Sign in to follow this  
Jem

Battlestar Galactica

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Roush Review

Ready for Battle

Galactica is in a dark galaxy all its own

Sci-fi/horror is making a TV comeback this fall, with several new network series aiming to scare us silly with aliens and other creatures.

Any of them would be lucky to be half as riveting as Battlestar Galactica, the wildly intense gem from Sci Fi Channel's justifiably popular Friday-night three-pack.

Galactica ended its first season with a bang: the shooting of the ship's commander (Edward James Olmos) by a crew member who'd just learned she's a Cylon (a sinister, evolving robot race) who has multiple clones. The second season starts with a jump, as the ship leaps in space to avoid the Cylons but is separated from the rest of the fleet and leaves other characters behind on two war-torn planets.

Complex and provocative, with dark and violent twists, Galactica is often excruciatingly suspenseful as the outnumbered and outgunned humans try to escape extinction. It's not to be missed.

I'm less glued to the night's other shows, though I've become a late convert to the irreverent whimsy of Stargate SG-1, which benefits in its ninth season from the appealing additions of Beau Bridges and, from the still-lamented Farscape, Ben Browder and (in a recurring role) Claudia Black. The first episodes have fun with Arthurian legend, but don't ask me to explain this show's convoluted mythology.

Its spin-off, Stargate Atlantis, gets off to a rousing start as the ancient city fends off an attack from the fearsome Wraith.

The Stargate shows are diverting enough, but Galactica is the real deal: a tough, scary, fully imagined sci-fi classic for the ages.

Guest Rebekah

Whetting our appetite, Ranster, yes? Can't wait. BSG is the REAL deal!!

Guest ranster627

Just making sure we never forget the rest of Morty's during the BB hysteria! :wink:

It is an interesting article, but I am not sure I agree with all of it ... I am still getting in to the new BSG and I hate the fantasy scenes with Number 6 (personal choice) ... but I am still hoping to get really hooked this season! I was just so attached to the first one ... imagine that, a sci-fi fan stuck in the past!

Guest Rebekah

LOL, I agree Ranster. I loved the original BSG (Richard Hatch, come take me away. NOW!). The new show is very engaging and I can't wait for season 2 to start.

LOVE BB but am a total Sci fi chick and refuse to make a choice. I totally appreciate all the sci-fi info so please continue!!! :P

Guest ranster627

no choice for me at all either ... this is my first love ...

I keep thinking of the new BSG as emerging ... I expect the best next season when they "get in the groove" ... I do think the new series is much more realistic as far as the gender balance goes, and I like that a lot!

Guest Rebekah

BSG does a great gender balance. To have a female Pres is something (though she is dying of cancer it's only a small issue in her overall character makeup). They truly expanded the cylon role from machines that kill to almost fully rounded individuals (at least that is where they seem to be going with them). As much as I love original shows, I think the new BSG has given us a rich vision with complex characters and fantastic special effects.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Matt

Question: I just saw a promo for Battlestar Galactica on NBC next Saturday night. Does this mean there's a possibility of NBC putting it on in prime time? This was completely out of the blue. What info from behind the scenes do you have?

Matt: The operative word here is "synergy." As in: NBC and Sci Fi are part of the same corporate family, and NBC is devoting its little-watched Saturday-night lineup to help promote next week's launch of Battlestar Galactica's second season. Not much to lose in doing this, and anything that gets people talking about Galactica this summer is OK by me. But beyond that, the show is staying on Sci Fi, probably exclusively, and NBC isn't going to poach it.

Guest sjc-ch-nc

woohoo only one more day cant wat to see how starbuck and helo r gonna get back to bsg but it is gonna be a great season

Guest ranster627

Question: I know you like Battlestar Galactica pretty much, but I just don't feel the same. Sure, the show has its moments, but they are few and far between. It's definitely not something I'd want my child to watch because of its sexual content. If it is such a good show, why is it still the last of the three-show block on Friday night? I think it's because both Stargates are far superior in every way. Now, with the addition of Ben Browder as lead and Claudia Black in six episodes SG-1 will be better than ever. Just goes to show how smart the powers that be behind SG-1 are. They will pick up fans from the best sci-fi show ever to hit the airwaves, Farscape. I still miss that show.

Matt: No argument on Farscape. Bringing Ben Browder and, in a recurring role, Claudia Black aboard on SG-1 has made the show lots of fun as a new season begins tonight. (I don't really understand any of it, but who cares.) But Battlestar Galactica airs at the end of Sci Fi's Friday night lineup not because it's being marginalized (its ratings are just fine) but, I'd like to think, because its content is the most adult of the three series and merits airing later at night. Feels kind of responsible to me. I'd hope most parents would shield their children from Galactica, which is one of the darkest and most gripping sci-fi dramas I've ever seen. It's not a kiddie show, and certainly isn't the least bit cheesy or campy. I can understand viewers resisting its bleakness and some of its extreme content, but I think the new Galactica absolutely demands to be taken seriously as one of the very best hours on TV.

I loved the show tonight. It sure left me wanting. Did everyone go to sleep after it was over. Why are we not talking about it. :)

Guest ranster627

haven't seen it in Canada yet, can you fill us in?

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Battlestar Galactica

Man, how jazzed are we to have Season 2 going, Galactica fans? (OK, so maybe it's just me, then

Guest ranster627

FROM EW:

121446__battle_l.jpg

The return of Sci Fi's ''Battlestar Galactica'' -- The update of the original '70's series proves its worth with smart writing by Neil Drumming

Mary McDonnell looks miserable. It's only her first scene of the day for Sci Fi's Battlestar Galactica, and she's being asked to struggle up a muddy Vancouver hillside in a downpour, while her woolly red mane clings limply to her face. Even with studly costar Jamie Bamber propping her up, this would seem to be the beginning of a dreadful afternoon.

Yet just before the director yells ''Cut!'' and the fake rain blinks out, McDonnell

Guest ranster627

Question: Am I the only one rooting for the Cylons? If the crew of Battlestar Galactica is the only hope for humanity, then let it die. None of the human characters has any redeeming qualities. When Boomer shot Adama, my only thought was, "Now get Tigh! Aim for the head! Aim for the head!"

Matt Roush: Perhaps a little harsh, but I think it's fair to say that we're meant to be ambivalent about this crew of humans. They're very flawed, but I don't think they're irredeemable. As for the Cylons, they're perhaps the most complex "villains" I've ever encountered on a sci-fi drama. It's entirely possible that as they continue to evolve, we will find our rooting interests shifting even further from the supposed "heroes" to this cunning species.

Guest ranster627

FROM Sci-Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 25-JULY-05

Galactica's Starbuck Finds Love

Katee Sackhoff, who plays Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace on the SCI FI Channel original series Battlestar Galactica, told SCI FI Wire that she asked the producers to expand a storyline in which her character finds romance. "I have a love interest that comes in in episode four and five, and he left," Sackhoff said in an interview. "He was gone. And I thought to bring him back, and it's a big deal to have to bring him back, because basically you have to go back to Caprica again. ... It's a huge thing. It's a couple of episodes, if not more than that, to bring his character back, and I fought for that because we have great chemistry and I enjoy him."

Sackhoff said that the producers took her suggestion and are writing the character, played by Michael Trucco, back into the show. His return may end a streak of brief trysts for Starbuck, which Sackhoff believes are a product of her character's insecurities. "She is extremely vulnerable, and extremely fragile," she said. "And she wants so badly to be loved. And she doesn't know how to do that. She's been hurt so many times in her life. The easiest way for her to feel loved is to have sex with somebody, to feel that immediate connection. And I think that when she [did] do that and realized that wasn't what [she] wanted, again, she leaves them. So that's why it's a string of men and it's only one time or two times. But I think with the man that she met on Caprica, she finally gave her heart to someone. And it's a big thing for her, and we've been seeing the emotional toll it has taken for her, because she misses him a lot."

In a separate interview, producer David Eick (whom Sackhoff calls an "actors' producer"), told SCI FI Wire that it was Sackhoff's performance that inspired a more three-dimensional take on the character. "You really find yourself writing Kara Thrace as the most vulnerable character, because Katee has that vulnerability, and she has that sort of tough exterior," Eick said. "And that balance, that sort of contradiction, really, is what's so interesting about the character. If she was just Han Solo with a haircut, you'd say, 'Okay, nice.' But it starts to feel a little bit cute; it starts to feel a little bit contrived. And the truth is, she's the most emotional. And yet she's the one who's the best shot, and she's probably the one that will pull the trigger first. And that's an interesting contradiction to us, and that contradiction was really provided by Katee." Battlestar Galactica airs Fridays at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Guest ranster627

Battlestar Galactica

Now here's a situation I can identify with: the Cylon virus knocking out the main and auxiliary power on board, not unlike the many times that I blew a fuse with my AC while living in New York. Not that we had any auxiliary anything, you understand. We just had flashlights and basement fuse boxes that hung from their own wires. Enough about me, though. Yet another testament to how well done this show is the way they manage to make CGI Cylon warriors terrifying. You see exactly what it's like to run into one in a dark hallway, and it ain't pretty. And I didn't realize how freakin' big they were. Down on Caprica, Starbuck's laying into Helo. "Your girlfriend's from a lovely family," she says of Cylon Boomer. "Good people. Great values." Oh, c'mon. She's gonna give the guy crap when she already knows he's been on the run for months, one of only two humans (as far as he knew) on the entire planet? Well, yeah

Guest ranster627

Battlestar Galactica

Guess who

Guest ranster627

Battlestar Galactica

I just figured out a key difference between the hard-drinking Colonel Tigh and me: When I booze, my bad decisions amount to accidentally playing ELO's entire greatest-hits CD on the jukebox and annoying the crap out of the whole bar. His involve declaring martial law, smacking around one of his most loyal people

Guest ranster627

FROM Sci-Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 17-AUGUST-05

Lawless Invades Galactica

Lucy Lawless, who will guest-star in an upcoming episode of SCI FI Channel's original series Battlestar Galactica, told SCI FI Wire that footage she shot while playing a broadcast reporter actually makes it into the final cut, which airs Sept. 9.

"We were shooting video, and they are using footage that I and my crew actually shot," Lawless said in an Aug. 16 telephone interview from the set of the TV movie Vampire Bats, which she is currently shooting in New Orleans. "It was really exciting, worrying about the camera angle you are getting, and you were truly being your character and fully concerned about shooting the footage. It was like shooting a movie within a movie."

Lawless guest-stars in "Final Cut," the eighth episode of Galactica's current second season, written by Mark Verheiden and directed by Robert Young. In the episode, Lawless plays reporter D'Anna Friel, who gets unlimited access to film aboard Galactica and documents the stress of military life during wartime. The marines, led by Lt. Palladino (Jeremy Guilbaut), get widely criticized when his crew opens fire on civilian protesters, killing four and wounding 12. Then there's a death threat against Col. Tigh (Michael Hogan). Meanwhile, President Roslin (Mary McDonnell) and Cmdr. Adama (Edward James Olmos) offer Fleet News Service full access to the pilots and crew. Along the way, the reporter uncovers some major secrets and faces an ethical dilemma.

Lawless admitted that she wasn't familiar with the Galactica series before she landed the role, but said that she was impressed with the show's universe. "The sets weren't all shiny, like the previous Battlestar Galactica," she said. "They were grungy and all beaten up. It has that post-apocalyptic rawness. It's genius."

The episode also marks the first time in nearly two decades of acting that Lawless was allowed to use her native New Zealand accent. "I've never wanted to use my real voice before," she said. "It never seemed appropriate, and I was resistant to it. But for this role as a reporter, it seemed appropriate."

12:00 AM, 19-JULY-05

Galactica Will Encounter Pegasus

David Eick, co-creator and executive producer of SCI FI Channel's original series Battlestar Galactica, offered SCI FI Wire a few more details about the introduction of the Battlestar Pegasus, a returning element from the original series, which co-creator Ronald D. Moore revealed in a panel at Comic-Con International in San Diego. "This really came out of a conversation Ron and I had early on about the episodes we had seen of the original show and what felt like they might be well served by a fresh interpretation," Eick said in an interview. He added: "The storyline that we thought was interesting was the Battlestar Pegasus. And so, naturally, we put a pretty unexpected and, I think, pretty subversive spin on it. But it's definitely going to be a fixture for a while." The Pegasus appears beginning in the 10th episode of the second season.

The arrival of the Pegasus will launch a complex story arc inspired by current events, Eick said. "It stands to reason that in a show that's all about how we're all trying to survive this horrific attack by this inhuman enemy, that the thing that we're really exploring is not that threat from without, but how it turns itself inward and how it becomes insidious and internal, and how it begins to break us down from inside ourselves," he said. "And what better way to take that idea to the next level than to introduce another human being who, on the face of it, is going to help us defeat the Cylons, defeat that third outside enemy, once and for all, but in reality serves to only remind us once again that the biggest enemy is really us?"

Eick also hinted that the Pegasus will be involved in a multi-episode arc, though its crew may not be around as long. "It's not going to go away as quickly as people might think," he said. "That's not to say that the folks involved in bringing the Pegasus to us are going to remain indefinitely. But for sure it's going to be a fixture for some time." Battlestar Galactica airs Fridays at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Guest ranster627

Battlestar Galactica

It occurs to me that Zarek's supposed to be a brilliant plotter, but can he really be that sharp if he's planning to kill Apollo, the guy whose dad commands a huge flying fortress chock-full of highly trained fighting forces and weaponry capable of leveling a planet? Just asking. And while we're on the subject of smart, does Baltar realize he can't win a battle of wits with the brilliant artificial woman who calls his noggin home? Case in point: She toys with him, telling him there's no chip in his brain and he's actually just plain-old crazy. The only one who can mess with a man's head better than a gorgeous girl is a gorgeous girl who lives there. And we're not done with the IQ games just yet, since Cylon Boomer tells Helo she's smarter than he is and he concedes the point because she knows the difference between further and farther. Which means she's more on the ball than me, too, since I can never remember which is which.

Me, I can't figure out if Cylon Boomer really is acting on her own, or carrying out a grand Cylon plan and playing Helo and everyone else for fools. She takes out Zarek's murderous pal (sorry you couldn't stick around, Ganz), gets the drop on Adama and then hands over the gun, but that could just be because she's just that brilliant a tactician and is really suckering them. And I have to admit I was expecting the tomb of Athena to have some sort of booby trap in it since I was raised on too many Indiana Jones movies, but was pleasantly surprised to see them throw in the twist of teleporting the group to the real, Earthlike tomb. And again, it's a good thing those people, too, are smarter than I am and know their astronomy. If you had to count on my knowledge of our nearby constellations, you'd blow past Earth and be somewhere past galaxy CL1358+62 before you even knew anything was amiss.

Guest Rebekah

Kristin, EOline.com writes:

Skin! Skin! Skin! One glance at the photo at right shows you what fans of Battlestar Galactica (my newest love) are greeted with on this week's episode (which airs this Friday on the Sci Fi Channel): star Jamie Bamber (Apollo) and his new costar, an itty-bitty towel. The episode also stars Lucy Lawless, who describes her character, D'anna Biers as "a journalist, who is out to get to the bottom of what she believes is a cover-up involving marines on board the Galactica." FYI, she has nothing but glorious things to say about the Galactica cast ("they're all are gorgeous...there's not a rotten apple there"), she's willing to defend her previous role to the death, saying she'd "poleax her on the way to the rink" if any actress tried to step into Xena's shoes. Atta girl!150.battlestar.090105.jpg (and I say "yum yum")

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Insider

Lucy Lawless Raids the Galactica

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Xena is back, and she's taking names. Well, OK, not exactly. Lucy Lawless is back in the fantasy/sci-fi fold, playing D'Anna Friel, a pesky investigative journalist on Friday night's episode of Battlestar Galactica (airing at 10 pm/ET on Sci Fi Channel). Not only will the former chakram-throwing warrior princess look a bit different in her outer-space existence

Guest ranster627

Battlestar Galactica

With former Xena Lucy Lawless playing the part of roving reporter, I'll avoid the obvious pen-is-mightier-than-the-sword line, especially since she's using a camera. First off, Adama demands to know where Lawless' D'anna got the tape of the Marines shooting civilians. I'd like to know, too, since the camera angles are exactly those we saw on the episode, so it leaves me with a bit of a metaphysical crisis I don't want to have since I like this show. But I smell a gimmick episode, which makes me nervous. Too early in the series for one of those. Nevertheless, away we go, as Dee tells Tigh his wife's on the horn and "something's wrong." Yeah, we knew that before she rang. So Tigh's being stalked by a literate psycho and Baltar's bummed about not being interviewed, even though he might want to avoid the lens since, after all, he's got a Cylon living in his head and he regularly argues with himself.

"Me, I'm just worried that Hell's gonna be a lonely place, and I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son-of-a-bitch I find," Edmonson tells the camera. Uh, she does realize that would mean all her company would be the toasters she hates, right? OK, so I'm thinking too much. Anyway, D'anna gets footage of Cylon Boomer's baby crisis, all sorts of operational stuff, the works. And though she ends up turning out a positive piece that pleases Adama and Roslin, she turns out to be a Cylon? I'm touchy because I'm part of the media, after all, but I feel it's a cheap shot to show the press as the enemy in such a literal sense, all "loose lips sinks ships" sentiments aside. Nice touch to use the theme music from the original Galactica to end the documentary, though.

any idea when the second season will start in Canada?

Guest ranster627

I was going to ask the same thing ... I would assume SPACE will run it in January ...