WickedOne

Survivor 31: 2nd chance (Cambodia) - General Discussion

HELLO? 

Where's the new cast of island rats list?

scary-face.jpg

I thought the opening night show was another excellent episode to get you into the season. Did not see the blindside coming since they did not have a chance to strategize after challenge. 

Maybe its a hangover from the horrid season of Big Brother, but WTF was that vote? I have my doubts that Abi was actually voted as a fan favorite. She offers nothing but contention and is somehow saved? I refuse to surround myself with lunatics like this, but every show seems to advance that. I have never felt stronger that reality shows are 90% scripted with very poor actors. Depressed at the social expirements they used to be.

Maybe its a hangover from the horrid season of Big Brother, but WTF was that vote? I have my doubts that Abi was actually voted as a fan favorite. She offers nothing but contention and is somehow saved? I refuse to surround myself with lunatics like this, but every show seems to advance that. I have never felt stronger that reality shows are 90% scripted with very poor actors. Depressed at the social experiments they used to be.

I don't know if Abi was legitimately voted to return to survivor. But, the vote last night...since all these players are veterans and most of them probably got sent home by the stronger players that formed an alliance, the weaker players came together to take out a strong player. Since the players had already separated in to two groups of five, it only took the weakest player in the men's (stronger) group to flip. 

I don't know if Abi was legitimately voted to return to survivor. But, the vote last night...since all these players are veterans and most of them probably got sent home by the stronger players that formed an alliance, the weaker players came together to take out a strong player. Since the players had already separated in to two groups of five, it only took the weakest player in the men's (stronger) group to flip.

I didnt see a men's group. That would leave Kelly, Terry, & Woo in that group. But also would not call Spencer weak. My point is good people who play hard are appreciated. Anymore it seems to me only the crazy lunatic drama generating jerks advance. I have grown tired of rewarding bad behavior. Playing hard and being an Ahole do not need to be rewarded anymore.

But I get what you were getting at.

I think Survivor winners are generally good people that I'm happy to see win. There were only a couple that could be considered jerks, and Tyson actually grew on me by the end.  :)

There was a car salesman that won an early season that was a jerk, but for whatever reason, I predicted he would win from day 1, so I didn't mind. :)

Is the forum going to set up individual threads for Survivor players?

Could've done without the old guys, PG Law who is still faceless to me, Shirin and that perpetual red nose.

there were other player that were more interesting to bring back

Is the forum going to set up individual threads for Survivor players?

Due to overwhelming demand, threads have now been created.

There had better be pages and pages of insightful observations, witty comments and joyful banter on each of those threads by season's end! ;)

Don't let me down, Mortycians!!!

There had better be pages and pages of insightful observations, witty comments and joyful banter on each of those threads by season's end! ;)

I get in trouble for MY witty commentary....

giphy.gif

Thank you Jedi Master - I know you went to a lot of trouble for us whiny azzes.  :devilish:

So...

according to the "Next time, on Survivor!" preview at the end of the last episode...

the two tribes will be broken up and three new tribes formed.

I assume that since there are 9 men and 9 women left, they might have the men pick buffs from one bag, and the women another, in the interests of fairness.

(But then again, Survivor is far from always being fair!)

But the thing I'm really wondering about it the Hidden Immunity Idol.

In the last episode, we saw Kelley Wentworth (who had found it in the previous episode) BURY her idol outside of her camp.

Assuming that 2 of the 3 new tribes will occupy the camps of the previous 2 tribes, and the third tribe will go to a new site, she has just a one in three (33%) chance of returning to the camp she was in, and being able to dig up that idol.

If she does NOT go back to that camp, will Survivor production go dig it up for her?

(What I mean is, since she was the one to find it, would it still be regarded as "hers", even if they get separated?)

Or perhaps they will dig it up and give it to her having her pretend she had changed her mind and wanted to keep it with her when going to challenges and tribal council.

I guess we will see how it plays out on the next episode.

goodbye Shirin - was happy to see you go on your season, happy to see you go now too - hope Keith does well!!

revolting woman needs to melt away foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So...

according to the "Next time, on Survivor!" preview at the end of the last episode...

the two tribes will be broken up and three new tribes formed.

I assume that since there are 9 men and 9 women left, they might have the men pick buffs from one bag, and the women another, in the interests of fairness.

(But then again, Survivor is far from always being fair!)

But the thing I'm really wondering about it the Hidden Immunity Idol.

In the last episode, we saw Kelley Wentworth (who had found it in the previous episode) BURY her idol outside of her camp.

Assuming that 2 of the 3 new tribes will occupy the camps of the previous 2 tribes, and the third tribe will go to a new site, she has just a one in three (33%) chance of returning to the camp she was in, and being able to dig up that idol.

If she does NOT go back to that camp, will Survivor production go dig it up for her?

(What I mean is, since she was the one to find it, would it still be regarded as "hers", even if they get separated?)

Or perhaps they will dig it up and give it to her having her pretend she had changed her mind and wanted to keep it with her when going to challenges and tribal council.

I guess we will see how it plays out on the next episode.

Well, they didn't have the men and women pick new buffs from separate sources, HOWEVER, somehow each of the three tribes formed had 3 men and 3 women! Awesome!

As for Kelley Wentworth and her Hidden Immunity Idol, the point was rendered moot, because she remained on the same tribe she was on previous to the shuffle.

AND, about 15 minutes into tonight's show, in a diary confessional, she mentioned that "the Idol is still in my bag", so she must have dug it back up at some point.

So... let's talk about Hidden Immunity Idols (HII).

This season starts, there are 2 tribes... and 2 idols.

NOW there are 3 tribes, so... are there 3 idols?

I think there are.

The first two have been found, and belonged to the two original tribes.

So the remaining one would have to be at the new Angkor tribe.

Which means that Tasha, Savage, Woo and Abi have a chance to find it.

And Woo has the most to gain, so he should start looking around for it.

(But he doesn't seem bright enough to realize that, somehow.)

It's interesting how production has changed it up and not given any "freebie" clues away.

Instead, the survivors have been expected to just know enough to look for them, a technique first pioneered by Russel Hantz, with great success.

And having the actual idols hidden AT challenges, where they can only be grabbed DURING those challenges? Genius!

(I assume they only actually hide them when they know that a clue has been found by a survivor.)

It's always interesting when an idol comes into play at tribal council; moreso when no one has a clue that their target has one in their possesion and intends to use it.

Hopefully, we will see some drama from idol use this season.

So... for anyone keeping track, out of ten original members of Ta'Keo, the only ones still left in the game are Spencer, Abi-Maria, Kelly and Kelley.

Meanwhile, from original Bayon, everyone is still in the game except for Monica.

When the original two tribes were shuffled into three tribes, each of the three tribes had 2 members who were outnumbered by 4 members of what used to be the "other" tribe.

(On new Bayon we had Spencer and Kelly Wiglesworth, on new Ta'Keo we had Terry and Kelley Wentworth, and on the brand new Angkor it was former Bayon members Savage and Tasha.)

All 6 of those survivors survived that ordeal.

When the three tribes were re-shuffled back into the original 2 tribes this past episode, Kelley Wentworth was the only original Ta'Keo on the Bayon tribe, with 6 original Bayon members.

Over on Ta'Keo, we had 4 original Ta'Keo members and 3 original Bayon members. But the Ta'Keo bond was too weak, because first they tried to target Spencer, an original Ta'Keo, and then they ended up voting out Woo, another original Ta'Keo, instead of ousting Savage, an original Bayon, who was behind the drama which was making Ciera, another original Bayon, feel threatened.

This frequent tribal shuffling, over short intervals, has perhaps blurred the original tribal lines, which could be a good thing going into this final merge shown in the preview for next week's episode.

I'm loving the unpredictability of where alliances will fall after the merge.  In addition to connections to original or current tribemates, you have the played-in-the-same-season connections and those who have met through survivor appearances.  This can only be good for us viewers.

True.

That actually played a major role back in the season which Amber Brkich won, because when the tribes were shuffled, Amber was the only one who switched, finding herself expendable to the rest of her new tribemates if they were to lose an immunity challenge, which actually came to pass immediately. But Rob Mariano made a quick plea/deal with Lex (they knew each other a little from some Survivor appearances) for Amber's protection, which he went back on at the first opportunity, which may ultimately have cost him the game, as he lost to Amber 3 votes to 4.

For a more detailed trip down memory lane, here's what Wikipedia says about it:

Early on, Mariano and Brkich agreed to form an alliance. After the game was underway, due to a twist that "absorbed" one of the three tribes, Jenna Lewis and Rupert Boneham joined the Chapera tribe. Rob and Amber quickly fortified a long-term alliance with the tribe's two new members. The Chapera tribe then enjoyed a lengthy winning streak, winning immunity the next three times. The group did lose one member, however, when Sue Hawk opted to leave due to an unpleasant encounter with Richard Hatch.

Later on, a tribal shuffle had every contestant remain with their same tribe but switch tribe names and camps, with the exception of Brkich, who remained on the Chapera tribe with Lex van den Berghe, Shii Ann Huang, Jerri Manthey, and Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien. Chapera went on to lose the next challenge and Mariano bargained with van den Berghe to save Brkich in return for Mariano's help later down the road. van den Berghe, Huang, and Vavrick-O'Brien saved Brkich and eliminated Manthey. In the following episode, the merge occurred, and Mariano voted to eliminate van den Berghe, going back on his promise. From there on, Mariano and Brkich managed to maintain several alliances; they were allied with Boneham and Lewis, with Tom Buchanan, and with Alicia Calaway. Mariano and Brkich proceeded through the game, eventually finding themselves in the final four with Lewis and Boneham after breaking ties with Calaway and Buchanan.

With four contestants remaining, Brkich won her first individual Immunity challenge, and she and Mariano convinced Jenna Lewis to vote out Boneham, reminding him that they would draw rocks otherwise, with a 2 of 3 chance one of she or her main ally Boneham would be eliminated anyway, and that none of the other three could beat Boneham in a jury vote should he reach the final. Mariano won the next and final immunity and chose Brkich to continue with him to the final two. Facing the jury, the couple met criticism for their aggressive and underhanded gameplay. Rob took the brunt of the criticism, as he was seen as the leader of their dominant 2 person alliance, and was deemed by the jury as the one with more blood on his hands. He took particularly harsh comments from betrayed friends and allies Tom Buchanan, Alicia Calaway, Lex van den Berghe, and Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien, 3 out of 4 who would vote Amber to win the game instead. Amber admitted to being there partly by riding Rob's coattails and letting Rob do more of the dirty work while she worked behind the scenes, but argued her impressive overall social and underrated quiet strategic game as a key part of both getting to the finals together. She also seemed to get less blame by the jury for decisions she and Rob largely made together, and thus wisely stayed somewhat in the background during the final Tribal Council.

In the season finale several months later, the couple was revealed to still be dating. Just before the votes were read, Mariano proposed to Brkich and she accepted. Moments later, it was revealed that, in a 4–3 decision, Amber Brkich had won the game. Mariano received votes from Lewis, Boneham and Vavrick-O'Brien.

Wow.

Hard to believe the three guys actually went through with changing their vote.

I mean, Jeremy explained it well, beforehand, when he said that doing this would mean blind-siding 4 people from his alliance, and only gaining an uneasy alliance with the three others at the bottom of the pecking order.

And Spencer seemed like he was not able to figure it out with certainty either way.

Fishbach told the two of them that their group of three was not at the top of the totem pole, which leads me to wonder who he things is up there, because if it's not the three at the bottom, then which of the alliance of eight does he think is sitting as top 3?

Joe, Wigglesworth and Tasha?

Kimmi, Keith and either Joe, Tasha or Wiggles?

In any case, even though it is near-impossible for Joe to be able to win all remaining immunity challenges this season, I was glad to see him do it one more time tonight, because otherwise he might have been the one to go, and with him still in the game, the situation seems more likely to remain in flux.

(They should stop calling it "The Immunity Necklace" already, and just start calling it "The Joe"!)

The most recent elimination took place on Day 32. Typically, the last elimination before the finale takes place on Day 36, creating the format of tribal councils on each of the last three nights -- two eliminations and then the vote for Sole Survivor. Since there are never more than three days between tribal councils -- barring an emergency evacuation or player quitting -- it stands to reason there will be two eliminations in the next episode. The likely scenario is an episode with one elimination halfway through (on Day 34) and then another at the end (on Day 36), which would leave five castaways in the finale and three finalists. It is less likely that there will be two castaways eliminated at the same tribal council, because that would violate the three-day rule, unless it occurs on Day 35 instead of Day 36. The only other scenario is just one elimination on Day 35, at which point the remaining six castaways are informed, for the first time ever, there will be four finalists, and there is an extra day (from Day 35) for the them to adjust before the next immunity challenge and tribal council (on Day 37).

- http://t.co/U8dgCfNiOj