Sign in to follow this  
Jem

Battlestar Galactica

ok I got this from the space web site.

What are you doing with my beloved Battlestar Galactica!?!

The Miniseries will be back in October:

Part 1: Saturday, October 8 th, 2005 at 9pm EST

Part 2: Sunday, October 9 th, 2005 at 9pm EST

Battlestar Galactica (Season One) has its first SPACE Encore Presentation starting on Saturday, October 15 th, 2005 at 8pm EST

Battlestar Galactica (SEASON TWO) has its Canadian Television Premiere exclusively on SPACE starting on Saturday, January 14th, 2006 at 8pm EST

no all we have to do is wait...groans

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Battlestar Galactica

It sucks to see a fight between Helo and the chief when we like them both, doesn't it? Just as it sucks to see poor Dee get zapped by the ship's virus-infected computer, since I know the feeling well: Last time I swapped out the hard drive in my PC, it nearly killed me, too. And watching Starbuck and Apollo nearly die from lack of oxygen in the shooting range? Been there, too, running uphill at 13,000 feet and wondering what those wriggling little fish were at at the edges of my tunnel vision right before I came thisclose to going out. (Yeah, yeah

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Battlestar Galactica

OK, want to know the difference between this show and other, more typical, sci-fi fare? It's the little, human moments. Like when Galactica makes contact with the Pegasus after all this time of thinking they were the only Battlestar left. There's real emotional resonance amongst the dry protocol, and that's the type of thing Galactica does best. "It's like a dream," Apollo says. "It is a dream," his father answers. And played like a good one, particularly during the emotional first meeting between the crews of the two ships, before it rapidly goes bad. Michelle Forbes's Adm. Cain outranks Adama, giving her control of the whole fleet, and the crew of the Pegasus waste no time in alienating their Galactica counterparts, all the way to Cain transferring Apollo and Starbuck to her ship.

But on to the disturbing parts: the nearly catatonic Number Six copy being held on the Pegasus, and the awful and disturbing near-rape scene where the chief kills the Pegasus interrogator. A nice counterpoint: Baltar's speech to the abused Number Six copy. And the moment when Adama hears Cain's going to execute the chief and Helo, decides he's had enough and launches ships toward the Pegasus. "Admiral, this will spiral out of control fast," her XO tells her as she launches her own, just as... oh, you're kidding me. This episode was moving so fast I didn't even realize it's been an hour, and I ran smack into the cliffhanger. Another good season, folks. I'll sure as frack be here for the next round. (Oh, man, I'm due for a serious wedgie for being that geeky. And rightly so, really.) — MP

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Matt

Question: I am a member of several online fan groups of Battlestar Galactica, and there is a huge debate about the new series versus the old: 1) The new series (TNS) is tagged "the best show on TV," but doesn't have the ratings (average of 2.0 share) that the old series had. 2) That TNS doesn't deserve to be considered in the top of all sci-fi shows. The Boston Globe has ranked it second only to Star Trek in the Top 50. The original series (TOS) was ranked 35th because NBC Universal influenced the list. 3) That the reimagining of Battlestar has driven away the fan base compared to the original series because TOS had 29-65 million viewers and TNS only has 2 million plus it's because of the reimagining, not because there are a lot more choices now in 2005 than in 1978 when cable TV was still in its infancy. So what is your opinion of TNS and where would you rank it among the genre's elite shows compared to the old show, and has TV Guide ever ranked sci-fi shows specifically?

Matt Roush: I'm not going to try to wade through these numbers and compare ratings from the late '70s to a niche cable network in the 2000s. Besides, when it comes to comparing the two, the only criteria that matter to me are qualitative ones, and in that regard, the new darker, richer, emotionally and thematically deeper (not to mention better written and acted) Galactica beats the corny pants off the original version. Obviously, I was never part of the original "fan base," and I couldn't have been more surprised by how quickly and totally I became addicted to Sci Fi's remake/reimagining. Another thing to keep in mind: The original series was a broad-based, mass-appeal entertainment, which skewed heavily toward kids as it went on, but the new Galactica is a very adult (at times punishingly so) series, and obviously isn't for all tastes. Which, to me, makes it tastier. As for TV Guide's rankings, we've never (to my knowledge) published a ranking of best sci-fi shows per se, but a while back we did publish a list of 25 sci-fi legends, and the original Starbuck ranked 21st. If we ever do a special issue ranking our favorite sci-fi shows, the new Galactica will almost certainly make the list. The original, not so much.

Dade   

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK AUSIELLO

Question: I'm not a dork; I get a lot of [bleep]; but I love, love, love Battlestar Galactica! Do you have the lowdown on the rest of the season?

Dade   

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT.COM

'Galactica' Special to Premiere on iTunes

Thursday, December 22, 2005

11:30 AM PT

battlestargalactica_240_003.jpg

With all of the networks rushing to make programming available for iPod viewing, Sci Fi Channel is breaking some iTunes barrier or other with the premiere of "Sci Fi Inside: Battlestar Galactica."

The half-hour special will premiere on iTunes on Thursday, Dec. 22, well ahead of its Jan. 2 first cable airing. The telecast serves as a lead-in for the winter premiere of "Galactica" on Jan. 6.

"We are thrilled to be the first network to premiere our own original programming on the iTunes Music Store," says Dave Howe, Sci Fi's executive vice president and general manager. "This is an important step to position SCI FI Channel as not only the consumer's destination for groundbreaking programming, but also as a digital pioneer seeking out new ways to enhance the viewing experience for our audience."

"Galactica," one of Sci Fi's highest rated shows and certainly its best reviewed, has regularly broken iPod content barriers. Back in March, the show's executive producer Ronald D. Moore began providing supplementary audio commentaries for every episode, available as podcasts.

The networks are quickly beginning to realize the potential of the iPod video technology. On Tuesday, ABC announced that freshman hit "Commander In Chief" would join "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" on iTunes. The network's parent, Disney, also offers three Disney Channel shows.

Sci Fi's corporate parent NBC Universal has placed several of its current shows, clips from "The Tonight Show" and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and past shows like "Knight Rider" on the service.

Dade   

Episode Detail: Battlestar Galactica

Airings: SCI-FI - Thursday, January 05, 08:00 AM

Nine back-to-back episodes from Season 2 of the science fiction series that stars Edward James Olmos and Katee Sackhoff are featured. First up:

Dade   

Courtesy of: AOL TELEVISION, TV TATTLER

Mary McDonnell Dishes About All-New 'Battlestar Galactica'

Jan. 3 -- Two-time Oscar nominated actress Mary McDonnell plays reluctant President Laura Roslin with a quiet strength and depth on 'Battlestar Galactica,' whose third season premieres Fri., Jan. 6. In her long career, McDonnell has played several strong women including First Lady Marilyn Whitmore in 'Independence Day,' the mother of a troubled teen in 'Donnie Darko,' Dr. Eleanor Carter on 'ER' and the breakthrough role of Stands With a Fist in 'Dances with Wolves.'

McDonnell chatted with AOL Television editor Sean Doorly about portraying a strong woman, attending science fiction conventions and her character's haircut.

What makes President Laura Roslin tick?

I think the core of the character is that she was put in this position to support the survival of the human race. It was a discovery of a destiny thrust upon her. Somewhere along the way, relationships begin to develop and she learned about her ability to handle power. It has been a very interesting internal journey. There was no ambition for this position.

What are some of the difficulties in portraying a woman in power?

A lot of the difficulty has a lot more to do with the position itself and not being a woman in the position. It is about understanding what it costs you internally to have to make life and death decisions for people. It is all about understanding what shifts inside you when you are forced to order assassinations or sending creatures out airlocks that you have to make for the survival of the human race. You shut down. If you leave it open these decisions are almost impossible to make. They cost you so much pain that you cannot survive it.

What drew you to this role?

The entire story drew me to the role. I was very drawn to the script as a miniseries and I didn't expect to be because I said, "'Battlestar Galactica' -- what? For me? That doesn't make any sense." This happened to be a really superb role because it is a middle-aged woman who is dealing with everything. She is also dealing with breast cancer, which is our biggest female pandemic, and she is dealing with loneliness on a very profound level. In the beginning, she was dealing with a gender power struggle with the military. She had to figure out how to quietly cut through that every time it came at her because if she reacted, all hell would have broken loose and she would have gotten nothing accomplished.

Any chance of a romance for your lonely character?

(Laughs.) My feeling is that for her to open up her heart would be a disaster. The risk would be so extraordinary given what is going on in her life. She is a woman keeping it in control and when you get involved in romance, it gets out of your control.

What is in store for your character this year?

I don't want to give away any spoilers, but there will be changes aboard and she may have to get smarter to keep committed to what she thinks her purpose is. There are some very interesting and radical things that occur. By the end of the 20 episodes this year, even we were saying, "How are we going to get out of this?" The cast cannot wait to see the beginning of season three. It will blow your mind. We keep on asking, "Now where will we go?" Ron Moore just digs us in deeper.

What are the good and bad things about working on a TV show?

I think TV and film both offer wonderful things. Having done a lot of television I have gotten used to the pace and I like it. There is an edginess to it. The immediacy of this show is amazing. We work at a breathtaking pace. To work at this pace really supports the show. This urgency really brings out the best in the cast.

Were you a science fiction fan before this?

No. Although I have always been drawn to the metaphysical. There are areas of quasi-science fiction that I have always been fascinated by and I saw those in the script. A sort of spiritual/scientific/human thing. Those three things have always fascinated me. But I never really watched sci fi. When the original series was playing I was in New York living the bohemian life and doing theater. I didn't own a television. I knew the name of 'Battlestar Galactica,' but I had never seen it. It was off my radar.

Have you been to any science fiction conventions?

I have been to a couple of conventions and the people I met and the discussions of the show pleasantly surprised me. It had a seminar kind of feeling about it. Our show is a little different because we are human, we all share the same DNA and Earth was part of the same consortium, so people don't relate to us as the exotic. They relate to us as normal. I think this show attracts a different kind of sci fi fan. It is basically a human drama in space. The aliens on our show look like us.

Have you watched the episodes again on DVD?

No. I watch them professionally to see what can be improved upon or things I would like to ask the producers about. I don't spend a lot of time watching the show. For me, if I get too absorbed as a viewer, I lose some of my innocence as a player. I don't want Laura to be invaded by Mary's ego. My ego is much more active than President Laura Roslin. She is a much purer, devoted, clear-minded and ruthless person who has her eye on a goal and could care a fig about her self. I care about myself much more than her. I don't want that invading her space. It is better for me not to watch too much because I will say, "I definitely need new clothes and what about this haircut?" If she did start going to the beauty parlor then it would be like, "I thought you were trying to help this race survive?" She is a lot more mature than I am.

Dade   

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK MATT

Question: As Alias winds to a close, I've had to find a new favorite show. I always have one (Twin Peaks, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Roswell, Homefront, Relativity, My So-Called Life)

Dade   

Question: Is Battlestar Galactica going to kill off Mary McDonnell? Her character has breast cancer, after all. I love her and don't want her to go!

Dade   

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Battlestar Galactica

Everybody else as happy as I am to have this show back, in an era where sci-fi series tend to get dropped before you've even had a chance to really get to know them? Or just because your inner geek loves a genre series that's actually good? OK, just checking. My inner geek's real insecure. Anyway, here we go, getting right back into it as Galactica squares off against Pegasus and Starbuck shows up just in time to nearly get toasted by her own people. And just as quickly, we get Cain talking about how the finer points of law don't matter in a time of war. (Funny how, between this and the abuse of Cylon Boomer and the Number Six prisoner, the most politically topical series on TV is one that takes place in space, ain't it? Shhhh

Dade   

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE...DO NOT QUOTE

Question: Just wanted to thank you for finally pushing me off the fence with Battlestar Galactica. Your hearty recommendation got me to make the leap, and I have yet to regret it.

Dade   

Couresy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Battlestar Galactica

After last week's killer intrigue, they shift gears and start us off with Apollo floating in space... then do the "48 hours earlier" trick. It worked when they did it with Starbuck in flames a while back, and it works just as well this time. Here we go, with Helo and the Chief barely escaping a Full Metal Jacket-style soap opera, Cain asking Starbuck in for a drink, Apollo confronting his father about the hit he put out on Cain and so on, right up until the point where Cain's colonel comes onboard the Galactica and takes command of the Marines there. One poignant note to break things up: Adama asks Boomer why the Cylons hate humanity so much. She reminds him of how, in a speech, he said humanity never asked itself why it deserves to survive. "Maybe you don't," she says. On to more disturbing beauty as Apollo, forced to eject during the attack, floats through space, leaking air, with a front-row view of the battle's pyrotechnics. And speaking of disturbing beauty, how about Baltar rebelling against Number Six, telling her prisoner self the same story Number Six told him? He's made a choice; I'm just not sure what it is. And when Adama calls Starbuck off at the point of the hit (and Cain does the same with the colonel), I must admit I have no idea how this is going to play out. So when Prisoner Number Six takes the guard's gun, begs Baltar to kill her and takes off when he refuses, it's a nicely constructed surprise when she shoots Cain herself. It's also a nice setup to hear Starbuck say they were safer when Cain was around. I sure don't think so. Then again, I'm lousy at predicting what's what on this show

Dade   

Battlestar Galactica

"Save the attitude for someone who cares," Starbuck says to Kat

Dade   

Battlestar Galactica

Ever get the feeling that Apollo is actually three different characters and that the writers just keep typing his name in the script by mistake, so he ends up participating in stories that were supposed to be handed to someone else? (Trigger fingers off the feedback form, please; I still love this show and rarely have a bad thing to say about it, but I'll take my favorites to the woodshed now and then, when they drop below the admirably high standards they've already set.) First we see the "48 hours earlier" gimmick yet again. Thought it was cool the first time, guys, but give us a while to miss it before reusing it, huh? Then there's the cardinal rule of storytelling: You toss in information about a character as if it's been out there all along at your peril. All of a sudden Apollo is in love with a hooker? When I was already trying to let his schizo Dee-Starbuck behavior slide? Not a terrible thing, but the cumulative effect of this stuff begins to bother me. Then there's the black-market investigation. In addition to being an ace pilot, Apollo's suddenly a junior Sonny Crockett? I suppose I buy that Bill Duke's Phelan apparently has free run of military vessels. Considering the power of the black market, I'll let that slide, too. But then Apollo's running around on a one-man operation without any backup? And Phelan says he knows who Apollo is and knows who his father is, but doesn't care? Uh... his dad commands a battleship and the entire military. Tony Soprano would know enough to care. All the same, the best shows have less-than-perfect episodes, and the moment where Phelan misjudged Apollo and died for his mistake was trite but good (though I would've kept him around awhile for his menace potential). Interesting tension between Roslin and Baltar, too. Not quite the usual stellar effort, Galactica people, but everyone has their down weeks.

Dade   

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE....DO NOT QUOTE

Question: Congrats on scoring another column on TVGuide.com. You deserve it. And we deserve some Battlestar Galactica scoop in AA.

Dade   

Battlestar Galactica

We start with the "94 hours ago" trick, even though I said last week I was getting tired of it. It's almost as if the producers actively refuse to read my comments and adjust their show accordingly. And the even heavier use of "frack" and "motherfracker" seems to confirm that suspicion. Who do they think they are? Ah, well, I might as well get used to it, especially since the show's returned to form after last week's disappointing episode and is delivering the goods once again. Good stuff here: Kat riding Starbuck, Starbuck pining for Anders, Sharon explaining that Scar is full of rage because Cylon raiders, being regenerated, treat death as a learning experience and just come back deadlier and more annoyed than ever. Bet you thought I wasn't going to mention Apollo and Starbuck making out and firing their clothes off at warp speed, only to break down into sniping at one another before they'd gotten very far, didn't you? I'm thinking it won't go anywhere for a long time, if ever. In the meantime, the Kat-Scar-Starbuck battle was killer, and the added touch of seeing Scar's blood spatter across the rock as he crashed was an unsettling reminder that we're not just dealing with machines here. On either side. Starbuck telling Helo she can't get Anders out of her head is evidence of that, and then he tells her that now she has something to live for, not just to die for. This week, we've got something to be thankful for: Galactica's back on course.

Dade   

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

'Galactica' Gets a Little More Lawless

Monday, February 06, 2006

10:22 AM PT

lucylawless_battlestargalactica_240.jpg

Lucy Lawless, already a cult heroine from her days as Xena, is about to pick up even more geek cred.

Lawless will join the cast of the Sci Fi Channel's "Battlestar Galactica" for its third season, reprising her role as D'Anna Biers. She's scheduled to appear in 10 episodes of season three, which begins filming in the spring.

Fans of the critically hailed show won't have to wait to see her again, though -- she's set to make another guest appearance in an episode scheduled for Friday, Feb. 24.

Lawless' character, a journalist, arrived on Galactica to do an expose on supposed misconduct by crew members that resulted in the death of civilians. Her piece ended up having the opposite effect, however, bridging a gap between the military and civilian survivors of humanity.

Viewers also found out that D'Anna had an ulterior motive -- she's a human-looking Cylon sent to gather information on the humans.

Lawless, a native of New Zealand, shot stardom in this country during her time as "Xena: Warrior Princess," which ran in syndication from 1995-2000. She's also appeared on "The X-Files" and "Veronica Mars" and starred in the short-lived WB series "Tarzan" two seasons ago.

Dade   

Battlestar Galactica

OK, I know it's Dana Delany, but I think that given her obsessive collecting of files and other tin-foil-hat doings, we're not dealing with the compassionate Colleen McMurphy here. But before I'm proved right (with the hostage taking) and wrong (about the conspiracy-nut angle

Dade   

Courtesy of: NBC UNIVERSAL MEDIA VILLAGE (NBCUMV)

BIGGEST 'BATTLESTAR GALACTICA' EPISODE EVER

Published: February 15, 2006

2BATgrC05.jpg

SCI FI Expands Season 2 Finale to 90-Minutes

NEW YORK -- February 15, 2006 -- The season two finale of SCI FI Channel's critically-acclaimed original series 'Battlestar Galactica' will be its biggest episode ever. "Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2" will be presented as a special 90-minute television event on Friday, March 10, 2006 @ 10pm-11:30pm ET/PT.

In true Galactica-style, the expanded season finale cliffhanger is sure to leave viewers wanting more. Up to this point, the last remnants of humanity have been on the run from the Cylons and searching for a mythical planet called Earth. They have been led by President Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell), a woman whom many believe is the chosen prophet of human scripture, and Admiral William Adama (Edward James Olmos), a retired war hero forced back into service after the Cylons' near-genocide of the human race.

Now, with the presidential campaigning in full swing, the election's outcome hinges upon a core debate - whether or not to abandon the search for Earth when the Galactica crew discovers a habitable planet. When the election begins to swing in favor of Baltar (James Callis) - a man whom Roslin is convinced is a Cylon collaborator - the incumbent president must decide whether or not to take drastic measures for the greater good. Things become even further complicated when the Cylons, led by Caprica Six (Tricia Helfer) and Sharon (Grace Park), find the planet and offer humanity a stunning proposal of peace.

The 90-minute 'Battlestar' finale will follow the season finales of SCI FI's other hit original series, 'Stargate SG-1' (8pm) and 'Stargate Atlantis' (9pm).

Production on season three of 'Battlestar Galactica' will begin in April in Vancouver, with Lucy Lawless joining the cast for a 10-episode arc.

SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 85 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.

Dade   

Battlestar Galactica

One thing I've learned doing this job is that I develop biases to the point of blindness. Take this show. After one subpar episode, a return to form and then another so-so installment (the hostage crisis), I was beginning to worry. Still, I didn't give the Galactica folks too hard a time when I would've blasted lesser shows for committing the same sins, because I wanted to believe it was just a couple of hiccups. And right I was. This was one of the good ones, with the "barely competent and paranoid" Garner creating strife as commander of "the beast" (Pegasus), Roslin tackling her reelection and the abortion question, and then Garner leading his ship directly into a Cylon trap. If Apollo and Starbuck hadn't been onboard, I would've assumed this was the writers' chance to take Pegasus out of the picture and restore Galactica to its lone-wolf status. But I was pleasantly surprised to see that after Garner's The Poseidon Adventure moment

Dade   

Battlestar Galactica

To everyone who gave me crap about criticizing this show when it ran a couple of clinker episodes, read this carefully, as a reminder that I say nice things

Dade   

Battlestar Galactica

You know, if you have any friends who still write off sci-fi as gimmicky crap (and it too often is), just have them watch the first segment of this episode. Hill Street Blues never did an intro better, and Hill Street Blues did 'em great. Not a laser gun fired

Dade   

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

THIS 'N' THAT: Battlestar Galactica, which will air its sophomore-season finale on Friday, has announced an April start for production on Season 3, to premiere in October.... Goosed by its best-picture win at the Oscars, the DVD for Crash sold 17,500 units on Monday

Dade   

Battlestar Galactica

Three words (but you'll have to fill them in yourself, and no, one of them isn't frack): WTF? I've given the Galactica producers and writers plenty of credit for reinventing the lame original and putting together one of the best sci-fi shows to ever hit TV in the process. I've also slagged them for giving us sub-par installments this season with the hooker-out-of-thin-air/gangster and, to a lesser degree, Die Hard-in-space episodes. But all along I've tried to keep the faith that those were just minor burps and the producers, just like the Cylons, have a plan. I gotta tell you, though, folks