Sign in to follow this  
Phil-o-mania

TAR Host Phil Keoghan

I

He's hot, so I don't care if he's a little boring.

a Little boring..

atleast Jeff jokes around and makes fun of people, and stuff.. he has a personality..., but not so much with Phil.

Courtesy of: THE FUTON CRITIC

PHIL KEOGHAN OF CBS'S "THE AMAZING RACE" RIDES ACROSS AMERICA PRESENTED BY GNC LIVE WELL

Released by CBS

[02.25.09 - 11:15 AM]

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHIL KEOGHAN OF CBS's "THE AMAZING RACE" RIDES ACROSS AMERICA PRESENTED BY GNC LIVE WELL

Keoghan To Embark on a 40 Day, Coast-to-Coast Bike Ride Across America, Averaging 100 Miles Per Day, Covering Over 3,500 Miles Total with Pit Stops in Over 30 Cities

Phil Keoghan, host of CBS's THE AMAZING RACE, will embark on his boldest adventure yet - cycling from Los Angeles to New York - a ride that will average 100 miles per day for a total of over 3,500 miles, spanning 40 days with pit stops in over 30 different cities.

"I fly over 400,000 miles a year and I figured it was time to stretch my legs. I love to ride so I thought I'd see what this great country looks like up close instead of taking a bird's eye view at 30,000 feet," said Keoghan. "In this economic climate, bike riding makes a lot of sense - it's good for your waistline and easy on your wallet."

Phil Keoghan's "Ride Across America Presented by GNC" will kickoff on March 28 in Los Angeles and end on May 9 (the day before the finale of THE AMAZING RACE 14) in New York. Along the way, he'll attend meet and greets with supporters at local GNC stores, visit CBS affiliates, attend open-casting calls for the next installment of THE AMAZING RACE, sign copies of his best-selling book No Opportunity Wasted, and ride alongside ex-Racers and fans of THE AMAZING RACE. He will also be participating in rallies hosted by the National MS Society to build awareness for Bike MS and the MS movement.

"All of us at GNC are extremely impressed with Phil's commitment and dedication to living a healthy lifestyle," stated Tom Dowd, Executive Vice President, Stores, Operations & Development for GNC. "Having been fans of the 'The Amazing Race' and Phil from the first season, we recognized what a great opportunity this was to partner with him."

Phil Keoghan's "Ride Across America" includes visits to such cities as: Las Vegas; Denver; Lincoln, Neb.; Des Moines, Iowa; Chicago; Fort Wayne, Ind.; Columbus, Ohio; Pittsburgh; Washington D.C.; Baltimore; Philadelphia and New York. Phil's exact route will be released soon.

"We're also very excited to have the opportunity to be the sole retailer of Phil's new nutritional product, NOW OSM 'One Square Meal,' a total meal replacement that is guaranteed to be a top seller at our GNC stores," added Dowd.

THE AMAZING RACE 14 airs Sundays (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

About GNC:

GNC, headquartered in Pittsburgh, is the largest global specialty retailer of nutritional products; including vitamin, mineral, herbal and other specialty supplements and sports nutrition, diet and energy products. GNC has more than 6,500 retail locations throughout the United States (including approximately 1,000 franchise and 1,718 Rite Aid store-within-a-store locations) and franchise operations in 52 international markets. The company - which is dedicated to helping consumers Live Well - also offers products and product information online at GNC.com.

About Bike MS:

100 rides. One destination. A world free of MS. Bike MS is the premier fundraising cycling series in the nation. To date, Bike MS has raised nearly $700 million to help people with MS. With over 100 unique bike rides across the country, there is one right ride for everyone. For those who accept the challenge, it will be the most rewarding journey they ever make. Visit bikeMS.org.

Come by my house, Phil!!! Pretty please?

Phil Keoghan blogs 'The Amazing Race': episode 3

You know you have another great episode when you've got quotes like these:

I personally don't want to see you in a unitard. That's just not sexy.

I'm not wearing that girl's leotard.

I don't want to stay here tonight. It's kind of freaky.

I want my frickin' medal.

I think your brain just froze.

Gotta keep our eye out for Dracula.

Why are we driving on the sidewalk?

Look, we're doing so great.

Tell me when we're going to stop.

My Superwoman leotard is full of poop.

Go ahead. Scare me. I don't even care.

We're alive and that's what matters.

You know that feeling you get when you're being chased in a dream and you can't seem to run fast enough? Well it's a feeling many of us in production get during the Race. The reality is it's not a dream, we are being chased...all the time. I'm constantly getting calls from my colleagues making sure I'm heading to the next location to stay slightly ahead of the teams at each event. The challenge is maximizing my time so I can shoot something for my behind-the-scenes diaries. There's nothing worse than rushing away from a great location and missing out on sharing something cool. Check out my second diary and you'll see what I'm talking about. I really wanted to hang with those paragliders, but we got word teams were arriving at the bottom of the mountain. As a matter of fact, when I got down to my car I saw a couple of teams running up to the gondola. I always keep myself out of sight just so they don't get the feeling they are on the right track.

The one spot I was really keen to hang at during last night's leg was Olympic gold medalist Nadia Comaneci's old gym. Looks like we've all been saying Nadia's last name incorrectly. Coman-nich, not Coman-nichi. Grown men in tights, mmmm, there is something very wrong with that. Clearly some of the racers agreed "...I personally don't want to see you in a unitard. That's just not sexy." "...I

Phil Keoghan blogs 'The Amazing Race': episode 4

Luke and Margie's decision to use the U-turn really got some reaction. Is it dirty to use an element of the game? Is the idea that racers should make choices that keep them in the good books with everyone or should they simply do what they can to beat out teams they think are a threat?

From my point of view, I like that people are prepared to stir things up while following the rules. Certainly it makes for great content. Sad that Amanda and Kris have gone. I think they had the potential to stir things up down the track.

Writing this blog sure has increased the number of Race questions I have been getting. Clearly it is impossible to please everyone or answer every single question but I thought I would try and address a few. Beware...some of you may say, "Come on Phil, I know that!" For those of you who do, I apologize.

Firstly, when it comes to pronouncing the various location names etc. people wonder how we arrive at making certain choices. The fact is at times we really get stumped and there have been a number of extended phone calls checking and rechecking the phonetic way to say a certain word with local producers, on the computer and with references gathered by those in production. In general we try and go with what people know or what the locals use. That said, sometimes locals themselves will give us many different options. I like to record some of the tougher location names with a local on camera for reference. If you saw my video diary at the gym in Romania you will have heard one of the ways Comaneci was pronounced. Checking with other locals I heard it the way we all know it and a few other versions too. In the end we stuck with the most common use. Pronounciation can be completely subjective. I had many people tell me I say Keoghan wrong.

Yes, teams do have to buy 4 tickets at airports to cover their crew. Since we don't see the crew we don't have them on camera saying 4, just 2 for the 2 you can see. Essentially, if there are not 4 seats the team can't go. There are lots of process things that obviously wouldn't make great TV. For instance, there has to be releases for each person on camera, location releases, lots of things that take a lot of time but things that we have to do as part of making the show.

As far as teams going off track, one of the biggest challenges is keeping crews loaded with tapes and batteries. When a team goes off into the wild like Tammy and Victor did, tape and battery power become a real issue especially when the crew has no idea how long they're going to be out. Now when there's no cell service to call in support...well you get the picture. The crew is already heavily loaded with gear (self sufficient) so those extra miles really take a toll on them.

While lost teams can make for good TV, it really can make life challenging for all of us. Crews work a different team each leg so when things get really spread out that can really make the turnaround tough. When I first started in television I trained as a film camera assistant. Over the years I have continued to shoot, and being able to operate is something that has come in really handy over the years. One of the toughest things about shooting is having a camera on your shoulder for an extended period. Broadcast cameras weigh anywhere from 20-30 pounds. That kind of weight in a backpack is one thing but when it is high up on a shoulder on one side of your body hour after hour, believe me, it really takes some effort. The guys on our show are definitely on the tough side and deserve huge respect.

Absolutely agree with those who have asked about other Race seasons on DVD. I have shared my opinion with a number of people at CBS. In the end I think the fans will have to lobby in numbers. I obviously don't have the pull in that department.

Kransnoyark was cold but next week we will take cold to a whole new level with some bare flesh and pixilation!

Phil's Blog

Phil's Diary

Elimination Station

I had NO idea they each had a crew following them...it makes total sense but it's just something I never gave any thought to. Nor did I know about purchasing 4 tickets...weird.

As far as teams going off track, one of the biggest challenges is keeping crews loaded with tapes and batteries. When a team goes off into the wild like Tammy and Victor did, tape and battery power become a real issue especially when the crew has no idea how long they're going to be out. Now when there's no cell service to call in support...well you get the picture. The crew is already heavily loaded with gear (self sufficient) so those extra miles really take a toll on them.

That's something I hadn't thought about. I wonder if Tammy and Victor's team were annoyed with Victor when he wouldn't listen to Tammy. heh, heh. I wonder if they can't talk to them at all but just follow along filming silently?

Yeah, It's not like when I watch Bear Grylls on Man Vs. Wild and thats about the only thing I can think of is- the poor crew that has to tag along!

I thought Phil looked fairly yummy in his undies for a pasty white boy :animated_rotfl:

Now who do we have to pay over at Survivor to get Jeff in his!!!

lol Pinkie, I came to say the same thing... well, minus the Jeff part... and the pasty white part too. But hahaha

Phil Keoghan blogs 'The Amazing Race': episode 5

Loved last night's episode. Talk about taking people out of their comfort zone. The racers got a firsthand taste of the frigid Russian climate we've grown to love on this show. I've never seen so many stunned locals in my life.

People always ask me what goes on while I'm waiting for the teams. Well, we never really know exactly how much time there is in between so we all stay close to the mat, at times for up to 19 hours. Back in season 2, we were in the middle of the Hong Kong harbor with people hurling over the side while waiting for Teams to arrive - that was a little rough - but being out of the cold and sharing time with these talented people was a real buzz.

At the pit-stops, I shoot the welcome to the pit-stop stand up, (explaining that teams have to come to a specific spot) then the opening for the next show. If there is a good spread between the teams then I get longer interviews with teams at the mat...sometimes up to 30 minutes each depending on what they want to share. Talking to the teams is actually the best part of everything I do. I love the energy they bring to the mat and capturing their emotions in the moment. The other thing I try and complete is a Phil's Diary segment.

No matter how much we prepare for teams arriving they still sneak up on us

There's just something about him. He's not physically the most attractive at all, but he has some sort of charm to him. I don't know what it is, but it's like that kind of hott geeky guy that you just want to jump!