Dixie Chicks

salter-path

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving on . . . now for the musical portion of our thread.

VH1 "Storytellers: Dixie Chicks"

dixie_chicks3.jpg

VH1 "Storytellers: Dixie Chicks"

Sunday, October 29

1:30 p.m. ET/PT

Wednesday, November 1

3:00 p.m. ET/PT

shutup_sing.jpg

"Shut Up & Sing"

Now showing in select theaters in New York City and Los Angeles

Opening Nationwide on November 10 Everywhere

The movie from two time Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker Barbara Kopple and Cecelia Peck that chronicles the lives of the Dixie Chicks from 2003 to the start of their "2006 Accusations & Accidents Tour." The documentary, "Shut Up & Sing," will open October 27 in New York City and Los Angeles and will open in additional cities beginning November 10.

All the highs, lows and mayhem that occurred just before and for the three years following "the incident" are all here. The personal attacks, personal growth, a changing world, making music, having babies, receiving death threats, and even a fair amount of laughter.

dixie_chicks4.jpg

dc_tour_350.jpg

~ 2006 World Tour ~

Accidents & Accusations Tour Dates

November

November 2

Credit Union Centre ~ Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

November 4

Rexall Place ~ Edmonton, Alberta

November 5

Saddledome ~ Calgary, Alberta

November 6

Saddledome ~ Calgary, Alberta

November 8

GM Place ~ Vancouver, British Columbia

November 9

Rose Garden ~ Portland, Oregon

November 11

Tacoma Dome ~ Tacoma, Washington

November 14

Arco Arena ~ Sacramento, California

November 16

Savmart Center ~ Fresno, California

November 17

Oakland Arena ~ Oakland, California

November 19

Glendale Arena ~ Glendale, Arizona

November 24

Staples Center ~ Los Angeles, California

November 25

MGM Grand ~ Las Vegas, Nevada

November 27

Pepsi Center ~ Denver, Colorado

November 28

Qwest Center ~ Omaha, Nebraska

December

December 1

Gaylord Entertainment Center ~ Nashville, Tennessee

December 2

Philips Arena ~ Atlanta, Georgia

December 4

Frank Erwin Center ~ Austin, Texas

December 5

American Airlines Center ~ Dallas, Texas

dc_longway.jpg

I watched the VH1 program last nite, and what really got to me about the whole thing was when they sang ' Silent House'. They said it was about Alzheimer's disease, and how their grandparents had the disease and how it affected them was why they wrote the song. Then they sang it. I hadn't heard it until then, and by the time it was over, I was in tears, and quickly went online to buy that song. You see, my mother suffers from this and that song's words hit me like a truck.

I think these three women have been thru enough, and they are an astounding presence in the music industry. They deserve better than what some people have decided they do. Just as I have the right to say what I have in this post, they had the right to say how they felt about the situation three years ago. And yes, it is the same when Jay Leno makes jokes about the current president. Its called Freedom of Speech, and last I knew, it wasn't banned.

peppertrail, I am so sorry to hear about your mother and I so hope the lyrics of the song does a little to restore your spirit. Alzheimer's has touched my own life but more closely to my dearest friend in the world with her late mother so I understand the frustration of this dreadful and most often cruel disease.

Your post is quite eloquent and I couldn't agree more. However, even if I didn't, I would still support your right to say it. I guess the great thing about the debate in this thread is that we're all exercising that right to some degree and I applaud it. I just wish my words were as insightful as yours. Your post touched me and I will keep you and your mother in my thoughts.

I watched Storytellers. I too can relate to Silent House. I started crying when Natalie couldnt talk about it and asked Marty to.

And I have heard them sing NRTMN many times on various shows. I think it was the best on storytellers. So powerful

• 3 weeks later...

charlie_rose_pix170x150.jpg

charlie_rose_logo170x78.jpg

(Topics are subject to last minute change. Guests are announced on a daily basis.)

Charlie Rose

Monday, November 20

A Discussion

with

Brian Williams

Anchor and Managing Editor, "NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams"

Plus

A Conversation with The Dixie Chicks

with

Natalie Maines

Martie Maguire

Emily Robison

The Dixie Chicks

Documentary, "Shut Up and Sing"

squprplx.gifsqubluex.gifsquprplx.gif

(guests may be subject to last minute changes)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Again, statements like these just sadden me especially this time of year. It's one thing to dislike someone but to wish bodily harm is extreme in my opinion. I support their freedom of speech as much as I support yours, distasteful as it reads. I love their music, their passion and yes, now, their politics. Am I the only living liberal left? I wear my old fashioned ways with pride.

I may have a strong opinion about a lot of people on the far right but I would never wish them harm or ill will . . . but that's just me. My hope is they would live long and happy lives in hopes of entering into a lively debate and a change of heart.

I listen to my Dixie Chicks CDs together with old devoted fans as well as welcome their new audience brought on by the brouhaha over nothing but what I still hope is a basic right preserved by our laws and constitution for everyone's freedom of speech.

I'm weighing in very late on this one, but here goes...

I don't like their music, but I have huge respect for the fact that they stood up for what they believed in. If everyone remembers, they stood up before we knew about the pack of lies we were handed, so they were flying in the face of public opinion, and took a huge hit for it.

Of course, a lot of what they said has turned out true. Whether it was or wasn't, they are entitled to their opinion, and I tip my hat to them for having the guts to express it.

Kudos!

PS - Saw a bumper sticker today...it said 'When Clinton lied nobody died.' Five words that sum some of this up nicely.

If the snide big mouth had kept her mouth shut, their careers wouldn't suck. Any "awards" they get are merely just the liberal music industry awarding liberalness over talent. Same thing as the Oscars. I'll start watching the Oscars when they add a category "Best Movie People Actually Watch" nominees last year would be Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Narnia.

"If the snide big mouth had kept her mouth shut, their careers wouldn't suck. Any "awards" they get are merely just the liberal music industry awarding liberalness over talent. Same thing as the Oscars. I'll start watching the Oscars when they add a category "Best Movie People Actually Watch" nominees last year would be Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Narnia."

THUNDERING APPLAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!

I like all kinds of music - country, R&B, R&R, Jazz, Classical. And yes, I like the Dixie Chicks' music.

I don't think the Dixie Chicks were alone when they voiced their displeasure about the gathering of military troops and subsequent invasion. Their songs reflected how they felt about the fallout from their statement. The song "Not Ready to Make Nice" sums it up pretty well. They are gutsy American girls who like to think for themselves, even if it is not the popular concensus.

If the snide big mouth had kept her mouth shut, their careers wouldn't suck. Any "awards" they get are merely just the liberal music industry awarding liberalness over talent

And them being excluded from the conservative CMAs is what? Are you saying that when they won 8 CMA's they were not tallented? So were they awarded for being quiet about their political views? And were they awarded 9 Grammy's before the incident for their "Liberalness"?

There has been SO much written about what Natalie said on stage and so many misunderstandings no matter how many times, it appears in this forum or other publications. So, once again, here are the 15 words that Natalie Maines joked about on stage before their concert began:

"Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."

Second, in her own words, is what Natalie Maines had to say during an interview on "Larry King Live," on what led her to say anything onstage in London:

"No, we don't talk about what we're going to say on stage. I didn't know -- I think maybe in the back of my head I knew I was going to have to say something about the fact that we were going to war the next day, which it wound up being a few days later, but it was supposed to be the next day. And, you know, we talked about it all day long. And you see that in the documentary."

"It weighed heavy on us. And we felt silly doing a show when there were so many serious things going on in the world. But we also know our job is to entertain and all those people had bought tickets and they wanted to see the Dixie Chicks. So it was sort of, you know, feeling that pressure or -- not pressure, but feeling like we needed to show that we're not oblivious to what's going on in the world, but also not get too heavy and we don't like to get preachy from stage. So I made light of it as well."

Even Bush, himself, defended their right to speak their mind. In an interview with Tom Brokaw on April 24, President Bush responded to the controversy surrounding the Dixie Chicks:

"The Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say . . . They shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people don't want to buy their records when they speak out."

"Freedom is a two-way street . . . I . . . don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America. It stands in stark contrast to Iraq . . ."

After the concert, The Dixie Chicks released a statement as a group:

"We've been overseas for several weeks and the anti-American sentiment that has unfolded here is astounding. While we support our troops, there is nothing more frightening than the notion of going to war with Iraq and the prospect of all the innocent lives that will be lost."

In a separate statement, Maines said:

"I feel the president is ignoring the opinion of many in the U.S. and alienating the rest of the world. My comments were made in frustration, and one of the privileges of being an American is you are free to voice your own point of view."

Before that statement and since, comedians on a much more visible and vocal stage have said exactly the same thing and ten times worse, so why these three women have become the scapegoats for anti-patriotism is beyond me. They support the troops, and in fact, have sung for the troops on American AND Foreign soil so there should be no debate to their loyalty.

That leaves their music. If you love their music, crank up the CD or MP3 and have yourself a hoedown. If you didn't like their music before, I doubt you'll like them now so listen to your favorite choice of music and enjoy!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can separate my musical tastes from the political views of my favorite singers. By separating the two, I find my CD collection much more eclectic and varied in my musical choices.

Archived