Sign in to follow this  
Rejuvenated

Mayan Sacrificial Chicken

I agree King, thats why I started the other Chicken thread early this morning, guess you missed it before starting the same thread.

Opps... Monday morning thing...

One of the Mods will combine them together...

I'm just surprised Stephanie didn't use the time during the ritual to pray to the Mayan gods for 11 herbs and spices to fall from the heavens, the way she was eye-balling that chicken.

And.. a storm? Pshaw. If the gods were truly upset over their sacrifice being eaten, I have just two words for them... Bird Flu.

Seriously.. I'm sorry, but... starving humans win out over roasted poultry every time. Would you rather they went all stranded-soccer-team and dined on Danni instead? Frankly, the chicken probably had more meat on its bones anyway.

It... was... a... chicken.

I'm just surprised Stephanie didn't use the time during the ritual to pray to the Mayan gods for 11 herbs and spices to fall from the heavens, the way she was eye-balling that chicken.

And.. a storm? Pshaw. If the gods were truly upset over their sacrifice being eaten, I have just two words for them... Bird Flu.

It... was... a... chicken.

11 herbs & spices!!! Bird Flu!!! HILAROUS, best laugh I've had today.

But a chicken is a chicken is a chicken?? To us non-Mayans perhaps, to them it was something else, thus the controversy.

11 herbs & spices!!! Bird Flu!!! HILAROUS, best laugh I've had today.

But a chicken is a chicken is a chicken?? To us non-Mayans perhaps, to them it was something else, thus the controversy.

but they allowed a television show about greed and deceit to be taped on their mayan ruins!!! Seems to me they weren't too worried about their culture or religion.

but they allowed a television show about greed and deceit to be taped on their mayan ruins!!! Seems to me they weren't too worried about their culture or religion.

I know Neb, thats an issue thats been debated before. I can only hope that it was done with the belief that the show would result in increased tourism and therefore increase income (as it did in Palau for example) that would help with further excavation and restoration of the sites. I know there were some issues raised by the Dept of Tourism in Guatemala when they realized exactly what having the show there entailed in terms of the number of people and the possible impact on the ruins.

Y'know , if you want to really get into it, the ritual was over, the chicken was sacrificed-------would it have been allright to eat the chicken the next day? or the day after?

Would it have been ok to move the chicken?

There's a good chance you're arguing about nothing. They were told the chicken wasn't for eating, but just during the ceremony? When the ceremony was concluded was it all right?Would there be a suitable waiting time? Does the chicken stay there for eternity?

And just for the record, I don't think it showed a lack of respect for the Mayan culture or a lack of class or anything. I believe the only thing it showed was that they were very hungry.

True, the ritual was over. The other thing I thought of in trying to justify this in my own mind, was that the "chicken" was nothing more than a shell at this point. The soul, for lack of a better word, had been sacrificed.

Once again, this thread is NOT a thread about Stephanie; I don't really care what her situation was, she was playing a game, not fighting for her life, none of them were. I really don't think Mark Burnett would leave them there to starve.

Edited by Rejuvenated

Most of the people posting here amaze me. I would bet my left foot that the people here complaining about Steph's hunger have never been in any kind of survival situation at all. I have! Having been through survival situations similar and even more dire than that of the Survivor show I know what it is like to go days with little or no food. Especially at those times when you are using alot of energy to gather food or to put yourself through physical challenges you are hungry all the time. You dream of food, you think of food, you try your best to block out the need for food but it never goes away. Steph may have gotten to eat more than anyone else but she still lost a crap ton of weight. Why you ask? Because she has a very high metabolism? She was no glutton, she obviously wasn't getting the calories her body needed to function at it's peak and her constant hunger is a symptom of that physical ailment. She wasn't being disrespectful of a religious ceremony, religion be damned!!! She was SURVIVING!!! When you are fighting for Survival you will eat anything you can get your hands on from bugs, grass and weeds to a sacrificial chicken. And yes you will go into a church and drink the sacrimental wine and the holy water too if you're dying of thirst!!! Because you are SURVIVING and people will do anything to survive! If you doubt that, then you have never had to REALLY survive and while that's nice for you, you might want to take that into consideration before spewing about something that you really have no concept of.

... "I really don't think Mark Burnett would leave them there to starve."

Depends on the ratings...?

I already posted that I think it was very inappropriate and disrespectful.

To address what a few people have said... I have been in survivial situations. I know what it's like to be starving. However, on survivor hunger is their main enemy and they are supplied with corn. They aren't actually starving, they just don't have much or variety to eat. There is plenty more there they could have eaten .

The chicken was for the earth. Respect the Mayans and respect the earth after all that earth is what is providing for them.

Strictly my opinion and you are all free to disagree, of course, but I feel that the ritual itself lost a lot of respect simply because it was staged for a television show. In Mayan culture currently, I believe, chickens are now ritualistically sacrificed in healing ceremonies when someone is very ill. (It used to be humans that were sacrificed this same way, btw.). In any event, as no one was ill, the entire ceremony was staged for the benefit of television ratings and, more than likely, the kind of debate that is going on now, which keeps Survivor fresh in our minds.

Personally, I wasn't too happy about seeing a living creature have its neck broken, head ripped off, and body tossed into a fire in front of me on my television. I'm sure there are others who would feel the same way. Where is the respect for those of us who may not have wanted to view such a thing?

For me, the bottom line is that I don't believe anyone here can say with 100% certainty what they would or would not do in that situation. Even for those who claim to have "survival experience", until in this particular situation, you have no clue what you may and may not be capable of. Most people come into the game thinking they will finally be the one who is honest all the way through, never lie, and end up winning. Then they get there, and end up lying and doing all the things they said they never would.

It's easy to sit here in front of a computer, snacking on our Pringles and sipping our Wild Cherry Pepsi, (or whatever... heh), and act shocked and say, "How dare they! I would never!". But the truth is, one simply does not know until they are within a given situation.

Personally, I am not religious at all.. but if someone else is, I can respect the fact that they are. That doesn't mean I have to respect every detail of their religion. If that were the case, and we should all simply accept every part of each religion, then they may as well go back to using humans instead of chickens. Would we all be so forgiving of it then?

At the end of the day, 3 hungry people ate a honey-barbecued (yummy) chicken that otherwise would have laid there, rotted, festered with maggots and stunk up the camp. As far as I am concerned, given the situation in which it was done, I see the thing as more of a television prop than anything else.

And by the way, I don't think Rafe didn't eat it out of any sense that is was "wrong" in some way. I just think he has a huge Martyr Complex, as evidenced by his letting Danni out of their deal after that last challenge.

The preceding announcement does not necessarily reflect the views of Morty's TV, Survivor, the Mayans, PETA, or KFC. Well, maybe the last one...

Gorilla

President and CEO of the Chicken Learning & Unification Conference Kettle (or CLUCK for short)

Edited by Gorilla

Personally I get tired of hearing the "well you don't really know what you would do" comment over and over again.

Maybe you're right, the wind was blowing to the west on the days I was starving.

Please don't mock survival experience, some of us are telling the truth. I've got plenty stories that would make you wonder how I'm still alive.

Edited by AmazingNut

Strictly my opinion and you are all free to disagree, of course, but I feel that the ritual itself lost a lot of respect simply because it was staged for a television show. In Mayan culture currently, I believe, chickens are now ritualistically sacrificed in healing ceremonies when someone is very ill. (It used to be humans that were sacrificed this same way, btw.). In any event, as no one was ill, the entire ceremony was staged for the benefit of television ratings and, more than likely, the kind of debate that is going on now, which keeps Survivor fresh in our minds.

For me, the bottom line is that I don't believe anyone here can say with 100% certainty what they would or would not do in that situation. Even for those who claim to have "survival experience", until in this particular situation, you have no clue what you may and may not be capable of.

It's easy to sit here in front of a computer, snacking on our Pringles and sipping our Wild Cherry Pepsi, (or whatever... heh), and act shocked and say, "How dare they! I would never!". But the truth is, one simply does not know until they are within a given situation.

At the end of the day, 3 hungry people ate a honey-barbecued (yummy) chicken that otherwise would have laid there, rotted, festered with maggots and stunk up the camp. As far as I am concerned, given the situation in which it was done, I see the thing as more of a television prop than anything else.

Well said Gorilla!

This thread is very amusing to me. Eating the chicken was disrespectful??? Give me a break! The Mayan, Aztec, and Incan cultures believed in huamn sacrifice, among other 'interesting' customs. It was said during the season how they played a sport with human heads! And you people thinking chowin' down on some poultry was sacriligious - PUHLEZE!!!!

This thread is very amusing to me. Eating the chicken was disrespectful??? Give me a break! The Mayan, Aztec, and Incan cultures believed in huamn sacrifice, among other 'interesting' customs. It was said during the season how they played a sport with human heads! And you people thinking chowin' down on some poultry was sacriligious - PUHLEZE!!!!

Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean we should think we are better. They don't play sports with human heads anymore, but sacrifing a chicken is still a part of their customs. We ought to respect that even if we don't agree with it.

Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean we should think we are better. They don't play sports with human heads anymore, but sacrifing a chicken is still a part of their customs. We ought to respect that even if we don't agree with it.

As somebody else said a little earlier in the thread that chicken was nothin' more than a TV prop. And we ALL know the producers figured someone was gonna chow down on that chickeny goodness! Let's face it - there was NOTHING reverential about the chicken, so why should anyone be upset when it was devoured. B)

Let's all be honest and admit it - if you were starving you woulda scarfed that chicken and then sucked the marrow outta the bones! COME ON! B)

Personally I get tired of hearing the "well you don't really know what you would do" comment over and over again.

Maybe you're right, the wind was blowing to the west on the days I was starving.

Please don't mock survival experience, some of us are telling the truth. I've got plenty stories that would make you wonder how I'm still alive.

I can assure you I wasn't mocking you or anyone else. If it seemed I was, then I apologize, as that wasn't my intention. Survival experience was in quotes because I was, well, quoting.

However, as the for the argument that someone doesn't know what they would do until they are in a particular situation, I still feel that it stands. Not just in this situation mind you. You could use that argument in any situation, not just Survivor or this instance with the chicken.

Again, not directed at you, AmazingNut, or anyone else in particular, but even having been in those `type` of situations, you likely have not been in that `exact`situation, and that is my only point. Unless someone is actually there, having been there 38 days, having gone through every situation, every ounce of discomfort and every moment of time with those people, I truly believe it is impossible to say with 100% certainty what someone might do.

As I stated earlier, I was against killing the chicken to begin with. However, I cannot honestly sit here and say there is no situation in which I would do it myself. I simply don't know until presented with a particular situation. To say otherwise, to me, would be conceit beyond imagination.

In any event, I assure you I meant no offense. I've never attacked anyone on here, and never will. Such things are pointless, as this is supposed to be a free exchange of ideas, not of insults. So, again, I apologize if you took offense.

Bottom line for me... As far as I'm concerned, the entire ritual was just done as a show anyway, in this case, so I don't even look at it as a religious ceremony, therefore have no problem with the eating of the chicken.

I thought it was hilarious when they ate the chicken.

I don't think it was disrespectful at all.

They sacrificed the chicken.... ritual was over.. charred chicken was just laying there to rot so they took advantage of the situation and ate it.

It's not like they pulled the chicken carcass out of the fire and started chomping it down during the ceremony.

I wouldn't have been able to eat it. If I had to watch it die... I would just be too traumatized to eat it.. seriously. I get upset if I see roadkill for crying out loud.

I love my meat.. I just don't wanna see where it comes from.. ya know?

Enough with the "you have never been in a survivor situation and I have" criz-zap. These people were playing a GAME. This was not a live or die situation. They have medical personel on site, watching their every move.

If this was a REAL SURVIVOR scenerio, they would not have help the guy who fell into the fire a few seasons ago. If this was REAL SURVIVOR, the other people would have eaten him.

This was A GAME. The sacrifice, although somewhat staged, IMO, was not a sham. They ate the sacrifice. So what if it was a chicken. Would they have eaten it if it was a larger animal...or even a person?? This was a game...and it was ending in a couple of days. And it wasn't like there wasn't food at their camp. The charred yard bird was not the only thing they could have eaten. IMO, it showed a lack of respect that they ate it even when they were told not to. If they didn't ask and weren't told, that's one thing. BUT THEY WERE TOLD NOT TO EAT IT!!

Enough with the "you have never been in a survivor situation and I have" criz-zap. These people were playing a GAME. This was not a live or die situation. They have medical personel on site, watching their every move.

If this was a REAL SURVIVOR scenerio, they would not have help the guy who fell into the fire a few seasons ago. If this was REAL SURVIVOR, the other people would have eaten him.

This was A GAME. The sacrifice, although somewhat staged, IMO, was not a sham. They ate the sacrifice. So what if it was a chicken. Would they have eaten it if it was a larger animal...or even a person?? This was a game...and it was ending in a couple of days. And it wasn't like there wasn't food at their camp. The charred yard bird was not the only thing they could have eaten. IMO, it showed a lack of respect that they ate it even when they were told not to. If they didn't ask and weren't told, that's one thing. BUT THEY WERE TOLD NOT TO EAT IT!!

you cant say anything until youve been in thier shoes sleeping in the jungle for 38 days......