Sign in to follow this  
Jem

Battlestar Galactica

Jem   

Second 'Galactica' Season Blasts Off on Sci Fi

Wednesday, February 23 10:33 AM)

battlestargalactica_240_003.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com)</span> Although regularly described in reviews as a science fiction show for people who hate science fiction, "Battlestar Galactica" is getting much love from the good people at the Sci Fi Channel. The NBC Universal Cable entity has ordered a second season of "Galactica," allowing the remake to already top the season run of its '70s predecessor.

Sci Fi has ordered 20 new episodes of "Galactica," with production set to begin in Vancouver in March. Fresh episodes should be ready to anchor Sci Fi's Friday lineup by the summer.

After premiering as a two-part miniseries in late 2003, "Battlestar Galactica" was launched as a 13-episode series which premiered in October of 2004 in England and in January 2005 on this side of the pond. In addition to earning some of Sci Fi's best-ever reviews, the new "Galactica" has become the network's biggest hit, averaging more than 3 million viewers per episode. The "Galactica"-anchored Friday night, which also includes both members of the "Stargate" family, is a consistent ratings winner for Sci Fi.

Series stars Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, Katee Sackhoff, Jamie Bamber, James Callis, Tricia Helfer and Grace Park are signed on for the second season, as are executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick.

The original series, which featured Richard Hatch (a guest star on the update), Dirk Benedict and Lorne Greene, premiered in 1978 and last for a single 24-episode season.

<_< Soooooo! :P Its my 30 inch widescreen HDTV :angry:

WAIT! I think it's 30! :rolleyes: I have to check the book :lol:

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

'Battlestar's' Madame President Finds Her Power

(Wednesday, March 02 03:29 PM)

By Kate O'Hare

marymcdonnell_battlestargalactica_240_00

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Before "Battlestar Galactica," the closest actress Mary McDonnell got to a presidency was playing the doomed First Lady Marilyn Whitmore in the blockbuster film "Independence Day."

Now she's gone from being the woman behind the man to being "the man," as President Laura Roslin in Sci Fi Channel's space epic "Battlestar Galactica," airing Fridays at 10 p.m. ET.

As depicted in the 2003 miniseries that launched this reimagined version of the short-lived 1970s series of the same name, the robotic Cylons turned against their human creators and nuked the 12 human colonies (whose names, like Virgon and Caprica, derive from zodiac signs).

The survivors were forced to flee aboard a hastily assembled fleet of military and civilian ships, led by the Galactica, under Commander Adama (Edward James Olmos). They're on the run from the Cylons and on the hunt for Kobol, which their mythology considers the home planet of mankind, and for the lost 13th colony -- Earth.

Along with its military fleet, the 12 Colonies also had a civilian government, and most of that was destroyed. After 43 others in the line of succession perished in front of her, Education Secretary Laura Roslin assumed the presidency in the middle of chaos.

As the show's first full season has progressed -- the two-part finale, "Kobol's Last Gleaming," airs Friday, March 25 and April 1 -- Roslin has made agonizing decisions while trying to keep the survivors fed and alive, and dealing with the internal threat of Cylon agents who appear human. Often, she's butted heads with Adama, who initially referred to her as a "schoolteacher."

Roslin's also doing all this while secretly battling terminal breast cancer.

"Playing this part on 'Battlestar'," McDonnell says, "I've been in the position of having to make sometimes military decisions regarding life and death. It has been a huge stretch for my progressive little heart and soul. The first time I had to experience this in the miniseries, I was really disturbed, when I really got inside that moment.

"As the 13 episodes went on, and I got more and more in command, I started to notice the separation taking place, separating the perhaps compassionate person from the practical person that had to keep the bigger prize in mind. You start feeling yourself becoming more male in a kind of cliched sense, but in fact, you start relying on a different side of yourself more often to get through the moment and not experience some of that pain."

Rather than the cancer being a hindrance, McDonnell feels it's actually worked in Roslin's favor.

"It's fascinating to me," she says, "but the cancer has freed me up to become clearer, stronger and faster. I've got nothing to lose, personally. All I've got to gain is the survival of the people. That's all she has, to do the job well that destiny has handed to her. The sicker she becomes, the more freedom she's experiencing to get the job done.

"Do you know what the truth is? Women are carrying all of it anyway. It's delusion to think otherwise. We're carrying too much, and now we're being called into power in a male, worldly sense as well. So how do you do that?"

Playing the president has had a personal effect on McDonnell as well.

"Because I am a middle-aged woman, I was not raised from the first day of my life to be prepared for a position of power in the world. I was certainly raised to know that I could do whatever I want. I had a family filled with strong women, and a dad who said, 'Doesn't matter, go out and do what you want.'

"But my education, the information did not come to me to teach me how to be in the male world and take command. So it's the same with Laura Roslin, in that she was not prepared to be the president or any of this. Now she, under extraordinary circumstances, has to discover her own power. She's a very latently powerful woman. I think that's a very good thing to talk about right now."

Especially delicate is Roslin's relationship with Adama, who holds all the military power in his hands.

"She has a lot of power in a powerless situation," McDonnell says, "because he has control. She can't fly a plane. She doesn't understand it. He could [take over], and will. So my response, as Mary, reading it, 'You're kidding.' Then my second response is, 'That's exactly what would happen.'"

Roslin's challenge -- and that of writer/creator Ronald D. Moore -- is to find a credible way to convince Adama to allow the civilian government to stay in control.

"She does it," McDonnell says. "She takes command in certain areas. Here's the other thing about him, she needs to understand him, because she needs to understand his world. She's done a little more thinking about him than the other way around. I'm must a pain in his neck. I'm the annoying schoolteacher.

"She understands there's a man in there who has a really deep respect for a kind of protocol. He's very formal. It would be very hard for him, no matter how annoying she became, to dismiss the idea of the presidency."

And if she has to butt heads with the military, McDonnell's glad the other head belongs to Olmos.

"The best, job, really," she says. "Honestly. Otherwise, if you have to manufacture power, it's so boring, if you have to endow someone with power. He has it. For me, it's like candy."

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

'Galactica' Breaks Podcast Barrier

(Wednesday, March 09 08:28 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) If you don't know what "podcasting" is, you're probably not the only one. On the other hand, if you don't know what podcasting is, you may not be a regular Sci Fi Channel viewer or a fan the cable network's hit new drama "Battlestar Galactica." Sci Fi is hoping that there's plenty of audience overlap when it partners with "Galactica" executive producer Ronald D. Moore on the first original podcasting content ever offered by a major television network.

Moore has provided DVD-style audio commentaries to accompany the season's final five episodes of "Galactica." Currently available in MP3 format on Sci Fi's website, the audiocasts are meant to be watched in tandem with the episodes leading up to the already-renewed drama's Friday, April 1 season finale.

Podcasting merges the basic principals of a radio broadcast with Apple's iPod, the market's most recognizable digital audio player. Users can download broadcasts in the MP3 format, transfer them to their MP3 players and then listen at their own convenience.

The "Galactica" podcast and Moore's heavily visited Sci Fi blog are just a few of the ways that networks have are attempting to integrate the Internet and technological evolution into their regular programming plans. This Monday (March 7), for example, Showtime offered the premiere of the Kirstie Alley comedy "Fat Actress" as a free download, a strategy somewhat similar to The WB's use of AOL to stream the "Jack & Bobby" premiere this fall.

Already Sci Fi's most popular series, the second season of "Battlestar Galactica" will premiere in July.

In other Sci Fi news, Carmen Electra has joined the vocal cast of the network's raunchy animated comedy "Tripping the Rift." Electra ("Method & Red") replaces Gina Gershon as the voice of brilliant love slave Six.

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

Sci Fi's 'Galactica' Returns in July

(Monday, May 16 10:21 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Sci Fi Channel has set a July 15 premiere date for its highly rated Friday line-up of "Stargate SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica."

After premiering as a miniseries in late 2003 and as a regular series in England in late 2004, "Battlestar Galactica" gave Sci Fi some of its best ever reviews and broke out as one of the cable network's largest hits. The 13-episode season averaged more than three million viewers per night and anchored Sci Fi's strong Friday.

The series stars Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, Katee Sackhoff, Jamie Bamber, James Callis, Tricia Helfer and Grace Park, all of whom will be back for the second season, along with executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick.

Entering its ninth season, "Stargate SG-1" is Sci Fi's most venerable original drama. The series is set to add Emmy winner Beau Bridges, Oscar winner Lou Gossett, Jr. and "Farscape" star Claudia Black in recurring roles.

Bridges will also cross over into "Stargate Atlantis" in that drama's new season. Mitch Pileggi ("The X-Files") is set for a new recurring role on "Atlantis."

Sci Fi also announced that its new Wednesday lineup will premiere on July 27, led by the new unscripted drama "Master Blasters." "Ghost Hunters" returns that night for its second season, as does the animated comedy "Tripping the Rift."

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Ausiello

Question: Got any intel on the next season of Battlestar Galactica?

Ausiello: Lucy Lawless is gonna do a few episodes playing a Christiane Amanpour-type character. And I hear Sci Fi censors are freaking out about a really disturbing (yet visually stunning) scene in Episode 5. An upcoming issue of TV Guide magazine will have more on that little controversy.

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

FROM Sci-Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 01-JUNE-05

galactica_olmosmcdonnell_tn.jpg

More Galactica Deaths Coming?

Will more characters die in the upcoming second season of SCI FI Channel's original series Battlestar Galactica? That's what series creator and executive producer Ronald D. Moore told SCI FI Wire in an interview at EnigmaCon at the University of California, Los Angeles, on May 28.

"Yes, there are a couple of familiar faces that will go down for the count," Moore said cryptically, without identifying the doomed characters. He added: "I would say the events of the end of last season [mark] the beginning of this season."

Among other things, Moore said: "Adama's [Edward James Olmos] shot. There's people stranded on Kobol. Kara's [Katee Sackhoff] back on Caprica. Those storylines continue; all those continue. I would say we don't wrap up season one until episode seven. Adama is not back on his feet anytime soon. Commander Tigh [Michael Hogan] is in charge of Galactica. Laura [Roslyn, played by Mary McDonnell,] is in jail. There's a meteor crisis that follows the cliffhanger, and Tigh kind of steers them through that crisis successfully. But, you know, Tigh, he's probably the guy you don't want in charge."

Moore said that cast and crew are in the process of shooting the sixth episode of the second season in Vancouver, B.C. "We have scripts for the first 10 episodes," he added. "The 11th should be in this week, and we have the stories for the first 14."

Moore offered additional spoilers for the second season's arc. "Things begin to unravel when [Tigh's] in charge of the fleet. He declares martial law at a certain point. There is an incident where he sends the troops to get supplies, because the ships are withholding supplies from Galactica. He says enough is enough and sends out the troops, and an incident happens, and people get killed. They shoot a bunch of civilians. It's a whole nightmare, and Laura starts an insurrection and the fleet divides. There's a lot of fallout from the events of the last season."

Guest Rebekah   
Guest Rebekah

I'm a fan of the new series. Absolutely engaging. I did love the old series when I was a girl, I loved Richard Hatch. I am looking forward to the new series. Thanks for all the information on the show. I suppose I might be the only fan here for BSG? :lol:

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

I don't think so, it is catching on ... I love the old one, but am growing attached to the new one ... it took me a while, but I like the dynamics, and the plans they have revealed in the spoilers .... :wink:

Guest Rebekah   
Guest Rebekah

Oh good. I was afraid I'd be online talking to myself about BSG. :o

I watched the mini series several times before the actual series started and it did take me some time to get used to Starbuck as a woman, the special effects (if you look at the old show the effects are so cheesy), the story line. I got hooked by the second episode. Season 2 looks even better, with Lucy Lawless in a few episodes. I can't wait.

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

I also really like the politics and that struggle ... and there is something mystical about the Presidents Visions ... brilliant I say ... now if Starbuck could only catch back up to the fleet!

Guest Rebekah   
Guest Rebekah

I was surprised at the level of politics in the show. It's so much more complex than I would think they'd have. Which gives the show more layers. I love Starbuck. She better make it back. When I read about more deaths I thought that wacky scientist can go but I like his storyline as well. The last episode really packed a punch. I need to go back and watch the last few to remember all that was going on (president in jail, Adama shot, Starbuck, the human/cylon baby to be)

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

Baltar's Visions are driving me nuts, I want him to cross over and get off the ship already ... but they have many years till that plays out if they stay true to the original mythology! :wink:

Guest Rebekah   
Guest Rebekah

Baltar. Thank you. I couldn't remember his name. We do know that the President will die before they reach their final destination. I like Baltar, though he does drive me nuts as well. He has provided some of the funniest moments in the show (Starbuck walking in on him as he is 'making out' with his Number 6 Cylon).

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

they say she will die ... but it is science fiction ... lol

I like the fact that they have some Cylons on the verge of evolving and in conflict with themselves ...

Guest Rebekah   
Guest Rebekah

For sure that is another layer. The machines evolving to becoming more like their creators. The foreshadowing of this conflict, have they said anything about it at all in the myths? Seeing the child from the Boomer/Helo coupling will be interesting. I can't wait for another show to start (first bb, now BSG, then Lost, then Christmas). Always in anticipation it seems.

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

well we have to wait longer in Canada ... so I will have to grab what I can from US reporters ... but I believe here we are only a week or two delayed ...

Guest ranster627   
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Ausiello

Question: Season 2 Battlestar Galactica scoop?

Two new Cylons will be introduced, and one of them may be played by an actor/actress who previously worked with one of the show's producers. Hmmm...

Guest Rebekah   
Guest Rebekah

Good scoop, ranster. I would think they'd have to have more cylon characters. Wonder who the one is and if we would know her/him?

Guest bcwms   
Guest bcwms

I am so much a fan of the show. I have the dvd of the initial mini-series and have kept many of the first season shows on the dvr. I rather enjoy Giaus Balter, neurotic and freaky as he is. Number Six is great. Can't wait to see the other eight Cylon models. I was a big big fan of Farscape and had stopped watching Sci-Fi when it was cancelled but saw previews for this show and am hooked again. Okay - ran my mouth for awhile. :oops:

Guest Rebekah   
Guest Rebekah

Oh, bcwms, it is good to have someone to talk to about BSG. I'm almost as excited about the start of the new BSG season in July as I am for BB to begin. I haven't seen any promos yet for the new season maybe they aired yet.

Guest bcwms   
Guest bcwms

Rebekah thanks. Just saw something on Sci-Fi this weekend with President Rosiland behind bars and Colonel Tiegh declaring martial law. Matches what I read so far. Can't wait for the first episode! :D

Guest bcwms   
Guest bcwms

I too am a big fan of BB. Daughter says I need to get out more but why should I when I have so much to watch on CBS and Sci-Fi, and FX and ABC and etc :lol:

Guest Rebekah   
Guest Rebekah

Once BB starts and now the second season of BSG begins in July as well, I will be hard pressed to do anything other than work (damn how that gets in the way) and maybe eat. Looking forward to more discussions on BSG (and BB as well!) :lol:

All day Wed, Jul 6th, SciFi channel will be running Season 1 of Battlestar Galletica.

From the colonies to Kobol, see the first season of this hit series in one day.

Guest Rebekah   
Guest Rebekah

Thanks, Stargazer. I will either have to tape it or just miss out as I can't be home to watch it. LOVE the show, can't wait for the new season.