Sign in to follow this  
Burnt

The race was fixed!

Fly - Sorry if you felt I was calling you a liar.. not my intent.... I would have specifically picked your post and replied to it if I wanted to call YOU and liar... What I was saying is that it is NOT COMMON to allow passengers to board once the flight is closed, which it is when the aircraft purser and the counter agent verify their counts match, and the jetway is taken away. If it is happening, it should not be as it is a HUGE security exposure. That American Airlines did it for contestants of a game show that was being recorded tells me that there should be some hard questions being asked of them.

Again, not intending to call anyone a liar, and if you felt I was, I apologize for that.

Guest ranster627

pre 9/11, it happened for me several times, if there were seats, and if the brakes were still on, that they would re-extend the ramp for me, mostly when I was trying to catch a next flight after being delayed by a first ...

I think in this case, they were holding anyway, and the flight wasn't taxi'ing yet, so they probably knew they had time to accomodate u/j.

Remember, even Romber got tickets when it was thought they shouldn't have time to catch it, and past the closing time of sales ...

Guest gailybb

Ok airline people...here is a question.. why were Rob and Amber allowed to leave their bags on the plane when they wanted to get off in a hurry? Doesn't that lead to a bomb suspicion and clearing out the airport?? or do you think the camera people grabbed it so they wouldn't get in trouble.? Rob said "maybe they will send it to us".. I can't imagine them being allowed to leave their backpacks on the plane and not creating a problem. Just wondering if others noticed and what your thoughts were.

Guest ranster627

Great question ... and I was so waiting for it to be asked ... my hunch is that it was all hype, and that someone from the filming crew grabbed it.

Other than that, lost and found is where it went, because it already presumably cleared security to get on the plane in the first place ...

They will take it to baggage claim and you can arrange to pick it up or have it sent to you. Happened to my girlfriend trying to get a connecting flight. The bags are throughly screened and as long as you traveled with the bags there's no bomb threat.

Any carry on luggage is x-rayed and examined before you get through security and to the gate area and eventually on the aircraft.

Thus if you leave your luggage on the aircraft by mistake it does, as one poster said, go to baggage claim and is tagged at the office.

They will either need to retrieve it themselves or arrange delivery.

morning update: On Live with Regis & Kelly - Kelly Ripa called the American Airlines plane that rolled back for Uchenna & Joyce a fix!

Series-high ratings for Amazing Race 7 finale; conspiracy theories abound about it.

From Andy Dehnart

Tuesday's finale of The Amazing Race 7 was watched by more people than have ever watched the show before. Slightly more than 16 million people tuned in, and Variety reports that the show "ends the season as the No. 5 reality show on television, having surpassed the fading 'Fear Factor' on NBC and 'The Bachelor' on ABC." The show came in first place in its second hour, and in second place its first hour; because of it, "CBS enjoyed its strongest Tuesday in key demos since November 2001."

Immediately after CBS aired the finale, a number of conspiracy theories began to float around. And by "flat around," I mean people with the inability to express themselves without the use of all caps and exclamation points started e.mailing me (please, please stop). Most of the talk centers around Joyce and Uchenna's admission to the "closed" flight in San Juan. Other theories involve common Amazing Race practices that are somehow shocking now. Here's a round-up of what I've been hearing and thoughts about each one:

Theory: CBS and/or producers ensured that two teams would be racing in Miami by asking American Airlines, a sponsor of the show, to let Joyce and Uchenna on the flight.

Possible rational explanation: Gate attendants went above and beyond for two people who were being followed by a camera crew. Joyce tells the Houston Chronicle that "when that plane came back to the airport and they let us on, I swear to you I felt like that was a miracle." This either supports the conspiracy theory, or proves that God is not only interested in affecting Survivor, but wants some Amazing Race action, too.

Theory: The bridge-jumping task was placed purposefully far away and/or kept closed until morning so Uchenna and Joyce could catch up.

Rational explanation: The show has had "equalizers" since its first season; they're controversial, but nothing new. This is what happens when you start watching a reality show during its finale and then try to find evidence to support your theory: You sound like a moron.

Theory: CBS wanted Uchenna and Joyce to win. They paid off Rob and Amber by paying for their wedding.

Rational explanation: If CBS wanted a likable couple to win, where the hell were they last season? Or in season three? And does anyone think for a second that Rob, competitor that he is, would allow himself to be used like a pawn and cause him to lose yet again?

Theory: Producers forced Uchenna and Joyce to pay for the cab to add drama.

Rational explanation: Of course they did. It's a game rule. As the New York Post explains this morning, "The game's rules say that contestants cannot do anything illegal -- and stealing a cab ride is, to say the least, breaking the law. Although the Agus were running low on cash before they even got into the taxi, the game's rules also forbid them from begging for cash in any U.S. airport.

Theory: CBS slowed the rotation of the earth so Uchenna and Joyce could catch up.

Possible explanation: This one is most likely true. If Les Moonves can keep Julie Chen as host of Big Brother for six seasons, he can do anything.

morning update:  On Live with Regis & Kelly - Kelly Ripa called the American Airlines plane that rolled back for Uchenna & Joyce a fix!

I was just about to post the same thing! :lol:

here's another one from the Toronto Star..

Question 1: why was the sugar factory in Aguadilla closed? What was the point of watching the onion chopping, airport begging, raft building, golf-ball whacking, taxi meandering and all the other manufactured drama if the teams must wait until 7:30 the next morning for the race to resume?

This is like having a marathon where every four miles the leader must wait until the other runners catch up. Totally weird. Rob and Amber, love them or hate them, had a significant lead at this stage. What kind of deranged show penalizes contestants for succeeding?

Question 2: during the last roadblock, when a team member was forced to plunge off a 10-metre bridge and swim 90 metres to the next clue, how did Team Romber manage to go the wrong way?

All three teams were on the bridge at the same time. Signs were posted. How could these Survivor veterans blindly dash into the woods? I watched the scene a few times and some critical segues are missing. Hmmm.

Question 3: why did the American Airlines flight to Miami allow Uchenna and Joyce to board? Forget Paula and Corey, this scene demands a PrimeTime Live investigation.

Let's see. The flight is to leave at 10:04 a.m. Rob and Amber, ahead of Uchenna and Joyce, persuade a clerk to put them on standby. They dash to the gate where, according to a P.A. message, final boarding is underway.

The airplane doors close. The Jetway starts retracting.

Okay, "reality" television is anything but real. Scenes are wildly edited to create characters and a compelling narrative. Fine. Good. Understood.

But is it possible that Uchenna and Joyce: a) became aware of the earlier flight on their own, B) got on the standby list, c) collected boarding passes, d) persuaded the gate attendant to call the pilot, and e) got permission to board, all in a few minutes?

In this post-9/11 environment, if this really happened without direct permission from Homeland Security, we should all start travelling with a camera crew. Very fishy.

Question 4: why did Romber have such difficulty finding the cigar shop in Little Havana? They breezed through previous episodes by co-opting the locals and taking nothing at face value. Why didn't they borrow a cellphone? Why did they rely upon directions from shrugging street urchins? Why did their taxi mysteriously vanish as they sprinted down the wrong street mistaking a Tire King for The King of Havanas?

By sharp contrast, Uchenna and Joyce's driver was so helpful

Great articles, thanks for posting them, salter-path and Burnt!! Definitely some food for thought.....

I had already pushed TAR out of mind now that it's over but some of those issues were tugging at my mind earlier too but I just kept ignoring them.

Gotta go mull things over in my head now..... :?

Anyone that wanted Rob and Amber to win is gonna say its a fix. Just cause Kelly said it was a fix does not mean it was. If the plane would have backed up for Rob and Amber. It would have been said hes so great he can get whatever he wants hes so smart. Whatever

Congrats to the Final 3!!!!!

And Meredith and Gretchen for making it to the final 4

Guest ranster627

I guess I wasn't watching closely enough ... I could have sworn the plane was never rolled back ... but that the ramp was re-extended for boarding ...

Uchenna says that producers didn't interfere; Rob fuels conspiracy theories.

Amazing Race 7 winners Uchenna and Joyce have responded directly to the rumors and conspiracy theories about their win. Uchenna was asked by TV Guide if producers provided any help. "None whatsoever," he said. He adds, "There was a moment where I looked at the ticket agent and I just glared at her. They didn't show it, but I kind of yelled at her, too. And that's when she called the pilot." Rob helped fuel the rumors by telling Regis and Kelly, "I'm not saying anything. America can judge." He stoked the flames, though, by adding, "When was the last time you ever have seen them close the door of a plane and then turn around and open it after they pulled the Jetway away?" Joyce has a response, reminding the world of the time in Argentina when Rob and Amber were allowed to board a plane at the last minute, although a jetway wasn't involved. "We don't know why he did it. But karma comes back around. If you remember, there was a point on the race in Argentina where we were on a plane, the plane closed and then they let Rob and Amber on! Joyce said, "You know, turnabout is fair play, and it's just good karma coming back. We waited for this and it waited for us."

Meanwhile, A CBS spokesperson tells the New York Post that

"Rob says everything with a grin. But such characterizations, even in jest, are completely without foundation. ... Reality series are always breeding grounds for conspiracy theories. Only an understanding gate agent and the goodwill of the pilot returned the Jetway back to the plane. Uchenna and Joyce treated everyone with kindness and respect thoughout race, and that karma was returned at a crucial moment."

"There was a moment where I looked at the ticket agent and I just glared at her. They didn't show it, but I kind of yelled at her, too. And that's when she called the pilot."

Okay since when would yelling at the people get someone on the plane? Seems to me that would set off some red flags.

Guest ranster627

I took her "kinda yelling" to really be "stern voice" ... I just do not believe they would not air yelling ....

I took her "kinda yelling" to really be "stern voice" ... I just do not believe they would not air yelling ....

yelling is yelling

I hate to disappoint so many of the Romber fans here in Morty's but this race was not fixed. There was no conspiracy to prevent Rob/Amber from winning and allow Uchenna/Joyce to win. Along with the team are the cameraman and sound man who the team isn't allowed to speak to or interact with. There is no producer there to "fix" things to jeopardize the integrity of the race.

If some folks would just read what Uchenna/Joyce have to say and less into what Rob hinted at in allowing "America to judge" about the pilot's decision and Kelly Ripa saying that there was a fix then everyone will settle down and let the Agus enjoy their victory.

Here are a few facts to think about: Rob/Amber were allowed onto a closed Argentina flight. Was that fair to the other teams or just good karma for Rob/Amber? Rob/Amber were allowed on a closed flight from PR to Miami. Was it fair to allow them on a closed flight to the detriment of another team just ouside or was that a lucky break for Rob/Amber? Was it unfair sportmanship when Rob/Amber told the ticket agent to tell Uchenna/Joyce that there weren't any earlier flights which she did or was that a brilliant strategic move? Was it fair on the pilot's part to allow another team on the flight and put both teams on an equal footing or a conspiracy by the producers to fix the race? What if Uchenna/Joyce had gotten on that closed flight right before Rob/Amber and Rob/Amber convince the pilot to let them on. Would there have been any conspiracy theories abound all over the net if the pilot had allow Rob/Amber to board after the jetway was removed? You decide. One thing I do know is that the FAA stated over at Fox News that it is the pilot's decision to allow a passenger or passengers onto the plane if the flight is already closed (i.e., Rob/Amber on that closed Miami flight) and the jetway has been pulled away. If the FAA say that the pilot's decision was discretional and his alone to make then I'm ok with that.

I'm sorry Romber's fans are disappointed over their loss but I'm sure this loss will garner them more money, more fame, and much more of a household name long after this season has faded into DVD history.

Before anyone takes my words out of context or copy/paste snippets from this post, read what's out there including this from Ucenna/Joyce.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2005/05/14/1039114.html

Great post Lady J, thanks for sharing.

I myself had a flight opened up when I was traveling. I was held up because of a security problem with another passenger, I thank god everyday that they didn

Who says it was fixed to make them lose?

It was fixed to keep the tension...

(and don't even TRY to tell us that the camera folks arn't in constant communication with someone with deep pockets)

If U/J didn't get on that flight, it was race over. And everyone knows that.

Guest ranster627

and if Romber hadn't had help many times they would not be in the final two ...

As for Kelly, her motivation? Simple, the headlines and endless controversy on the net ... sleazy tactic!

I know when I was watching the show and I saw them let U/J on the plane I thought the exact same thing "fix!!!" Because I've always seen/heard/experienced that once the gate is pulled away they won't let anyone else on.

However, I believe what everyone else has said on this subject and I defer to their expertise and own experiences. Flynwa works for an airline and I think it was jem that spoke of her experiences of getting on a plane after it gated to leave. So, I don't think this is a case of "fixing" the competition.

Even though it sucked for Romber that U/J were allowed to get on the plane... I don't believe it was because of any intervention on the production teams part... it's just that they finally got a REALLY lucky break. And they deserved it just as much as anyone esle that got lucky breaks on this show. Kudos to them!!!

I don't really care if Kelly made her comments about it being "fixed" or that Rob made his comments about leaving it to America... they're both just playing it up for entertainment value... Kelly's not a newsperson and Rob has shown from his first Survivor appearance... the boy is ALLLL about making TV "moments"... that's why they (CBS) likes him so much. IMO

Guest cappy
Despite this article, I still think the plane was purposely held for them. I have it on tape and I can assure you that the plane was already its take off but they drove the plane back to the gates.

Guest ranster627

It reruns tonight on OLN Network here for me, and I think I will tape it again ... my recollection is still that the plane never moved, but that the jetway was retracted ...