Battlestar Galactica

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

Sackhoff Spills Upcoming 'Battlestar' Secrets

Actress says Starbuck finds new love but loses some hair

By Hanh Nguyen

April 17 2006

22984686.jpg

Katee Sackhoff on 'Battlestar Galactica'

VANCOUVER -- Oh Frak. Starbuck doesn't have the best luck, but in the upcoming season of "Battlestar Galactica," it's about to get much worse.

Actress Katee Sackhoff sat down with reporters on the Vancouver set of her latest film "White Noise 2" and revealed what's in store for her "BSG" character, Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace.

"Yeah, I can definitely tell you some stuff," says the upbeat blonde. "I just lost a huge battle with the producers as far as my hair as far as length, what it should and should not be. So it's gonna be gone, like shorter than it was in the miniseries."

By shorter, does she mean Natalie Portman-"V for Vendetta"-buzzed head short?

"Uh, kind of like that. Yeah," confirms Sackhoff. "She goes through a lot of turmoil in the first four episodes, mores than we've ever seen her [go through]. But the depths of despair she finds herself in are pretty deep at the end of Episode Four and she kind of reestablishes her commitment to the military in Episode Five, which is the haircut."

Starbuck is arguably the Galactica's best Viper pilot and has a tough attitude to match. She hasn't always had the proper respect for authority though, epitomized by the time she was sent to the brig for what she describes as "striking a superior a**hole."

Starbuck's private life isn't any prettier either, a sore spot for the actress, judging by her rant on her character's fickleness.

"And then Starbuck finds another man," says Sackhoff. "Like, what is that? I called [the show] a soap opera in an interview. They're mad at me. It is a soap opera; she's sleeping with every goddamn guy on the show. Is that not a soap opera? I'm sorry. And she loves every one of them. I mean, like, obviously it's a soap opera.

"So there is another man that comes into her life, and it is a very unlikely man, and that everyone is going to be so livid over," she continues, and then adds with a laugh, "Okay, fine, you broke me. It's Adama."

While Sackhoff keeps the identity of this new love interest (could it be a Cylon this time?) a mystery, we're wondering what happened to Samuel T. Anders (Michael Trucco), whom Starbuck was married to in the show's second season finale. The last time we saw him, he was suffering from a nasty case of pneumonia, which isn't really grounds for divorce. Anders could die, which would explain Starbuck's depression, but it wouldn't be from his illness, since spoilers online claim that he'll survive long enough to take part in resisting the Cylon occupation of New Caprica.

Like Starbuck, Sackhoff has learned to weather criticism, especially from fans of the original "Battlestar Galactica" series in which Lt. Starbuck was male.

"There are definitely still are the people out there who are purists and they don't want anything to do with Starbuck being a female, and that's fine," she says. "They may have the same name and the same habits, but for the most part it's not even the same character. So, they still talk crap about me and that's fine. I'm developing a very thick skin."

The actress is grateful for how well the show is doing on the Sci Fi channel, where it regularly draws 3 million or more viewers.

"The network is so great as far as the topics that we discuss. We've pushed the envelope many times," she says. "I think that were we on NBC, we wouldn't get away with things like that. There was talk on one point of putting us on NBC. I think everybody on the cast was like, 'No. We'd be canceled after a week. There's no way.' We wouldn't get the ratings, and we all know that. So we're happy being on Sci Fi right now."

And so are the critics. "Battlestar Galactica," along with four other prime-time entertainment series, was recently named a Peabody Award winner for its "parallax considerations of politics, religion, sex, even what it means to be 'human.'"

"It's such an amazing honor. You know, we're right in there with 'South Park,'" says Sackhoff. "Everybody's really excited ... I was shocked but I wasn't, you know? Pleasantly surprised that 'Battlestar's' finally getting the recognition it deserves."

Production on the "BSG's" third season began on April 10, overlapping with Sackhoff's "White Noise 2" shooting schedule, and will continue through December. "Occupation," the season premiere, will air in October.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, AUSIELLO REPORT

Galactica Exec Spills Season 3 Secrets!

I don't know about you guys, but there's no more torturous time of year than the months between Battlestar Galactica seasons. This latest break has been particularly agonizing, due in large part to the sheer length of it. When Season 3 launches in October, we will have endured a six-month Cylon drought. Talk about cruel and frakkin' unusual punishment. Luckily, I've discovered the perfect cure for our separation anxiety: a major dose of scoop courtesy of David Eick! Here's my long-promised Q&A with the Battlestar exec, featuring exclusive prattle on this season's big death, the new mystery man from Adama's past and Apollo's new (and not-so-improved) physique.

Ausiello: We need some scoop to tide us over until October.

David Eick: It's always a tightrope walk, isn't it? I'm trying to think in terms of what is adequately titillating without blowing our wad or giving away too much. I can tell you that the character of Lee is going to be battling an emotional crisis that's manifesting itself in a change in his physique, which is something I think many Americans, unfortunately, can relate to. I'm certainly one of them.

Ausiello: You mean he's going to gain more weight?

Eick: He had put on some weight at the end of last season, and I think we're going to see that idea maintained, and we're going to see what the character does about it.

Ausiello: Is he going to get bigger?

Eick: (Laughs) No.

Ausiello: OK, 'cause that might cause some fans to riot.

Eick: I know. Also, the big surprise is the fact that a very central character will no longer be with us by the end of the third episode.

Ausiello: Was this a creative decision or did this actor or actress ask to leave?

Eick: It's always motivated [by story]

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK AUSIELLO

Question: Any scoop on the Battlestar Galactica's Season 3 premiere date?

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Battlestar Enters Year 3 with Recap Special

As Sci Fi Channel's Battlestar Galactica ramps up to the October debut of Season 3, a one-hour special titled Battlestar Galactica: The Story So Far, which recaps the past two years, will begin airing Aug. 13 on NBC's West Coast satellite feed. Broadcasts on USA Network, Universal HD, Sleuth, Bravo, SciFi.com's Pulse broadband network and, on Oct. 6, Sci Fi proper.

Posted by Matt Mitovich 08/10/2006 10:19 AM

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Frak Attack: Battlestar Season 3 Preview!

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Battlestar Galactica

BSG has da buzz. After years wooing and wowing its built-in and dedicated fan base, Sci Fi Channel's Battlestar Galactica is roaring into Season 3 (premiering tonight, Oct. 6, from 9 to 11 pm/ET) with more press and unprecedented promotion than ever. For those who have yet to sample the show (which is based on themes and characters introduced in the '70s series of the same name), be well advised that this isn't your daddy's Battlestar. And even those who are diehards may be taken a bit aback by the grim fate foisted upon their favorites as the new season begins.

Last we tuned in, New Caprica, once thought to be an oasis for the Galactica's forever-nomadic troops, had quickly and fiercely turned into a prison camp of sorts, lorded over by (surprise) the Cylons and their puppet in chief, Baltar. As insurgent humans plot and plan and go to desperate lengths to rebel against the 'bots, the futuristic scene takes on a strangely familiar and contemporary tone.

Reflecting on his Battlestar's origins as a miniseries, executive producer David Eick says that that first foray's mission was to educate those familiar with the original series about how things would be decidedly different. "We had to establish not just what [the new Battlestar] was, but what it wasn't," he says.

After getting picked up as a series, Eick says the first year was about "investigating the foibles and dark side and really, I think, the Achilles' heel of humanity, more than, 'How are we going to outrun the Cylons?' We got into the depths of the so-called 'good guys' who really aren't so good, who aren't mouthpieces of morality by any stretch. That was a bold statement for this genre."

Season 2, which concluded with the settlement on New Caprica

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Battlestar Galactica

by Angel Cohn

October 6, 2006: "How Many Times Do I Have to Shoot You, Anyway?"

I hate to start off my post with the profanity of the future, but holy frak, I missed Battlestar so much! My head is spinning after watching this episode. There's so much to take in from this huge, two-hour episode, and the cliff-hanger ending has left me completely breathless. Wow!

I'm really glad that I watched the webisodes first because they filled in some of the blanks, at least

There's part of me that hopes that it is Sam and Sharon who are trying to destroy the Cylons, but they seem to have their hands full with Cylons in another location. I'm so nervous for Roslin and even Zarek.

(Possible Spoiler Below)

The preview showed Roslin in one of the scenes, so it looks like she somehow escapes the massacre.

Battlestar Galactica

by Angel Cohn

October 13, 2006: "Don't Make Me Cry on My Own Airdeck"

These cliff-hanger endings might be the death of me. All that discussion and planning, only to leave the episode with Galactica on the verge of saving the entire human race. I was all sniffly when Adama told Apollo, "Don't make me cry on my own airdeck." I'm more addicted than ever, and that's saying a lot.

So here's my weird theory of the night. I don't think that Casey is actually Starbuck and Leoben's kid. It is possible that she was created with the ovary that they removed from Starbuck, but I just don't buy that she's a joint venture. I got to pondering this because D'Anna seems gung ho to find Hera. If there were other Cylon/human babies out there, Hera wouldn't be such a big deal. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Number 6 tell Gaius a while back that the Cylons hadn't been successful in producing offspring and that was why Good Sharon (she proved herself trustworthy tonight by shooting D'Anna in the kneecaps so she's good for now) and Helo's kid would be so special? If this thought is true, that's just wrong since it seems like Kara is getting really attached.

I was more than a little excited that Anders caught right on to Ellen's betrayal. I know that she was doing it to save Saul, but why, since Saul was already out of jail, was she granting sexual favors to a Brother Cavil? With her indiscretions and his violent tendencies, he really had no idea how accurate his comment was, "The last thing your son wants is me and Ellen for parents."

Last week's cliff-hanger had me biting my nails wondering the fate of Callie, though I was only mildly worried for Roslin

Battlestar Galactica

by Angel Cohn

October 20, 2006: A Close Shave

In an episode full of gritty and very realistic battle scenes with a lot of casualties, the thing I had the hardest time watching was Kara and Leoben's kiss. Sure, I had seen Starbuck snag that knife from Anders and knew she'd kill him (though in front of the kid surprised me), but watching him force her to say she loved him and then kiss him was so genuinely uncomfortable it gave me chills. And when Kara encountered Casey's real mother, it was positively heartbreaking. I'm so used to thinking of Starbuck as this badass who is amazing in battle, but to see her softer side is touching. She seemed so disappointed that the child wasn't hers. I just knew that the child couldn't be a Cylon/human hybrid

Battlestar Galactica

by Angel Cohn

October 27, 2006: The Circle of Death

Oh. My. Gods. Those were the words that came out of my mouth as I saw the little two second preview (in the opening credits

I was skeptical at first when they were going to do a remake of Battlestar,however once I saw the mini-series I was hooked and have watched it since.Great show love it :)

Hubby asked me to get copies of this for him. Not sure if I want to watch it... I really have no choice cause he has to use my DVD player and TV. The only place where we can watch these 'files' unless he uses his PC... is it worth me using 3 days to watch it all? :unsure:

Ok, so I watched season 1 and I'm hooked. The only trouble I have is that I'm dreaming (I wouldn't call them nightmares, but it's on the verge of it :lol: ) about cylons. I've yet to watch season 2 and I have all of season three that has aired so far to catch up on. <_<

So far so good.

Yeah the show really reels you in and leaves you guessing.The cylons are a mystery to me at times I have so many questions of my own about them.but youll be caught up in no time. The new season is off to a good start :)

Battlestar Galactica

by Angel Cohn

November 3, 2006: Divided We Fall

I am so glad that Adama went down to the pilot's rec room and put his foot down. I thought for sure that the internal struggle, between the humans on New Caprica during the occupation and those who had stayed aboard with the flight crew, was going to go on much longer. But Adama's no-nonsense speech to both Starbuck and Tigh, who had been poisoning the crew, was incredible. "One of you, I don't care who. Pick that weapon up and shoot me.... I didn't say to talk. You've done enough of that already.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TODAYS NEWS: OUR TAKE

Calista vs Cylons? Galactica Sets Course for Sunday

For the first time ever, Sci Fi Channel will air original programming on Sunday night, when it relocates Battlestar Galactica from its long-held Friday perch, starting Jan. 21, at 10 pm/ET. Trying to rationalize the move, which will pit Adama, Baltar et al, against CBS' dominating Without a Trace and ABC's surging Brothers & Sisters, Sci Fi VP of programming Mark Stern tells Variety that Friday "is not the easy layup it once was," and that Sunday will be less competitive once football season is over. BSG's lead-in, when it makes its Sunday debut, will be the new detective drama The Dresden Files.

Posted by Matt Mitovich 11/21/06 9:57 AM

Hmmm It will be a tad weird to not see BattleStar on the usual Friday night line up but no worries I'm sure it will do well it has a loyal fanbase No one thought Charmed would fair well when it moved to Sundays and it had a great run until it ended so I'll remain absurdly optimistic! :)

You're welcome.

I really need to sit down and watch season 2, I just can't seem to find the time. If I skip the intro with the music I don't have weird dreams. I snuck a peek at some season 3 when they were shown.

Maybe I'll do it tomorrow. :animated_scratchchin: