Battle of the Block

bbjag

Am I the only one who really am not all that happy with the Battle of the Block being back this year.  Last year it was cool as it was never done before and was kind of cool to see how it played out, but doing it again just screams lazy to me. 

My biggest problem with it is I think it encourages the HG to throw the competitions since a HG could go from being HOH to being evicted in one week and even if the HG who gets dethroned as HOH doesn't get evicted they have two HG who are now going after them.  To me its getting blood on your hands for no reason. 

The other reason is it seemed like all last year one HOH would almost control the whole thing and dictate who each side will nominate and that person always seemed to win the BOB comp. 

I just think they should have gone back to the original (post BB1) format and only have one HOH.  They seriously could have done so much better twists but instead it seems they are using this season to redo twists from past seasons.  Whats next Coaches?

I'm not looking forward to it either. I agree with all your points. I was shocked to hear that it was a fan favorite but rather relieved to hear that the initial feed back from other feed followers is that they dislike it as well. Clearly CBS either just called it that or polled fans of the TV portion of the show.

Guest 6Borders

I'm not looking forward to it either. I agree with all your points. I was shocked to hear that it was a fan favorite but rather relieved to hear that the initial feed back from other feed followers is that they dislike it as well. Clearly CBS either just called it that or polled fans of the TV portion of the show.

I seriously doubt Battle of the Block was a fan favorite.  I recall a lot of negative chat about it last year (most of the reasons bbjag stated above) and there is a lot of disbelief in chat and on the forums about it this year.

No doubt Grodner and Meeham decided it was a fan fav. just like they swear up and down that 99% of the fans just LOVE

to see returning players!

Dont like it at all trying to figure out the fan fav????? I don't see it oh well. Nothing we can do about it I guess. I will give it a couple of weeks and see. I don't want a repeat of last years predictablity.

You guys must not have been paying attention last season. EVERYONE loved BotB! Remember the article on the front page of the New York Times that it was the best reality show twist ever! Remember how the ratings nosedived as soon as they ended the twist? And then there were all the attempted suicides from hardcore fans when they went back to one HOH. And Grodner's off season greatest twist poll on CBS.com that brought the site down for several days due to the masses of fans voting for BotB over and over. Make no mistake, BotB is America's favorite twist of all time!

I liked the concept of BotB, when I first heard about it.

But after the houseguests quickly figured out the best way to deal with it (nominating the weak players and floater-types, so as not to get dethroned), which did not take long at all, it quickly became stale.

Hopefully, the BotB will last a lot shorter this time than it did last year.

(If they are changing twists every week, maybe we can hope this only last Week 1? Yeah, I doubt it.)

There is a reason Alison Grodner has the nickname "lazy" I guess.  She recycles old twists and can never come up with something original or even imaginative.  It seems ever since Big Brother 8 the twists have gotten dumber and dumber every year.  I love the twists that involve the Houseguests that can change the way people play the game and I am OK with smaller twists like what they did in Canada for season 3.  Make everyone the first HOH was great to see and totally shocked the house.  Making the HG enter into a house with nothing in it was awesome to see and made people think.  Twists that mess up the game are just not fun. MVP from a few years ago was DUMB and predictable as everyone knew it was going to be Elissa from the beginning.  Coaches season was a great season I felt but more because of the game play and less because of the coaches.

I just don't like the two HOH's with the BotB.  If the houseguests have one brain cell they can figure out a way to Keep both HOH's safe and which person to jointly evict.  Please let there be a plan to circumvent that technique!!

Guest 6Borders

There is a reason Alison Grodner has the nickname "lazy" I guess.  She recycles old twists and can never come up with something original or even imaginative.  It seems ever since Big Brother 8 the twists have gotten dumber and dumber every year.  I love the twists that involve the Houseguests that can change the way people play the game and I am OK with smaller twists like what they did in Canada for season 3.  Make everyone the first HOH was great to see and totally shocked the house.  Making the HG enter into a house with nothing in it was awesome to see and made people think.  Twists that mess up the game are just not fun. MVP from a few years ago was DUMB and predictable as everyone knew it was going to be Elissa from the beginning.  Coaches season was a great season I felt but more because of the game play and less because of the coaches.

Agreed, and it's not just that Godner is the laziest producer on the planet but she's also a super control freak and

does not want to consider anyone else's ideas!  I've seen and heard TONS of really good and very do-able ideas from the fans over the years.  She even said a few years back when she and Rich were interviewed that she won't even take ideas from her family members.

Remember back (around BB3-4) when Marcellas and that lady radio talk show person were co-hosting a show for BB (I think it was "House Calls" or something).  There was a contest in which the fans called in their ideas and they were supposed to get (I think) some item from the BB House and have their idea used on a future show.  There were lots of really good and well thought out ideas and many people even had names for them and the comp they were best suited for.  Not one of those ideas was ever used!

Grodner does not care because it's never going to effect her bottom line or cash flow even if she put Jessie on every single season!