Sign in to follow this  
nebartist

BJ and Tyler

Guest StarBaby
Does any onw know how far behind the frat boys where?????

They didn't say and there is no way to tell. I would be surprised if they were more than five or ten minutes behind though. I think RayYo was probably quite a bit further back because they hadn't even arrived at the flags when BJ/Tyler finished.

Congrats to BJ and Tyler!!! I am glad it came down to brains, about how much did they pay attention in the countries they traveled to. The Frats, as usual, were sore about coming in second but I might sulk too if I came thisclose to winning a million and blew it!

Woo Hoo!!! Congrats BJ & Tyler What a great ending, I was cheering so loud I freaked out my cats lol! I was so happy they won it they really did deserve it, like Phil said they were always so happy and no matter what they enjoyed themselves they really did deserve it!

I was so happy the frat boys didn

Yea!!!!!!!! I have to say that they're some of the nicest contestants that have ever been on the AR. They were always so kind to the ppl in other countries, and made an honest effort to learn their language, and more than the usual "rapido driver". Good for them.

Congrats BJ and Tyler...a bit heart-stopping at the finish. Nice guys do finish first!

BJ_Tyler_racepix.jpg

BJ Averell and Tyler Macniven aka 'The Hippies'

Best pals, BJ Averell and Tyler Macniven also give an entertaining talk show interview. Tyler described the 'Race' as "unreal" while BJ attributed their "friendship as what got them through it." They made the rounds yesterday on "The Early Show" to pick up their checks and then moved on to "Live with Regis and Kelly."

BJ graduated from Harvard. He was quoted in The Harvard Crimson as now being in negotiations with an unnamed network to create a travel show starring both he and Tyler. Let's hope it lasts longer than Kevin and Drew's Discovery Channel series. He also said he hoped for a live-action remake of 1980s cartoon series "DuckTales," starring himself as Scrooge McDuck.

On the opposite coast, Tyler got his degree from UC Santa Cruz. They said they met four years ago during the "Semester At Sea" program. I was also surprised to learn the two don't live in the same city. I thought they both were from San Francisco but only Tyler makes San Fran home base while BJ calls Los Angeles his home.

Tyler was truly raised by hippies while BJ was raised more traditionally in Collingswood, New Jersey. Kelly seemed surprised that BJ was a Jersey Boy. However, BJ really connected with Kelly Ripa on this point because she's from that same area.

Tyler drew tons of laughter during their appearance on "Live" by saying he remembered his childhood with his family taking road odysseys surrounded by smells of "patchouli and pot." I'm curious about the seriousness of his comment though since I read his parents were Presbyterian missionaries.

BJ_Tyler.jpgBJ_Tyler3.jpg

BJ Averell and Tyler Macniven during their appearance on 'The Early Show'

On "The Early Show" BJ was adorned with a regal purple cape explaining that's how "he rolled now that he's a millionaire." Well, he is if he has an extra $500,000 in his bank account already since they split their million dollar winning. BJ dropped the cape for Regis and Kelly but they both sported some bizarre duds for their personal appearances.

Tyler has a Japanese name, Kintaro, given to him by a Japanese clown named Kobo. Kintaro translates to 'golden boy' because of his wild crazy locks. He met his girlfriend, Ayumi Meegan, in Japan. Her name translates to 'walk' because her parents spent seven years walking through Japan covering slightly over 19,000 miles.

geisha.jpgkintaro_ayumi.jpg

Tyler dressed as a geisha with one of his 'Kintaro.......Ayumi and Tyler during his trek across Japan

Kurrency' postcards

Tyler did a 'walk' of his own albeit an abbreviated version of his future in-laws trek across Japan. He wrote about it if you want to read the whole story, click on: Kintaro Walks Japan. It's where I got these precious photos of Tyler and dug up some more research on this fascinating young man.

It sounds like it was perfect training for "The Amazing Race." Tyler had practice meeting various people of different cultures, eating strange local delicacies and bartering for everything from food to lodging with homemade postcards that marked his journey. If you like The Hippies or Tyler either one, it's an interesting read.

Woo Hoo!!! Congrats BJ & Tyler What a great ending, I was cheering so loud I freaked out my cats lol! I was so happy they won it they really did deserve it, like Phil said they were always so happy and no matter what they enjoyed themselves they really did deserve it!

I was so happy the frat boys didn

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Amazing Hippies Make Bucks, Not War!

by Rochell D. Thomas

060524insider1.jpg

Amazing Race 9 winners BJ Averell and Tyler MacNiven

Brains beat brawn when BJ Averell and Tyler MacNiven won the $1 million prize in The Amazing Race 9. But it turns out the close friends' fun-loving hippie image almost did them in

I'm really rooting for these guys. There hasn't been such an entertaining team on this show since Kevin & Drew from Season 1.

Now that I've officially declared them my favorites, they will be gone next week. I am the kiss of death to reality TV show contestants. Sorry guys.

The jinx has been broken. First with BJ & Tyler and now with Taylor Hicks (American Idol). I don't know what I should do next. . . play the lottery or try on-line dating.

i loved the hippies. loved there personalities loved that they were just there to have fun. congrads to them. They made the season fun to watch. Congrads to them

The jinx has been broken. First with BJ & Tyler and now with Taylor Hicks (American Idol). I don't know what I should do next. . . play the lottery or try on-line dating.
OK.......You had to say Jinx!!! :P

Jinx

I watched BJ on that horrible TV Guide channel the other day. Poor thing looked so out of place with those two loud mouths. Am I the only one who LOATHES Kimberly Caldwell? They let him say three sentences... :angry: AHHHH!

"BJ was raised more traditionally in Collingswood, New Jersey. "

What a great place to grow up !! :D:D;)

I'm gonna miss seeing them this season, I wish them both well !!

Me too, for me that was the best season of AR ever! :D