Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What's cancelled, What's returning

• Please log in to reply
571 replies to this topic

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

NBC RESTS JOEY, SCRUBS BACK IN:
NBC has announced its mid-season game plan, and it goes a little something like this: Effective Jan. 2, My Name Is Earl and The Office, as speculated, move from Tuesday to Thursdays-at-9, where they will follow a pairing of Will & Grace and the new sitcom Four Kings (starring Seth Green, Shane McRae, Josh Cooke and Todd Grinnell). Filling the Tuesday void are back-to-back airings of new Scrubs episodes, which will have Fear Factor as its lead-in. Succeeding The Apprentice: Martha Stewart on Wednesdays at 9 is The Biggest Loser: Special Edition, a series of standalone and themed specials. Sandwiching Dateline on Friday are Most Outrageous TV Moments and the new The Book of Daniel, which stars Aidan Quinn as a reverend who sees and chats with Jesus. As for our pal Joey, NBC will bench the Friends spin-off until after its Winter Olympics coverage. Could we be less surprised?

QUOTE(Dade @ Nov 30 2005, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

FOX REVEALS MID-SEASON SLATE:
Fox on Wednesday revealed its mid-season plan, and in doing so squelched speculation that American Idol would be moved to a Wednesday-Thursday schedule. Instead, the reality series' fifth season will stick to its Tuesday-Wednesday combo, premiering Jan. 17 at 8 pm/ET. Also announced: Trading Spouses returns Jan. 6; 24, airing Mondays at 9, starts its uninterrupted run of new episodes on Jan. 15 with a two-night, four-hour event; Skating with Celebrities bows Jan. 18, before moving to Mondays on Jan. 23; Bones relocates to Wednesday at 9 starting Jan. 25; Stacked and That '70s Show move to Thursday starting March 2; and Prison Break picks up where this week's cliff-hanger left off beginning March 20. As for exits, the Reunion will come to an end on Feb. 2, as producers work hard to tie up its sprawling murder mystery a few "years" ahead of schedule.

Guest_ranster627_*

Guest_ranster627_*
  • Guests
Dade Darling ... thanks ... but I am so sad Joey is being cancelled ... I know I was probably the only fan, but it is so disappointing!!!!

Angelo Joe

Angelo Joe

Forum Moderator

• 3,526 posts
QUOTE(ranster627 @ Dec 1 2005, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dade Darling ... thanks ... but I am so sad Joey is being cancelled ... I know I was probably the only fan, but it is so disappointing!!!!

Ranster Darling, is it really being cancelled, or just "benched" until after the Olympics? tongue.gif

Dory would be terribly upset to find out it was being cancelled! ohmy.gif

Dade.... love the new avatar! Watched that last night! wink.gif

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
I don't mind Bones. But it's could almost be the death of a show to put it on with competing with LOST IMHO anyway.

Guest_ranster627_*

Guest_ranster627_*
  • Guests
QUOTE(Angelo Joe @ Dec 1 2005, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ranster Darling, is it really being cancelled, or just "benched" until after the Olympics? tongue.gif

Dory would be terribly upset to find out it was being cancelled! ohmy.gif

usually benching is a quick step to cancelled ... especially with NBC ... they already retooled the show and then to bench it ... hmmmm ... I really hope I am wrong!!!!

Angelo Joe

Angelo Joe

Forum Moderator

• 3,526 posts
QUOTE(ranster627 @ Dec 1 2005, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
usually benching is a quick step to cancelled ... especially with NBC ... they already retooled the show and then to bench it ... hmmmm ... I really hope I am wrong!!!!

OMG! ohmy.gif Dory is not a happy camper, now! mad.gif

She sure hopes you are wrong. If not, she says they better replace it with Ross. laugh.gif

Guest_ranster627_*

Guest_ranster627_*
  • Guests
QUOTE(Angelo Joe @ Dec 2 2005, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG! ohmy.gif Dory is not a happy camper, now! mad.gif

She sure hopes you are wrong. If not, she says they better replace it with Ross. laugh.gif

Wow ... maybe if NBC sees there are two fans ... maybe they will think twice???

Angelo Joe

Angelo Joe

Forum Moderator

• 3,526 posts
One... or, two can hope! smile.gif

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
Courtey of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

ABC MAKES MID-SEASON MOVES:
As part of its mid-season shake-up, ABC has announced that Season 2 of Dancing with the Stars will premiere Thursday, Jan. 5 at 8 pm/ET with a two-hour special, then air 90-minute installments starting the following week. (Take that, Earl!) Dancing's half-hour results show airs Fridays at 8, starting Jan. 6. Also on the new schedule: Hope & Faith moves to Fridays at 8:30, to make room for the new drama In Justice, debuting Jan. 6, and the dysfunctional-family comedy Crumbs, starring Fred Savage, Jane Curtin and William Devane, bows Thursday, Jan. 12 at 9:30.

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, MATT ROUSH, DISPATCHES

Now that the dust has settled a bit on all the 2006 mid-season changes that will be kicking in as soon as the holidays are over, here's my night-by-night scorecard of the imminent battles we'll be covering a month or so from now.

Monday

The big news is the return of 24 on Fox, with a four-hour blast January 15-16, followed by all-new episodes through the rest of the season. For the first two months, Skating with Celebrities (a rip-off of Dancing with the Stars) will be 24's lead-in. But come mid-March, Prison Break will return. What a one-two punch that promises to be!

CBS will coast along by capping off its popular comedies with CSI: Miami. The only change: Out of Practice goes on temporary hiatus, with Jenna Elfman's sight-unseen sitcom filling in.

Saying goodbye forever to Monday Night Football, ABC targets the female demographic with two reality anchors sandwiching two romantic comedies: Wife Swap leading into a combo of Emily's Reasons Why Not (starring Heather Graham) and Jake in Progress (starring John Stamos). Smartly going with reality counterprogramming against crime-drama juggernaut CSI: Miami and strong No. 2 Medium, ABC tries another edition of the we-thought-it-was-dead The Bachelor, this time set in Paris.

Toughest time period: 9 pm/ET, with 24, Two and a Half Men, Las Vegas and the cute Emily fighting for viewers.

Tuesday

What a tough night.

The big news, again on Fox, is the return of American Idol, with a long string of audition and semifinals episodes before we get to the real meat of the show sometime in February or March. House is staying in the spot where it became a smash hit on Idol's coattails a year ago. Fox will rule.

As usual, the 9 pm/ET time period is going to be very crowded. Joining worthy contenders House and Commander in Chief, NBC finally brings back Scrubs with back-to-back new episodes. This will fill an hour that used to be occupied by My Name Is Earl and The Office, which have now relocated to Thursdays. (Why NBC continues to have more faith in The Office, keeping it yoked to Earl, than in Scrubs is an ongoing puzzle.) And CBS is filling the gap between cycles of The Amazing Race with the enjoyable romantic dramedy Love Monkey (starring Ed's affable Tom Cavanagh), and it will be interesting to see if CBS' crime-thirsty audience will embrace a show so outside the formula.

Adding juice to the 10 pm/ET hour is the return of FX's The Shield, with Forest Whitaker joining the cast as Vic's new nemesis. I imagine I'll fall even farther behind on Boston Legal and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as a result.

Wednesday

Another night directly impacted by Idol, which will be paired initially with Bones at 9 pm/ET (against Lost!), and then when the results-show format kicks in (moving to 9), Bones will move to 8 (a much kinder time period for it) and Idol will be paired with some no-doubt-forgettable comedy.

UPN fills the gap between cycles of America's Next Top Model with the new soap South Beach leading into the eternally underwatched Veronica Mars. Considering how miserably the network's last soap did (Sex, Love & Secrets), I'm hoping it won't be long before Tyra is wrangling a new set of girls.

NBC marks time before February's Winter Olympics by airing stand-alone episodes of The Biggest Loser in betweeni[] E-Ring[/i] and Law & Order. Wouldn't it have been smarter for the network to restore The West Wing to its former roost, even for a short period of time? It's dying on Sundays.

Thursday

It's about time. NBC restores a two-hour comedy block to Thursdays, presumably bouncing the fading The Apprentice to another night after the Olympics. But unlike in the peacock's glory days, only one of the four comedies are truly "must-see." Leaving Scrubs out of the lineup seems especially foolish, though kicking Joey to the curb is long overdue. The terrific My Name Is Earl is being asked to do battle against CSI, instead of kicking off the night in the old Friends slot. (The dying Will & Grace gets that honor, paired with the dumb-guy sitcom Four Kings, from the same producers.) As on Tuesdays this fall, Earl is paired with the incompatible The Office, which has improved this season but not enough to take on the CBS juggernaut. (Again, why not pair Earl with Scrubs?) Still, Earl should have some impact on the night.

Fox also moves comedies to its Thursday dead zone at 9 pm/ET, with the past-its-prime That '70s Show and the ratings-deflated Stacked following The O.C., in the vain hope of holding on to the elusive young demographic that The O.C. still kind of attracts.

Meanwhile, ABC takes advantage of a short Survivor hiatus to bring back last summer's surprise camp hit Dancing With the Stars for a second go-round, followed by yet another comedy contender (ABC's manic Crumbs) in the 9:30 pm/ET time period. That makes four networks (counting UPN) trying to lure audiences with comedy on Thursdays. And yet it will be CBS, as always, that gets the last laugh.

Friday

NBC's Kevin Reilly showed a bit of his old FX moxie when he ordered the offbeat The Book of Daniel into series production, but his ardor quickly cooled, resulting in a shortened episode order and the unfortunate scheduling of Daniel into a tough 10 pm/ET time period. It's a shame. This one's a gem. This whimsical family drama is about an embattled Episcopal priest (Aidan Quinn) who talks regularly to Jesus when not contending with domestic and church-administration crises. The blue-chip cast also includes Ellen Burstyn as Daniel's boss and Once and Again's luminous Susanna Thompson as his martini-prone wife. Enjoy while you can.

Daniel's competition doesn't merely include one of CBS' 1,001 popular crime procedurals, Numbers, but two strong cable shows are also returning in early January for their winter seasons: USA Network's enduring detective comedy Monk and Sci Fi's blistering space adventure Battlestar Galactica.

And ABC jettisons its comedy lineup, probably not a moment too soon, with only Hope & Faith remaining, hammocked between the Dancing With the Stars results show and the new legal drama In Justice. Doubt any of that will make much of a dent in CBS's leadership on Fridays, for what that's worth.

Saturday

Who cares?

Sunday

Nothing much changes. ABC will still be the network to watch. And HBO won't get back into the game until the return of The Sopranos in March.

Edited by Dade, 05 December 2005 - 02:45 PM.

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
QUOTE(ranster627 @ Dec 1 2005, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yw Ranster

QUOTE(Angelo Joe @ Dec 1 2005, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol Me to Nemo...love that show.

P.S. Love Santa Nemo

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
Courtesy of: AOL TELEVISION

Mid-Season TV: New and Returning Show Premiere Dates

Been wondering where the heck '24' has been? Missed the quick wit of 'Scrubs'? Dying to hear the next pop superstar on 'American Idol'? No worries, both are back for midseason. Here's a quick list of returning faves and brand new shows that'll give you something to look forward to beyond the post-holiday blues.

Note: New shows listed in bold.

SUN., JAN. 1
10PM – 'In Justice' (ABC)

TUE., JAN. 3
9PM – 'Scrubs' (NBC, one-hour premiere)

THU., JAN. 5
8PM – 'Dancing With the Stars' (ABC, two-hour premiere)
8:30PM – 'Four Kings' (NBC)

FRI., JAN. 6
8PM – 'Most Outrageous TV Moments' (NBC)
8PM – 'Stargate: SG-1' (SCI FI)
9PM – 'In Justice' (ABC, time period debut)
9PM – 'The Book of Daniel' (NBC, two-hour premiere)
9PM – 'Stargate Atlantis' (SCI FI)
10PM – 'Battlestar Galactica' (SCI FI)

SUN., JAN. 8
10PM – 'Campus Ladies' (OXYGEN)
10PM – 'The L Word' (SHOWTIME)

MON., JAN. 9
9PM – 'Emily's Reasons Why Not' (ABC)
9:30PM – 'Jake in Progress' (ABC)
10PM – 'The Bachelor' (ABC)

TUE., JAN. 10
10PM – 'The Shield' (FX)

WED., JAN. 11
10PM – 'South Beach' (UPN, two-hour premiere)

THU., JAN. 12
9PM – 'Beauty and the Geek' (WB)
9:30PM – 'Crumbs' (ABC)

FRI., JAN. 13
10PM – 'The Book of Daniel' (NBC, time period debut)
10PM – 'Monk' (USA)

SUN., JAN. 15
8PM – '24' (FOX, two-hour premiere)

MON., JAN. 16
8PM – '24' (FOX, back-to-back new episodes)

TUE., JAN. 17
8PM – 'American Idol' (FOX, two-hour premiere)
10PM – 'Love Monkey' (CBS)

WED., JAN. 18
9PM – 'Skating With the Celebrities' (FOX)

MON., JAN. 23
8PM – 'Skating With the Celebrities' (FOX, time period debut)
9:30PM – 'The Jenna Elfman Show' (CBS)

TUE., JAN. 24
9PM – 'Love Monkey (CBS, time period debut)
9PM – 'Get This Party Started' (UPN)

Guest_ranster627_*

Guest_ranster627_*
  • Guests
Thanks Dade ... you are my hero!

BTW, SpoilerFix is still saying that Joey will return with new episodes after the Olympics, so I think they may finish the season ...

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ROUSH REVIEW

Time to Go?
Preparing for that final curtain

Knowing when to leave, and then executing that exit strategy with dignity and creative energy intact, is possibly the toughest task in all of TV. (Everybody Loves Raymond pulled it off better than most.) In the year ahead, quite a few longtime faves are heading toward the finish line, even if some — like the fading West Wing — have yet to make it official. Here's my take on how these swan songs are playing out. While watching them, I also started wondering which ones are most likely to live on in spin-offs and which are best suited for nostalgic reunions somewhere down the road.

The West Wing
Sundays, 8 pm/ET, NBC
Season: 7
Showing its age?
By definition, a lame duck is no spring chicken. Moving this once-majestic show to Sunday was a death blow, but the Bartlet gang had already grown stale. The campaign episodes pitting Vinick (Alan Alda) against Santos (Jimmy Smits) have the old spirit, but once the prez passes the torch, it’s over.
Spin-off? Impeach the very thought.
Reunion? Ditto.

Alias
Returns in spring to ABC
Season: 5
Showing its age?
Syd is showing, all right, but with baby. This flashy spy caper is still great fun, though it’s starting to repeat itself — Prophet 5 the new Covenant? And as new agents take the spotlight while Syd’s on the sidelines and Vaughn plays dead, it really is time to go out with a bang.
Spin-off? A long shot, but the bad guys could carry it.
Reunion? On the big screen would be nice.

Will & Grace
Thursdays, 8 pm/ET (in January), NBC
Season: 8
Showing its age?
Sad but true. Even this season’s guest stars (Jason Biggs?) lack oomph. Like champagne left open, there are glimmers of the old fizz and bite, but the aftertaste is sour and flat. Still, Will and Jack’s friendship has grown lately beyond bitchy quips. There’s hope this faded classic can go out with pride.
Spin-off? Puh-leeze!
Reunion? If The Golden Girls can do it…

That '70s Show
Wednesdays, 8 pm/ET, Fox
Season: 8
Showing its age?
More than most. Eric (Topher Grace) is away in Africa. Kelso (Ashton Kutcher) is in Chicago. Those left behind in Wisconsin don’t merely suffer from empty-nest syndrome, they’ve got empty-show disease. Whatever they’re still smoking, the show is no longer on a high.
Spin-off? Doubtful. That '80s Show was a dud.
Reunion? If only to check out the hairdos.

7th Heaven
Mondays, 8 pm/ET, WB
Season: 10
Showing its age?
Yes, as any old-fashioned family drama does. Even good-for-you things must come to an end, and once the Camden kids graduated from growing pains to labor pains, some of the early charm was lost. (And not everyone’s acting has matured over time.) Still, there’s a big appetite for comfort food like this.
Spin-off? Likely.
Reunion? Isn’t that what families do?

Blackcat3

Blackcat3

• Pip
  • 1,601 posts
QUOTE(Angelo Joe @ Dec 1 2005, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One... or, two can hope! smile.gif

Count me in... Makes it three!!!

I love Joey, I was so sad when Friends ended, and so happy to hear that Joey was coming on. Even though it is not the best show, it is still my Joey and I love it!!!

mikede

mikede

• Pip
  • 2,662 posts
QUOTE(Blackcat3 @ Dec 21 2005, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Count me in... Makes it three!!!

I love Joey, I was so sad when Friends ended, and so happy to hear that Joey was coming on. Even though it is not the best show, it is still my Joey and I love it!!!

Now i know TWO people who watch it!!!

Guest_ranster627_*

Guest_ranster627_*
  • Guests
QUOTE(mikede @ Dec 21 2005, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now i know TWO people who watch it!!!

LOL three!!!! It';s official, there will be at least one new episode of Joey in March (after the Olympics) according to Spoilerfix ...

mikede

mikede

• Pip
  • 2,662 posts
QUOTE(ranster627 @ Dec 21 2005, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL three!!!! It';s official, there will be at least one new episode of Joey in March (after the Olympics) according to Spoilerfix ...

My best friend sticks by this show. Its so funny, i make fun of her all the time, only because we know noone else who watches it

ART VAN DELAY

ART VAN DELAY

• Pip
  • 1,337 posts
biggrin.gif Glad to see SCRUBS coming back !!!!!!!

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
QUOTE(Dade @ Dec 12 2005, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Courtesy of: AOL TELEVISION

Mid-Season TV: New and Returning Show Premiere Dates

Been wondering where the heck '24' has been? Missed the quick wit of 'Scrubs'? Dying to hear the next pop superstar on 'American Idol'? No worries, both are back for midseason. Here's a quick list of returning faves and brand new shows that'll give you something to look forward to beyond the post-holiday blues.
Note: New shows listed in bold.
SUN., JAN. 1
10PM – 'In Justice' (ABC)

TUE., JAN. 3
9PM – 'Scrubs' (NBC, one-hour premiere)

THU., JAN. 5
8PM – 'Dancing With the Stars' (ABC, two-hour premiere)
8:30PM – 'Four Kings' (NBC)

FRI., JAN. 6
8PM – 'Most Outrageous TV Moments' (NBC)
8PM – 'Stargate: SG-1' (SCI FI)
9PM – 'In Justice' (ABC, time period debut)
9PM – 'The Book of Daniel' (NBC, two-hour premiere)
9PM – 'Stargate Atlantis' (SCI FI)
10PM – 'Battlestar Galactica' (SCI FI)

SUN., JAN. 8
10PM – 'Campus Ladies' (OXYGEN)
10PM – 'The L Word' (SHOWTIME)

MON., JAN. 9
9PM – 'Emily's Reasons Why Not' (ABC)
9:30PM – 'Jake in Progress' (ABC)
10PM – 'The Bachelor' (ABC)

TUE., JAN. 10
10PM – 'The Shield' (FX)

WED., JAN. 11
10PM – 'South Beach' (UPN, two-hour premiere)

THU., JAN. 12
9:30PM – 'Crumbs' (ABC)

FRI., JAN. 13
10PM – 'The Book of Daniel' (NBC, time period debut)
10PM – 'Monk' (USA)

SUN., JAN. 15
8PM – '24' (FOX, two-hour premiere)

MON., JAN. 16
8PM – '24' (FOX, back-to-back new episodes)

TUE., JAN. 17
8PM – 'American Idol' (FOX, two-hour premiere)
10PM – 'Love Monkey' (CBS)

WED., JAN. 18
9PM – 'Skating With the Celebrities' (FOX)

MON., JAN. 23
8PM – 'Skating With the Celebrities' (FOX, time period debut)
9:30PM – 'The Jenna Elfman Show' (CBS)

TUE., JAN. 24
9PM – 'Love Monkey (CBS, time period debut)
9PM – 'Get This Party Started' (UPN)

Courtsey of: TV GUIDE SPECIAL

Sunday, January 29
8 pm | Screen Actors Guild Awards (TNT, TBS)

January, Premiere Date TBA
Surreal Life (VH1)

Sunday, February 5
6:25 pm | Super Bowl (ABC)

Wednesday, February 8
6:25 pm | Grammy Awards (CBS)

Friday, February 10
8 pm | Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony (NBC)

Wednesday, February 8
8 pm | Academy Awards (ABC)

Tuesday, March 7
10 pm | Nashville Star (USA)

March, Premiere Dates TBA
The Sopranos (HBO)
Survivor (CBS)
The Contender (ESPN)

Mid-season, Premiere Dates TBA
Amazing Race (CBS)
The Bedford Diaries (WB)
Big Love (HBO)
Conviction (NBC)
The Evidence (ABC)
Free Ride (Fox)
Knight School (ESPN)
Less Than Perfect (ABC)
The Loop (Fox)
The Miracle Workers (ABC)
Misconceptions (WB)
Modern Men (WB)
The New Adventures of Old Christine (CBS)
Pepper Dennis (WB)
Sons & Daughters (ABC)
Teachers (NBC)
Thick & Thin (NBC)
The Unit (CBS)
What About Brian (ABC)
Windfall (NBC)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users