Sign in to follow this  
JEDI

Nick Maiorano (Beauty~Chanloh) - 9th eliminated (Apr. 6) - 2nd jury

Nick Maiorano

svr32_cast_800x1000_nickmaiorano.jpg

Name (Age): Nick Maiorano (30)

Tribe Designation: Beauty

Current Residence: Redondo Beach, Calif.

Personal Claim to Fame: I’ll always be a better listener than you. Meaning, I listen to people better than you do, I’m more interested in people than you are, and I accept people more than you do. And yes, sometimes I pretend to do these things, but at least I pretend, whereas you just check out and are narcissistic.

Inspiration in Life: I didn’t have a hero last time I applied and still don’t. No human is a hero. I’m my own hero because I love the person I am.

Hobbies: Writing, exercising and managing web projects.

Pet Peeves: These aren’t necessarily pet peeves, but angry, loud and rude people who don’t know how to hold a conversation.

3 Words to Describe You: Obsessive-compulsive, receptive and contrarian.

If You Could Have 3 Things on the Island What Would They Be and Why? Alcohol. There’s nothing like a truth serum to give the other contestants. A picture of other contestant’s loved ones to negotiate with. A vacuum, so people think I’m dumber than they initially thought.

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Courtney Yates and Jonathan Penner, personality wise. But I’m much more socially intelligent than they are.

Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: Winning a million dollars and showing the other contestants that signing up for my season of Survivor was a bad idea.

Why You Think You’ll “Survive� SURVIVOR: I’m athletic, but the most useful skill is my positive nature. Other members of the group will feed off my positive demeanor and remain upbeat or at least feel better once they have a conversation with me. Why You Think You Will Be the Sole SURVIVOR: It’s simple. I’m charismatic and manipulative. This isn’t something I’m proud to admit, but it’s true.

Following Episode 1: Nick and Anna might be a natural match based upon temperaments, but the downside for Nick is that the other men on his tribe do not appear to be as closely bonded as the women. Furthermore, Nick will be in trouble if he takes the moniker of "Beauty" to close to heart and let's that dominate how he presents himself to others.

https://t.co/TgKXWegqXs

Following Episode 2: Nick appears to get along well with his tribemates, although he was on the outside while watching the budding "bro-mance" between Tai and Caleb.

Following Episode 3: While Nick appears to play nice with his tribe, his emotional disconnection with its members might be his undoing, since there is nothing else that appears to be an issue.

Following Episode 4: Nick did not get much time on camera and appeared to be away from his tribemates during Caleb's emergency medical care. Based upon this and the previous episode, it appears Nick would have been the top candidate for elimination on his tribe. So the upcoming tribal reconfiguration should benefit him. He might wind up helping underdogs like Peter from the Brains tribe or Jason or Scot from the Brawn tribe if they should wind up together, especially because they have similar temperaments. Nick stands the greatest chance of being either an unremarkable elimination or a wild card that can shake up the plans of those who currently find themselves in a majority alliance. It all depends on who gets the same colored buff as him.

Nick Maiorano (new Chan Loh, formerly in "Beauty")
Following Episode 5: Nick might have been on the chopping block at the old "Beauty" tribe, but he received a reprieve from that designation after the tribal shakeup landed him with four new tribemates. Yet his seemingly phony personality and apparent physical strength will make him someone whom those four will not want to see reach the merge. Nick would have benefitted from being paired with Peter, his closest personality match. ...How much did the reconfiguration hurt or help Nick's chances (scale of 1 to 10, 1 hurt very much, 10 helped very much)? 3.

Following Episode 6: Nick appears to exhibit a light form of misogyny and egocentrism, which revealed itself during his interactions with Michele and Debbie. It appear highly unlikely that any of the women will want to work with him for the long term, which means Nick would be wise to maintain a male dominant merged tribe (currently six men and five women) . Unfortunately, his ego might mislead him into thinking he could control some of those women's votes.

Following Episode 7 (the merge): Nick was the star of this episode, garnering perhaps as much face time in this one as he had received in the previous six combined. He was a willing recipient of a vast amount of powerful information, which gives him a similar position as Scot previously garnered but without the perceived overconfidence. As much as Nick comes off as cocky in his private confessionals, his public discussions with his tribemates have seemed levelheaded and non-confrontational, which should allow him to fly under the radar for the next few votes, during which the more outspoken castaways will target each other. Nick and Michele appear to have a good working relationship, but it remains to be seen if they can remain on the same page as Tai and Julia as the numbers dwindle, since they might disagree on when to target a Brawn.

Following Episode 8: This elimination provides yet another example of the directors/editors of the program misdirecting the audience's perception of the castaways. Nick's promotional clip before the season and comments to his tribemates and the camera in most of the episodes made him appear rather full of himself. Yet his prominent role in the last episode, in which he displayed level-headedness in the face of Jason and Scot's overconfidence, was a ruse to make the audience believe he had risen above that nature. As it turns out, his true nature always was what it was, and his arrogance over the proposed seven-person Brawn-Beauty alliance came through too loudly to let it pass by the female members in it (Cydney, Julia, and Michele). Nick probably would have gone much further than any of the remaining men had it not been for his foolish displays of consulting with Julia following the reward (which Cydney called out) and then boldly declaring that a Brain would be eliminated during the immunity challenge (reiterated at tribal council). His conduct this episode is the embodiment of the adage, "Pride goeth before the fall." His elimination continues a trend in which the reasons for elimination had far less to do with endgame strategy and more to do with bad or suspicious feelings about the given castaway at a given time. In this case -- no different than Darnell, Jenny, Alecia, Peter, Liz, or Anna -- it was strictly a matter Nick proving to be untrustworthy (i.e. a so-called threat to maintaining his word at a later stage). Even though there were equal or greater threats still in the competition, his brash behavior created a bad feeling that made him a desired target at this point. Perhaps this is why this season has been a bit of a letdown in comparison to recent seasons, because the level of strategizing seems to be quite low and based upon momentarily-held sentiments.

Nick Maiorano (10th place, 2nd jury member)
Following Episode 12: Now that Jason is out, there is no castaway that Nick would clearly favor for Sole Survivor. He likely would reward Aubry over Michele, but like Scot, he seems to be open to listening to everyone's argument and making a fair decision.

Following Finale: Nick led the discussion by the jurors and succinctly pointed out what each finalist needed to do to win the jurors hearts and minds -- Michele to prove intelligence, Tai to demonstrate awareness of gameplay, Aubry to show confidence. He suggested that votes were up for grabs, although the fact that they went strictly along the Brawn-Beauty alliance lines indicates that not that many were actually up for grabs. By a narrow margin, Michele was the most successful in accomplishing what Nick's challenged the finalists to do.