Sign in to follow this  
ART VAN DELAY

Smallville (includes SPOILERS)

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE...DO NOT QUOTE

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Episode 5.19: Mercy

Airdate: April 20, 2006

• masked tormentor (guest star Ian Tracey) takes Lionel hostage and orchestrates a series of elaborate games that Lionel must win in order to stay alive. After Clark tells Martha that Lionel knows his secret, she sets out to confront him, but inadvertently becomes a pawn in the tormentor

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATECOOLER

Smallville

by Bettina Charles

April 13, 2006: Fragile

OK, this time I made sure I was home, so hiccups like last week's recording debacle wouldn't happen again, and wouldn't you know it, it's Tom Welling's directorial debut. (Pretend the bold and italics accurately mimic the voice-over guy's overly dramatic intro to the show, 'cause that's all I got.) Welling only had to work with a teen who could shatter glass, a dog (Shelby), beaucoup de special effects, and a Lana and Lex kiss, all while managing to direct himself

SPOILER ALERT....HIGHLIGHT TO SEE...DO NOT QUOTE

Episode 5.19: Mercy

Airdate: April 20, 2006

• 04/13 - "I was recently in a water tank all day," [Annette] O'Toole reports. "Martha and Lionel were being tortured, and I felt like I was in a terrarium. They built this 12-foot-high tank, and I was standing in various levels of water until it finally went over my head. Lionel was playing some kind of game with the tormentor, so it was sort of a combination of 'Saw' and something like 'The Matrix.' It's fun having done it, but while you're doing it, not so much." Source: Zap2it

Episode 5.20: Fade

Airdate: April 27, 2006

• 04/10 - While in Metropolis, Clark saves the life of a stranger named Graham (guest star), who vows to repay Clark for his kindness. Unfortunately, Graham happens to be a hit man with the ability to cloak himself, and he decides killing Lex would be the best gift he could give Clark. Meanwhile, Clark confronts Lana about her relationship with Lex. Erica Durance, Allison Mack, John Glover and Annette O

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Smallville

April 20, 2006: Mercy

Not that bad an episode, I must say. It was appropriately creepy: Clark and Mama Kent came clean to each other about Lionel knowing the truth about Clark's identity and there was loads of Lionel and Martha action. There was even a little quality Lex-Clark time (being somewhat civil to each other, that is). Plus, I totally dug how Clark stepped up to Lionel at the end. He was very menacing and he achieved this level of intensity without being under the influence of any sort of bad kryptonite. Bravo, Clark. Bravo.

It wasn't too hard to guess who the masked man was. Speaking of the mask, didn't it look part Dr. Doom and part aluminum lid of a Jiffy Popcorn container? Just saying. Anyway, from what I understand, "Mercy" was kind of Saw-like in nature. I really wouldn't know. I have never seen the movie nor will I ever see the movie. I'm not being pretentious or anything, I'm just a total wuss when it comes to all things horror-fied on the big screen. Seriously, remind me to tell you exactly which big-time flicks I have never seen. And didn't Lionel's work phone call at the beginning of the episode seem like one of Donald Trump's seemingly faux "I'm doing big billion-dollar business in the back of my limo on my way to an important billion-dollar business meeting" scenes on The Apprentice?

"Thank you, son."

"He's the kind of son a father could be proud of."

"I only want what's best for you, son."

Lionel keeps referring to Clark as "son." He seems to speak about Clark with much more affection than he does about Lex. What's the deal? Do all roads lead back to Jorel? Remind me why I like Lionel when he's such a bad dude and an even worse father. But I'm so willing to cut him some slack when he offers to sacrifice himself for Martha and her family's secret. I don't trust him, but I want to. Especially since I definitley see sparks between John Glover and Annette O'Toole. I hope I'm not betraying Jonathan/John Schneider when I say that. But Clark is probably right not to fall for Lionel's selfless act. The ending with the elder Luthor writhing in pain and writing something down only made me say "huh?" for like the zillionth time this season.

Finally, when Clark stopped Martha and Lionel's elevator free fall, I thought that was just the coolest scene. Lionel seeing Martha's son using his superstrength; the camera zooming in on Clark's face and then showing Lionel's "even though I knew about your powers, I'm still shocked to see you in action" reaction. Loved it. The jury's out on Lana and Lex's chess-game conversation, though. I just can't figure out if I want these two together.

Posted by: Tina Charles 04/21/2006 12:15 PM

Episode 5.22: Vessel (Season finale)

Airdate: May 11, 2006

• 04/21 - In the fifth-season finale, Clark's Kryptonian origins sow seeds of sorrow and destruction on Earth as forces affecting Lex, Lionel, Lana and Clark are set in motion, culminating in the moment for which all his trials have prepared him. Source: TV Guide Online
  • 04/19 - Martha [will be on the plane with Lois.] Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide

Episode 5.22: Vessel (Season finale)

Airdate: May 11, 2006

• 04/25 - Brainiac (guest star James Marsters) unleashes a deadly virus, which will kill millions of people, and refuses to give Clark the vaccine unless he agrees to release General Zod. Clark turns to Lionel, who once again channels Jor-El. Meanwhile, Lex is stunned by his newfound powers and shares the discovery with Lana, who decides to stand by her new man, unaware of the shocking turn Lex

Smallville

by Bettina Charles

May 4, 2006: Oracle

This one pretty much sets up next week's season finale, so although I can't say that it was thoroughly exciting, I also can't say that I didn't like it. I guess you could say it was fine. Or maybe, Fiiiine? Yes, James Marsters made another appearance, but it didn't happen until 25 minutes into the episode! Half the time he looked like Bo Duke, for heaven's sake. Even though it was great to see John Schneider, here's the thing: If you have Marsters on your roster, just use him. I think it'd even be OK if you overuse him. Because I feel like he's been just simmering for the entire season, with short bursts of Brainiac energy here and there. You certainly don't want him taking over the show that belongs to Clark and Lex, but sprinkling a little extra dash of Spike here and there never hurts.

Clark's "surprise" birthday was kinda lame: It was just Mama Kent, Chloe and Lois. I know it's his first b-day without his father, but still. Clark needs a new friend in a big and bad way. He needs to expand his horizons just a tad. Poor Pete has been banished; there's gotta be another male whom Clark isn't destined to be enemies with out there

Smallville

by Bettina Charles

May 11, 2006: Vessel (Yay!)/Aqua (Boo!)

The Smallville season finale was better than a lot of the episodes this season, thankfully. It was kinda Superman II-ish with the whole "Zod is coming" business, all the chaos in the streets and the (future) superhero being unable to stop the pandemonium because he's indisposed. By the end of the episode, Lex/Zod (L-Zod) was kissin' Lana at the top of Luthor Towers, Martha and Lois were passed out on a plane piloted by one of the multiple Miltons, Chloe and Lionel were human loot for the rioters, and Clark was trapped in the Phantom Zone. To be continued on the CW network this fall.

Lex vs. Clark: Remember when it was Lex and Clark? Ahhh, good times. Now it's Lex versus Clark (I know, like it was meant to be) as the two former best buds are just about firmly planted on opposite sides of the morality fence. I liked the confrontation between them in the barn. It was all shadowy and moody, plus Lex had some super keen powers to match Clark's. Didn't you just love it when the two took care of all that tension between them by flinging each other to and fro with their manly man strength? Of course I'm not understanding how Clark's knife (the one Jor-El gave him) opened up the portal to free Zod once he stabbed Fiiiine with it. Why was it that Lex had to get the powers before Zod was able to enter his body? I don't think I was ever meant to connect the dots on this show. Sometimes I just skip logic and go straight to pretending to understand what is going on. The end result was not ambiguous: Zod took over Lex's body and used him as a vessel. Not a bad vessel to be had if one has to be had. Although I do so wish that instead of hearing Terence Stamp we got to see Terence Stamp. No, I won't let that go.

Lex and Lana: Now I think their bond is a little over-the-top, unhealthy and more than slightly soap opera, but the scene where SuperLex shot the gun right into his hand was cool. Lex did what Clark could never do and that was to tell Lana the truth about his gifts. (I still feel that Clark's not telling the woman he loves the truth was weak and more of a "for the sake of the plot" kind of thing.) Was that a look of disgust that Lana had on her face when she first realized the truth about the new and improved Lex? She got over it quick by telling him that Clark was out to get him. And when did Lana become "Max" on Dark Angel? While Chloe was busy getting picked apart by the rioters, Lana put the smackdown on one shortly before her twisted An Affair to Remember/Sleepless in Seattle moment with her current beau on the roof of the Luthor Towers.

L-Zod: Just consider Lex and Zod... bad and badder. I totally dug Michael Rosenbaum's version of Zod

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE....DO NOT QUOTE

General Season 6 Spoilers:

05/17 - Al Gough reveals: The theme [of Season 6] is the rise of Lex Luthor. You're definitely going to see the more ruthless Lex Luthor you know from the comic books really start to emerge. The season will also be about the corruption of good

SPOILER ALERT....HIGHLIGHT TO SEE

Smallville airs on The WB on Thursdays at 8 p.m. The CW has renewed the series for a 6th season and will leave the show in its current timeslot.

Episode 6.01: Zod

Airdate: Fall 2006

• [7/01 - Casting notices for the role of "Jimmy Olsen" have gone out for the season premiere! "Secretagentman" has revealed that Smallville's Jimmy Olsen is in his twenties. He is described as "adorable" and pesters Chloe for a dinner date until she finally gives in. Apparently they'd interacted in the past and each thought the other wasn't interested. The casting breakdowns imply that the character will recur throughout the season. It also says that Jimmy nicknames Clark "C.K.," which is a trait originated with Michael Landes' Jimmy Olsen in Lois & Clark. Nam-Ek and Aethyr (from "Arrival") WILL be seen again, but the roles ARE being recast. The role of the President is also being cast for the episode. Casting notices have also gone out for the role of a character named "Raya," whom "Secretagentman" reveals was an assistant of Jor-El's who helps Clark get out of the Phantom Zone. It sounds as though Raya will give Clark a crystal that will help him to stop Lex/Zod. Source: KryptonSite

Episode 6.02: Sneeze

• 07/08 - Title is from KryptonSite.

Episode 6.03: Wither

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK AUSIELLO

Question: Any preseason scoop on Smallville?

• 07/14 - "Secretagentman" strikes again with some spoilage: One of the characters being cast for the episode is "Orlando Block," an unbalanced commando who kidnaps Lex. Initially it seems he is torturing Lex to learn all his secrets, but actually he is the employee of a mysterious mastermind. Source: KryptonSite

07/08 - Title is from KryptonSite.

Episode 6.04: Arrow

• 07/21 - [The] TV Guide's July 24 edition [reveals that] DC Comics character of Oliver Queen, better known to fans as Green Arrow, will be making an appearance in Smallville for a story arc that will go for "at least seven episodes." "He will start to form the nascent Justice League," Smallville executive producer Alfred Gough tells TV Guide in this week's issue. "He's trying to find like-minded people with special powers and put a more formal structure in place." The article goes on to say that Clark will initially be wary of Green Arrow, much like he was when future characters such as the Flash or Aquaman showed up in previous seasons. "Ultimately Clark will see the value of what he is trying to do," Gough says. "But as he's gotten older, Clark has become more cautious. He will always be there to help out, but he doesn't want to be part of a formalized organization." Just as big as the announcement of the character is the casting - Justin Hartley, who played the role of AC/Aquaman in Millar & Gough's Aquaman pilot will be playing the role of Ollie. TV Guide also reveals that Lois Lane will take a romantic interest in the emerald archer. Source: KryptonSite
  • 07/21 - Title is from KryptonSite.

Episode 6.05: Subterranean

07/21 - Title is from KryptonSite.

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Smallville's Lois Gets a New "Bow"

by Michael Maloney

060727insider2.jpg

Smallville's Erica Durance

Erica Durance's Lois Lane is getting a superhero boyfriend this fall on CW's Smallville (premiering Sept. 28 at 8 pm/ET). And while he's tall and handsome, you'll never see him wearing a red cape.

The future "Daily Planet" reporter will be paired with Oliver Queen (aka Green Arrow), to be played by Justin Hartley, who starred as Aquaman in the Smallville spin-off pilot that CW opted not to pick up for the 2006-07 season. "I haven't met him yet," Durance says, "but it's lovely that [they found a Smallville role for him]."

Will Oliver's arrows puncture Lois and Clark's forever-budding relationship?

"I'm the actress, not the writer, talking, but I think Lois being with Green Arrow will make Clark search through some of his feelings and make him ask himself why he feels that way," previews Durance.

The actress theorizes that putting Lois and Clark together in a full-blown romance potentially could harm their on-screen pizzazz faster than a chunk of gold kryptonite would wilt Superman's extraordinary abilities. "I think [the powers that be] would have to figure out how many years the show is going to go," she muses. "Then they can map out how far they can bring Lois [and Clark's relationship] along."

In other words, Durance would prefer not to see Lois and Clark go the way of Moonlighting's Dave and Maddie. (Remember how flat-out boring those private eyes became after falling into bed?) "Watching characters dance around each other and bait each other and not quite fall into sentimental love is interesting for me to see," she says. "What is also interesting for me to see is these two fighting with each other and finding out why they love each other."

Still, we all know

• 07/29 - Gough told The Continuum that Oliver won't be wearing his costume from the comics. "Although there will be a nod to it in episode three during a costume party," he said. Source: Comics Continuum
  • 07/29 - The latest from "Secretagentman": There's a character named Gloria who is a "naturally beautiful" park ranger investigating some weird happenings inthe woods. A young couple is "frolicking" in the woods, and they are dragged away and left barely alive. Lois Lane barges into Oliver Queen's office. Lex hosts a costume party. Clark tries to dance with Gloria and a lumberjack "growls" at him. Source: KryptonSite

Smallville's New Super Friends

by Rich Sands

060803insider1.jpg

Tom Welling, Smallville

Clark Kent may be more powerful than a locomotive, but even a Superman can

• 08/01 - Just heard that there

Smallville: The Scoop on Jimmy Olsen!

by Michael Maloney

060810insider2.jpg

Smallville's Aaron Ashmore

Chloe, according to lore, may never land the Man of Steel, but she just might woo his best friend. Aaron Ashmore (n

Courtey of: SPOILERFIX

• 08/06 - According to C121HAINS, Orlando Block is apparently being played by Lochlyn Munro of Charmed and Freddy vs. Jason fame. In a warehouse lab, Block tries to give Lana some kind of serum, but Lex intervenes. (Apparently Lana may be abducted too). A fire starts. Clark runs out of the energy to super speed at some point. Lana calls Chloe for help; Block pulls a gun on her. Source: KryptonSite
Episode 6.04: Arrow

• 08/06 - According to Secretagentman: There is a scientist in this episode named Dr. Groll who is helping Lex figure out the aspects of a mysterious black box. Dr. Groll doesn't trust Lana, and he initiates a plot to see how loyal she is to Lex. Lois writes an article for the Inquisitor about the failings of a company called Safetec. A Safetec security officer named Milo furiously hires a thug to kidnap and interrogate her. Source: KryptonSite

Episode 6.05: Subterranean

• 08/18 - There are some immigrants being exploited at a farm that neighbors the Kent Farm. A teenage boy escapes and is rescued by Clark. Clark investigates the farm and finds many of the immigrants are being used there as slaves. Lionel and a doctor have a chat about a mysterious patient's condition. Source: secretagentman via KryptonSite

Episode 6.06: Reunion

• 08/18 - We'll learn that Oliver Queen (aka Green Arrow) and Lex went to boarding school together, and OQ was somewhat of a bully to him. And Lex, of course, isn't the kind of guy to forgive and forget. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide
  • 08/18 - The "reunion" in question for this episode is a reunion between Lex Luthor and Oliver Queen, and the show has flashbacks to their days in boarding school. Source: KryptonSite

General Season 6 Spoilers:

08/18 - Lex and Lana continue to get closer this season and, as a result, the gloves will be off with Lex and Clark. Jimmy and Chloe will meanwhile reconnect for the first time since they hooked up during their summer working together at the "Planet." Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide

Smallville's Chloe, You Got Us Mail!

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060824insider1.jpg

Allison Mack, Smallville

A few weeks ago, a TVGuide.com freelancer ran into Smallville's Erica Durance at the TCA Fall Press Tour, and subsequently submitted an Insider teasing Lois' upcoming "thing" with Oliver Queen (aka Green Arrow). Immediately our e-mail inbox began overflowing with, no, not fan mail for Lois' portrayer, but missives from steadfast supporters of original cast member Allison Mack, asking that Chloe's portrayer be given her due. Well, Mack Attackers, you're not getting a Q&A with your fave. You're getting two, the first of which looks at the rivalry among the women in Clark Kent's life, the mind-bending "Chlois" theory, and Ms. Mack's inexcusable absence from the CW network's fall ad campaign.

TVGuide.com: Allison, I need you to help me out with my e-mail!

Allison Mack: OK....

TVGuide.com: After posting a story about Erica, my inbox was inundated with fans asking that I give Allison Mack her due.

Mack: Awww....

TVGuide.com: So I told your groupies that my No. 1 priority for this new Smallville season (premiering Sept. 28) was to Q&A you.

Mack: My "groupies... " [Laughs] I think because Chloe is such a computer nerd, I attract fans who are very computer-savvy.

TVGuide.com: That would make sense. Does this whole "Chloe vs. Lois vs. Lana" rivalry thing translate into any on-set tension among the actresses?

Mack: Not at all. In fact, I don't see it as being any sort of rivalry on the show, even. The three characters are so different and they all want such different things. I mean, there is a friendly competition now that Lois has started writing for "The Inquisitor," but it's really very slight.

TVGuide.com: This is where you tell me that you, Erica and Kristin Kreuk are "the bestest of friends...."

Mack: We are. I'm sorry to disappoint you! [Laughs]

TVGuide.com: And you three go out for manicures every week.

Mack: Well, we do things with a little more depth than going out for manicures, but yeah, we spend a lot of time together.

TVGuide.com: I've always been curious about this: Obviously Chloe is not represented in the original Superman mythology, and lore tells us that Clark ends up with Lois, so how do you delve into your character? How do you commit yourself to "driving it home" week after week?

Mack: Well, I've been playing Chloe for six years now, so she's sort of second nature to me, for sure. [smallville creators] Al [Gough] and Miles [Millar] and the writing staff are incredibly open to my ideas about the development of the character and how she can grow, things like that, so it's a team effort in building her. We all collaborate at the beginning of each season, and then work on her growth as the show goes on.

TVGuide.com: Do Al and Miles ever need to reassure you, "Don't give up the fight"? "We'll always play Chloe-Clark," that sort of thing?

Mack: They don't need to, because it's obvious that the character is imperative to the show, especially now that she knows Clark's secret. It's really not about reassuring me so much as it is about being creatively excited about making her evolve.

TVGuide.com: Besides, what are you supposed to do, fly around the Earth so fast it turns time back to a point where Jerry Siegel can include Chloe from the get-go?

Mack: Yeah, exactly!

TVGuide.com: Let's talk about "Chlois"

Courtey of: SPOILERFIX

Episode 6.06: Reunion

• 08/26 - Flashbacks, taking place at Excelsior Academy, will show 15-year-old Lex and his best friend Duncan, a greasy-haired comic book lover. As they enjoy talks about comic books, both teens are tormented by a 16-year-old Oliver and two of his bully friends. After finding dish to possibly control Oliver, Lex wants to order him to act as if they are friends so he and Duncan get more respect or he'll tell the school's higher heads. Duncan would prefer going to the headmaster asap so that Oliver and his friends are expelled. A fight between the two friends ensues, which seems to lead to a tragedy. In the present, it's the 10-year reunion of Lex's class at Excelsior. Lex is accompanied by Lana and Oliver brings Lois. Oliver's two bully friends are there as well. Duncan is present but he is not the same he was before the tragedy, especially since he was treated with a fluorescent green liquid... The reunion will be tainted with blood and bruises. Source: SpoilerFix.com

Allison Mack, Part 2: Kiss and Tell

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060907insider1.jpg

Smallville's Tom Welling and Allison Mack

In Part 1 of TVGuide.com's "You Asked for It" Q&A with Allison Mack,(EDIT:see below) the Smallville star weighed in on her supporters' mind-bending "Chlois" theory, as well as her absence from the CW network's fall ad campaign. Here, your patience in waiting for Part 2 is rewarded with Mack's take on The Kiss, the "new" Clark, and the A-list beauty she thinks is supercool.

TVGuide.com: Let's talk about The Kiss, the scorching lip-lock Chloe planted on Clark in the season finale. Do they talk about it as the new season begins [on Sept. 28]?

Allison Mack: It's mentioned in the first episode, but Chloe is pretty determined to not be in a relationship with Clark right now, just because of the dynamic of their friendship. If they tried to mix romance in with all of the other heaviness that they have going on in their relationship, it wouldn't be sustainable.

TVGuide.com: So is there awkwardness? Does anyone go back for seconds?

Mack: No, no, no one goes back for seconds. [Laughs] There definitely is, though, an awkwardness to their relationship for quite some time after

Airdate: September 28, 2006

• 09/07 - Allison Mack reveals: [The kiss between Chloe and Clark in the season finale] is mentioned in the first episode, but Chloe is pretty determined to not be in a relationship with Clark right now, just because of the dynamic of their friendship. If they tried to mix romance in with all of the other heaviness that they have going on in their relationship, it wouldn't be sustainable. There definitely is, though, an awkwardness to their relationship for quite some time after

Airdate: September 28, 2006

• 09/11 - Thrown into the Phantom Zone, a Kryptonian jail created by Jor-El, Clark finds himself without powers and surrounded by revenge-seeking criminals sent away by his father. Meanwhile, having taken over Lex