ABC series, in an interview on "The Barbara Walters Special" that airs Wednesday night (March 01 - 10 p.m. EST).

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

UNFORGETTA... OUCH!:
Speaking of fake-hospital TV series... Grammy winner Natalie Cole slipped and fell, fracturing her right arm, while taping an episode of ABC's Grey's Anatomy earlier this week, says the New York Daily News. After being fitted for a real-life sling, Cole returned to work like a trouper — only to have George, like, sit there and pine for her like a sad puppy dog.

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts

Grey's Anatomy

The real test to determine whether an actor is doing an effective job is not just how well they act in a scene, but how they react. We had some really great reacting tonight. An obvious one would be Sandra Oh's facial expressions as Cristina was forced to be Bailey's babysitter. How hilarious was she while changing the baby's diaper? Then when she told the baby to "Shut it!", I had to TiVo back and watch it again. But back to the reacting. Patrick Dempsey's face said it all while Meredith was explaining to Derek the horrible thing she did to George. Meredith asked Derek to act like a friend not as her ex and you could tell the struggle he was having just through his face. I love that he told Meredith to apologize to George and to use the elevator. Then T.R. Knight gave my favorite reacting performance as Meredith apologized to George — you could tell just how mortified and hurt he was. And what a perfect way to end the episode, with Derek apologizing to Addison and Kate Walsh reacting exactly the way we'd want her to. Tonight was chock full of impressive guest stars. Natalie Cole was unforgettable, in every way (you knew I had to write that). Actually, she really was good. I never thought I'd see Natalie play a woman with a brain aneurysm and a fork in her neck. I'm sure Veronica Mars fans recognized Teddy Dunn as the hockey player who cut his own finger off (ouch). Then there was the fabulous Anne Moore as the very pregnant woman who's husband, played by Stephen Lee, couldn't stop flirting with Addison (but yet Addison didn't mind the attention). Best guest star was Jeffrey Dean Morgan, back as Denny, the man capturing Izzie's heart, while needing a new heart of his own. — Dave Anderson

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
Grey's Anatomy - Yahoo! TV Sneak Peek
Watch clips from Sunday's new episode of 'Grey's Anatomy.'

http://tv.yahoo.com/...eysanatomy.html

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
TV Land Taps 'Grey's Anatomy' as 'Future Classic'
Show joins ABC mate 'Housewives' in receiving honor

'Grey's Anatomy' stars
Ellen Pompeo, T.R. Knight and Katherine Heigl

LOS ANGELES --
Should TV Land still exist a generation from now, there's a decent chance its viewers will get to wax nostalgic over the lives and loves of those pretty interns at Seattle Grace Hospital.

"Grey's Anatomy," the show about said interns, was designated a "Future Classic" at Sunday's fourth annual TV Land Awards. The show joins its Sunday-night ABC cohort, "Desperate Housewives," which won the honor last year, in receiving the award.

Of course, TV Land being the often-cheeky enterprise it is, "Grey's" got a little ribbing along with its award during Sunday's ceremony. A number of actors from past shows about doctors and nurses -- including Ed Begley Jr., Chad Everett, Diahann Carroll, Loretta Swit and Jane Seymour -- took part in a parody of the show.

Other honorees at Sunday's ceremony included "Cheers," which won the Legend Award, and Sid Caesar, who was presented the Pioneer Award by Billy Crystal. The awards, hosted by "Will & Grace" star Megan Mullally, will air Wednesday on TV Land, with a simulcast on Nick at Nite.

TV Land's Future Classic honor predates the awards show itself. In addition to "Desperate Housewives," past honorees include "Arrested Development," "Scrubs" and "Malcolm in the Middle."

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
Fans feel the love on 'Grey's Anatomy
Cross between 'ER' and 'Friends,' has a huge, loyal audience

By MARIA ELENA FERNANDEZ
Los Angeles Times

Isaiah Washington, Chandra Wilson, Sandra Oh, James Pickens Jr.,
Ellen Pompeo, T.R. Knight, Katherine Heigl, Justin Chambers
and Patrick Dempsey

HOLLYWOOD -
There are TV fans, and then there are "Grey's Anatomy" fans. "Patrick Dempsey, when he nearly kisses Meredith, it's like nearly kissing me," said 37-year-old mother of two Jacki Moore of Burbank. "I've gone to a few of the fan sites and I look for pictures, and I Google his name pretty much every day to see if anything comes up. Oh, I'm telling you, I'm ready to put a poster up on my wall."

"I just feel like I can relate a lot to Meredith and I'm rooting for the underdog, but, oh, I'm a McDreamy fan," said 23-year-old business student Karyn McQueen, referring to Dempsey's character. "I want him and Meredith to be together. You see the way he looks at her. He really does love her."

A bona fide hit in its first season, "Grey's Anatomy" this year has leapt into that rarefied air of pop-culture sensation, joining the ranks of "Lost" and, for a time, "Desperate Housewives." It is beating the "CSI" juggernaut in the coveted 18- to 49-year-old demographic for the entire season, and twice has garnered a larger audience than its Wisteria Lane lead-in when both shows aired original episodes.

From obsessive water-cooler chatter to "Saturday Night Live" spoofs, the fictional surgical ward of Seattle Grace Hospital has quickly seeped into the American consciousness, particularly for women.

With "Sex and the City" available only in syndication and "Desperate Housewives" losing its glow, women are finding a replacement in "Grey's," a show with several strong female roles focusing largely on the travails of its title character, Meredith Grey. And while the show's repressed love affair may have women swooning, they're also responding to the evolving friendships between the five interns and the doctors on staff.

"Grey's" plays like a cross between the drama of "ER" and the camaraderie of "Friends," with some spicy female empowerment a la "Sex and the City" in the center. Fans can't get enough of interns Meredith (Ellen Pompeo), Izzie (Katherine Heigl), Cristina (Sandra Oh), George (T.R. Knight), Alex (Justin Chambers), surgical resident Bailey (Chandra Wilson) or Dr. Burke (Isaiah Washington). And then there's Derek Shepherd, Meredith's love interest. Dubbed McDreamy by the female interns, Dempsey has soared in this role to stratospheric highs on the heat meter since the pilot.

"What I find interesting is that there are some people out there who take the show very seriously," said creator Shonda Rhimes. "But then I think about how strongly I felt about "Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and how emotional I was about what happened to those characters. So going from being a fan to somebody who has her own show, I definitely respect it. You come into people's homes in a very personal way on a weekly basis. They get involved. But the general success of the show, that sort of loyalty and rage over why did you let Meredith and George sleep together, it's fantastic but it's not something I necessarily expected."

Averaging 20 million viewers, "Grey's" is the fifth-ranked show in all of prime-time television and the fourth-most upscale program (with viewers who earn $100,000 or more), according to Nielsen Median Research. Its audience is 67 percent female, 11 percent black and 6 percent Hispanic. (Nielsen does not provide other ethnic breakdowns.) Even more precious to advertisers is that 11 million of those viewers - 58 percent of the audience - is in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic, the group they like to sell to the most.

"I like the emotional draw of it," said Andy Yardley, 31, who works for a biotech firm in San Francisco and, in a major break from the typical fan mold, says she is drawn to the female characters more than to Dempsey's. "I cry almost every episode, and I laugh almost every episode. So it feels very cathartic. Every Sunday, to be getting ready for the rest of the week, to have this last big moment, it's great."

Even when ABC preempts the show for other programming, such as the Academy Awards, the fans know where to go for their fix. Nicole Scheff, 30, of Baltimore says she spends her entire workday on the message boards.

Moore, who re-watches episodes on her TiVo late into the night, says her husband thinks she's crazy. "But he's fine with it, because I told him, "Honey, you're starting to look like Dr. McDreamy.'"

But neither the blogs nor her daily morning fill of "Grey's" podcasts is enough for McQueen and her sister. So how'd they get by without learning for one more week whether George would forgive Meredith for having impulsive sex with him and then weeping over her mistake? They watched that episode again. "I was just so grossed out. George and Meredith have a brother-sister relationship," McQueen said. "He knows how she feels about Derek, and he shouldn't be upset about it."

If it sounds like viewers are taking the story lines personally, consider this from an ABC message board: "What was Shonda thinking?" glared the subject header, after the big sex scene aired, as if the viewer personally knew the woman who runs the show. Thing is, in a way, this audience does. The show's writers have a blog, www.greyswriters.com, where they communicate weekly with fans about the episode that aired.

"The Web allows people to know our names and what we look like," Rhimes said. "As a writer, you don't expect to be recognizable to anybody. And it's certainly not your goal. But I spent so much time wishing to have the show, and wishing that it would be a success, that I certainly can't complain about anything that happens after that."

Rhimes was looking to fill the programming void that she felt when "Sex and the City" and "Friends" went off the air. In particular, she wanted to be in charge of a show that she could watch with her sisters and gab about, but that men could also enjoy.

Although two-thirds of the audience is female, men, as evidenced by the message boards and blogs, have discovered it as well. It's just a little hard to get them to admit it, which Rhimes understands, because even ABC executives saw it initially as a "chick show."

Moore's 40-year-old husband, whom she describes as an "all-around jock guy," demands that she not watch it without him, "even though he pretends like he's not a fan." McQueen's 53-year-old father is a die-hard, as is her fortysomething attorney boss. "We're supposed to be a very professional corporate law firm, but every Monday morning he asks me, "Did you watch?'" McQueen said. "For sure, there are a lot of grown men who are professionals watching this."

Executive Producer Mark Gordon believes there are a lot of closeted male fans. "You wouldn't expect the Sunday night football-watching crowd to like this show, but I can't tell you how many people have said, "My wife was always saying you gotta watch this show and now I'm hooked.'"

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts

Grey's Anatomy

Memo to the "blue-ribbon panel" that ends up choosing the Emmy nominations for guest actress in a drama series — you need to nominate Monica Keena, plain and simple. Tonight's edge-of-your-seat repeat reminded me how phenomenal the former Dawson's Creek actress was as the woman with the metal pole stuck through her body and also protruding through the body of a man she didn't even know after the train they were riding crashed. Definitely one of my favorite episodes. Bruce A. Young played the man and he was also fantastic. This was the one where we learned what a banana bag IV is (the device used to sober Meredith up). I remember noticing how Meredith related to Monica's character, Bonnie, at the end, since Derek chose the salmon-scrubbed Addison ("She's my wife") over Meredith. "What about her? You can't just abandon her!" Funny to go back and see George still pining away for Meredith and her not noticing it, especially after he said to her (referring to McDreamy): "For what it's worth, I think he's crazy if he doesn't pick you." And this was back when Kate Walsh was just a special guest star and Meredith's friends gave Addison dirty looks. Next week, a new episode — can't wait. Oh, and ABC, now that more people are watching Grey's Anatomy than Desperate Housewives, no need to start Grey's a minute late. Ya got that? Thanks. — Dave Anderson

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,872 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATECOOLER

Grey's Anatomy

I am officially old. Mare Winningham is playing a soon-to-be grandmother! OK — got that out of the way. What an awesome episode. So Meredith found out she has two stepsisters and a stepmother and Winningham did a fantastic job as the step-mom. I've already praised Jeff Perry as Meredith's dad Thatcher and what an incredible scene that was with George describing Meredith to Thatcher while Meredith listened in. I loved that gentle "Thank you, George" from Meredith. Present and (in my case) past Chicago theatre patrons got a big kick out of the fact that we got to see two members of the famous Steppenwolf Theatre Company — first Perry and then the phenomenal Laurie Metcalf. That scene with Metcalf as the dying mother giving her daughter all of that motherly advice had me crying like a baby and picturing Metcalf's name in the Outstanding Guest Actress category at this year's Emmys. If it weren't for Alex, the daughter would probably miss out on getting that advice in time. Nice to see Bailey back in surgical action — loved her crying with the spelling bee champion patient and then blaming it on her hormones. Dr. Webber as Cristina's new competitive rival in class cracked me up and it was also good to see Izzie and Denny getting along so well ("just show me a boob"). Three great closing scene items: Cristina walking around naked just so Burke would throw out George; George discovering that Callie has a secret room at the hospital and a talent for cutting hair; and what an effective way to introduce Chris O'Donnell to the show, as Doc the dog's vet and (after next week's repeat), Meredith's reason to give up knitting. — Dave Anderson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users