All My Children

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#161 jenw_72

jenw_72

• Pip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

Oh great! Of course I missed today's show...But I can prollt download the torrent for it this weekend though.
Was it as good as you thought it was gonna be?

#162 CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:28 AM

it was amazing!! you definitely should watch it.. Darnell Williams and debbi morgan continue to impress me.. I normally dont cry during tv/movies but i definitely teared up in their reunion scene...I hope they resolve everything soon... Jessie is still saying that he needs to stay away from his family but i want them to stay togther! they are my fav family on AMC right now..

#163 jenw_72

jenw_72

• Pip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:06 AM

I do have the torrent downloaded.Now just to find the time to watch it..lmao

#164 Marty

Marty

• Pip
  • 30,354 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

Wow I have to say AMC has been really exciting lately.

Sad to loose Julia.

#165 TV_Paige

TV_Paige

Forum Host

• Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

Obituary

'All My Children' Actress Eileen Herlie

'All My Children' Actress Eileen Herlie

NEW YORK CITY, New York -- Eileen Herlie, a stage and TV actress who appeared on the ABC daytime soap opera, "All My Children," for more than three decades as former carny turned boutique owner, Myrtle Fargate, died Wednesday, October 8 of complications of pneumonia in New York City, the network announced. She was 90.

The actress joined the long-running show in 1976 to play Myrtle, who became a surrogate mother to many of the soap's major characters -- including Erica Kane, portrayed by Susan Lucci. "I'm sure Eileen is lighting up the skies in heaven with her flaming red hair and lovely Scottish accent," Lucci said.

Herlie's last appearance on the program, set in fictional Pine Valley, was in June. Before joining "All My Children," Herlie was a regular on Broadway. She made her debut in Thornton Wilder's "The Matchmaker" in 1955, playing milliner Irene Molloy in the comedy that starred Ruth Gordon as Dolly Gallagher Levi.

'All My Children' Co-Stars (L-R) Jill Larson as Opal, Eileen
Herlie as Myrtle and Lee Merriweather as Ruth

Musical Theater buffs knew Herlie from her appearances in two shows. The first show is the 1959 musical, "Take Me Along," an adaptation of Eugene O'Neill's "Ah, Wilderness!," in which she played Jackie Gleason's love interest. Herlie was nominated for a Tony Award for her performance in "Take Me Along."

The second show is the 1962 musical, "All American," in which Herlie co-starred with Ray Bolger. In "All American," she and Bolger sang the musical's best-known song, "Once Upon a Time," a Charles Strouse-Lee Adams tune later popularized by Tony Bennett.

Among Herlie's other Broadway appearances were the Richard Burton 1964 production of "Hamlet," in which she played Queen Gertrude and two plays written by Peter Ustinov, "Photo Finish" in 1963 and "Halfway Up the Tree" in 1967.

The 1948 cast of 'Hamlet' included (L-R) Eileen
Herlie, Sir Laurence Olivier (seated) and Basil
Sydney

Another Broadway triumph for Herlie was 1973's "Crown Matrimonial," a drama about the events leading to the abdication of King Edward VIII, in which Herlie portrayed Queen Mary and George Grizzard played the love-stricken monarch.

Born in 1918 in Glasgow, Scotland, Herlie worked for several years in the Scottish National Theater and in the English Theater with Tyrone Guthrie. Among the many hit London plays Herlie appeared in was Jean Cocteau's "The Eagle Has Two Heads."

Her movie credits include two filmings of "Hamlet," the Burton version and the 1948 Laurence Olivier production, in which she also played Gertrude. Her other movies include "Freud" in 1962 with Montgomery Clift, and Sidney Lumet's "The Sea Gull" in 1968 with Simone Signoret, James Mason and Vanessa Redgrave.

Married and divorced twice, Herlie is survived by a brother, nieces and nephews.

#166 maryinGA

maryinGA

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the info.....Didn't know that "Myrtle" had passed. What a great lady she was!! I guess "Opal" is taking over where she left off.....almost!!

#167 jenw_72

jenw_72

• Pip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

Did they do a tribute to her on AMC?I missed a few shows and don't even know if they killed her off the show or just let her vanish from it.

#168 A_BB_Aholic

A_BB_Aholic

• Pip
  • 994 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

They did not write her off on screen, but am not sure if they did an end of show tribute cause I missed two episodes right after she passed.

#169 pinkie

pinkie

• Pip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

ALL MY CHILDREN will dedicate the Dec. 19 episode to Eileen Herlie (and Pine Valley's Myrtle Fargate), who passed away on Oct. 8 at the age of 90. The episode will include flashbacks of Myrtle's 32 years on the ABC soap.

#170 jenw_72

jenw_72

• Pip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:13 AM

That's good,she has been on that show a lot of yrs and they should have a tribute for her.

#171 A_BB_Aholic

A_BB_Aholic

• Pip
  • 994 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the info, Pinkie. Gotta make sure that I actually watch instead of FF that epi

#172 amclvfan

amclvfan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

Does anyone know exactly what Zack said in his dedication prayer/poem to Myrtle on Friday's episode? Or was it just something the writers made up? At any rate, it was great, very tear-jerking episode!

amclvfan

#173 TV_Paige

TV_Paige

Forum Host

• Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

Obituary

'All My Children' Actor James Mitchell

Actor James Mitchell

LOS ANGELES, California James Mitchell, an accomplished dancer as well as a Broadway, film and television veteran actor who logged a 30-year run on ABC's "All My Children," died in Los Angeles on Friday, January 22, of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and complications from pneumonia, according to ABC. He was 89.

The thespian made his final appearance recently on "All My Children" on January 5, on the episode that marked the soap opera's 40th anniversary. Mitchell was a mainstay of the show from 1979-2008, playing Palmer Cortlandt, the wealthy patriarch of one of the fictional Pine Valley's most prominent families. Mitchell was known as the male Susan Lucci because he was nominated a dozen times for Daytime Emmy Awards without ever winning. Before "All My Children," Mitchell spent four years on the ABC daytime soap, "Where the Heart Is."

Mitchell was born February 29, 1920 and spent his youth in Sacramento, California, Mitchell received his theater degree from Los Angeles City College. Mitchell first made his mark as a dancer, learning his craft at the school of the famed teacher and choreographer, Lester Horton, and afterwards joining his company for four years. Horton took him to New York to found a new company, but after the venture failed, he successfully auditioned for a role in the Agnes de Mille-choreographed musical, "Bloomer Girl."

James Mitchell as Palmer (left) enjoys the power
he has over actress Kate Collins as Natalie (right)
on the ABC soap opera, 'All My Children'

Mitchell and de Mille would work together for 25 years on a variety of projects. De Mille's biographer, Carol Easton, describes him as the "quintessential male de Mille dancer" and, in one of her autobiographical volumes, de Mille herself said of Mitchell that he had "probably the strongest arms in the business, and the adagio style developed by him and his partners has become since a valued addition to ballet vocabulary."

Mitchell soon landed leading roles in a number of Broadway musicals, including "Brigadoon," "Billion Dollar Baby," "Carousel," "Carnival" and "Paint Your Wagon." He appeared with the American Ballet Theater in New York and toured Europe and South America and The Agnes de Mille Dance Theater. He appeared in touring productions of "Funny Girl," opposite Carol Lawrence, and "The King and I," opposite Ann Blyth, among other legit productions. Later in his career, Mitchell taught dance and movement at Yale University and Drake University in Iowa.

Mitchell's film roles include the 1985 hoofer retrospective, "That's Dancing" and 1977's "The Turning Point" with Shirley MacLaine, Anne Bancroft and Mikhail Baryshnikov. Earlier film roles included 1953's "The Band Wagon" with Fred Astaire and 1954's "Deep in My Heart" with Cyd Charisse. Most notably, Mitchell was "the dream Curly" in 1955's "Oklahoma" with Shirley Jones, Gordon MacRae and Rod Steiger.

Survivors include his longtime partner, Academy Award-winning costume designer Albert Wolsky. A memorial service is pending.

Additional Photos

Portraits

Actor James Mitchell through the years

'All My Children'

Actor James Mitchell as Palmer (top)
was not Johnny's pop, unbeknownst to
actress Candice Early as Donna (seated)
on the ABC soap opera, 'All My Children'

Actor David Canary as Adam Chandler (left) and
actor James Mitchell as Palmer (right) on the ABC
soap opera, 'All My Children'

'The Turning Point'

Actor James Mitchell as Michael (left) and actress Anne
Bancroft as Emma (right) in the film, 'The Turning Point'

#174 jenw_72

jenw_72

• Pip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

wow i didnt hear of him passing.He was just on the 40th anniversary show.

#175 cablejockey

cablejockey

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

wow i didnt hear of him passing.He was just on the 40th anniversary show.

Has anyone been watching lately? With half the old timers gone and newer less talents arriving every week, I bet not. I must be a glutton for punishment because I am watching--half watching most days--still not too happy with whats going on. I see that Annie is on the way out, and I kind of liked her perseverance! David is hanging by a thread and Ryan seems to be getting his hands dirty while still maintaining he's a good guy!!!

#176 jenw_72

jenw_72

• Pip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

I haven't watched amc in a LONG time,but did tune in one day and didn't like what I seen. I cannot believe they killed off Zach. I was not happy with this at all. Other then that I was so lost. LOL

#177 jenw_72

jenw_72

• Pip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:23 AM

I just heard all my children is going off the air. I havent watched it in months but I am still shocked

#178 pinkie

pinkie

• Pip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

They cancelled One Life to Live as well..... it's very sad.

Just a matter of time til they are all gone :(

I haven't watched a Soap since ATWT went off the air

#179 jenw_72

jenw_72

• Pip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:11 AM

They cancelled One Life to Live as well..... it's very sad.

Just a matter of time til they are all gone :(

I haven't watched a Soap since ATWT went off the air

Yeah I know and they are replacing the 2 shows with some kinda health shows or something like that... rolls eyes dumb move if you ask me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users