Perception

PhatDaddyG

It's funny. We all see things differently, this is called our perception. Perception is a funny thing. We see something and interpret things the way we want to see them. One person will see a man rise up and glare at a woman as a threatening gesture and another person will see it as a pre-cursor to physically abusing a woman. One person will see a man harmlessly flirting with women and another person will see it as sexual harassment. All of these perceptions are unfortunately directly related to something that has happened to a person in their course of life. For example, let's say that as a child you grew up and your father abused your mother. Now obviously you saw many signs that led to the conclussion that he was going to strike her, i.e. having a menacing look on his face and rising up out of his dinner chair, sofa, or recliner. Now in your brain you will associate this behaviour from anybody else as an act of violence. Perhaps you used to be the type of person who was very flirtatious towards women and one day your flirtations were mis-interpreted or not appreciated and some woman went and cried sexual harassment. Now you being directly involved in that, and shocked, will obviously see that any time a man does anything flirtatious will result in sexual harassment. Now I'm not accusing anybody of doing any of these things or living any of these. All I'm saying here is that we need to get a grip on reality a little bit and realise nobody is going to see eye to eye on everything or anything for that matter. There are always two sides to every coin. I write this because I think we are losing our perspective on things. I honestly believe that people here are desperately trying to do anything in their power to change the way people perceive something that went on. I also believe that they are going out of their way by using half truths and relying on their memory, which you cannot do because you are being biased, to force their point of view across. It's not working, you cannot make someone else see your side of things unless the other person is willing to change. Unfortunately it takes a calm head and doing your homework and research to really change someone else's point of view. Look how long it took for somebody to convince the world was round and not flat. If you are going to argue with somebody have all of your ducks in a row and have the statistical or factual proof behind you to back you up. At least this way you'll look intelligent and not just some hypocritical dumb*ss.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you have stated is true!

My perception is that some people like to take the true context of meaning out of posters words to benefit their own agenda. I also see alot of philosophical bs written that doesn't have a place on a BB chat board. I believe anyone who is that philosophical about life doesn't truly understand that it's just a game, a competition, the shrewdest person wins the cash. I also see that posts have become somewhat of an intellectual race to the finish of sorts - many are too long and boring to actually read and by the end of the writings the original thought is lost and actual meaning swept into a page long essay on why that poster considers himself/herself the crowning jewel of intellectuality.

Let's face it, anyone can google their way into a discussion with the use of internet...so my perception is that posters who think they may be above and beyond other posters are fooling no one but themselves.

P.S. Not to picky, but many of those essays written have many grammatical errors such as mispellings and only leads me to believe they are not as smart as they would like other board members to think they are.

Less is better!

P.S. Not to picky, but many of those essays written have many grammatical errors such as mispellings and only leads me to believe they are not as smart as they would like other board members to think they are.

Less is better!

Not to be picky, but it's "misspellings."

;)

Yes, it is...but then again I said what I had to say in less than five paragraphs(and kept short and sweet) and I also don't think I am above and beyond other posters on this board.

Excellent to hear!!

Short and sweet as well as modesty is greatly appreciated. T'would be nice to see more of it.

What you have stated is true!

My perception is that some people like to take the true context of meaning out of posters words to benefit their own agenda. I also see alot of philosophical bs written that doesn't have a place on a BB chat board. I believe anyone who is that philosophical about life doesn't truly understand that it's just a game, a competition, the shrewdest person wins the cash. I also see that posts have become somewhat of an intellectual race to the finish of sorts - many are too long and boring to actually read and by the end of the writings the original thought is lost and actual meaning swept into a page long essay on why that poster considers himself/herself the crowning jewel of intellectuality.

Let's face it, anyone can google their way into a discussion with the use of internet...so my perception is that posters who think they may be above and beyond other posters are fooling no one but themselves.

Less is better!

AMEN TO ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!

It's funny. We all see things differently, this is called our perception. Perception is a funny thing. We see something and interpret things the way we want to see them. One person will see a man rise up and glare at a woman as a threatening gesture and another person will see it as a pre-cursor to physically abusing a woman. One person will see a man harmlessly flirting with women and another person will see it as sexual harassment. All of these perceptions are unfortunately directly related to something that has happened to a person in their course of life. For example, let's say that as a child you grew up and your father abused your mother. Now obviously you saw many signs that led to the conclussion that he was going to strike her, i.e. having a menacing look on his face and rising up out of his dinner chair, sofa, or recliner. Now in your brain you will associate this behaviour from anybody else as an act of violence. Perhaps you used to be the type of person who was very flirtatious towards women and one day your flirtations were mis-interpreted or not appreciated and some woman went and cried sexual harassment. Now you being directly involved in that, and shocked, will obviously see that any time a man does anything flirtatious will result in sexual harassment. Now I'm not accusing anybody of doing any of these things or living any of these. All I'm saying here is that we need to get a grip on reality a little bit and realise nobody is going to see eye to eye on everything or anything for that matter. There are always two sides to every coin. I write this because I think we are losing our perspective on things. I honestly believe that people here are desperately trying to do anything in their power to change the way people perceive something that went on. I also believe that they are going out of their way by using half truths and relying on their memory, which you cannot do because you are being biased, to force their point of view across. It's not working, you cannot make someone else see your side of things unless the other person is willing to change. Unfortunately it takes a calm head and doing your homework and research to really change someone else's point of view. Look how long it took for somebody to convince the world was round and not flat. If you are going to argue with somebody have all of your ducks in a row and have the statistical or factual proof behind you to back you up. At least this way you'll look intelligent and not just some hypocritical dumb*ss.

That's so true - are you a middle child or something (ha ha - because you understand both sides and like to referee :D )

I think part of the problem is that you can't always tell what situations are just a matter of perception/opinion/personal bias, and what situations are objectively true.

Like for example, people always comment on my 'enthusiasm' or hyperactivity. The only people who don't and think my energy levels are 'normal' are other hyperactive people. So part of that is just a matter of perspective because it's based on that person's own relative level of hyperactivity. BUT the objective truth is that both of us are in fact exceptionally hyperactive, so for me to argue against a 'normal' person that I am not hyperactive because another hyperactive person doesn't think that I am would be objectively wrong, wouldn't it?

So is it just a matter of perspective to say the nerd herd bashing was worse than the S6 bashing, or is it possible to say the nerd herd bashing was worse and be objectively right? IE Maybe the people who can't tell that the nerd herd bashing was worse have something wrong with them - a Bashing Deficit Disorder (BDD) if you will?

Summary: Aren't S6 supporters right and S6 bashers wrong? :lol:

Yes, it is...but then again I said what I had to say in less than five paragraphs(and kept short and sweet) and I also don't think I am above and beyond other posters on this board.

LMAO Too funny that in an attempt to rip people about their spelling you make yourself look like a condescending idiot.

Good Job Snaps, I needed a laugh and it's on you.

Guest Shockalot

Im also having a laugh but not about spellchecking.

Its funny how someone can post such an assertion... then argue against certainty.

:o

Phat reminds me of the Philosophy Prof who asserts to his class "There is not such thing as 'Absolute Truth'" to which the new student replies "Are you saying that is absolutely true?"

What other things are funny about this?

Well Phat is taking a position that is standing above others and then suggesting his perception is correct.

What else is funny?:

Look how long it took for somebody to convince the world was round and not flat. If you are going to argue with somebody have all of your ducks in a row and have the statistical or factual proof behind you to back you up. At least this way you'll look intelligent and not just some hypocritical dumb*ss.

You mean like stating nonsensical myths that the te World thought the Earth was flat and someone convinced them otherwise?

Pretty much everyone in human history of the World also knew the world (Earth) was round.

Nobody had to 'convince' people of something they already knew.

Is that what you meant by posting things and being a 'hypocritical dumbass' Phat?

Then again what else is funny?

Maybe the Earth is just as 'truthfully' flat since its only true depending on your 'perception'.

What may look like a round Earth to everyone with eyeballs might look flat to monkeys with depth perception problems - therefore - its not really round or flat right?

What else is funny?

A guy sneaks up on an unsuspecting woman and bites her on her naked buttocks then while she recoils and protests he has a big 'getting off' look on his face as he watches her fearful offended reaction.

Later she reports being highly offended.

He does similar things to other women.

Refuses to apoogise.

.... and you actually think its 'flirting' just depending on how you look at it.

YET

If a guy did that to you - your 'perception' would do a 360

Anyways.. lots of funny things in there Phat.

Thoughtful, thought provoking and yet, aslo, at the same time, in addition too Pure KaysarKultism.

(especialy with the moral relativism.. a 'hallmark' of KaysarBangers)

Well done!

Ah Shock. Bro. You never cease to amaze me with your witicism and intelligence. I guess that while I was in school I just perceived that I was reading a history book and recall it saying something to the effect that everybody thought that if you sailed far enough into the ocean you'd fall off the earth. I guess I also perceived that Christopher Columbus believed he could find an alternate route to the Indies by sailing out to sea and AROUND to the other side in the Indies to get spices and make an easier route for Spain. Oh and you are correct about someone not having depth perception seeing the world as flat, nevermind that satellites in outerspace send back images of the earth as being a circular object. Also nevermind that you are referring to an animal not a human being. I never said that my perception was correct matter of fact I thought I said that we all perceive things differently based on our learnings in life. By you suggesting that I'm suggesting my perception is correct, does that mean that your perception is correct? Hmmm....interesting. Oh and you know what else is funny? That once again you prove my point about perception when you relate your Michael incident. That is how you perceive it bro, me on the other hand, can't say that I saw it that way. Perhaps somebody with an unbiased opinion of BB could review the live feeds for us and report back in a non-biased way what really did happen. As far as a guy biting me on the butt....well being that I'm a heterosexual, therefore biased, I'd have to agree with you. I'd probably punch the crap out of him and call him a homosexual. I don't think I'd scream sexual harassment though, or do you perceive that I would and know me better than I know myself?

Guest Shockalot

Im sure there were some funny individual cultures or Plebs in any culture who had some notion or tales about the Earth having an actual physical end.

If you were in school or have ever gone camping and spent 10 minutes looking at stars at night... you would know that peoples of this Earth knew full well the Earth was round.

It wasnt even a 'debate'.

Romans did not know there was another continent (NA) on the other side of them but they speculated there was based on their calculations of the circumference of the Earth which was off by about 200 miles.

Ancient Jews, Egyptians, Myans.. the list goes on and on of civilisations who all knew very well the Earth was round.

Columbus did not think the Earth was flat and neither did any slightly informed people of his day.

You would be thinking of 'wackjobs' that came along here and there with the theory. Most of these wierdos were not taken seriously.

What you probably heard was the common 'Revised' story of Columbus often retold where Columbus becomes a sort of 'Atheist' Champion who in a John the Baptist way defies the Authorities (in this case old, rich pompous white christian males) and goes to 'bet his life' that Science will defeat Religion.

The 'Lesson' for students is that now they see how obvious the entire Earth is - how much more easily should any other critisisms of religion be accepted?

Much more easily.

None of its true.

The Church was all for the Christian Columbus to go right ahead and make it around to India.

He would have too.. if it werent for North America being in the way.

Oh yes, that's right ALL the history books have it wrong. Of course, thank you for pointing that out to me. Seeing as how the majority of people in the world at the time of good ol' Cris Columbo didn't have any kind of formal eduction they obviously knew that all the educated people in the world were lying to them when they informed them of the earth being flat, the earth was the center of the galaxy, and the sun and moon revolved around the earth. How silly of me to not know that. I bow to you and your superior intellect. Please forgive me of my ignorance. I mean all the sailors out there were only told that if they sailed too far they would fall off of the planet just so that the rulers of the nations they served could maintain a tight leash on their ships and not have silly thoughts of sailing around the world and possibly losing their investments. We all know that the sailors knew better than that, just had to do what their owners told them to do.

LMAO Too funny that in an attempt to rip people about their spelling you make yourself look like a condescending idiot.

Good Job Snaps, I needed a laugh and it's on you.

Actually the laugh is on you. I have read your posts and you should post with a dictionary at your side. Good job to you, because you have brought unnecessary attention to yourself now. I will be correcting your every mistake. :D

P.S. I am neither condescending nor an idiot, but one thing is for sure I am not a POMPOUS, SELF-RIGHTEOUS KNOW IT ALL LIKE MANY ON THIS BOARD. Posting an opinion is just that and some think they are the be all and end all of chat boards.

P.P.S. Don't you think it is odd that people come on to this board after the show is over and reprimand others for posting their opinion. My favorite line is "get over it" and those posters should heed their own advice but mostly get over themselves.

Have your self a wonderful life BBsleeper

Romans did not know there was another continent (NA) on the other side of them but they speculated there was based on their calculations of the circumference of the Earth which was off by about 200 miles.

Ancient Jews, Egyptians, Myans.. the list goes on and on of civilisations who all knew very well the Earth was round.

Could you please post a bibliography of your sources? I have never heard of "Myans", maybe Mayans but I never realized they were a civilization that explored the world. I would never propose to be a scholar or know-it-all but am always willing to increase my knowledge.

Thank you for enlightening us all.

Guest ranster627

I have learned long ago that proof can always be found to justify any opinion. What is sad is that people set their opinions first and then justify them rather than waiting for the evidence before setting their minds to something ...

I respect, most of all, people who change their minds when the facts warrant changing. I think becoming entrenched too quickly with an opinion ends up just becoming a pride thing where people have become too invested to change their minds.

Case in point: I gave Eric an assumption of being okay because of his advertised profession, but came to change my mind about him based on his actions. I also fell in and out of like with Ivette where events and further understanding of the woman led me. In the end, while I didn't agree with many of her actions, my mind was more open to her. This was also my evolution with Maggie ... where I liked her right off, didn't like her WITH Eric, liked her as she came into her own, and downright respected her ability to control herself throughout the game.

Guest Shockalot

History books do not teach Phat or anyone else that people used to think the Earth was flat until it was proved otherwise.

This is a situation where its not my obligation to prove the rule to anyone.

You suggested people people should back up their claims with data a facts or be a dumbass hypocrite (by your standards I guess).

Your guilty of this by your own example!

Even now people are bluffing by saying "Ohhhh great Shockalot.. I guess everyoen is wronggg and only you are righttttt"

No.

You would think you would have even done a Google search on this topic before trying to bluff again.

What I told you was correct.

As far as 'Perceptions' go that is another story.

In your example you say that you percieve Michael as 'flirting' when he bites the buttocks or girls or sneaks his big toe closer and closer to their while they wear bikinis with a little 'guhhhh ya.. wanna JAM it in there' look on his face.

Well let me say this - there are people with 20/20 vision and people with retarded vision.

Please tell me you are not suggesting that all 'Perceptions' are equally valid because they simply are not.

If I tell you I perceive Eric as being a very relaxed human being then that is my perception sure.

Its also an incorrect perception.

At the very least its less valid than someone who percieves Eric as overly exciteable.

Many perceptions here in this season were very bad to freaking blind.

They are not equally valid with the better ones.

Thinking you saw Maggie trashtalk 'Sovs' MORE than they trashtalked 'FS' is simply poor perception but not 'equally valid' to more accurate or real ones.

Annnd nite.

Okay, now I know what's missing in this very accurate analysis - I thought maybe it was confusing subjective reality with objective truth, but I think what's missing is any discussion of value judgment. It's great to be accepting of people and say that there is no right and wrong, but the fact is that sometimes there is a right and wrong - especially when it comes to interpersonal conflict and invading another person's boundaries. The examples you give above aren't so much a matter of differences in 'perception' because we are all perceiving the same events, it's more a matter of differences in value judgment (unless somebody is in fact misperceiving a person's facial cues and body language due to personal bias, in which case their perception is in fact wrong)

The example you gave of in another thread of having biased perception when it comes to supporting our team (either S6 or friendship) was probably a better example of a matter that is largely perception. However if anybody were to ever sit down and count the number of bashing incidents attributable to both the S6 and friendship then that would be a quantifiable objective truth. The difficult part of arriving at the quantifiable objective truth however is in finding a universally agreed upon definition of what constitutes 'bashing' - this is where the value judgments would come in.

Great thought-provoking post Phat! :)

PS Don't know anything about that flat-earth/round-earth stuff though!

Well Shock, I'm going to leave it at this. I do not agree with you. I don't perceive it the way you do. And like I said in my original post, there is nothing you can say that will change my mind on this. I did do a google search on the subject since you mentioned that I should and here is what I've been able to find so far.

http://octopus.gma.org/space1/nav_map.html

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/nov99...57483.Sh.r.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/flat-earth

These are only a few that I found. Now one can argue that SOME people knew that the earth was round. However, nobody could prove it and I believe that the majority of people scoffed at those that supposedly knew that the earth was round because there was no way they could back up their claim. This is again what I'm talking about as far as perception goes. I never said that Maggie personally bashed the Sov group more than anybody in the house. However, I do perceive Maggie as being the leader of her group and that that group did more bashing than the other group did. I will never agree with you on Michael's behaviour in the house, something tells me you have gone to the extreme on this one (past experiences maybe) and there is no way you will ever change your mind on that so I'm not even going to bother with it.

Guest Shockalot

The links you are providing are pretty much confirming what I said earlier.

You would look to find cultures that are the exception to the rule and even then the best they do is find a 'square' map or use of terms like 'four corners of the earth' which is like future 'smarties' thinking we believe the Sun revolves around the Earth because we say 'Sunrise'.

Anyway.

Another popular revisionist mythology is where they take Galileo and revise it so that he is a cunning but oh-so-honest agnostic who one day puts his life on the line for science 'against' these old white rich christians who are narrow minded blah blah blahs.

The fact is, there was no big 'Church Teaching' in which everyone staunchly and dogmatically insisted the Earth was the might pompous centre of the Universe or they burned heretics blah blah blah.

Galileo was a Christian and was one of the very same Christians who innovated and invented what we now call 'Science'. He happened to be friends with the Pope and the Pope just held what was actually leftover theories from Old Romes days.

The fact is, The Pope was personally offended when Galileo got haughty over the discovery and probably a bit unpolite.

To this day the propaganda version is told along with the Columbus 'atheist champion' myth to trick schoolchildren into accepting secularism as some proven victor 'against' that bad old religion.

What is this thread anyway.

I need to go to bed people.

I said Good Day Sir!

annnnnd scene!

Could somebody who is perhaps a Friendship fan help me out here? Neb? BamaBelle? I don't seem to be getting my point across about perception to some people. I know that I used the example of the earth being flat, but I was trying to get that point across as a perception people had before we had things like satellites. I'm sure that there were people who knew that the earth was round, but I think the general concensus on the matter was that the vast majority perceived it to be flat. I also believe that until Christopher Columbus set out to prove the world was round and find an alternate route to the Indies that the world would have gone on believing that the earth was flat. And as far as proving you right, Shock, yes I did. So that you could see that I don't disbelieve what you are saying that SOME people knew that the world was round. I was simply trying to point out that while that may have been the case only the educated knew this and only the rich were educated at that time. So the majority of the world was uneducated and had no clue. They only had to go off of what they perceived. Am I making any sense here? This whole thread was started because I was trying to get people to realize that a lot of their arguments they have on this board is based off of their perceptions of what was going on in the BB house. At first, I'll admit, that I jumped into arguments not really thinking both sides out. Then I started wondering "Why are people saying these things, why don't they see it the way I do?" Which led me to the conclusion that we are basing our judgements on what we saw and how they affected us on an emotional level. Just trying to make people think a little next time before they go off on some kind of a rant and can't understand why people don't see it the way they do and why they want to so vehemently argue that case. Am I any clearer? If not somebody help.

Could somebody who is perhaps a Friendship fan help me out here? Neb? BamaBelle? I don't seem to be getting my point across about perception to some people. I know that I used the example of the earth being flat, but I was trying to get that point across as a perception people had before we had things like satellites. I'm sure that there were people who knew that the earth was round, but I think the general concensus on the matter was that the vast majority perceived it to be flat. I also believe that until Christopher Columbus set out to prove the world was round and find an alternate route to the Indies that the world would have gone on believing that the earth was flat. And as far as proving you right, Shock, yes I did. So that you could see that I don't disbelieve what you are saying that SOME people knew that the world was round. I was simply trying to point out that while that may have been the case only the educated knew this and only the rich were educated at that time. So the majority of the world was uneducated and had no clue. They only had to go off of what they perceived. Am I making any sense here? This whole thread was started because I was trying to get people to realize that a lot of their arguments they have on this board is based off of their perceptions of what was going on in the BB house. At first, I'll admit, that I jumped into arguments not really thinking both sides out. Then I started wondering "Why are people saying these things, why don't they see it the way I do?" Which led me to the conclusion that we are basing our judgements on what we saw and how they affected us on an emotional level. Just trying to make people think a little next time before they go off on some kind of a rant and can't understand why people don't see it the way they do and why they want to so vehemently argue that case. Am I any clearer? If not somebody help.

How old are you? If you dont' mind my asking.

Could somebody who is perhaps a Friendship fan help me out here? Neb? BamaBelle? I don't seem to be getting my point across about perception to some people.

What is the point which you are hoping to get across to 'some people' (ie me) - that you are right and I am wrong? Isn't that just a matter of perspective and shouldn't you have given up attempting to prove your rightness about one post ago in deference to my equally valid perspective?

Can't have it both ways PhatDaddyG ;)

PS Does conflict make you anxious or something? Why aren't you addressing your disagreements with me TO me? :blink:

Actually the laugh is on you. I have read your posts and you should post with a dictionary at your side. Good job to you, because you have brought unnecessary attention to yourself now. I will be correcting your every mistake. :D

P.S. I am neither condescending nor an idiot, but one thing is for sure I am not a POMPOUS, SELF-RIGHTEOUS KNOW IT ALL LIKE MANY ON THIS BOARD. Posting an opinion is just that and some think they are the be all and end all of chat boards.

P.P.S. Don't you think it is odd that people come on to this board after the show is over and reprimand others for posting their opinion. My favorite line is "get over it" and those posters should heed their own advice but mostly get over themselves.

Have your self a wonderful life BBsleeper

Ginger snaps,

You are a b. board bully and try your best and put down others for only giving opinions.

If someone wants to post a few paragraphs and you think it is too long to read here is a little tip. Skip it, don't read it, try that instead of ripping them for the length. Maybe someone else want's to read their post.

I could care less what you think about me but you seem to be the type that thinks you are one of the very few people who have anything worth saying.

I find you quite boring, not very bright and a homer.

A homer is someone that rationalizes all the views they support with biased judgment and is not at all objective.

Why don't you have another bag of chips or ginger snaps or powdered doughnuts but move the lap top off your chest and rotate every few hours so you don't get a bed sore.

Your opinion does not count anymore than anyone else

Ginger snaps,

You are a b. board bully and try your best and put down others for only giving opinions.

If someone wants to post a few paragraphs and you think it is too long to read here is a little tip. Skip it, don't read it, try that instead of ripping them for the length. Maybe someone else want's to read their post.

I could care less what you think about me but you seem to be the type that thinks you are one of the very few people who have anything worth saying.

I find you quite boring, not very bright and a homer.

A homer is someone that rationalizes all the views they support with biased judgment and is not at all objective.

Why don't you have another bag of chips or ginger snaps or powdered doughnuts but move the lap top off your chest and rotate every few hours so you don't get a bed sore.

Your opinion does not count anymore than anyone else’s does.

You're so full of it. look who the bully is....you started with me --i have never spoke with you on this board. LET US KNOW WHICH DOUBLE POSTER YOU ARE.

What's the matter you took offense to what I said about your diction, you don't like to be told something that you think is not true, you should of thought about that before you called me condescending.

What i highlighted on top shows your maturity level. FUNNY YOU DON'T TELL OFF THE REAL PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD WHO HAVE NO CONSIDERATION FOR OTHER'S OPINIONS.

Evidently you think my opinion doesn't count right - because you were the first one to post against me and you then you gave that qoute above.

GOOD JOB BBslapper you showed what an ASS YOU REALLY ARE.

Archived