Sign in to follow this  
Guest ranster627

TAR 8

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

The Amazing Race: Family Edition

Although The Amazing Race is one of my favorite shows, I wasn't looking forward to this family edition

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

The race wasn't so amazing this week. Nine teams traveled to Washington, D.C., from Lancaster, Penn., and then on to the pit stop in Middleburg, Va. Along the way they had an espionage Road Block at the Tidal Basin and a detour involving yet another war reenactment. D

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATER COOLER

The Amazing Race

Okay, D.J. screamed like a little girl during that tandem bungee jump but hey, it got his mother some much-needed appreciation from him and it won the Paolos the only Fast Forward on the race, placing them in first. It's a good thing the Paolos started to play nice with each other, because other teams were commenting on their disrespectful banter. I felt a little bad for Mr. Paolo, who looked rather embarrassed when a Godlewski playfully smacked D.J. in the head and suggested he be nicer to his mother. In the long run it doesn't really matter if other teams dislike you. It's not as if they'll have to vote for you to win in the end, like on that other popular CBS reality show. The Weavers are winning no popularity contests with the other teams, but they've continued to prove that good racers don't need no stinkin' alliances on The Amazing Race. This is not the case for the Gaghans, who've made bringing up the rear a habit. Past episodes showed that this team could stand to ask for help at times. Still, they have grown on me. It must be their dogged dedication to appreciating each other's efforts. When the father says "Nice eyes, Carissa," and "Thank you for running so hard," they seem a little less strident than when I first met them. At least they've lasted long enough for the race to take them into international waters. This leg in Panama had everyone racing by boat across the canal. Pretty cool, I'd say. And though the Godlewskis were last to Phil's mat, this nonelimination round was their saving grace. Now stripped of all money, maybe they can sell a few pounds of the clothes on their backs to stay in the game.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

OK, we get it already, everybody hates the Weavers. Teams were clamoring to yield them, and the Paolos did. There must be something off-screen that those clever editors refuse to show us because I don't get the animosity towards this one team. At first I thought it might be the Weavers' devout nature that was annoying the other teams, but now I don't think so. Usually they are sequestered in their vehicle when praying for directions or are working alone on their challenge when they cry to the Almighty for success. So that can't be it. I don't know, maybe everyone else is jealous that the Weavers are running the race on their own terms without relying on any alliances. After all, they were raised not to trust others. But when their van got stuck in the mud, Mrs. Weaver sure didn't hesitate to try to rope in a local for help. Loved the who me? look he cast over his shoulder when she honked and gesticulated wildly to summon his assistance. Speaking of gesticulating wildly, those Godlewski sisters are a cacophonous bunch, aren't they? They argue at the drop of a hat and get all emotional just as quickly, though they survived the nonelimination round easily enough. I'm always amazed that teams manage to get money from locals with a camera crew hanging around. Like that's not a clue that they really don't need the money! On the other end of the spectrum are the Bransens. Does the father remind anyone else of Eeyore? He's a bit of a downer and I'm not quite sure how they are still in the race. I feel the same about the Paolos, who I did not think would last this long but there they are, hefting bananas around Costa Rica and coming in first place again. The show seems to have been therapeutic for them, which is nice to see. The Gaghans, however, brought up the rear and left the show with a tearful goodbye. They had such promise, being marathoners and all, but it wasn't meant to be.

Courtesy of:TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

I wonder why this week's show was a two-hour special? Maybe because we're down to five teams and we're officially at the halfway point? At least now the producers feel we can handle some more individual names. Hi Wally, hi Sharon, hi Rolly. OK that's all I know for now. Back to the all-encompassing family names. We got a double-dose of the nasty side of the Weavers. Who do those kids think they are to shun the soothing words of the good-natured Godlewskis at the racetrack? I mean, Mama Weaver asked for compassion as she suited up. Why did her kids rebuff it? Whatever. I liked how the race gave us a real pit stop at 25 laps and then sent teams onto the first of two show pit stops. By the end of the first hour, teams were back in America and the Godlewskis were in the lead. The Bransens came in last but were saved by a nonelimination round and the Weavers had a breakdown on the mat where they whined to Phil about other teams not liking them. Hour Two took teams to Mesa, Arizona, where they had to fly a loop in fighter planes, which looked like a lot of fun, and the littlest Paolo got to do a task. Again, the Godlewskis were first on the mat but this time the Paolos were last to arrive at the pit stop and were sent packing. Now who will supply the show's funniest one-liners? I guess we'll have to make do with the Linzes' bathroom humor. By the way, anyone else think they'll be one of the final three teams standing?

Finally the Linzes are in first place. I don't know what it is about the Linzes that makes me like them so much

To be continued

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK MATT

Question: What the heck is going on with The Amazing Race? Not only is the family edition the dullest race I have ever seen, with really lame challenges and truly annoying contestants, but now the production people are hindering the race. Last Tuesday (Nov. 29), the Linz family was in first place until the cameraman drained the car battery and then they hobbled into fourth place. Also, the Weavers got all their money and clothes taken away at the end of the previous week, but after a very messy task involving coal, they were seen looking fresh and clean. What happened? Who is paying for their gas and cleanup? Finally, one of this week's tasks involved waiting for Old Faithful to spout! Have the producers gotten so tired that they can't even get interested? Even Phil looks really bored. Watching the first seasons on GSN makes this edition look bad. I know you have been a big supporter of the show, so I am wondering what you think is going on.

The Amazing Race

And so the leg continued taking our merry teams into Wyoming and Montana. Did I say merry? My bad

The Family Edition of the Amazing Race may actually have redeemed itself with its finale, which in my estimation was the most entertaining episode of the season.

Ted, the Christian taxi driver: He chauffeured the Weavers around Montreal (cleanest city ever). It's not as if the Weavers weren't in love with him already. They filled the cab with effusive iterations of their admiration: "Ted, you rock! You're the man." But to find that he shared their faith and also had a penchant for navigational prayer when he uttered, "I pray to God that this is the American Pavilion," had me pretty convinced that the divine had intervened and the race was theirs to lose. Turns out it was and they did.

Linda Weaver's pearl of wisdom: "Always take the left

Courtesy of: AOL TELEVISION, THE TV TATTLER

The Linz Siblings Tell All After Winning 'The Amazing Race'

Dec. 14 -- And you think dealing with your family at holidays is hard. Imagine going on a road trip around North America, crammed 24-7 in a car or airplane, in a race with other families for $1 million. Makes your Aunt Sue's Thanksgiving dinner seem a little less claustrophobic, eh?

This season of 'The Amazing Race' introduced a new concept: teams of four, all related to each other. In the end, it was the Linz family