Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds
Photo

Andy Griffith Show

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

salter-path

salter-path

Columnist

• Pip
  • 1,415 posts
I saw an Andy Griffith episode recently that Jack Dodson (aka Howard Sprague) played an insurance agent named "Ed". In this particular episode Aunt Bea filed a claim for a brooch that she ultimatety found in a pocket.
This episode was very confusing to me because I had always thought that Jack Dodson had always been Howard on the show. Do you know when the character Howard Sprague began on The Andy Griffith Show? And, was there ever another actor in this role?

morty

morty

(Well, You Know....)

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 2,464 posts
Jack Dodson started in the role of Howard Sprague in the sixth season in an episode called "The County Clerk," where Andy and Helen try to play matchmaker for Howard, but his mother wants to keep him close to home (and to her).

In 1962, Howard McNear who played the barber, Floyd Lawson, had a stroke. By 1964 he was able to talk again and Andy thought it would be getting him working again. McNear couldn't stand very well, so you'll notice that he's usually sitting in the barber chair, or his car (BTW, in the episode where Goober runs a contest at the fillin' station, and you see Floyd drive away from the pumps, if you look carefully, you can see the tow line that pulls the car, as McNear couldn't drive any more). So the point is, they needed some new townspeople. They added Jack Dodson, and later (1967) Paul Hartman as the fix-it man Emmett Clark.

Dodson and Hartman would go on to appear in "Mayberry RFD." Hartman died in 1973, and Dodson in 1994.

-M

salter-path

salter-path

Columnist

• Pip
  • 1,415 posts
Thank you Morty. I knew you would know:-) I have one more question for ya. How do you know all of this stuff? Seriously, How?

morty

morty

(Well, You Know....)

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 2,464 posts
QUOTE(salter-path @ Apr 4 2006, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you Morty. I knew you would know:-) I have one more question for ya. How do you know all of this stuff? Seriously, How?

When I was a little kid I had the most amazing memory. I could go to a movie and later be able to recite about 75% of it. I didn’t get to many movies, we were a “no-frills” household, but I watched plenty of TV. My father worked alternating shifts, one week day-work, next week night-work, while he was on night-work I picked the TV channels. My dad liked some of the same shows I did, and I liked his, but the main problem watching TV with dad was that you did more listening than watching because his fat butt was always blocking the view as he insisted he could tune it in better to get a clearer picture on our Muntz TV. But I digress....

I liked reading the credits too, and I’d notice how various writers names would turn up on different series. While I was reading the credits, my mom always read both the Philadelphia Inquirer and Evening Bulletin from front to back, everyday. I’d be watching “Bewitched” and say, “Hey, where’s Alice Pearce (the first Gladys Kravitz)?” and my mom would say, “Oh that’s so sad, she has cancer and had to quit.” I was amazed at the things my mother knew, because she just wasn’t the TV fan I was.

We never had magazines or TV Guide in the house, but I read the entertainment sections of the two newspapers and the info just stuck in my head. Then came middle school and the school was overcrowded (too many of us baby-boomers). The school was on split sessions and I didn’t have to go in until after lunch. This gave me the opportunity to watch re-runs of old shows on daytime TV, you see there was no Judge Judy, or Springer, there was “I Love Lucy” and “Pete & Gladys.” And I’d still be home in time for Steve Allen, Merv Griffin, or Mike Douglas. These people would have the guests stay and talk for the whole hour, not just a five minute chat like Letterman does. You’d really get to know the guests and those shows got all the stars of the day.

If you’ve ever seen the series “Dream On,” I’ve always related to Brian Benben’s Martin Tupper character (without the great sex life). Every time someone says a line that coincidently was in a show I can see the TV or movie scene in my head. It can be very distracting at times (yes, I have voices in my head, they say “Lucy.... You’ve got some splaining to do.” ) and I sometimes laugh at inappropriate times.

Now, I’ve become very absent-minded and my eyesight is pretty poor. I can remember the older stuff (classic TV), but I’m using the IMdb and Google more and more. I still remember enough to know exactly where to look.

When I first started writing about old TV in the 1980's, there wasn’t many people like me. Nickelodeon started making money on classic TV that was just intended to be overnight filler. Where hundreds of other stations had run shows like “Mister Ed,” and “The Donna Reed Show,” Nick at Nite told us these shows were important and special, and the rerun craze began.

Then Nick at Nite started telling the little bits of info that had been my stock and trade. Now all these tid-bits and stories are well documented and duplicated on web sites all over the net and it’s getting harder and harder to dazzle people with my useless information.

LLMVT

LLMVT

• Pip
  • 74 posts
Hello Morty,
I can relate to your story on many levels. As the only child of a single mom i remember vividly the hours spent in front of the TV and memorizing the directors names of my favorite cartoons..Robert McKimson (sp?) for example and the characters names such as Mortimer the Orange monster and one of my favorite cartoons : the one where the Bulldog--(5pts to whomever guesses his name ) adopts a small black kitten and then thinks the kitten has been made into a cookie....anyone remember that one yet? how about the kitten kneading and scratching the dogs back until she finally lays down on the small of the dogs back...remeber it now? oh well...like i said i was so overjoyed when we first got cable and the brown box with the lever on the side that allowed you to get 2 extra levels of channels....smile.gif
While i am in no way near your league for remembering the names....i am a tried and true TV and Movie fan who feels it is my mission to see EVERYTHING.....That makes my finding this site so great. Keep up the great work and i would love it if you would post a little quiz sometime. Something along the lines of name the movie or tv based on the plot...or on a guest star..or even on the title. Nothing too obscure LOL it has to be at least in english and found in some database....just a thought.
Lara

mystark

mystark

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The bulldog's name is Marc Anthony in "Feed the Kitty", one of my favorites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users