Realplayer - Help/Discussion Thread

That is really bizzare.

I would almost think you had 'goback' software on you computer, and it was restoring it to it's last saved pre-sets .. except it usually doesn't go back an entire year.

The only thing I have heard of besides goback software doing that is a virus ..

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dark_fairy

Thank you so much!!! :D

Another thing, since this problem happend my virus protector (AVG Anti-Virus free version) has given me this error that says:

"Could not initialize AVG anit-virus kernel interface. Application cannot run"

So I can't even scan my computer for a virus.

When i restart my computer i get a pop-up box that says:

".NETframework initialization error contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .NETframework."

What is .NETframework?

The critics call RealPlayer one of the worst viruses you can get. It doesn't completely uninstall, it stores info in your system registry and just generally makes a mess of things. The new name and account should help, I had to sign-up as a new customer too because they couldn't change my account into what I ordered. Great isn't it... :evil:

You should be OK, if not, call them and see if they can help. The rep I spoke to (who makes $ .37 per hour and speaks very good English) was very helpful.

I think quicktime is the worse virus disguised as a video player :)

I'd just recommend you to uninstall AVG and reinstall it.

Did you do something earlier in the day that might have caused the error? like deleting files because you were curious? Just checking :)

Guest dark_fairy

So signing into my new name should put things back to normal?

No i have not done anything today that would have caused this. All i did was sign in with my new name to the RealPlayer account and paid.

Will this happen to my other computer if i try to sign into my new name? I had Real Player on both computers last year, I "deleted" Real Player on both computers last year.

Do i have to install the real player 10? last year i had the realOne player.

How do i get back to my desktop from this year?

My computer is living in last year, it's very frustrating.

Just now I installed the new version of real player and it said, an old version has been detected it must be deleted first. So i did that will that help?

When my computer restarts it says:

"Cannot find a devise file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application. gckernel.vxd, and msgamio.vxd"

what are those names?

Usually when someone asks me this stuff, I just say, bring me your computer and I'll have it back to you tomorrow.

#1, call realplayer

#2 when you start your computer, does it say the cmos battery is low?

#3 right click on you clock, (bottom right hand) set it to todays date. Kinda useless information there but who knows whats on your computer.

are there any different messages when you reboot your PC?

I do not know all the technical terms to use when describing certian things on a computer, but I am deffinately a vetran when it comes to having major computer melt downs, and trying to fix them .. most of my knowledge comes from experience ..

So I apologize if my attempts at help in this thread offend any tech geeks out there .. :)

I like to think that I know more than the average person about some computer stuff .. but if you don't know the right terms for stuff people sometimes look at you funny. :)

Usually you get into system set up by either hitting f1, of tab when your system loads. When it loads up .. the prompts will be on the bottom of one of the first screens before you see the windows logo...It's f1 on mine.

Hope that helps. :)

Guest dark_fairy

Boy i sure wish you had my puter in your hands right now too!! I am very good at following instructions and i know my way around a computer any advice you have i will try.

I signed into my new realplayer name and everything is good, I just need my computer to come back to my settings for this year.

Could my problem be a virus?

I complusively update my virus deffinitons .. a good habbit I think for everyone to have ..

Even doing that though it's gonna miss some stuff. It's just the nature of the beast ..

So just as a general note to whomever reads this thread, make sure you don't open emails, file attachments, or download any files from people from which the source is not known.

Do you have a go-back software? Or some sort of system mantience program which updates your registry? I'd recomend you run those ... after the virus scan.

Will i be able to get my computer back how it was or will this take a real computer guy to fix it?

Have you changes the system time and re-started you computer yet?

Guest dark_fairy

No i don't have a "go back software" Yes I have changed the time and stuff and restarted but it said todays date.

I have Ad-Aware by lavasoft it's free. I get quite a few ad ware/spy ware that i quarrintine before i delete would that have anything to do with it? I NEVER open any emails i dont know and i never open attachments!!

Do you have a cd writer? if you have one, save any info on a cd that you'd say is critical. You could always format your hard drive and start from scratch.

Or

run your windows 98 CD, that helps in some situations.

Guest dark_fairy

i dont have a cd writer.

what would putting my windows cd in do for my computer? would it mean i would lose all my programs?

Don't quarantine for now on, just delete.

Putting your windows CD in wouldn't start your computer from scratch, Try to reinstall it, sometimes it makes your computer work faster, I do it once a month. It might replace a file that was lost but it's hard to tell from here.

Squirel is suggesting that you back up all your critical data .. cause if something is really wrong with your computer, the only way to 'fix' it might be to erase you drive, and reinstall windows..

Although I have been told by tech support before to try to just reinstall windows without wiping the drive to see if that fixes the problem ..

If it doesn't .. you may need to erase it all and start over .. but either way, it's best to back up all info you don't want to lose before you start playing with that stuff.

Guest dark_fairy

so if i put the cd in it WILL NOT start my computer from scratch it would just replace any lost files? what does it do for your puter when you do it every month? will it ask fir any ID numbers or will it do it on its own?

if i put the windows cd in will i click the same steps just like if it was not already installed? or do i have to repair something instead of just installing it like it was the first time?

Ok ..

First things first.

change the time on your clock on your system tray.. and restart your computer

If that doesn't work ..

try changing your system time setting in bios.

No need to reinstall windows, or erase anything if you can fix it doing this first. :)

I'll be waiting for when you get back ..

Well, I forgot I have this computer's clock set 10 minutes ahead of time so i am back. It was just a halloween episode anyways.

Are you running windows 98 regular or SE? I have the code for SE

have you saved all of you files on your computer that you want to?

It's not a good idea to start playing with reinstalling windows if you don't have it backed up ..

:-/

Archived