Sign in to follow this  
Jem

Patrick Dempsey as Derek Shepherd

Diagnosis: Cutie: Patrick Dempsey discovers the perks of playing Dr. McDreamy

By Sarah Rodman

ellen_pompeo3.jpg

Presenters Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo

57th Annual Emmy Awards Press Room - 9/18/2005

Patrick Dempsey was just as surprised as fans of ABC's "Grey's Anatomy'' to discover in the first season finale that his character, Dr. Derek Shepherd, also known as Dr. McDreamy, is married. "I didn't know until I read it,'' Dempsey said of the cliffhanger that had everyone buzzing about the medical drama. And I was like, 'Who's that? Oh no!' And the biggest thing over the summer was everybody hating me because it wasn't originally the cliffhanger. There were several other shows (set to air).''

But when "Grey's Anatomy'' came charging out of the gate in midseason, airing right after the red-hot "Desperate Housewives,'' ABC thought a little mystery was in order, and it worked: The ratings for the first two episodes of the new of have helped ABC lock in Sunday night. "People literally were coming up to me saying, 'You (expletive), how could you do that to Meredith?' '' said Dempsey, laughing. "I was riding this high of 'Oh, I'm Dr. McDreamy, everything's cool,' and all of a sudden now I'm the (expletive). Fame is fleeting, so there you go.''

Dempsey is pragmatic about his newfound heartthrob status because he's already ridden the ``It boy'' merry-go-round before. As a young actor in the '80s, Dempsey cornered the market on geeky but lovable teens in such films as "Can't Buy Me Love'' and "Loverboy.''

The 39-year-old worked steadily in film ("Sweet Home Alabama,'' "Outbreak'') and television ("J.F.K.: Reckless Youth,'' "Will & Grace'') and was nominated for an Emmy for his graceful portrayal of Sela Ward's mentally ill brother on the critically acclaimed drama "Once and Again'' in 2001. But it was scrubbing up as Shepherd on "Grey's'' that really put the shine back on his star. "It's all quite funny really,'' said Dempsey of the barrage of female attention. "As long as my wife and daughter love me, everything's great, everything after that is a bit excessive.''

As the second season unfolds, Dempsey expects more drama to unfold as Derek tries to woo intern Meredith Grey (Everett native Ellen Pompeo) back into his McDreamy arms while simultaneously resisting the advances of his estranged wife, fellow M.D. Addison Shepherd (Kate Walsh). Oh, and he'll be saving lives at Seattle Grace Hospital.

It's that combination of soap suds and scalpels that Dempsey believes made the show instant appointment television. "I think there's a nice combination between the drama and the comedy, and the editing is really quick and the music is fun,'' he said. ``I love the multiple story lines, and I think the show works because of everybody involved in it. If you take any one element away, it all falls apart.''

Patrick Dempsey as Derek Shepherd

Source

greys_ockenfels.jpg

Although perhaps best known as the unlikely heartthrob of such classic '80s nostalgia films such as Can't Buy Me Love and Loverboy, Patrick Dempsey has grown into a mature actor and a talent that Hollywood will continue to recognize.

In 2001 Dempsey nabbed an Emmy nomination as Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of Aaron Brooks, Sela Ward's psychologically unbalanced brother, in the critically lauded Once & Again.

In 2004 he co-starred in the highly-acclaimed HBO production, Iron Jawed Angels, opposite Hilary Swank and Anjelica Huston. Other credits include Disney's Sweet Home Alabama, opposite Reese Witherspoon, as well as Scream 3, With Honors, Outbreak, Hugo Pool, The Treat, The Palace Thief, Heaven Help Us, Happy Together, Some Girls, Coupe De Ville, Run, Mobsters and In the Mood.

In 2003 Dempsey made a memorable guest appearance on NBC's hit show, Will & Grace, as Will's love interest. Additionally he starred in the NBC movie based on Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, opposite Ben Kingsley, and appeared in the television miniseries 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with Michael Caine. He also co-starred with Oliver Reed in the biblical epic, Jeremiah. Other television movies and miniseries include JFK: Reckless Youth, A Season in Purgatory, Blood Knot, The Right to Remain Silent, Shallow Grave and Blonde.

Dempsey was born and raised in Lewiston, Maine. He first appeared on stage as David in the San Francisco production of Torch Song Trilogy. Other early stage work includes On Golden Pond for the Maine Acting Company, the international touring production of Brighton Beach Memoirs, which was directed by Gene Saks, and The Subject Was Roses at the Roundabout Theatre in New York. He recently took the stage again in The Pasadena Playhouse run of The Importance of Being Earnest, as Algernon Moncrieff.

In addition to acting, Dempsey is an avid racing enthusiast and has participated in the Panoz Series and the Pro Miata series. He currently lives in Los Angeles, California, with his wife, Jillian, and their daughter, Talula.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001131/

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

'Grey's' Star Dempsey Expecting a Child

This will be the actor's second child

September 14 2006

25383266.jpg

Jillian Fink and Patrick DempseySoon, there'll be another McDreamy in the world.

"Grey's Anatomy" star Patrick Dempsey and his wife Jillian Fink are expecting a baby, reports People.

It will be the second child for the couple, who are also the parents of daughter Tallulah Fyfe, 4.

Fink, who owns a cosmetics line, and Dempsey, 40, met when the "Can't Buy Me Love" actor walked into her salon for a haircut in 1994. They got married in 1999.

Dempsey was first married to acting coach Rochelle "Rocky" Parker when he was 21 and she was 48. He then became the stepfather to actor Corey Parker (who is one year older than Dempsey) and actress Noelle Parker. That marriage ended after seven years.

"Grey's Anatomy" debuts its third season on ABC on Thursday, Sept. 21.