Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Amazingly Boring Race

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

echo

echo

• Pip
  • 2,320 posts
I find this reality show boring. It may not be the worst one TV, and I don't think the show is particularly bad. TAR is so repetitive, all episodes are cut together exactly the same, fast cuts with the same looping of high tension music, and then at the end of most episodes a team is eliminated. Hell, I swear each edit averages between 1-3 seconds; it gives the show a false sense of constant urgency, as if all the teams are always in a state of panic and might collapse at any second.

What I find somewhat humorous is that at the beginning of each leg, the teams RUSH out, sometimes hours ahead a few of other teams, but the producers always insert something into the leg that causes them the teams to pool back together and wait (ie for a plane at the airport, or for some business to open for the day)....Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I understand if they didn't restrict the race the teams might become days apart, and that would be just as boring (didn't NBC have a race show where that happened?). Pooling them all together in the middle of a leg simply gives the weaker teams a chance catch up. It punishes the stronger teams, giving the weaker teams the opportunity to recover from past mistakes.

Moksha

Moksha

• Pip
  • 382 posts
QUOTE(echo @ Apr 15 2006, 05:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but the producers always insert something into the leg that causes them the teams to pool back together and wait (ie for a plane at the airport, or for some business to open for the day)....

Truthfully, that doesn't happen as often as you'd like to think. It's only happened once this season, and they still had to find their OWN planes to where they were going, so not everybody arrived there at the same time anyways.

As for the rest, I personally think TAR is the better of the reality shows out. The only thing predictable about it is it's format. I'm sure the teams are 98% of the time in a constant state of panic, considering they're racing for a million dollars. In countries, that most of them have never been to. With language barriers, and very little money.

TAR's formatting is the same, but that's about it. All the people react differently, and bring out different emotions. Last season (well, I guess you could call the family edition a technical season) the Weavers were rarely ever "panicked". This season, people are rarely panicked. Just a few here and there when they screw up.

The cuts are so short, because they have to show what every other team is doing as well, and to do that, they need short cuts that describe their general mind state at the "time" we're seeing them.

TAR is the only reality show at the moment that can keep me interested. TA this year just sucks, it's way too predictable, Trump is way too grudge holding, and it just sucks. TAR is always fresh and new, besides the obvious formatting. But what fun would a TV show be if it had no formatting? It'd be complete and utter chaos.

Rejuvenated

Rejuvenated

• Pip
  • 1,784 posts
After reading TAR comments on several boards, boring seems to be the opinion for very few of those posting. Although it doesn't seem to be in the Nielsen Top 20 it did deliver CBS's highest rating in the time period among adults 18-34, adults 18-49 and adults 25-54 (with regularly-scheduled programming) since March 12, 2003 ("Star Search"). It seems that the show is taking a while to recover after the dismal performance of the Family Edition and the current time slot changes.

As for the bottlenecking at some points, it happens, plain and simple. TAR really doesn't have control of how often it happens. If the teams all leave the pit stop in the wee hours of the morning before a business opens, its because of the time they arrived there; not because the show wanted them all to be waiting outside the gate of the place that doesn't open til 8am. I did notice someone saying in the last leg when they opened their clue at the beginning of the leg that their plane tickets had already been purchased, thus putting them all on the same plane. That may have happened in the past but if it did, I don't remember it.

The casting does seem to be just that, casting. There is a formula for sure. I suppose its their attempt to make the show to appear to have a good cross section of the general population. At least it isn't the pretty people formula we see on some of these other shows. I had to laugh when I was reading one board, it was an article from early in the season that referred to Lake and Michelle as something like "the sophisticated" couple. HA! I guess sophistication only goes so far. If Lake was the best they could do, we might be in trouble. If they do in fact have a casting formula, and I had my choice to change any one category, it would be the two screeching females. That one wears out fast.

The one thing I noticed this season is the amount of time they are spending in each location. The show is half over and they haven't really traveled that much. Budget restrictions perhaps?

jenw_72

jenw_72

• Pip
  • 1,451 posts
I love TAR myself.And how they all eventually meet up by waiting for a business or plain bus etc etc does not happen all the time.But when it does I love it.It shuts the mouthy players up who think they are SO much better then the rest. laugh.gif

smoore360

smoore360

• Pip
  • 243 posts
TAR keeps me on the edge of my seat every time I watch it. I love the constant action, yet you still get a chance to get to know the teams. One little mistake and your favorite team can be eliminated. And a team can come from the bottom to the top in one leg. It's one of my favorite shows.

echo

echo

• Pip
  • 2,320 posts
Thankfully yes they do cast true middle class Americans we can relate to. I give them credit for doing that. I hate when reality shows include wannabe actors\celebrities looking for fame and fortune. I think the concept for TAR is great, but i just find each episode so redundant, they all have the exact same look and feel. Only difference is that a different team comes in last at the end of the episode. I guess what I find boring, the episodes being near carbon copies of each other in a different location, is what fans of the show find entertaining. I suspect the show is very popular with the over 50 crowd because there is very little about the show that is controversial. No sex, only mild conflict that is extremely brief (1-3 seconds clips). It's just a bunch of people running around in a panic for 42 minutes, and then somebody comes in last. It easily could pass the network censors back in the early 60s.

I would like to see the teams forced to interact with each other more. Direct faces off where they might choose to help or hinder each other. The reality shows I like are when people are forced to deal with each other, like Survivor, Big Brother, The Real World. I think it would be more interesting to watch the TAR teams interact between legs. I am sure they all stay in the same hotel.

kayo

kayo

Heroes/LOST Forum Host

• Pip
  • 4,326 posts
I personally really enjoy TAR for some of the reasons a recent poster just mentioned. I enjoy the various challenges, the travel, and the fact that their is enough drama to keep me interested without going over the top. I quit watching BB because I got sick of the soap operaish quality of the show- the back-biting, language, frank discussions about things I didn't care to listen to. There are other people on the boards who absolutely LOVE BB and dislike TAR...and that's ok! To each his own, as they say. I do agree that it is a bit formulaic, but then so is Survivor, TA, and the rest.

The only TAR season I disliked was last season's "family" one...if they went back to that, I just might quit watching.

echo

echo

• Pip
  • 2,320 posts
I think Kayo is probably right, TAR targets a completely different audience for the reason kayo stated. I know a lot of conservative\religious people don't like (hate) Big Brother and The Real World because language, sexual content, and other general edgy topics. TAR really goes after the Disney audience, not the people who want to watch R rated reality TV. That's fair. My grandmother faithfully watched Lawrence Welk every week for over 25 years, but I could never sit through an entire show. I don't think it was a bad show, just not a show that interested me.

What was so bad about the family edition? I only watched the first 1-2 episodes. Since I didn't add it to my Tivo's record schedule I never saw any more. As it is, if not for Tivo, I wouldn't have seen any of TAR this season. Often 2-3 episodes stack up before I get around to watching them; often FF through half the show simply to find out who gets eliminated. I'll admit I do feel they do an excellent job in casting the show, I like the TAR teams; they are nice people.

Moksha

Moksha

• Pip
  • 382 posts
QUOTE(echo @ Apr 16 2006, 02:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What was so bad about the family edition?

Where to start, lol. The problem with the family issue, for me, was the kids. While the kids (Gaghans) did help out and did act maturely throughout their entire place on TAR, they just slowed them down in a way. The kids were a problem, because then you could barely go out of the country. They left the country maybe once, and that was for just one episode. The rest of it was here in America. Like Utah, no offense to people in Utah, but it's not really THAT exciting in 3 second clips on the TV. I'd prefer they be in a place like Italy, or Rome, or even Mexico.

And then, there was the 4 people thing, just didn't sit well with me. Was just more bickering, and fighting. I didn't like the Weavers, but the mob mentality I didn't much care for either. The teams without kids weren't exactly your average family. Just, wasn't working for me. I don't think it was bad, but it wasn't the same TAR that got me hooked in Season 1. There were too many "open at 8's" I think like 98% of the entire race they had to wait until 6-8am for it to open BECAUSE there was kids. And no offense to the kids, but that's like dragging around dead weight, since they can't do much. It was just... too boring. They couldn't have real endurance, or lifting challenges because kids were there. I loved those Gaghan kids, they were great kids.. but the kids just made the season bad.

The reason I love TAR, is because it IS so fast paced. It keeps me entertained, without going over the top (most of the time, E&J were going way over the top when D&D were still around). People can go from first to last in just one mistake, and to me that's real excitement. It's not like shows like The Apprentice, where your past record holds more weight than your current loss, unless you lose huge.

mikede

mikede

• Pip
  • 2,662 posts
echo, is there a thread for a show you didnt go in andtell us why you dont like the show?? Maybe you are just tired of TV altogether .. ...

SamTheCat

SamTheCat

• Pip
  • 877 posts
QUOTE(echo @ Apr 15 2006, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suspect the show is very popular with the over 50 crowd because there is very little about the show that is controversial. No sex, only mild conflict that is extremely brief (1-3 seconds clips). It's just a bunch of people running around in a panic for 42 minutes, and then somebody comes in last. It easily could pass the network censors back in the early 60s.

I would like to see the teams forced to interact with each other more. Direct faces off where they might choose to help or hinder each other. The reality shows I like are when people are forced to deal with each other, like Survivor, Big Brother, The Real World. I think it would be more interesting to watch the TAR teams interact between legs. I am sure they all stay in the same hotel.

I think this show's supposed to be one of those 'competitions' where you're racing against other teams but the greatest 'battle' is with yourself, rather than being one of those power/influence games that mimics office politics. The social experiment is how will people do in unfamiliar surroundings when they're stripped of their ability to communicate with locals due to a language barrier? Will people be able to function in foreign and chaotic environments? Who will implode if challenged to skydive one minute then look for a clue hidden in a haystack the next?

There's all those elements everybody's already mentioned like the travel and the people, but there's also the 'triumph over adversity' element that rewards patience, determination, optimism, and courage over sheer force of will - I'm guessing people who like to have control over everybody and everything in their environment might hate the show for this reason because it brings all their worst fears to the surface (?)

echo

echo

• Pip
  • 2,320 posts
QUOTE(SamTheCat @ Apr 16 2006, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The social experiment is how will people do in unfamiliar surroundings when they're stripped of their ability to communicate with locals due to a language barrier? Will people be able to function in foreign and chaotic environments? Who will implode if challenged to skydive one minute then look for a clue hidden in a haystack the next?

Interesting.... I shall give it some thought.

Rejuvenated

Rejuvenated

• Pip
  • 1,784 posts
I don't need to wait to hear anyone else decision on what you wrote cat, I think you spelled it out very well.
I totally agree.

echo

echo

• Pip
  • 2,320 posts
QUOTE(mikede @ Apr 16 2006, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
echo, is there a thread for a show you didnt go in andtell us why you dont like the show?? Maybe you are just tired of TV altogether .. ...

I put thought into my comments before I write them. I don't simply bash shows because I don't like them. If I don't watch a show occasionally, I don't comment on it. I read what people have to say, and think about their comments. You've been around a while and surely you know the difference between my posts and those who trash a show to piss people\fans off. Certainly I do bring a little controversy in some of my comments, what fun would it be if we all sat around and agree with each other all the time.

mikede

mikede

• Pip
  • 2,662 posts
oh i know. i was just giving you a hard time.

my issue with the amazing race is the editing of dialog. They really stretch it to the limits of believeable. like they are trying real hard with the editing to make a storyline

SamTheCat

SamTheCat

• Pip
  • 877 posts
QUOTE(Rejuvenated @ Apr 16 2006, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't need to wait to hear anyone else decision on what you wrote cat, I think you spelled it out very well.
I totally agree.

Yay, thanks juvi! One out of two biggrin.gif

Although it is kind of weird the way the person with the phobia always ends up confronting it on the show . . . the person afraid of drowning ends up in the pool, the person afraid of heights does the bungee jump - sometimes maybe the producers do get a little too heavy-handed trying to whip up a frenzy dry.gif

DeadMidgetWalking

DeadMidgetWalking

• Pip
  • 394 posts
Would OP rather see 10 hours footage of them waiting in an airport? biggrin.gif .... and I like the equalizers, you never know when they're gonna happen and gives you a chance to get back in it if you make a mistake.

It's a great show. I've seen every season and I've enjoyed TAR 9 the most.

zoomer

zoomer

• Pip
  • 85 posts
QUOTE(smoore360 @ Apr 15 2006, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TAR keeps me on the edge of my seat every time I watch it. I love the constant action, yet you still get a chance to get to know the teams. One little mistake and your favorite team can be eliminated. And a team can come from the bottom to the top in one leg. It's one of my favorite shows.

You took the words right out of my mouth! The 'Race" is truly 'Amazing'.

GO4it

GO4it

• Pip
  • 92 posts
TAR is what it is. You root for those you like and against those you don't.

The only thing I can see that needs a bit of a tweak is the timing of legs and penalties. If somebody reaches a shrine that opens at 5:00 am 30 minutes later than the previous pair, they should have to wait 30 minutes.

Rob and Amber got ripped the same way. No plane gets brought back to the gate just because a couple of passengers beg to get on.

On the whole though it is fun to watch. I enjoy seeing spots I have been to myself.

I have been to that crosswalk in Shibuya. The crowd that waits to cross and then all move at once is unreal. Not too many seemed to know that Hachiko was the dog and not the guy in the scarf. LOL

PS: I didn't like the hippise all that much at the start but they sort of grow on you after a while. Anybody except MoJo or the frat boys would have been fine by me to win.

jenw_72

jenw_72

• Pip
  • 1,451 posts
I was excited that the hippys won.I have loved every season of TAR except that family edition.I just wish they would show what all goes on at the pit stop.I know there must be some kind of interactions between the teams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users