Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salter-path

Andy Griffith Show

6 posts in this topic

I saw an Andy Griffith episode recently that Jack Dodson (aka Howard Sprague) played an insurance agent named "Ed". In this particular episode Aunt Bea filed a claim for a brooch that she ultimatety found in a pocket.

This episode was very confusing to me because I had always thought that Jack Dodson had always been Howard on the show. Do you know when the character Howard Sprague began on The Andy Griffith Show? And, was there ever another actor in this role?

Jack Dodson started in the role of Howard Sprague in the sixth season in an episode called "The County Clerk," where Andy and Helen try to play matchmaker for Howard, but his mother wants to keep him close to home (and to her).

In 1962, Howard McNear who played the barber, Floyd Lawson, had a stroke. By 1964 he was able to talk again and Andy thought it would be getting him working again. McNear couldn't stand very well, so you'll notice that he's usually sitting in the barber chair, or his car (BTW, in the episode where Goober runs a contest at the fillin' station, and you see Floyd drive away from the pumps, if you look carefully, you can see the tow line that pulls the car, as McNear couldn't drive any more). So the point is, they needed some new townspeople. They added Jack Dodson, and later (1967) Paul Hartman as the fix-it man Emmett Clark.

Dodson and Hartman would go on to appear in "Mayberry RFD." Hartman died in 1973, and Dodson in 1994.

-M

Thank you Morty. I knew you would know:-) I have one more question for ya. How do you know all of this stuff? Seriously, How?

Thank you Morty. I knew you would know:-) I have one more question for ya. How do you know all of this stuff? Seriously, How?

When I was a little kid I had the most amazing memory. I could go to a movie and later be able to recite about 75% of it. I didn

Hello Morty,

I can relate to your story on many levels. As the only child of a single mom i remember vividly the hours spent in front of the TV and memorizing the directors names of my favorite cartoons..Robert McKimson (sp?) for example and the characters names such as Mortimer the Orange monster and one of my favorite cartoons : the one where the Bulldog--(5pts to whomever guesses his name ) adopts a small black kitten and then thinks the kitten has been made into a cookie....anyone remember that one yet? how about the kitten kneading and scratching the dogs back until she finally lays down on the small of the dogs back...remeber it now? oh well...like i said i was so overjoyed when we first got cable and the brown box with the lever on the side that allowed you to get 2 extra levels of channels....:)

While i am in no way near your league for remembering the names....i am a tried and true TV and Movie fan who feels it is my mission to see EVERYTHING.....That makes my finding this site so great. Keep up the great work and i would love it if you would post a little quiz sometime. Something along the lines of name the movie or tv based on the plot...or on a guest star..or even on the title. Nothing too obscure LOL it has to be at least in english and found in some database....just a thought.

Lara