Sign in to follow this  
amandaleigh

Dr Lake is my Dentist and family friend

Hi y'all. My name's Amanda and I'm from Hattiesburg, MS. I've known Dr. Lake since I was 12 and despite what this show is making him out to be like, he's a really great guy. Ms. Michelle is also a very intelligent lady and a wonderful mother. It really upsets Dr. Lake to look at sites like this one and see how people are talking about him. Don't you all realize that the show is clipped to show people however it will most entertain people and -- let's face it, villians make for good drama. Anyway, I just wanted people to realize that LOTS of people involved in reality television are probably shown at their worst AND that these people LIKELY read what people say about them. So before you go bashing someone that you've never actually met, think about whether or not you'd like some stranger to say those things about you. Thanks.

That's unfortunate, HOWEVER.........

most of us have been posting on "boards like these" for a very long time, and yeah, we realize the contestants and/or friends and family read these boards. My guess is that the same people that are reading the boards now have read them before and KNOW that people get bashed. They should have thought of that before they signed on to do the show. Once they took that step, they made themselves targets. Not everyone gets bashed, only the ones who go on national TV and behave like jerks. You see what you see in the good Dr. Lake and post about it; we see what WE see in the good Dr. Lake and post about it. As long as we see his arrogant, bigotted, abusive, high strung behavior, thats what we're going to respond to, period.

If the good dentist doesn't like what he sees it might be a wake up call. If he doesn't want to see it, no one is forcing him to come to the boards and read what we write. If he doesn't want his kids to see it, let him password his computer. Wait, let Ms. Michelle do it, she's the one with the brains.

That's unfortunate, HOWEVER.........

most of us have been posting on "boards like these" for a very long time, and yeah, we realize the contestants and/or friends and family read these boards. My guess is that the same people that are reading the boards now have read them before and KNOW that people get bashed. They should have thought of that before they signed on to do the show. Once they took that step, they made themselves targets. Not everyone gets bashed, only the ones who go on national TV and behave like jerks. You see what you see in the good Dr. Lake and post about it; we see what WE see in the good Dr. Lake and post about it. As long as we see his arrogant, bigotted, abusive, high strung behavior, thats what we're going to respond to, period.

If the good dentist doesn't like what he sees it might be a wake up call. If he doesn't want to see it, no one is forcing him to come to the boards and read what we write. If he doesn't want his kids to see it, let him password his computer. Wait, let Ms. Michelle do it, she's the one with the brains.

I totally agree, we all know editing plays a huge factor in showing a persons bad parts, however editing does not put words in his mouth, the way he speaks to his wife is disgusting. And the fact that she takes it is even worse!

It really upsets Dr. Lake to look at sites like this one and see how people are talking about him. Don't you all realize that the show is clipped to show people however it will most entertain people and -- let's face it, villians make for good drama. Anyway, I just wanted people to realize that LOTS of people involved in reality television are probably shown at their worst AND that these people LIKELY read what people say about them. So before you go bashing someone that you've never actually met, think about whether or not you'd like some stranger to say those things about you. Thanks.

Dr Lake can read? By his behavior on a reality show, I, for one, am surprised. <_<

Since when did comments about someone's overt brudish, sexist, racist, condescending, inarticulate and competely xenophobic behavior become "bashing"? "Bashing" is what happened to the kids on last season over on Sucks. Funny, but uncalled-for.

Why don't you be a good friend and explain to Dr. Lake that his behavior, although edited at times, was reprehensible. Maybe if he didn't present his odious social graces while the camera were on, the edtors would have nothing to use. Like BlackCat3 said, the editors didn't put words in his mouth.

Hi y'all. My name's Amanda and I'm from Hattiesburg, MS. I've known Dr. Lake since I was 12 and despite what this show is making him out to be like, he's a really great guy. Ms. Michelle is also a very intelligent lady and a wonderful mother. It really upsets Dr. Lake to look at sites like this one and see how people are talking about him. Don't you all realize that the show is clipped to show people however it will most entertain people and -- let's face it, villians make for good drama. Anyway, I just wanted people to realize that LOTS of people involved in reality television are probably shown at their worst AND that these people LIKELY read what people say about them. So before you go bashing someone that you've never actually met, think about whether or not you'd like some stranger to say those things about you. Thanks.

YAY.gifITS spring.jpg

HEYYYYYY EVERYBODY!!!!!! :)

Oh, I get it now. So, it's all in the editing. We should have known that. Remember Jonathan and Victoria? That was bad editing, too. So sorry. I guess the video folks spend hour upon hour editing words and actions together to make someone appear to be something they're not. Chalk the good doctor up to another editing victim. Not.

No matter what the editors would not edit someone to make them say racists things they know its not right and they wouldnt do it. I can see why youre defending him though because you do not want to see him get hurt i understand that but he has to realize what he is saying about other people is wrong you dont see jonathan and victoria doing that? I try to refrain from talking crap about people but lake deserves it im sorry

Hey, if the guy was my dentist I would be on every message board available saying nice things about him. You never know when you might have to go under the drill. With this guy, I think one would need all the brownie points they could get.

At this point Amanda, I think it would be easier to find a new dentist than to convince people this is really a good guy.

i hope seeing himself on TV makes him look long and hard at himself, and how he treats strangers and loved ones

Hey, if the guy was my dentist I would be on every message board available saying nice things about him. You never know when you might have to go under the drill. With this guy, I think one would need all the brownie points they could get.

At this point Amanda, I think it would be easier to find a new dentist than to convince people this is really a good guy.

he's not just my dentist. he's a friend of my family. I'm not going to find a new dentist just because some people on a website think that they know someone from watching them under the pressure of RACING for a million bucks. honestly, some people need to learn to seperate reality tv from REALITY.

Honestly, some people need to learn that when you go on a REALITY TV show, you open yourself up to public comments and criticisms. If Dr Lake's skin (or yours) is that thin, then either he shouldn't have gone on TAR, or he shouldn't come to sites like this and read what people think of him.

well, I'm less concerned about Dr. Lake and more concerned about his children who are old enough to be reading some of this crap. How would you feel if you were 11 years old and you went to a website and someone said your dad should get hit by a bus? Or that your mom should divorce your dad? I just wish people would realize that the "contestants" they give such ridiculous advice to are real people with real emotions and real families who could get hurt by such awful things.

well hey hes the one that went on the reality show if he didnt wanna get judged on what he says and does he should of went on. As for his kids my advice is if you dont want to see shit talked about your dad DONT READ THE DAMMN MESSAGE BOARDS

well, I'm less concerned about Dr. Lake and more concerned about his children who are old enough to be reading some of this crap. How would you feel if you were 11 years old and you went to a website and someone said your dad should get hit by a bus? Or that your mom should divorce your dad? I just wish people would realize that the "contestants" they give such ridiculous advice to are real people with real emotions and real families who could get hurt by such awful things.

Why must you rain on our parade??? It's not our fault the kids dad is a Jackarse...

Notice how I used Jackarse instead of Jackass... See, we are not so bad after all...

i honestly dont know how this girl expects people to act about lake, when we are given it week after week, and defending him like that isnt gonna help. Everyone has their bad moments, and in Reality TV, their bad moments are highlighted to make a character, and we all know this, we are all familiar to reality TV and the power of editing. But, its what he gives them, and he has given them enough of it to make him that character. Its not our fault that their kids come on and read bad stuff, its the parents fault for exploiting thier family by being on the race. Its not like its Amazing race 1, or the first reality show ever, we all know how the viewing audiences are, and always will be.

Quick question...

Their kids that would come to the message board and read these terrible things, probably watch the show right??

Well then they will see it for themselves (if they haven't already seen it in the home) But the fact is Lake yells at his wife, tells her the problems are all her fault, calls her names and tells her to shut up, that is not the beauty of editing, they can't put words in his mouth, and that is not how a husband should treat a wife. And what really scares me is that if the kids grow up with it, thinking its ok, they will probably do it too!

The fact is plain and simple he is verbally abusive towards his wife - like it or not it's a fact!!

I know how you people love trashing the contestants, but take it easy. You're all welcome to post opinions, but you're all getting close to slander.

Don't make me turn this car around.

Carry on, don't make it personal.

-M

Morty I know this is your site and you can run it as you like but to tie our hands in our opinions is not leaving us much freedom of speech. JMO

I'm not tying you down (unless you're into that), it just seems that everyone

I'm not tying you down (unless you're into that)

Look at Morty getting Freaky up in here...You tie me down any day :)

I read Morty's post this morning and I wanted to think about it before I posted a response.

My gut reaction was that what's been posted about the good dentist is relatively mild. There have been far worse things posted about other reality contestants. Jonathan, last summer's BB house (no one escaped the rath of the board), Romber took a beating, the list goes on.....

I tend to agree with Suds in that we are posting opinions based on what we are allowed to see. We didn't put words in the man's mouth, we didn't make him go on national TV, we don't make him speak harshly to his wife. We DO see those things and we express opinions about them.

As long as I can remember, we've never had our hands smacked for expressing even the harshest opinions. Seeing the word slander in Morty's post almost made me wonder if there was more to the admonition we received than we are aware.

If you want to talk about harsh, take a look back at some of the posts members here have made toward each other.

Lastly, as was pointed out, this is Morty's site. If he wants us to rethink what we post, I guess I'll have to rethink my wording in future posts.

My gut reaction was that what's been posted about the good dentist is relatively mild. There have been far worse things posted about other reality contestants. Jonathan, last summer's BB house (no one escaped the rath of the board), Romber took a beating, the list goes on.....

This is true. Maybe I need to get out more too.

If you want to talk about harsh, take a look back at some of the posts members here have made toward each other.

Yeah, and I really never liked that either, but I've learned to live with it.

-M

:o:lol:

:lol:

Is this maybe the first time a friend of family member has actually come on the board and taken issue with posts? In the (almost) year I've been posting here at Morty's the only person I can recall questioning our posts is Marcellus, but he seems to like to talk trash as much as the rest of us so that isn't even quite the same.

One thing that was kind of scaring me is AmandaLeigh's age - like are we all arguing with a 16 year old kid about her family friend Uncle Lake? If she's 21 or 22 then maybe that's different, I don't know . . .

PS Anybody else seen some of the articles about message board owners and message board posters getting sued by people for causing 'emotional distress'? Kind of scary to have to worry about this kind of stuff - don't know whether anybody's actually winning their suits or what, but still.

HUH? Your husband wants to tie me down? COOL!!!!

Come on -- aren't we taking this just a little too seriously?

People go on reality shows-- they have to expect boards like this. I'm not saying people should be able to say whatever they want, but I don't pay much attention to the particularly vile ones.

I think if I was on a reality show, and checked out a site like this, and people were being nasty about me ( NEVER happen!! :lol:;) ), I would probably be hurt at first, but then figure, what do I care about what a bunch of losers on a web site think?

If I don't like someone, and think they're a jerk, on the show, then I'm going to say it. Maybe not in those exact terms, but you know what I mean.

My comments are based on what I see on the show-- duh -- what else do I have to go on? I do realize that many of these people are not 100% accurately portrayed. Again-- duh -- who wants to see a show with only nice, normal people on it? So, they are going to pick people who they figure are going to give them the most interesting material for which to build their show.

So, if any of Lake and Michelle's family read this board, I'm sorry if their feeling are hurt. But who cares what we think? The opinions of the people in your real life are what matters -- not the ones of people who are just fans of the show.

No one competing on a reality show is safe on message boards about their actions, physical appearance or comments. We pick them apart in order to have something to discuss. Amazing Race is stressful and fast-paced, setting the scene for some couples who can't handle the pressure to take out their frustrations on each other. We are only assuming that they act like that in their every day lives. Most married couples bicker at one time or another anyway.

We're all capable of making errors in judgement and speaking before we've thoroughly considered the backlash that will ensue. Give the good doctor the benefit of doubt and hope that when he sees the show, he'll realize how disrespectful he appears to a watching public.