Jeff Varner

survivor31_cast_1080x810_jeffvarner.jpg

Name: Jeff Varner

Season 2

Survivor: The Australian Outback

Current Age: 49

Hometown: Greensboro, NC

Almost 50 - 

Can't figure him out. He seems to appreciate being there. 

He seemed pretty overwhelmed. Easy prey for more savvy players.

For some reason, I don't really remember these people from the Outback. Especially this guy. But his "lost" persona might help him stay awhile.

Analysis of Jeff Varner (original Ta Keo Tribe).

Following Episode 1: In his confessionals, Jeff Varner often made reference to the concept, "Old School vs. New School," which will be an ongoing theme this season. I view this as a simpler way of referring to the game of Survivor before and after the introduction of Hidden Immunity Idols. Watching all of the seasons that have transpired since The Australian Outback, he understands that players must build relationships both inside and outside of their core alliances (usually founded on common values and temperaments), as the game can change on a dime and contingency plans must be in place. It was nice to see him and the other "Old School" players lead the way in those discussions.

Following Episode 2: I really liked Jeff Varner's game-play this episode. He showed that he is willing to play both sides. Yet he did it in a way that does not demonstrate duplicity as much as fairness and inclusiveness (contrary to Shirin and Spencer's exclusiveness). Similarly, he was able to step back and let Terry Deitz and others carry the flag of his ultimate agenda. Jeff Varner will have to tap-dance around a lot of landmines if he continues to play this way, but he has executed it perfectly so far.

I like that he went in to play the game. I do think he's over zealous though and almost playing too hard right out of the gate. Some times you need to hang back and observe people a bit. I think he's more intent on making big game moves too early on. I wonder if tonight will soften that someone, or will it drive him to play even harder?

Season 2 is the only season I haven't seen.

I watched all the others as they aired.

Apparently, it was an incredible season.

I've always meant to watch it, but never got around to it.

And with so many good shows on, these days, I don't think I'll manage to find the time.

So having never seen Jeff Varner before, he left me impressed.

He came in ready to learn, and to step up his game.

Honestly, he has had a big impact on this season, and it's a shame things worked out this way because I think he would have had even more of an impact, had he stayed.

I know that some people do not like to see returning players, but it's a part of the show (for ratings, mostly), and I'd be willing to see him again at some point in the future, although I think that this second time around was enough to satisfy him, and he would be as likely to turn down another opportunity as he would be to accept it, especially since he's not getting any younger.

Analysis of Jeff Varner (Angkor Tribe, original Ta Keo)

Following Episode 3: Varner made a bone-head move by attempting to send signals to Kelly Wigglesworth in front of the remaining 16 castaways. As much as he may have seen that occur in past seasons of Survivor on television, he should have known that, if caught, it flies in the face of Survivor etiquette. He weakened his own original tribe by having to find a way to take the focus off of him. While he was fortunate the Abi-Maria/Peih-Gee conflict gave that to him, his gestures will be a source of concern for all original Bayon members going forward.

Following Episode 4: Jeff's tenuous position within his tribe was threatened even further when he sustained an injury during the challenge. The vote which eliminated him was strictly based upon his remaining tribemates desire to not to lose the next immunity challenge. It also follows the trend of eliminating contestants who have demonstrated a propensity for scheming too much early on. Jeff probably deserved a better fate, but he was on an underdog tribe since Day 1 and suffered from the numbers. Certainly there were castaways on other tribes that deserved to be eliminated before him. His argument at tribal council for eliminating Woo because of his dominance at individual immunity challenges was a weak one, as that stage of the competition is still between four and six eliminations away, not to mention how forming an alliance with Woo might help to eliminate other strong physical competitors on the other tribes (e.g. Joe, Terry).

- http://t.co/U8dgCfNiOj